PDA

View Full Version : *** OFFICIAL * 4/11 That's as many wins as we had against the Tribe in 2013 POSTGAMER

doublem23
04-11-2014, 10:44 PM
Have fun

Tlou_2lMLAc

guillensdisciple
04-11-2014, 10:48 PM
Not sale's best outing, but he gets his third win anyway. Potential Cy young out there on the mound folks.

This team has an engine, and seems to will runs across the plate. I honestly never feel uncomfortable with this team at the plate. Refresing, awesome, etc.

Still young in the season, but we will see a better team on the south side and a potential winner next year.

Boondock Saint
Abreu has been the guy putting up the sexy power numbers, but it's Eaton who's impressed me the most. He's been awesome for us. He takes pitches, extends at bats and gets on base reliably. I can't say enough good things about how he's started off this season.

Brian26
Anytime you beat Swish, Francona and the Great Kipnis, that's a good thing.

http://www.midatlanticgateway.com/resourcecenter/interviews/valentine/images/Wahoos_Leg_color.jpg

Brian26
04-11-2014, 10:50 PM
Abreu has been the guy putting up the sexy power numbers, but it's Eaton who's impressed me the most. He's been awesome for us. He takes pitches, extends at bats and gets on base reliably. I can't say enough good things about how he's started off this season.

Semien is having good ABs, and Gillaspie is benefitting from hitting in front of Abreu. The first four guys in the order have been fantastic. Add in DeAza, Ramirez and Flowers with surprising numbers, and the offense is just outstanding right now.

LoveYourSuit
04-11-2014, 10:51 PM
Must be nice finally for Sale and Quintana to be getting run support.

No decisions, No more.

LoveYourSuit
04-11-2014, 10:53 PM
Semien is having good ABs, and Gillaspie is benefitting from hitting in front of Abreu. The first four guys in the order have been fantastic. Add in DeAza, Ramirez and Flowers with surprising numbers, and the offense is just outstanding right now.

A game changer in the heart of the order can work wonders.

Zakath
04-11-2014, 10:56 PM
First time the Sox have scored 9 without the benefit of a home run since an 18-9 loss to Minnesota on 9/4/12.

1-3 in the lineup tonight: 5-9, 5 R, 5 RBI, 5 BB, 3 K.

Good to get the second win over the Tribe tonight, because I don't really feel comfortable with the pitching matchup tomorrow. Masterson is 8-5 lifetime vs. the Sox with 4 CG and 2 shutouts and a 2.22 ERA in 24 appearances (19 starts), while Paulino has been aweless so far.

Noneck
04-11-2014, 10:56 PM

I was going to say exactly what you said. Spanky has been very very good.

WisSoxFan
04-11-2014, 10:59 PM
Am I crazy or does the start of this season have a little 1977 feel to it? Scoring runs in bunches albeit not with the long ball as much, poor defense and iffy pitching leading to some football games. A team that is fun after a season that was a disaster.

Tragg
04-11-2014, 11:00 PM
This team is taking some walks. 9 tonight.
What a refreshing change.

guillensdisciple
04-11-2014, 11:03 PM
So far this season is that nice shower you take after a long day.

DrCrawdad
04-11-2014, 11:03 PM
Anytime you beat Swish, Francona and the Great Kipnis, that's a good thing.

http://www.midatlanticgateway.com/resourcecenter/interviews/valentine/images/Wahoos_Leg_color.jpg

I'm so glad to see the Sox beat the Indians. I'm oh so sick of Swisher's antics.

First time the Sox have scored 9 without the benefit of a home run since an 18-9 loss to Minnesota on 9/4/12.

1-3 in the lineup tonight: 5-9, 5 R, 5 RBI, 5 BB, 3 K.

Good to get the second win over the Tribe tonight, because I don't really feel comfortable with the pitching matchup tomorrow. Masterson is 8-5 lifetime vs. the Sox with 4 CG and 2 shutouts and a 2.22 ERA in 24 appearances (19 starts), while Paulino has been aweless so far.

Very interesting stat about the HR.

anewman35
04-11-2014, 11:04 PM
I think it's fair to say that there aren't going to be a lot of games this year where it's just over early. Seems like this offense can break out at almost any time and get a few, and we know that with this bullpen no lead is safe. It'll be heartbreaking some days, but you can't really complain about exciting baseball...

DrCrawdad
04-11-2014, 11:08 PM
Am I crazy or does the start of this season have a little 1977 feel to it? Scoring runs in bunches albeit not with the long ball as much, poor defense and iffy pitching leading to some football games. A team that is fun after a season that was a disaster.

77 was one of my favorite years of Sox baseball. 2005 is #1. 1983 is #2.

1993? I was not following the Sox much in those years.

Soxman219
04-11-2014, 11:14 PM
Isn't it nice to see a team that actually takes pitches and NOT swing at the first pitch like this team did last year?

slavko
04-11-2014, 11:42 PM
Isn't it nice to see a team that actually takes pitches and NOT swing at the first pitch like this team did last year?

Dunn looked comfy at the dish, didn't try to do too much, nice results. Nice AB by Gillaspie when he doubled in those 2 runs. You could see him getting better reads on Shaw's every pitch. Helps to have a real leadoff man, as you guys have pointed out already. Sale getting a win on an off night is a start on the team atoning for last year's lack of support for Chris.

Pitching still has me scared silly as I thought before the season. Wish I was left-handed and could get Downs's money for doing nothing. I can do nothing too.

doublem23
04-12-2014, 12:00 AM
I think it's fair to say that there aren't going to be a lot of games this year where it's just over early. Seems like this offense can break out at almost any time and get a few, and we know that with this bullpen no lead is safe. It'll be heartbreaking some days, but you can't really complain about exciting baseball...

After last year, I'll take the team that can hit but might blow some games 11 times out of 10 over the team that you know is dead the second they go down by 2-3 runs.

cards press box
04-12-2014, 12:43 AM

I agree. Eaton has been tremendously impressive.

Hey, Andy, guess what?

:andy

:winner

TDog
04-12-2014, 02:46 AM

After 11 games in 1977, the Sox were 8-3 and a game in first ahead of 8-5 Oakland, which would end up losing 98 games that year. The pitching on this Sox team is much better, for all the grief over this year's pitching. The defense is much better. This team might not, probably won't win 90 games because there aren't as many really bad baseball teams in the league as there were in 1977, but the 2014 White Sox could well hit more home runs than the 1977 White Sox and might finish closer to first place.

I have tended to look at this team as one that would get better as the season goes along, unlike the 1977 White Sox, which played 6 games under .500 after finishing July in first place. I was expecting Davidson to come up midseason. Garcia going down might slow the development of the offense, but Viciedo looks like he could be growing as a hitter. I think he showed some growth last season.

Eaton is impressive. Abreu is impressive, but I think I'm most impressed with the way Gillaspie and Ramirez are hitting. Gillaspie is looking like the hitter he seemed destined to be in the minors. Ramirez seems to be on everything. And it seems all the more impressive because he has never hit exceptionally well in April, although he ended up with a good offensive year in 2013. Maybe part of it is having Abreu as a teammate. Maybe he and Gillaspie are benefiting from having Abreu in the lineup. Maybe Gillaspie this year is more determined to stay in the majors with Davidson behind him than he was last year when the season was lost. Maybe the new hitting coach is helping some of these hitters get the most out of their abilities.

The White Sox aren't playing great baseball right now. But they won without their best starter, one of the league's best starters, not even turning in a quality start. The offense seems to have come together. If the pitching comes together, this could become a pretty good team that isn't just a fun surprise but a team that is better, longer than the 1977 White Sox.

Chez
04-12-2014, 07:35 AM
Kipnis can rake, but he's got to be one of the weakest defensive second basemen in MLB. I think Nellie's statue on the concourse has more range than Kipnis.

Railsplitter
04-12-2014, 07:43 AM
:bandance::bandance:

Get the pitching and fielding in order and this team can be dangerous.

DumpJerry
04-12-2014, 08:16 AM
Hire Walker.

soxfanreggie
04-12-2014, 08:51 AM
I'm enjoying watching this team: it's exciting watching the guys play hard and with so much potential. Right now, they're utilizing that potential and it's leading to wins. Kept it up, guys!

You're right newman, this team can't be counted out. I've coached some teams where being down 2-3 runs was like jumping across a canyon. Then, we had other teams that could put up 3 runs here and 5 runs there to get us back into any game.

ChiSoxGal85
04-12-2014, 09:06 AM
I went to the game with my DH and his friend. What a beautiful night it was for an April game, around 65 degrees and light winds. It didn't get chilly until at least 10 pm.

We went without tickets in hand, so at the window we got seats in the Kzone (Sec 154) for $20 each. That came with a red Kzone tshirt, and they even had several sizes to choose from - including XXL, which made my DH happy. Although 154 doesn't the greatest viewing angle, it does have a nice view of the Sox bullpen. For the price and getting the Tshirt, I thought that was a great deal. When I checked in with my MLB At the Ballpark app, I got a free White Sox magazine with a big poster of Jose Abreu in it. Nice!

The crowd was small for a Friday night with nice weather. A lot of the Kzone seats were filled, at least in the half I was in, but between 154 and say 146, it was pretty sparse. The upper deck was pretty empty and even the outfield seats were nowhere near filled. Not all the food stands were open on the lower level, and I saw some pretty lengthy lines for food. However, I got some nachos from a cart without waiting at all.

Sale was definitely not at his best. But this Sox team is not the same team...9 runs against a Cleveland team that owned them last year, and not a single home run??? Wow. There was plenty of excitement and run scoring. I've said it before - I'm a big Eaton fan, and I love what he brings to the team. Conor Gillapsie is maddeningly inconsistent in the field, but what he's bringing to the plate seems to be making up for it, at least for now. Adam Dunn turned in a nice (if unusual) performance. Abreu - holy crap, he looks like he's hardly trying, and then ball nearly goes out of the park. He was obviously pressing in the 5th when he struck out but he settled down after that.

De Aza got a lot of grief from our corner of the crowd after overrunning that foul by Swisher. Speaking of Swisher, he got a pretty hearty round of boos everytime he was up to bat.

All in all, I had a great time. Personally, I'm happier at a game when it's less crowded from a seating and traffic situation. But I love watching this team play and I think if the Sox keep playing this way, they will come.

amsteel
04-12-2014, 09:40 AM
Now just don't lose the next 17 against the Tribe.

MISoxfan
04-12-2014, 09:50 AM
After those years in the early 2000s when we had such strong hitting, but never quite the starting 1-5 we needed it was easy to say I would rather sacrifice offense for good pitching. After last season I think we just about reached the absolute limit with awful bats and strong arms.

I'd rather have an average hitting team with strong pitching than strong hitting team with average pitching, but I'd still rather have a strong hitting team with terrible pitching than the opposite. At least it doesn't feel like the game is over the minute we give up two runs.

Tragg
04-12-2014, 10:17 AM
Lot of good things to like.
Gillaspie looks like a major leaguer. We'll have nice depth there with Davidson near ready.
Semien playing well. It will be interesting to see how we handle this when Beckham returns....have to get Beckham nicely dressed up for a trade.

doublem23
04-12-2014, 10:20 AM
After those years in the early 2000s when we had such strong hitting, but never quite the starting 1-5 we needed it was easy to say I would rather sacrifice offense for good pitching. After last season I think we just about reached the absolute limit with awful bats and strong arms.

FWIW, last year's Sox team was HISTORICALLY bad offensively. I think the Sox's team total was about 3 oWAR for the season. It's almost impossible to not register 10 oWAR in a full season. Below 5, I don't think a team has been so inept offensively in at least 40 years.

doublem23
04-12-2014, 10:22 AM
The crowd was small for a Friday night with nice weather. A lot of the Kzone seats were filled, at least in the half I was in, but between 154 and say 146, it was pretty sparse. The upper deck was pretty empty and even the outfield seats were nowhere near filled. Not all the food stands were open on the lower level, and I saw some pretty lengthy lines for food. However, I got some nachos from a cart without waiting at all.

Yeah the crowd was announced at around 15,000, I think. Small crowd for a Friday night but after last year's debacle, they're going to struggle to draw well for a little bit. Last year's team was easily the worst, least likable Sox team I can ever remember. I'm sure they have a tiny season ticket base to count on right now. But I have no doubt that if they keep playing well crowds will get better.

hawkjt
04-12-2014, 10:29 AM
Sox lead MLB in runs scored.....I like that.

Eaton has been incredible....that two out nobody on drag bunt for a single sparked a rally...that is a beautiful thing.

We need men on base in front of Jose, and Eaton has been doing it.
Same with Flowers. Heard him say today that he is comfortable hitting 9th with Alexei getting on base in front of him, and Eaton moving him along behind him...that trio has been on base an insane amount.

Love beating the Tribe.

ChicagoG19
04-12-2014, 10:44 AM
Yeah the crowd was announced at around 15,000, I think. Small crowd for a Friday night but after last year's debacle, they're going to struggle to draw well for a little bit. Last year's team was easily the worst, least likable Sox team I can ever remember. I'm sure they have a tiny season ticket base to count on right now. But I have no doubt that if they keep playing well crowds will get better.

I think you are right with the small season ticket base. You can see quite a bit of lower deck seats available in the infield. That being said, if the team keeps hitting, winning, and the weather warms up, they will begin to draw.

whitem0nkey
04-12-2014, 11:52 AM
at the game close to the K zone, they had some vocal sox fans, and 2 outspoken Indian fans, they kept cheering against each other for most of the game. but some how they united in a Detroit sucks chant.