PDA

View Full Version : The First 10 Games

Madvora
04-11-2014, 10:42 AM
A really good offense = 5 up.
Really bad pitching = 5 down.

How is this going to end up? Are they going to be able to outhit their own pitching staff all season and end up with a winning record? Right now the good and bad are evening out the record.

#1swisher
04-11-2014, 11:29 AM
Dan Hayes ‏@DanHayesCSN (https://twitter.com/DanHayesCSN) 3h (https://twitter.com/DanHayesCSN/status/454606256255164416)

Also, Jose Abreu became first #WhiteSox (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23WhiteSox&src=hash) player ever to have two multiple-HR games w/in first 10 games of career. http://bit.ly/1gfApc1 (http://t.co/NK9ufETWPM)

Alexei Ramirez has nine RBIs in 10 games. Took him 43 games to get that many last season.

SBSoxFan
04-11-2014, 12:09 PM
A really good offense = 5 up.
Really bad pitching = 5 down.

How is this going to end up? Are they going to be able to outhit their own pitching staff all season and end up with a winning record? Right now the good and bad are evening out the record.

The really bad defense had a lot to do with those 5 losses too. All in all, they've been a fun team to watch. It's very early, but I feel like they always have a chance.

doublem23
04-11-2014, 12:20 PM
I'm cautiously optimistic that my gut feeling of 65-70 wins this season is an underestimation. Abreu looks like he might be the real thing. Eaton looks much more polished than the off-season reports from Arizona indicated. Semien has displayed flashes of MLB ability. A few other guys like Alexei, Viciedo, and Flowers look rejuvenated.

I think the pitching will get better as the season goes along because it would almost be impossible for it to not. Guys will either step up or be replaced.

Big blow to the overall plan to lose Avisail for the year less than 2 weeks into the season, but overall, the Sox feel like they're on the right track in the first time since forever.

fram40
04-11-2014, 12:38 PM
I'm cautiously optimistic that my gut feeling of 65-70 wins this season is an underestimation. Abreu looks like he might be the real thing. Eaton looks much more polished than the off-season reports from Arizona indicated. Semien has displayed flashes of MLB ability. A few other guys like Alexei, Viciedo, and Flowers look rejuvenated.

I think the pitching will get better as the season goes along because it would almost be impossible for it to not. Guys will either step up or be replaced.

Big blow to the overall plan to lose Avisail for the year less than 2 weeks into the season, but overall, the Sox feel like they're on the right track in the first time since forever.

I agree - they are on the right track. I have enjoyed watching them so far, and will continue to watch. I hope the game threads get fun again too. Last year was ... never mind.

I hope for.500, and I don't think it is out of reach.

Irishsox1
04-11-2014, 12:40 PM
Scott Downs is washed up and he needs to go ASAP. 1.2 Innings pitched, 3 walks, 16.20 era, 2 losses.

I'm sure the Sox can get a better washed up lefty out of the pen.

Noneck
04-11-2014, 12:56 PM
Scott Downs is washed up and he needs to go ASAP. 1.2 Innings pitched, 3 walks, 16.20 era, 2 losses.

I'm sure the Sox can get a better washed up lefty out of the pen.

The Sox would never salt and pepper 4m at this stage of a season.

DSpivack
04-11-2014, 01:10 PM
I agree... but where is Jeff Keppinger, anyway? :tongue:

Madvora
04-11-2014, 01:18 PM
Semien has displayed flashes of MLB ability.
I'd take my chances with him. I don't even want Beckham back.

hoosiersoxfan
04-11-2014, 01:19 PM
I agree... but where is Jeff Keppinger, anyway? :tongue:

Sounds like he will be back with the team any day now

Harry Potter
04-11-2014, 01:22 PM
Sounds like he will be back with the team any day now

:bundy

Irishsox1
04-11-2014, 01:23 PM

I know he won't but he should retire. He has nothing left in any of his pitches. Nothing against Downs but at 38, it's time.

ChiSoxGal85
04-11-2014, 01:36 PM
Good start. The only thing I'm disappointed in so far is the bullpen - except for Cleto and Webb - and Paulino. It's early though.

amsteel
04-11-2014, 01:58 PM
I'm guessing Abreu is going thru a bit of a 'honeymoon' period where the scouts haven't quite figured out his weaknesses. Once they do that he'll slump a bit until he readjusts.

Golden Sox
04-11-2014, 03:01 PM
All this team needs is another starting pitcher and we're Playoff bound! Bill Veeck once said in one of his books that the future is now. 5 year plans lead to new 5 year plans. The older I'm getting the more I'm agreeing with that. That being the case, lets get another starting pitcher from somewhere and I will take my chances with this team.

soxnut1018
04-11-2014, 03:39 PM
All this team needs is another starting pitcher and we're Playoff bound! Bill Veeck once said in one of his books that the future is now. 5 year plans lead to new 5 year plans. The older I'm getting the more I'm agreeing with that. That being the case, lets get another starting pitcher from somewhere and I will take my chances with this team.

I admire your optimism, but this team needs WAY more than just another starting pitcher to be playoff bound.

SoxSpeed22
04-11-2014, 04:30 PM
There is plenty to get optimistic about. Sale and Abreu are great cornerstones, while Alexei is in a much better place emotionally. Quintana has been quietly solid, Danks looks like he's making progress, Matt Davidson is also raking in Charlotte, but the strikeouts are still there, with Courtney Hawkins and Tim Anderson off to solid starts in WS.
The biggest downer is Garcia getting hurt. The pen needs to get figured out, but I like what Webb has done. Paulino will probably be like Danks was last year with ups and downs. Overall, I like the direction we're going.
Edit: Completely forgot about Eaton being awesome.

Foulke You
04-11-2014, 04:45 PM
Overall, there is a lot to like about this team after 10 games. The energy level is really good and there are much better quality ABs out of the offense. The hitters seem to be embracing the "selective aggression" mantra. Sale and Quintana are as dependable as ever and Danks looks improved over last year. It's also nice to see the Sox being in almost every game this year. Far too many times in 2013, you felt if they fell behind by a few runs early the game was pretty much over. The 2014 squad is nothing like that so far.

The obvious downers to this year's team so far is the bullpen and Erik Johnson. Both have time to turn things around for sure. The disappointing thing about Johnson is his body language and tentativeness so far. He pitched very well in September of last year and attacked the hitters. I'd like to see him rebound from his first two starts and show some of that confidence he displayed before.

WhiteSox5187
04-11-2014, 06:51 PM
I think there are problems with the bullpen, but that isn't too concerning since you can rebuild a bullpen in the off-season (though it's not an easy trick), I think the defense is more concerning but I am hoping that that can improve as the year goes on.

gobears1987
04-11-2014, 07:41 PM
Through 10 games, the Sox are what we thought they would be, a 0.500 team that will not contend, but will at least provide promise for the future and a reason to watch.

The bullpen sucks, but you only need the bullpen when you're ready to contend.

Shoeless
04-11-2014, 08:46 PM
Through 10 games, the Sox are what we thought they would be, a 0.500 team that will not contend, but will at least provide promise for the future and a reason to watch.

The bullpen sucks, but you only need the bullpen when you're ready to contend.

Agreed. Non-contender stock up.

Bucky F. Dent
04-11-2014, 10:43 PM
The errors are going to drive me to an early grave!

shes
04-12-2014, 02:02 PM
You can't win more than 75 games with three bad starting pitchers. My hope was that either Danks or Johnson would be average at least, but my fear was that they'd both be #6 starters. Obviously there's time for them to get back on track, but things aren't looking good now. Paulino will hopefully be replaced by June. The guy's not a MLB-quality SP in any capacity and at 30 years old probably shouldn't be in the rotation over someone younger who may be part of the future. I imagine if someone like Beck or Surkamp have a good first 10 or so starts they'll get a shot to replace Felipe.

The offense has been even better than expected. Losing Avi is going to be a huge blow, but if we can get any contribution at all from Flowers and Semien/Beckham, we should have enough to win a lot of 6-5 games.

soxfanreggie
04-12-2014, 03:07 PM
My positives: Sale, Alexei, Abreu, and Flowers. Flowers has exceeded my expectations by a long shot so far. If he can hit .240 or above for the season, that would be awesome.

My Needs Improvement: Overall pitching, Overall defense. Depending on where we're at in say 30-40 games, the Sox could look to trade. However, with as much as we're paying Danks, he needs to step up and earn his keep all year! Even if he's .500, that could really help out.

Noneck
04-12-2014, 05:12 PM
My positives: Sale, Alexei, Abreu, and Flowers.

You must have had a mental lapse and forgot Eaton.

dekks
04-13-2014, 05:37 AM
the Sox feel like they're on the right track in the first time since forever.

It's a rebuild, gonna be some potholes in the road here & there, Abreu looks a gem though.

whitem0nkey
04-13-2014, 11:46 AM
why is Tyler Flowers so much better? what is he doing differently?

Madvora
04-13-2014, 07:23 PM
why is Tyler Flowers so much better? what is he doing differently?
They showed that they have him holding his hands lower, kind of like what they did to get Rios back on track, but this is a different hitting coach now.

TomBradley72
04-14-2014, 07:45 AM
You can't win more than 75 games with three bad starting pitchers. My hope was that either Danks or Johnson would be average at least, but my fear was that they'd both be #6 starters. Obviously there's time for them to get back on track, but things aren't looking good now. Paulino will hopefully be replaced by June. The guy's not a MLB-quality SP in any capacity and at 30 years old probably shouldn't be in the rotation over someone younger who may be part of the future. I imagine if someone like Beck or Surkamp have a good first 10 or so starts they'll get a shot to replace Felipe.

The offense has been even better than expected. Losing Avi is going to be a huge blow, but if we can get any contribution at all from Flowers and Semien/Beckham, we should have enough to win a lot of 6-5 games.

Danks has been solid- I think he's headed for a very nice season

I think Johnson will turn out to be a servicable #5 type starter-but Paulino is a disaster- and we don't really have anyone in the system that projects to a #2/RHP- Hahn will need to address that via the draft, FA or an offseason trade.

aryzner
04-14-2014, 07:48 AM
I'm sorting team stats on mlb.com right now. And through the first two weeks of the season, the White Sox are first in OBP.... what? (And they are leading or near-leading multiple other hitting statistics.)

Is such a thing even possible? Yes it is.

doublem23
04-14-2014, 08:13 AM
Very fun first two weeks of the season but our first real test comes this week, a day off today followed by 3 vs. Boston and 3 at Texas. We will really know a lot more about this team's true intentions by this time next week.

cws05champ
04-14-2014, 08:29 AM

But that bullpen....eewww: Sox relievers have lost four games, blown three saves and held a 7.91 ERA (29 ER in 33 innings) coming into the series finale Sunday. And they blew another save yesterday.

RCWHITESOX
04-14-2014, 12:51 PM
The Sox are first in hitting last in pitching and last in fielding; the latter two a recipe for disaster. Sure hope for some improvement soon. I also see were Tampa Bay designated Sam Fuld for assignment; wonder if the Sox would be interested?

Noneck
04-14-2014, 03:29 PM
The Sox are first in hitting last in pitching and last in fielding; the latter two a recipe for disaster. Sure hope for some improvement soon. I also see were Tampa Bay designated Sam Fuld for assignment; wonder if the Sox would be interested?

Good Fielding doesnt slump, hitting does. Bad defense along with a team hitting slump, only a couple reliable starters and a poor relief staff can produce a long losing streak.

Fuld is no solution to the Sox outfield. De Aza and Viciedo are here to stay for the year. Is Fuld and upgrade to Danks? I dont know.

Domeshot17
04-14-2014, 03:39 PM
Our 80 runs scored are by far the best in baseball

Our 76 given up.... is well... pretty bad

doublem23
04-14-2014, 03:40 PM
Fuld is no solution to the Sox outfield. De Aza and Viciedo are here to stay for the year. Is Fuld and upgrade to Danks? I dont know.

No

RCWHITESOX
04-14-2014, 03:58 PM
Maybe they should look at St Louis. They could always check and see if Jon Jay is available or some one like him. They should also take a look at RP Joel Hanrahan. De Aza to me is a waste of a roster spot. Horrible baseball instincts a below average outfielder in all aspects of the game.

Noneck
04-14-2014, 04:41 PM
Maybe they should look at St Louis. They could always check and see if Jon Jay is available or some one like him. They should also take a look at RP Joel Hanrahan. De Aza to me is a waste of a roster spot. Horrible baseball instincts a below average outfielder in all aspects of the game.

De Aza probably is a lost cause but nothing can be done about that now. Jay will be 30 next season and getting a guy like that in a rebuild probably isnt the way to go. If Hanrahan is right and with the yanks and others being interested, he wont come cheap plus getting a 32 year old reliefer shouldnt be a priority in a rebuild. Downs and Belisario are on the team till near season end, I dont want another like that.