PDA

View Full Version : A. Garcia out for the season...ouch.

hawkjt
04-10-2014, 02:50 PM
Avy Garcia has a torn labrum, and will have surgery....sucks!

aryzner
04-10-2014, 02:51 PM
Indeed.

https://twitter.com/whitesox/status/454329339668992000

TaylorStSox
04-10-2014, 02:51 PM

dwitt76
04-10-2014, 02:52 PM
Great :angry:

hawkjt
04-10-2014, 02:56 PM
Again, I have been concerned seeing him dive all spring...he is so big at 240lbs+ that those tumbles are more dangerous than for most guys.

He will just have to learn to not dive, I guess. Just a shame.
Jordan Danks...your table is ready!

Boondock Saint
Average defensive ability prevents this injury.

doublem23
http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc275/Dani-Death/Cartoons/Tantrum.gif

ddog528
04-10-2014, 02:59 PM
That's just so crappy.

Chez
04-10-2014, 02:59 PM
Crap. Crap, crap, crap crap. Crap.

russ99
04-10-2014, 03:00 PM
Man, what a bummer.

Guess we should be glad we didn't move either LF.

esbrechtel
04-10-2014, 03:02 PM
:(:

Hitmen77
This totally sucks! I hope this won't affect his abilities when he returns. It sucks to lose him for the year, but he's only 22. He potentially has many good years ahead of him.

Shoeless
Unbelievable. I really hope he doesn't turn into

Jake Peavy, Outfield

Really disappointing. He looks like a future piece of this team. I jinxed it with the ****ing Jordan Danks talk.

cws05champ
04-10-2014, 03:05 PM
This sucks....a full year of development down the drain. So who goes to RF, Viciedo or DeAza?

Madvora
04-10-2014, 03:06 PM
God ****ing damn it! I was really looking forward to him helping our team. I really hope he can come back to how he looked this year.

smac38
04-10-2014, 03:08 PM
I'll reiterate what everyone else has said, this really blows.

I was really looking forward to watching him develop this year. Hopefully it's just a small bump in the road and nothing that prohibits him in the future.

KRS1
Well, ****.

XplodingScorbord

Citation needed.

thomas35forever
04-10-2014, 03:09 PM
Ugh. This is not what we wanted. I'm afraid he's slowly morphing into Carlos Quentin 2.0: great power, but very risky when playing the outfield. Maybe move him to left when he returns?:angry::whiner:

And yes, I was really looking forward to him this year too.

Shoeless
04-10-2014, 03:09 PM
This sucks....a full year of development down the drain. So who goes to RF, Viciedo or DeAza?

If those are our choices, I'll take Jordan Danks

MtGrnwdSoxFan
04-10-2014, 03:10 PM
Well, at least now when they mention "Garcia" during the game, we know which one they're talking about.

Take the silver linings where you can get them

Soxman219
04-10-2014, 03:11 PM

I don't want Viciedo anywhere near the outfield.

hawkjt
04-10-2014, 03:12 PM
Ugh. This is not what we wanted. I'm afraid he's slowly morphing into Carlos Quentin 2.0: great power, but very risky when playing the outfield. Maybe move him to left when he returns?:angry::whiner:

And yes, I was really looking forward to him this year too.

Carlos Quentin came to my mind also....football player physiques...like Josh Hamilton...when they dive, bad things happen.

ChiSoxGal85
04-10-2014, 03:14 PM
Oh, no. :tantrum:

Soxman219
04-10-2014, 03:14 PM
Like everyone said, this blows. He was just starting to hit too. A year of development wasted. :angry::angry:

Jordan Danks, don't let us down.

smac38
04-10-2014, 03:17 PM
Paulie in right?

aryzner
04-10-2014, 03:18 PM
How in the hell is the healthiest player of that three team trade now Jake Peavy?

LoveYourSuit
04-10-2014, 03:18 PM

Couldn't agree more. He was playing a lousy OF to beging with. Bad jumps and bad routes.

He will be missed no doubt. But wake up call for Sox coaching to help these young OF develop better technique and footwork out there. Viciedo is another injury disaster waiting to happen.

Boondock Saint
04-10-2014, 03:19 PM
Citation needed.

He's constantly diving to get to balls that shouldn't be tough plays, and he's too big to be taking that kind of impact. Hopefully, he takes this time to cut 20 or so pounds off of his frame, because he's still young, and he won't be getting any smaller as he develops.

Foulke You
04-10-2014, 03:21 PM
God ****ing damn it! I was really looking forward to him helping our team. I really hope he can come back to how he looked this year.
This is just horrendous news. Avisail and Abreu were 1 and 1A on my list of players I was looking forward to watching this year. Avisail arguably had the most potential of any of our young position players. Looks like Viciedo is going to get one more crack at trying to learn how to hit right handed pitching and frankly, I don't have high hopes for that. Maybe Todd Steverson can help something to click with him.

On a side note, two of the three players involved in last year's big 3 way blockbuster are now hurt for the season. (Iglesias & Garcia) Who would have thought Peavy would be the only healthy one?

Shoeless
04-10-2014, 03:23 PM
He's constantly diving to get to balls that shouldn't be tough plays, and he's too big to be taking that kind of impact. Hopefully, he takes this time to cut 20 or so pounds off of his frame, because he's still young, and he won't be getting any smaller as he develops.

Citation needed.

ChiSoxGal85
04-10-2014, 03:24 PM
Call up Jordan Danks. Why not.

Soxman219
04-10-2014, 03:25 PM
Call up Jordan Danks. Why not.

They already did.

ChiSoxGal85
04-10-2014, 03:26 PM
They already did.
Oops, my bad. Or I could say, great minds think alike. :tongue:

Soxman219
04-10-2014, 03:28 PM
Oops, my bad. Or I could say, great minds think alike. :tongue:

True, I rather have Danks out there than Viciedo right now. Dead serious.

SBSoxFan
04-10-2014, 03:31 PM
Damn. Bad defense, bad in-game management ... and it leads to this. It hurts even more considering the preliminary report sounded positive. :whiner:

Shoeless
04-10-2014, 03:31 PM

Statistically you would be correct as well. Not by much, but Viciedo is just bad.

LoveYourSuit
04-10-2014, 03:34 PM

Maybe another DH in the making. If he doesn't lose the weight.

dickallen15
04-10-2014, 03:34 PM
4 for 22 with 11 ks. In Charlotte.

Noneck
04-10-2014, 03:35 PM
Losing Garcia is not good but giving De Aza and Viciedo more playing time may increase their worth.

DumpJerry
04-10-2014, 03:36 PM
How 'bout them Bears? :angry:

Shoeless
4 for 22 with 11 ks. In Charlotte.

Viciedo: -0.01 WAR
Danks: 0.00 WAR

And Danks can actually play the field

LoveYourSuit

Hell, I'd rather have Dunn out there and Paulie DH.

Make Dunn earn his money by chasing balls around.

Shoeless
04-10-2014, 03:37 PM

Neither Viciedo nor Dunn can hit or play outfield.

LoveYourSuit
04-10-2014, 03:38 PM
Losing Garcia is not good but giving De Aza and Viciedo more playing time may increase their worth.

I think that ship has sailed. No one wants those guys. Or give up anything worth value for them..

LoveYourSuit
04-10-2014, 03:39 PM
Neither Viciedo nor Dunn can hit or play outfield.

Just throwing an idea if they want to get Paulie out there more.

Shoeless
04-10-2014, 03:40 PM
I think that ship has sailed. No one wants those guys. Or give up anything worth value for them..

Heck - we don't want them. How do we convince someone else to want them?

Shoeless
04-10-2014, 03:40 PM
Just throwing an idea if they want to get Paulie out there more.

Maybe. I still think a lineup with Konerko, Viciedo/Danks, and Dunn is bound for fourth place.

WhiffleBall
04-10-2014, 03:41 PM
Who was the last outfielder to have this type of injury and how did they do when they came back? Anyone know a realistic timeline for recovery?

Foulke You
04-10-2014, 03:43 PM
I think it is too early to say that his size is a problem. He played five seasons in the minors without getting hurt. I think it was kind've a freakish play. The turf in Denver is also harder than most.

doublem23
If those are our choices, I'll take Jordan Danks

Do people honestly not remember that Jordan Danks is an awful baseball player?

Shoeless
Who was the last outfielder to have this type of injury and how did they do when they came back? Anyone know a realistic timeline for recovery?

All I can find are Ryan Kalish and Luke Scott. Apparently Scott played through it...ouch

Shoeless
04-10-2014, 03:44 PM
Do people honestly not remember that Jordan Danks is an awful baseball player?

He's a replacement player. Viciedo is actually awful.

JB98
04-10-2014, 03:46 PM
Not a good day. I was really looking forward to seeing what Garcia could do with a full season's worth of at-bats. That will have to wait until 2015 now.

Put Viciedo in RF and see what happens. It's his third full year in the bigs. Either he steps up, or he steps out. I'm not optimistic about Dayan, but I don't see a better option.

JorDanks is nothing more than an extra outfielder. He'll be the extra outfielder for the rest of the year.

doublem23
He's a replacement player. Viciedo is actually awful.

Viciedo, I would honestly argue, still has a higher ceiling than Danks, which is all that matters in a calculated non-contention season.

Madvora
Great question. Exactly what I want to hear.
It's not his throwing shoulder, but it's his hitting ability I'm worried about.

JB98
04-10-2014, 03:47 PM
I think it is too early to say that his size is a problem. He played five seasons in the minors without getting hurt. I think it was kind've a freakish play. The turf in Denver is also harder than most.

Agreed. The Quentin comparisons are a massive overreaction.

Shoeless
04-10-2014, 03:48 PM
Viciedo, I would honestly argue, still has a higher ceiling than Danks, which is all that matters in a calculated non-contention season.

He probably has a higher ceiling, but certainly not defensively.

Can't hit the ceiling without a ladder.

smac38
04-10-2014, 03:49 PM

I agree that his defense needs to improve, but I'm not sure the guy needs to lose weight. It's not like he's lugging around extra pounds of fat and needs to slim down. Losing weight for him means losing muscle. Not sure you really want that. He's just a large guy.

Foulke You
04-10-2014, 03:54 PM
Agreed. We know he can mash against left handed pitching but looks clueless against right handers. Maybe the new hitting coach can get him to realize his potential. I don't think De Aza will be here beyond July 31st anyway so I'm sure the Jordan Danks fans will get to see plenty of him this year.

pmck003
04-10-2014, 03:56 PM
Huge suck - hope he heals well.

Lemon44
04-10-2014, 03:56 PM

It could be months before he can lift his arm above his head. I'm not a doctor - but I'll play one on this message board - Garcia may not swing a bat before autumn.

JB98
04-10-2014, 03:58 PM
Agreed. We know he can mash against left handed pitching but looks clueless against right handers. Maybe the new hitting coach can get him to realize his potential. I don't think De Aza will be here beyond July 31st anyway so I'm sure the Jordan Danks fans will get to see plenty of him this year.

It's really too bad Danks is the only reasonable outfield option the Sox have in the minors. Some of these other prospects have not panned out. Trayce Thompson has pretty much flatlined at AA. And I'm convinced Jared Mitchell would have been released by now if he didn't have "former first-round draft pick" attached to his name.

JB98
04-10-2014, 03:59 PM
It could be months before he can lift his arm above his head. I'm not a doctor - but I'll play one on this message board - Garcia may not throw a baseball before autumn.

At least it is the non-throwing shoulder. That's really the only good thing I can say about it.

Chez
04-10-2014, 04:03 PM
It's really too bad Danks is the only reasonable outfield option the Sox have in the minors. Some of these other prospects have not panned out. Trayce Thompson has pretty much flatlined at AA. And I'm convinced Jared Mitchell would have been released by now if he didn't have "former first-round draft pick" attached to his name.

True. But the Sox now have the opportunity to give one or more of these prospects an extended look at the major league level in a season when we aren't competing for anything. I know Jordan Danks is the obvious next man up, but his ceiling is really that of a 4th outfielder. Why not see if any of the other guys can actually play at the highest level?

asindc
04-10-2014, 04:04 PM
Damn. Bad defense, bad in-game management ... and it leads to this. It hurts even more considering the preliminary report sounded positive. :whiner:

How so?

pmck003
04-10-2014, 04:04 PM
Unless someone else is brought in, I'm having a hard time seeing why anyone but Viciedo should play more.

asindc
04-10-2014, 04:06 PM

I was thinking exactly that before he got injured.

LoveYourSuit
04-10-2014, 04:07 PM
The amoumt of hearbreaking injuries the last few years in Chicago sports truly sucks.

So many key athletes being lost for long periods of time.

JB98
04-10-2014, 04:08 PM
True. But the Sox now have the opportunity to give one or more of these prospects an extended look at the major league level in a season when we aren't competing for anything. I know Jordan Danks is the obvious next man up, but his ceiling is really that of a 4th outfielder. Why not see if any of the other guys can actually play at the highest level?

Like who? The starting AAA outfield has been Danks, Tekotte and Mitchell. Tekotte has the same ceiling as Danks -- fourth outfielder. And Mitchell is batting .077 after hitting .174 at AA and .132 at AAA last year.

There are no other candidates except for Danks.

Chez
04-10-2014, 04:17 PM
Like who? The starting AAA outfield has been Danks, Tekotte and Mitchell. Tekotte has the same ceiling as Danks -- fourth outfielder. And Mitchell is batting .077 after hitting .174 at AA and .132 at AAA last year.

NOT Tekotte. Walker? Thompson? Hawkins? Borchard? Is there really no one other than Jordan Danks?

JB98
04-10-2014, 04:19 PM
NOT Tekotte. Walker? Thompson? Borchard? Is there really no one other than Jordan Danks?

Sorry, but there's not. I wish there were.

Mohoney
04-10-2014, 04:20 PM

+1. Viciedo and Dunn are both one-dimensional players, and Dunn is better at that one dimension than Viciedo is.

LoveYourSuit
04-10-2014, 04:29 PM
+1. Viciedo and Dunn are both one-dimensional players, and Dunn is better at that one dimension than Viciedo is.

It also opens NL trade possibilities if you can show he can stand in the OF without falling over.

Noneck
04-10-2014, 04:31 PM

I would like a platoon of Dunn and Viciedo in right which would probably be a clown show but at least Dunn the slug would be shaggin balls. The problem with this is that Paul could be a real embarrassment as full time DH.

amsteel
04-10-2014, 04:43 PM
At least it didn't happen in a season where his 2 WAR would matter.

Foulke You
04-10-2014, 04:49 PM

Yeah, other than Hawkins who is off to a good start this year, the outfield cupboard is pretty bare. Hawkins is in A ball and is at least 2 or 3 years of development away from being a factor at 35th & Shields.

doublem23
04-10-2014, 04:56 PM
Yeah, other than Hawkins who is off to a good start this year, the outfield cupboard is pretty bare. Hawkins is in A ball and is at least 2 or 3 years of development away from being a factor at 35th & Shields.

Jacob May, Adam Engel, and Micker Adolfo are all very, very young OF who are worth watching. May and Engel had good professional debuts last season and Adolfo is a 17-year-old Dominican outfielder who was a consensus Top 2 international signee from last year. He is basically the crown jewel of the Sox's Latin American post-Wilder Scandal scouting operations. He will be playing in the DSL this year, his first taste of professional baseball, as well.

So yes, unless Trayce Thompson can put his incredible athletic tools to work on the diamond, there is unlikely to be any OF help from the farm system for several more seasons.

tstrike2000
04-10-2014, 04:59 PM
Son of a bitch.

soxfanreggie
04-10-2014, 05:02 PM
Very disappointed to here this about a player who is very integral to our future success. That being said, we have other guys that we have invested significant resources in to play this game we love. It's time for one of them to step up and grab this opportunity by the horns.

Here's to a speedy recovery Avisail!

Crestani
04-10-2014, 05:04 PM
Son of a bitch.

X2 :angry:

Tragg
04-10-2014, 05:13 PM
Wow - what a disappointment.
Get healthy for next year, Avisail.

I guess De Aza moves over to right.

DSpivack
04-10-2014, 05:17 PM
Jacob May, Adam Engel, and Micker Adolfo are all very, very young OF who are worth watching. May and Engel had good professional debuts last season and Adolfo is a 17-year-old Dominican outfielder who was a consensus Top 2 international signee from last year. He is basically the crown jewel of the Sox's Latin American post-Wilder Scandal scouting operations. He will be playing in the DSL this year, his first taste of professional baseball, as well.

So yes, unless Trayce Thompson can put his incredible athletic tools to work on the diamond, there is unlikely to be any OF help from the farm system for several more seasons.

Good summary. If anything, our promising OF prospects are in the low minors.

Future Sox in the last couple months has looked at the whole Sox system by position. Here's their look at the OF:

http://www.chicagonow.com/future-sox/2014/04/state-of-the-system-outfield-2/

Tragg
04-10-2014, 05:22 PM
Maybe, but it also decreases the likelihood that we want to trade them...we suddenly have no outfield excess.

Foulke You
04-10-2014, 05:23 PM

Completely forgot about Adolfo. He is definitely another promising player. I don't know too much about Engle or May but as you pointed out, they are a few years away.

SoxSpeed22
04-10-2014, 05:27 PM
Dammit. Even in a rebuilding year it always stinks to have one of the core players lose a season of development. The only plus from this is that it wasn't his throwing shoulder.

Noneck
04-10-2014, 05:38 PM
Maybe, but it also decreases the likelihood that we want to trade them...we suddenly have no outfield excess.

There is nothing in the minors but with this type of year, the Sox can be creative. Use Dunn, L. Garcia and even Ramirez in the outfield. The only depth the Sox have in their system is infielders, using L. Garcia and even Ramirez would open up spots to see what these prospect infielders can do. This of course depends on what the market for Viciedo and De Aza is.

voodoochile
04-10-2014, 05:47 PM
Ugh that blows beyond the worst blow that could ever blow. I mean it sucks way past the ability of any Dyson to suck.

****!

So Viciedo goes to right and De Aza starts in left. I guess and Danks comes up to warm the bench.

XplodingScorbord
04-10-2014, 05:50 PM

The "prospect" who's going to get an extended look is 25 year old Dayan Viciedo. I want him out there every day so we can see if he can turn the corner and be useful to this team. And don't just say he can't. He hit 25 home runs in his first full season. Right now, he's about as good as Carlos Quentin was for us, save one year.

#1swisher
04-10-2014, 05:54 PM
Dan Hayes ‏@DanHayesCSN (https://twitter.com/DanHayesCSN)
[/URL] Rick Hahn calls it a lousy day for [URL="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23WhiteSox&src=hash"]#WhiteSox (https://twitter.com/DanHayesCSN/status/454369461949067264). Said Avisail Garcia is crushed by news. Said Dayan Viciedo benefits.

SBSoxFan
04-10-2014, 06:00 PM
How so?

It's a stretch and hindsight and all. However, looking at the sequence of events, I was wondering why they even tried to pitch to LeMahieu in that situation. He already had 2 hits and 2 RBIs and the pitcher's spot was due up next.

Edit: I see LeMahieu got his 2 RBIs in the 8th, after the fact.

Tragg
04-10-2014, 06:11 PM
There is nothing in the minors but with this type of year, the Sox can be creative. Use Dunn, L. Garcia and even Ramirez in the outfield. The only depth the Sox have in their system is infielders, using L. Garcia and even Ramirez would open up spots to see what these prospect infielders can do. This of course depends on what the market for Viciedo and De Aza is.
Well, as you said, we need to build up that market. Or not - we need a LF. If he can really hit, we can keep him. It's De Aza that we need to move, but not give away.
And then there's the Beckham situation...

Noneck
04-10-2014, 06:23 PM
Well, as you said, we need to build up that market. Or not - we need a LF. If he can really hit, we can keep him. It's De Aza that we need to move, but not give away.
And then there's the Beckham situation...

The creativity is after the Sox move De Aza and/or Viciedo hopefully they can show enough to get a return. Yes Beckham has to play and play well to get worth but that can be at 2nd or 3rd. None of this creativity can happen till midseason.

russ99
04-10-2014, 06:31 PM
They could grab a stopgap MLB bench-average player off waivers.

The Astros got Alex Presley that way and he's doing OK.

Mizzourah
04-10-2014, 06:47 PM
Devastating injury for a dead ass franchise. Not in a good place at all. I like what Hahn has done, but I'm sick of rebuilding.

Long time since 2005. And long time since any playoffs.

gobears1987
04-10-2014, 07:15 PM
This, REALLY sucks

sullythered
04-10-2014, 08:01 PM
Devastating injury for a dead ass franchise. Not in a good place at all. I like what Hahn has done, but I'm sick of rebuilding.

The Sox have been legitimately "rebuilding" for less than a year.

doublem23
04-10-2014, 08:08 PM
Completely forgot about Adolfo. He is definitely another promising player. I don't know too much about Engle or May but as you pointed out, they are a few years away.

Yeah he's easy to forget since he's a teenager and hasn't actually played a game in the White Sox system yet and he was going by Micker Zapata when they signed him.

Noneck
04-10-2014, 08:11 PM

No other way to do now a days except a rebuild. Cant do it through FA's and dont have enough pieces to do it through trades. I can live through a rebuild but if rebuilds are a constant thing then Ill have a problem.

doublem23
04-10-2014, 08:13 PM
The "prospect" who's going to get an extended look is 25 year old Dayan Viciedo. I want him out there every day so we can see if he can turn the corner and be useful to this team. And don't just say he can't. He hit 25 home runs in his first full season. Right now, he's about as good as Carlos Quentin was for us, save one year.

This is really the only silver lining a very dark cloud, this is now Viciedo's make or break season with the Sox. There will still be plenty of playing time available in left field and at DH next season when Dunn and Konerko are gone, Viciedo can fill either of those holes nicely if he takes advantage of this opportunity, but if he blows again, I wouldn't be shocked if he was non-tendered this off-season.

After this season he will have approximately 1,600 MLB PA. Plenty of time to know what he is.

Brian26
04-10-2014, 08:15 PM

How so?

It's a stretch and hindsight and all. However, looking at the sequence of events, I was wondering why they even tried to pitch to LeMahieu in that situation. He already had 2 hits and 2 RBIs and the pitcher's spot was due up next.

Edit: I see LeMahieu got his 2 RBIs in the 8th, after the fact.

This was a freak injury that could have happened in any inning of the game with any batter at the plate. Had nothing to do with "bad in-game management".

Brian26
04-10-2014, 08:18 PM

Sick of re-building? The re-building only started last year at the deadline. The re-building didn't start in 2006 or 2009.

CoopaLoop
04-10-2014, 08:34 PM

Lol they are years late on rebuilding and you are sick of it.

doublem23
04-10-2014, 08:38 PM

Yeah I think people are just mislabeling being ****ty with rebuilding.

Boondock Saint
04-10-2014, 08:48 PM

Yep. You can't be paying over a hundred million dollars in salary every year, buying at the trade deadline, and claim to be rebuilding at the same time.

tstrike2000
04-10-2014, 09:34 PM
Maybe. I still think a lineup with Konerko, Viciedo/Danks, and Dunn is bound for fourth place.

We may have been bound for that anyway, the pitching staff is still a work in progress.

Mohoney
04-10-2014, 09:44 PM
We may have been bound for that anyway, the pitching staff is still a work in progress.

I was expecting the Tigers and Royals to both definitely finish ahead of us, and probably the Indians as well, given the fact that they scorched us last year head-to-head.

Vernam
04-10-2014, 10:01 PM

Which side of town are we talking about here? :tongue:

When Garcia comes back, someone either needs to teach him how to slide into catches like that, or he needs to become a DH. Not blaming him for the injury, but he practically knocked himself out over the weekend making a similar play. The comparison to Quentin seems apt, but TCQ seemed dumb, whereas Avisail looks way uncoordinated in the field.

Railsplitter
04-10-2014, 10:17 PM
Something they don't tell you about when they show those diving catches on Sports Center.

doublem23
04-10-2014, 10:49 PM
God, Hahn talking about the injury makes it sound like a worst case scenario:

http://www.southsidesox.com/2014/4/10/5602814/avisail-garcia-injury-wrap-up

Looks like he tore the labrum from the scapula which is what necessitates the injury. Frankly that scares me more than just a straight up dislocation or fracture. As long as your bone is reset properly, they will heal and be as good as new. Soft tissue injuries, especially in joints are potentially extremely serious.

Get well soon, Avi, and take your rehab seriously.

soxfan1965
04-10-2014, 11:30 PM

He may have more fun and save someone's perfect game.

Bucky F. Dent
04-11-2014, 01:28 AM
Avy Garcia has a torn labrum, and will have surgery....sucks!

:angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:

Mizzourah
04-11-2014, 10:29 AM

They have been "re-building" since the failed "all-in" season of 2011.

And I hate the thought of rebuilding with Sale, Quintana and Danks in the rotation.

Long "re-building" plans in baseball often turn into lost decades.

voodoochile
04-11-2014, 10:50 AM

And I hate the thought of rebuilding with Sale, Quintana and Danks in the rotation.

No because by definition, rebuilding means trading off your veterans and going with a youth movement. The Sox didn't do that until this year.

In fact (and maybe you erased this from your memory) on 9/25/2012 the Sox were tied for first. The end of that season went badly, but they were right there leading the division for a good chunk of the year.

In short, your definition of "rebuilding" is just flat wrong, or to put it another way, "I don't think this word means what you think it means."

doublem23
04-11-2014, 11:04 AM
No because by definition, rebuilding means trading off your veterans and going with a youth movement. The Sox didn't do that until this year.

In fact (and maybe you erased this from your memory) on 9/25/2012 the Sox were tied for first. The end of that season went badly, but they were right there leading the division for a good chunk of the year.

In short, your definition of "rebuilding" is just flat wrong, or to put it another way, "I don't think this word means what you think it means."

Yeah, in the last few years they were in a state of "reloading" or whatever, KW's attempt to build and fly a plane simultaneously. But they were buyers as recently as the 2012 deadline when they acquired Myers from Houston and Liriano from Minnesota.

Mizzourah
04-11-2014, 12:36 PM

They went into rebuilding/re-tooling mode prior to 2012, but they had a fluke year and couldn't dump most of their big contracts. If they were trying to win they would not have let Buehrle walk.

I believe that Williams even mentioned trying to get younger before that season.

It's moot anyway. My point is that I hate the idea of "re-building" for anything other than maybe one season.

doublem23
04-11-2014, 01:13 PM
https://scontent-b-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/t1.0-9/1901506_10154016374055092_7356886456836704217_n.pn g

Right in the old emotions zone

JB98
04-11-2014, 01:43 PM
They went into rebuilding/re-tooling mode prior to 2012, but they had a fluke year and couldn't dump most of their big contracts. If they were trying to win they would not have let Buehrle walk.

I believe that Williams even mentioned trying to get younger before that season.

It's moot anyway. My point is that I hate the idea of "re-building" for anything other than maybe one season.

They were trying to win in 2012. They were trying to win last year, too, at least for the first half. Then, they realized they needed to rebuild. We aren't even a year into the rebuilding phase yet.

Rebuilding is not the same thing as trying to win and failing.

Chez
04-11-2014, 01:53 PM

By definition, doesn't re-building take more than one season? Usually several seasons. If we're close to .500 NEXT YEAR and then contend in 2016, that would be an ambitious re-build -- at least in my book.

Mohoney
04-11-2014, 05:11 PM
By definition, doesn't re-building take more than one season? Usually several seasons. If we're close to .500 NEXT YEAR and then contend in 2016, that would be an ambitious re-build -- at least in my book.

Spot on. We still need to find a catcher, the 2B situation needs to sort itself out, Tim Anderson and Matt Davidson are still developing, and we need to figure out if any of these bullpen pitchers are of any value going forward.

Foulke You
04-11-2014, 05:51 PM
God, Hahn talking about the injury makes it sound like a worst case scenario:

http://www.southsidesox.com/2014/4/10/5602814/avisail-garcia-injury-wrap-up

Looks like he tore the labrum from the scapula which is what necessitates the injury. Frankly that scares me more than just a straight up dislocation or fracture. As long as your bone is reset properly, they will heal and be as good as new. Soft tissue injuries, especially in joints are potentially extremely serious.

Get well soon, Avi, and take your rehab seriously.
Yeah, I didn't like reading about the "bone involvement" part either. However, the Sox have a really good medical staff and have revived players from worse injuries. Hahn also said they expect him to be at Spring Training 2015 with no restrictions which is encouraging.

TheVulture
04-11-2014, 06:12 PM
I've been too depressed to post in this thread. :whiner:

sullythered
04-11-2014, 06:16 PM

What would your approach be?

IronFisk
04-12-2014, 01:22 AM
Yeah this sucks, but the silver lining here is that our offense is popping pretty well, and I'm OK with Danks and Tank filling the void for the year. AG is real young...he'll be fine.

Really would have been devastating to lose a top pitcher.

cards press box
04-12-2014, 01:52 AM
I was expecting the Tigers and Royals to both definitely finish ahead of us, and probably the Indians as well, given the fact that they scorched us last year head-to-head.

Well, we'll see about that. Avi Garcia's injury is very disappointing and let's hope the surgery goes well. He has some things on his side: youth, the fact that the injury is on his non-throwing shoulder and the excellent work the Sox have done in the past few years rehabbing injured players. Hopefully, he is ready to go come spring training in 2015.

Now, if the Sox do find themselves in contention in 2014, they can still make moves later in the year. If the Sox need outfield depth, maybe they can swing a deal with New York for Ichiro Suzuki. Suzuki is a free agent after this year and might be a good short term replacement for Avi Garcia if the Sox feel they have a shot at the division or a wild card. And, really, would it take a lot to get Ichiro at this point from New York?