PDA

View Full Version : Scrubs interested in Hampton

Chisox_cali
08-09-2002, 03:03 PM
Hampton for Hundley?!?! (http://espn.go.com/mlb/news/2002/0809/1415999.html) What the hell are they thinking? They just got Alomar from us, why would they need another injury prone, past his prime catcher?

Dadawg_77
08-09-2002, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by Chisox_cali
Hampton for Hundley?!?! (http://espn.go.com/mlb/news/2002/0809/1415999.html) What the hell are they thinking? They just got Alomar from us, why would they need another injury prone, past his prime catcher?

They will take him just to get rid of Hampton.

Jerry_Manuel
08-09-2002, 03:12 PM
They get rid of Hamptons' contract.

Alomar is a free agent after this season.

Chisox_cali
08-09-2002, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel
They get rid of Hamptons' contract.

Alomar is a free agent after this season.

Can the cubs even take on Hamptons contract?

Jerry_Manuel
08-09-2002, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by Chisox_cali
Can the cubs even take on Hamptons contract?

They lose 7 million when McWhiff leaves after this year. If they took on Hundley that's another 6 million off. Lieber had an option on his contract for 6 million that won't be picked up since he's hurt.

So that's at least 19 million gone. Hampton makes close to 10 million per year tilll 2008 or something like that.

kingkirk04
08-09-2002, 03:56 PM
I'll give you some Cubs input on this subject.

On one hand, I think getting rid of Hundley would be great. I cant stand this jackass, and the way he struts back to the dugout after he strikes out. He argues nearly every single called strike he gets, which cannot be helping our staff.

Hampton is a huge risk, especially for him being locked up until 2008. He might be a decent pitcher again, but he needs to be contending for Cy Young with the dollars hes making. He might be able to ressurect his career the same way Kile did after he left Coors.

The reason Hampton's ERA is high at home and on the road is because of his mechanics. His mechanics got flawed when he went to Colorado. Therefore he pitches the same way on the road as he does at home. That is my theory, at least.

Although he isn't really an ace anymore, it would be nice to have a veteran presence in the rotation since Lieber might not pitch at all next year. Hampton has pitched nearly 100 innings at Wrigley with a 2.89 ERA. So who knows, but he isnt worth that huge amount of money he's getting paid.

SoxxoS
08-09-2002, 04:01 PM
You never know what might happen outside of Coors Field. Look at Pedro Astasio. He has been really, really good this year. I agree with you on the mechanics, they are all out of wack due to pitching in Coors. I couldnt even imagine what Coors can do to your mental state. This would be an excellent trade for the Cubs, but only if the trade doesnt hamper them signing other free agents.

kingkirk04
08-09-2002, 04:14 PM
It might not, since previously mentioned we are losing Lieber, Mcgriff, to go with several worthless players on our team such as Deshields, Fassero, and Stynes. If we get rid of Hundley that is the equivalent of paying around 5 million for Hampton.

I think I read somewhere that the Cubs have around 20 million dollars to play with due to losing so many players to free agency. I would rather they go out and get some decent pitchers to go into the bullpen, but Hampton could work out to be a formidable pitcher. The bullpen has been our only glaring spot. We've lost between 30-35 games when leading after the 5th inning. The offense was pathetic last year and it got us in 1st until August, when our pitcher's arms fell off.

Our infield could be pretty cheap, since we will have Choi at first, Bobby Hill at 2nd, and probably Bellhorn at 3rd. The only overpaid guy in the infield would be Alex Gonzalez. So I think we could afford to take Hamptons contract.