PDA

View Full Version : *OFFICIAL* KC Masterpiece by Sale post gamer 4.6.14

LITTLE NELL
04-06-2014, 05:07 PM
Great outing by Sale.
Did not want to get swept by KC as they have had our number the last few years.

SoxSpeed22
04-06-2014, 05:08 PM
There are going to be bumps in the road, but these guys are infinitely more fun to watch than last year.

amsteel
04-06-2014, 05:14 PM
For what it's worth:
Daryl Van Schouwen
‏@CST_soxvan
Ventura said Sale would have gone out for ninth if game had stayed close. Threw 111 pitches.

Through a week, I think we're seeing what we're gonna see this year: better offense, questionable pitching, and overall an improved and definitely more energized team than last year.

Boondock Saint
04-06-2014, 05:15 PM
Chris gave us the game we needed, the offense came through when we needed it to, and Lindstrom held it together just well enough. This team won't just be more fun to watch than last year's, they'll win more games, too.

Tragg
04-06-2014, 05:20 PM
For what it's worth:
Daryl Van Schouwen
‏@CST_soxvan
Ventura said Sale would have gone out for ninth if game had stayed close. Threw 111 pitches.

Through a week, I think we're seeing what we're gonna see this year: better offense, questionable pitching, and overall an improved and definitely more energized team than last year.
Thank you, team for scoring 4 in the 9th.
This is a fun team. We have a bench that can hit, which helps a lot. The pitching needs to settle down and I think it will (more uneasy about the starters). Still hope we can deal De Aza, Dunn and maybe Beckham.

Detroit should win this division. But frankly, I don't see the greatness of Kansas City.

harwar
04-06-2014, 05:21 PM
Watching Chris Sale work is pure pleasure.. i don't know who these guys are, who keep hitting and scoring late runs, they just don't look familiar..

guillensdisciple
04-06-2014, 05:50 PM
Chris sale is a stud. We knew this already but just in case there was any doubt. Love how he plays the game. Goijg to be a fun year of baseball folks, even with multiple bullpen implosions.

Chez
04-06-2014, 06:06 PM
It looks like Abreau's best position may be designated hitter.

TomBradley72
04-06-2014, 06:18 PM
Great to see Alexei playing with such passion- real web gem on the play from deep short+ hitting .455 in early April- usually a very tough month for him-

Huge hit by Flowers- IF he turns out to be a legitimate major league hitter- what a plus that would be.

Love L. Garcia's speed late in the game- Ventura has a tough decision to make on who goes down/away if/when Beckham is ready-

Gillaspie not much of a bunter- but very impressive so far at the plate- took Shields to left center on high pitch- he could prove to be a very valuable LH hitting back up at 3rd/1st/DH for 2015-

I think Webb is our closer once the season is up and running- Lindstrom needs to move to the 8th-

Any time we're at .500+ this year I'll take it-

mccoydp
04-06-2014, 06:18 PM
What a great outing by Sale. I was afraid that the Sox would give him no run support today, but thankfully I was wrong. I enjoyed the four extra runs in the ninth. Good game to watch on a Sunday afternoon.

Noneck
04-06-2014, 06:19 PM
It looks like Abreau's best position may be designated hitter.

Hes got a year to get the hang of 1st.

TheVulture
04-06-2014, 07:32 PM
Hes got a year to get the hang of 1st.:scratch: He's been playing first for years.

I think the Sox will do all right as long as the starters can go 8+.

Zakath
04-06-2014, 07:58 PM
For what it's worth:
Daryl Van Schouwen
‏@CST_soxvan

Should have sent him out anyway. As we've seen too often with this team, using your closer in non-save situations leads to a disaster, and Lindstrom damn near fulfilled the prophecy.

Noneck
04-06-2014, 08:11 PM
:scratch: He's been playing first for years.

I meant that the Sox have DH's this year so hes got a year more of practice at 1st.

anewman35
04-06-2014, 08:16 PM
Should have sent him out anyway. As we've seen too often with this team, using your closer in non-save situations leads to a disaster, and Lindstrom damn near fulfilled the prophecy.

Trust me, I hate the bullpen, but I think with a 5 run lead, with over 100 pitches thrown already, this early in the season, it was the right call. You don't want to throw him too much if you don't need to...

JB98
04-06-2014, 10:13 PM

I've never bought this theory about not using closers in non-save situations. Your closer is supposed to be one of your best relievers. A manager should use him whenever he sees fit. If Lindstrom had blown today's game, it would have been Lindstrom's fault, not Robin's.

No way does Sale need to be throwing 115, 120 pitches with a five-run lead. If it's 1-0, then, yes, you put him back out there, because that is what is necessary to win. In a 5-0 game, anyone should be able to close that out. I was getting ulcers in that ninth inning, too, but Robin made the right move.

At any rate, Lindstrom would have had an easier ninth inning if a routine DP would have been completed. Defense, not the bullpen, is this team's biggest weakness.

Crestani
04-06-2014, 10:14 PM
Trust me, I hate the bullpen, but I think with a 5 run lead, with over 100 pitches thrown already, this early in the season, it was the right call. You don't want to throw him too much if you don't need to...

True, but we still need a closer..!!

ricker182
04-06-2014, 10:21 PM
True, but we still need a closer..!!

We need someone with an "out" pitch to fill in as a closer.
All the good closers have that.

I don't see anyone in our bullpen (yet) that has an "out" pitch.

DumpJerry
04-06-2014, 10:50 PM
Trade Lindstrom.

doublem23
04-06-2014, 10:53 PM

Not really Lindstrom's fault he had to throw 4 outs in 1 inning

doublem23
04-06-2014, 10:56 PM
At any rate, Lindstrom would have had an easier ninth inning if a routine DP would have been completed. Defense, not the bullpen, is this team's biggest weakness.

Bingo. Cooper's MO as Sox pitching coach has always been "pitch to contact," which works when you have GG-quality defense, but is a tricky proposal when the D is a sieve.

But I'll worry about all of that nonsense tomorrow. For now, we're back in the W column, a very fun game to watch today. :D:

sunofgold
04-07-2014, 12:15 AM
I know that it is early but it seems that we are destined to be a .500 team this whole season. Offense is improved. Defense is bad. Pitching overall is about average but has potential to get better.

doublem23
04-07-2014, 12:33 AM
I know that it is early but it seems that we are destined to be a .500 team this whole season. Offense is improved. Defense is bad. Pitching overall is about average but has potential to get better.

A .500 season would be nearly a 20-game improvement, I would take it.

Tragg
04-07-2014, 12:58 AM
Great to see Alexei playing with such passion- real web gem on the play from deep short+ hitting .455 in early April- usually a very tough month for him-

Huge hit by Flowers- IF he turns out to be a legitimate major league hitter- what a plus that would be.

Love L. Garcia's speed late in the game- Ventura has a tough decision to make on who goes down/away if/when Beckham is ready-

Gillaspie not much of a bunter- but very impressive so far at the plate- took Shields to left center on high pitch- he could prove to be a very valuable LH hitting back up at 3rd/1st/DH for 2015-

I think Webb is our closer once the season is up and running- Lindstrom needs to move to the 8th-

Any time we're at .500+ this year I'll take it-
I think it's Semien. Which is okay - he's a player and AAA won't hurt him He'll be back in a couple of months. Meanwhile, pray Beckham hits well and we can deal him.

I just want Lindstrom to be used when no one's on base.

palehosepub
04-07-2014, 04:04 AM
I know its early but if Avasil Garcia doesn't learn a better approach at the plate they might need to send him to Charlotte to work on his hitting - he still is very raw -he may need some more seasoning. Jordan Danks can fill in while Garcia is developing.

joegraz
04-07-2014, 06:33 AM
I'm already disgusted with Instant replay. Here we had 2 virtually identical plays at first....one overturned in favor of KC, (correctly) the other was not, in favor of KC. The second one was slightly closer, but the replay showed clearly that the ball was IN Abreu's glove.

russ99
04-07-2014, 09:54 AM
The way our pitching staff has been this year so far, we'll be saying "Sale and pray for rain" shortly.

Ron Karkovice
04-07-2014, 10:07 AM

^^I laughed at this. That would be an amazing improvement.

TomBradley72
04-07-2014, 12:10 PM
The way our pitching staff has been this year so far, we'll be saying "Sale and pray for rain" shortly.

Pray for health- not much pitching help at AAA or AA- Charlotte staff is almost all 27-32 year olds (Axelrod, Purcey, Guerra, Boggs, Rienzo, Leesman, Surkamp, etc)- not much to get excited about-

Birmingham is mostly 24- 27 year olds like Beck, Molina, Snodgrass, De Los Santos- other than Beck- not much there either-

Foulke You
04-07-2014, 12:23 PM
I'm already disgusted with Instant replay. Here we had 2 virtually identical plays at first....one overturned in favor of KC, (correctly) the other was not, in favor of KC. The second one was slightly closer, but the replay showed clearly that the ball was IN Abreu's glove.
I hate it as well. Yesterday we saw a field ump get the play correct only to have it overturned in NYC to the incorrect call AFTER video review. This simply cannot happen.

Foulke You
04-07-2014, 12:26 PM
I know its early but if Avasil Garcia doesn't learn a better approach at the plate they might need to send him to Charlotte to work on his hitting - he still is very raw -he may need some more seasoning. Jordan Danks can fill in while Garcia is developing.
Way too early to even suggest sending Avisail to AAA. In the opening week, he has just looked a little anxious at the plate. He was more patient yesterday and worked the counts deeper and even got himself a walk in a big situation.

JB98
04-07-2014, 02:27 PM
Way too early to even suggest sending Avisail to AAA. In the opening week, he has just looked a little anxious at the plate. He was more patient yesterday and worked the counts deeper and even got himself a walk in a big situation.

Agreed. It's somewhat humorous to me. After years of "Blow it up, Kenny!" posts on this board, rebuilding is finally here. Now, fans have their long-desired rebuild, but they won't have the patience to deal with the inevitable ups and downs of young players. Garcia has nothing left to prove at AAA. He needs to play everyday in the majors. That's the only way to learn how to hit major league pitching. This isn't even a debate.

It's gonna be a long year if we want to send down every young player who has a bad week or two.

doublem23
04-07-2014, 02:44 PM
Pray for health- not much pitching help at AAA or AA- Charlotte staff is almost all 27-32 year olds (Axelrod, Purcey, Guerra, Boggs, Rienzo, Leesman, Surkamp, etc)- not much to get excited about-

Guerra, Boggs, Surkamp, and Reinzo are all potentially talented enough to help at the MLB level. They won't be Chris Sale-esque superstars but considering on the other end of the spectrum we have a few guys who have been quite bad their first few appearances, there may be some more help down in AAA than you give credit.

The Barons definitely have the cream of the Sox minor league pitching prospects, but there is more depth in AAA than there has been for a few years.

TomBradley72
04-07-2014, 03:17 PM
Guerra, Boggs, Surkamp, and Reinzo are all potentially talented enough to help at the MLB level. They won't be Chris Sale-esque superstars but considering on the other end of the spectrum we have a few guys who have been quite bad their first few appearances, there may be some more help down in AAA than you give credit.

The Barons definitely have the cream of the Sox minor league pitching prospects, but there is more depth in AAA than there has been for a few years.

All these guys are waiver claims from other teams- and other than Beck, I don't see alot of "cream" in Birmingham- if a prospect is in their mid-20's and still at AA- not a good sign.

It's been a while since I've seen so few real White Sox pitching prospects at AA/AAA- I think Hahn has the same assessment- which is why we are claiming so many guys off waivers (including Cleto).

TomBradley72
04-07-2014, 03:19 PM

I agree kid is only 22-

doublem23
04-07-2014, 03:37 PM
All these guys are waiver claims from other teams- and other than Beck, I don't see alot of "cream" in Birmingham- if a prospect is in their mid-20's and still at AA- not a good sign.

It's been a while since I've seen so few real White Sox pitching prospects at AA/AAA- I think Hahn has the same assessment- which is why we are claiming so many guys off waivers (including Cleto).

Guerra and Boggs aren't really prospects as much as they are reclamation projects for the Sox pitching coaching staff. Surkamp, yes was waived by the Giants, but that doesn't automatically disqualify guys from being useful players; sometimes a change of scenery is needed... Johan Santana was a Rule V draft pick, Bobby Jenks was waived by the Angels... I could go on.

Again, I'm not arguing that any of these guys are going to be cornerstone franchise players, but if you're looking for potential arms to help the Sox in 2014, they all have MLB-level talent if they can work out some issues in Charlotte.

And yes, I agree, the prospects in Birmingham are not an enviable group, but hey, we still have the 28th best MILB system in baseball. There are a few young arms in the low minors that have enormous potential, but they're still at least 2-3 years away from being ready for Chicago. So this is a work in progress.

ChiSoxGal85
04-07-2014, 03:44 PM
Avi Garcia looked like he belonged on an MLB roster after the Sox acquired him last summer. I think he's just having a rough start, and calling for him to go to Charlotte might be a bit over the top.

Tragg
04-07-2014, 04:32 PM
Agreed. It's somewhat humorous to me. After years of "Blow it up, Kenny!" posts on this board, rebuilding is finally here. Now, fans have their long-desired rebuild, but they won't have the patience to deal with the inevitable ups and downs of young players. Garcia has nothing left to prove at AAA. He needs to play everyday in the majors. That's the only way to learn how to hit major league pitching. This isn't even a debate.

It's gonna be a long year if we want to send down every young player who has a bad week or two.

Part of rebuilding, though, is to give prospects ample time in the minors. If he needs AAA time, send him there.
Also different is that the alternative back then was to play DeWayne Wise while letting the young player sit on the bench. He have superior alternatives to Wise.
My concern about Garcia is that he's struggling defensively. Could have been nerves. We'll see.

RCWHITESOX
04-07-2014, 04:59 PM

That my friend is hitting it square on the head of the ball(home run)

Foulke You
04-07-2014, 06:15 PM
Part of rebuilding, though, is to give prospects ample time in the minors. If he needs AAA time, send him there.
Also different is that the alternative back then was to play DeWayne Wise while letting the young player sit on the bench. He have superior alternatives to Wise.
My concern about Garcia is that he's struggling defensively. Could have been nerves. We'll see.
You are forgetting that Avisail Garcia started his MILB career when he was 17 way back in 2008. He played in 5 seasons in the Detroit farm system and a couple months in our system. He played very well down there and I don't think he really has anything left to prove in the minors. He just needs to learn how to adjust to what MLB pitchers are doing to him and the only way he is going to adjust is by getting as many rips as possible at the big league level. This is the perfect season for that. He hit .284 as a late season call up last year while we were playing some teams that were in the thick of a pennant race and easily was the best hitter in our lineup during that stretch.

As far as the defense goes, I didn't recall seeing a lot of defensive blunders last September from Garcia so it might just be a bad week. He made a heck of a diving catch yesterday though. It has also been very windy both in Chicago and in KC and this is his first April here and he might be getting used to blustery April ball trajectories. I think we'll need a bigger sample size to evaluate him on defense as well.