PDA

View Full Version : *Official* 4/5 Bullpen Blows It Again Postgamer

Brian26
04-05-2014, 05:18 PM
Sale will pitch 9.0 tomorrow for a win.

Corlose 15
04-05-2014, 05:21 PM
The bullpen gave up the go ahead run, but 1/13 with RISP is what did them in today.

guillensdisciple
04-05-2014, 05:21 PM
Said it in the thread- could be 4-1 barring the bullpen.

So is life.

Brian26
04-05-2014, 05:23 PM
DJ brought up an interesting point, suggesting bringing in Cleto to face his former team and former catcher (Perez) may not have been the best idea.

amsteel
04-05-2014, 05:24 PM
I think I know what the 2014 game blueprint is gonna be.

amsteel
04-05-2014, 05:25 PM
DJ brought up an interesting point, suggesting bringing in Cleto to face his former team and former catcher (Perez) may not have been the best idea.

Unless there was some HUGE statistical advantage in that matchup, that's a pretty huge **** up.

Corlose 15
04-05-2014, 05:27 PM

Is say the bigger issue is he hung the slider.

Boondock Saint
04-05-2014, 05:27 PM
Danks ended up holding it together, even though he pitched poorly.

I'm guessing a few of these bullpen arms won't be pitching for us by August.

Brian26
04-05-2014, 05:35 PM
Is say the bigger issue is he hung the slider.

But the idea is that Perez knows his tendencies and may have been sitting on that. Not every hanging breaking ball gets destroyed. Who knows. It's not a terrible point. Always tougher to hit against a guy you haven't seen before rather than a guy you caught last year, even for a bit.

infohawk
04-05-2014, 05:38 PM
Eh, it's only the first week and there's been plenty to like so far. This team is a work in progress and will likely win anywhere between 70-80 games.

I'm withholding judgement on the bullpen for at least a month. It might sort itself out. The Sox will have a piece or two available at the trade deadline to acquire bullpen help if they need to go outside the organization. Plus, Dunn and Konerko's contracts are off the books next year and the team should have some money to spend to address needs.

What I'm liking is the competitive spirit, the VASTLY improved approach at the plate, and the skill set and effort shown from the new core. The key for this season is to give these guys experience playing together and forging an identity. I expect that the big step forward will be next year. In the meantime, I'm having fun watching these guys play.

Corlose 15
04-05-2014, 05:46 PM
But the idea is that Perez knows his tendencies and may have been sitting on that. Not every hanging breaking ball gets destroyed. Who knows. It's not a terrible point. Always tougher to hit against a guy you haven't seen before rather than a guy you caught last year, even for a bit.

I wouldn't diasagree with that and I think it's fair to question if they should have left Downs in the face Moustakas. For me, I guess it comes down to execution. Make the pitch (Downs vs Gordon, Cleto vs Perez) and it comes out differently.

Crestani
04-05-2014, 05:48 PM
[QUOTE=Boondock Saint;3116662]Danks ended up holding it together, even though he pitched poorly.

Ya think..??:scratch:

Crestani
04-05-2014, 05:49 PM
Robin's still learning on the job..!!

Tragg
04-05-2014, 06:10 PM
Robin's still learning on the job..!!

He was terrible last year and not much better so far this year; someone upstairs insisted on keeping him. Hopefully he improves.

I still think this team can sniff .500 if they keep playing hard and Ventura doesn't screw up too often.

ChicagoG19
04-05-2014, 06:47 PM
Despite the poor start by the bullpen, I still have faith that they are not this bad. Coop will fix 'em. What gives me hope for this season is that the offense doesn't roll over when the team is down a couple of runs and I have a reason to keep watching.

lpneck
04-05-2014, 07:21 PM

I'm not a huge fan of Robin's use of the bullpen, but didn't Cleto come from the Cardinals?

Soxman219
04-05-2014, 07:33 PM
If the bullpen gets there stuff together, there's a great chance the Sox could be .500 at years end. They have been in every game this year and are playing better than the 2-3 record indicates. I hope by the middle of May the bullpen gets their stuff together. At least this team will be enjoyable to watch.

shingo10
04-05-2014, 07:38 PM
If the bullpen gets there stuff together, there's a great chance the Sox could be .500 at years end. They have been in every game this year and are playing better than the 2-3 record indicates. I hope by the middle of May the bullpen gets their stuff together. At least this team will be enjoyable to watch.

I don't get why everyone thinks the Sox can only peak at .500 this year...if our pitching and offense come together at the same time there is no reason to set limits on the team. Especially after 5 games.

Couldn't have scripted it better in the 9th to have Abreu up with a chance to tie with a hit. Unfortunately didn't work out this time.

SCCWS
04-05-2014, 08:55 PM
I don't get why everyone thinks the Sox can only peak at .500 this year...if our pitching and offense come together at the same time there is no reason to set limits on the team. Especially after 5 games.

Couldn't have scripted it better in the 9th to have Abreu up with a chance to tie with a hit. Unfortunately didn't work out this time.

They lost 99 games last year. The offense has definitely improved but to do so the pitching is weaker. The defense may be about the same. So maybe they are 8-12 games better.

TomBradley72
04-05-2014, 09:00 PM
Moustakas hit .196 vs. LHPs last year- with an OPS 200 points lower than Perez (vs. RHPs)- no excuse for not going with the Downs/Moustakas match up- + puts a runner on first to get a force out as an option for the 3rd out.

Horrible strategy by Ventura on that move-

We had 22 LOB today- that was the real issue for the game overall-

Jurr
04-05-2014, 09:32 PM
That game sucked, but oh what a difference a year makes!
This team is actually fun to watch!
Get 'em tomorrow!

Railsplitter
04-05-2014, 11:04 PM
Bleah:tongue:

ChicagoG19
04-05-2014, 11:53 PM

They could always surprise us and make a run, but the starting pitching outside of Sale and Quintana is suspect and the bullpen has a lot of question marks. The offense definitely looks improved though.

Wedema
04-06-2014, 09:10 AM
I'm not a huge fan of Robin's use of the bullpen, but didn't Cleto come from the Cardinals?

The Royals claimed Cleto off waivers from the Cardinals last June and he finished the season in AAA Omaha. The Sox claimed him off waivers from the Royals at the end of February before spring training games started, so Perez never caught Cleto in a game.