PDA

View Full Version : *Official* "Wild thing, I think I love you" 4/2 post game winner

vinny
04-02-2014, 05:35 PM
Well, that turned out OK in the end.:)

LITTLE NELL
04-02-2014, 05:37 PM
Nice come from behind win, let's sweep em!

JermaineDye05
04-02-2014, 05:39 PM
Nice to have some players on this team that can run.

Just a weird stat I was wondering about -- when's the last time a player was intentionally walked twice in his second ML game?

harwar
The twins may have given that game away, but there's no quit in these guys .. so refreshing from last year..

soxfan21
I'll take it! Paulino was missing his spots all day, and jones looked like garbage, other than that and the 2 errors*, I like it.

guillensdisciple
Caught this one in the eighth- my useless two cents:

As I said previously, this team is far more exciting to watch than in years past. I don't think getting runs will be a problem for this team. I worry about the defense and bullpen, but we'll finally see some runs up on the board.

Love the speed we have on the basepaths. This win was set up by the speed of Garcia, and the cojones he had in bunting that ball with two strikes.

Not much to complain about after a win, but I dislike that Adam Dunn is in this lineup. Creates holes when it matters, and it showed today when Abreu was walked twice just to get to Dunn in pivotal situations.

Bodes well for Abreu though, as pitchers are already showing him respect and he just had spring training and one game in the bigs to show for it. Small sample size, but the guy obviously holds some promise.

Loved the cameos in the ninth to tie the game.

2-0 feels good. May not last for long, but I have a feeling that we'll get to celebrate a little more this year than in years past.

Come on your palehose!

Boondock Saint
04-02-2014, 05:40 PM
Undefeated. Unstoppable.

Our offense has been miles ahead of where they've been the last few years. The kids are stringing together hits with consistency, not waiting for somebody to hit the 12 run homer.

The other side of the coin is that our pitching was atrocious today. I wanted to backhand Hawk when he said that Paulino did a good job. Paulino pitched well enough to give up a five spot on his own against 20 or so other teams.

smac38
04-02-2014, 05:41 PM
Just a weird stat I was wondering about -- when's the last time a player was intentionally walked twice in his second ML game?

Christopher Kamka ‏@ckamka 29s
IBB's first tracked in 1955. Jose Abreu is first player during that span with a 2-IBB game within first 2 MLB games

MISoxfan
04-02-2014, 05:42 PM
It was nice to have some hits coming from the bench, seems like it's been years since we had a halfway decent bat there.

doublem23
04-02-2014, 05:42 PM
Our offense has been miles ahead of where they've been the last few years. The kids are stringing together hits with consistency, not waiting for somebody to hit the 12 run homer.

Yes, this, I don't know if it's just the new blood in the lineup, a new hitting coach getting his message across, the fact that it's cold and windy so guys are just naturally just trying not to go yard, or the Twins just having a lousy pitching staff but there seems to be a better approach at the plate so far through approximately 60 at bats this season.

smac38
04-02-2014, 05:44 PM
I know it's only game 2, but they really have to reconsider that Abreu/Dunn order. Dunn is the last person I want up in a contact situation, and teams will start to exploit that.

WhiteSox5187
04-02-2014, 05:45 PM
Caught this one in the eighth- my useless two cents:

As I said previously, this team is far more exciting to watch than in years past. I don't think getting runs will be a problem for this team. I worry about the defense and bullpen, but we'll finally see some runs up on the board.

Love the speed we have on the basepaths. This win was set up by the speed of Garcia, and the cojones he had in bunting that ball with two strikes.

Not much to complain about after a win, but I dislike that Adam Dunn is in this lineup. Creates holes when it matters, and it showed today when Abreu was walked twice just to get to Dunn in pivotal situations.

Bodes well for Abreu though, as pitchers are already showing him respect and he just had spring training and one game in the bigs to show for it. Small sample size, but the guy obviously holds some promise.

Loved the cameos in the ninth to tie the game.

2-0 feels good. May not last for long, but I have a feeling that we'll get to celebrate a little more this year than in years past.

Come on your palehose!

I am by no means a fan of Adam Dunn, and it's telling that a team would rather face him than Abreu, but Dunn did hit a big home run in the 8th.

tstrike2000
04-02-2014, 05:49 PM
Wow, that was nice. Garcia bunting on 0-2, crazy. Since we wouldn't of won that game last year, it's an odd but nice feeling because it has been so long.

MISoxfan
Pretty sure Abreu was getting walked both times no matter who is batting behind him. He's our best hitter, first base was open, and only the first run counts.

Tragg
I know it's only game 2, but they really have to reconsider that Abreu/Dunn order. Dunn is the last person I want up in a contact situation, and teams will start to exploit that.

Honestly, I'd move Dunn to like 7th. Semien should not be batting 2nd. Ideally your team's best hitter bats 2nd. Too much pressure on young guy. Move DeAza up there.

Boondock Saint
04-02-2014, 05:50 PM
Pretty sure Abreu was getting walked both times no matter who is batting behind him. He's our best hitter, first base was open, and only the first run counts.

Maybe, but the guy hitting behind him damn sure made it an easy decision.

aryzner
04-02-2014, 05:51 PM
162-0 pace.

guillensdisciple
04-02-2014, 05:52 PM
162-0 pace.

I'll drink to that.:gulp::gulp:

SoxSpeed22
04-02-2014, 05:52 PM
Last year, it would have been us giving this game away. The pitching was somewhat rough, except for Webb and Bellisario, but they got it done when it counted. I like this offense a lot better already. Semien is not having bad at bats, they just haven't been hits yet. I think it'll get better.

WhiteSox5187
04-02-2014, 05:53 PM
Honestly, I'd move Dunn to like 7th. Semien should not be batting 2nd. Ideally your team's best hitter bats 2nd. Too much pressure on young guy. Move DeAza up there.

The problem is you have two lefties back to back then if Eaton leads off. I don't think Semien should be batting second tomorrow (if only for his confidence) but it's too early to start making any long term changes to the lineup. I know and understand the theory of having your best hitter hit second but I kind of like the way the Sox have speed at the top and bottom of the lineup right now, which theoretically should make it easier to create a few runs late in the ballgame. Of course, they need to get on to do that.

guillensdisciple
04-02-2014, 05:54 PM
How about:

Eaton, De Aza, Abreu, Gillaspie, Garcia, Dunn, etc?

Crestani
04-02-2014, 05:56 PM

I can't wait for the July trading dealine when we don't have to see Dunn in a White Sox uniform anymore! Semien is pressing,. Maybe moving him down to 9th would help?

I like this team's grit though..!!

MISoxfan
04-02-2014, 05:58 PM
I have to get over 2013. I was sure we weren't going to score again once we gave up the lead.

TomBradley72
04-02-2014, 05:59 PM
Well that was an epic Wednesday afternoon game in early April- some nice signs today:
Another nice game by De Aza- I think he is going to have a huge season this year- either helping the White Sox or creating some nice trade value.
Nice to see a home run from Dunn- but we have to find someone else to put behind Abreu- for me personally- I'd rather have Jordan Danks on the roster than Dunn- but I understand the reasoning that he's still here.
Alexei is off to a nice start- playing aggressive and "alert" baseball- which is a good sign for him.
Nice approach by Viciedo in the 9th- going to right center
Promising start by Paulino- considering how long its been since his last major league start- but he was really laboring- I was surprised he came out to start the 6th-
Nice contributions from our bench- Konerko starting off the 9th with a pinch hit, Nieto allowing a little speed as a catcher off the bench-
L. Garcia struggles on defense (I'll write off to rookie butterflies)- but the single in the 9th and the 0-2 bunt- very cool.
Webb was impressive, Veal and Bellisario didn't suck
Twins are a very bad team- but midwest baseball in April is so unpredictable- any win is a good thing-

CoopaLoop
04-02-2014, 06:00 PM
I have to get over 2013. I was sure we weren't going to score again once we gave up the lead.

Best thing the 2014 team has going for them is it's not the 2013 team.

TomBradley72
04-02-2014, 06:01 PM
How about:

Eaton, De Aza, Abreu, Gillaspie, Garcia, Dunn, etc?

I say stick with the kid- I like the Left/Right at the top of the order- he'll be fine-

Tragg
04-02-2014, 06:02 PM
Re the pen, I don't think Downs has much left in the tank. Reminds me of late era Linebrink. But I'm liking this Cleto a lot. And Veal is improving.

KRS1
04-02-2014, 06:06 PM
Semien should not be batting 2nd. Ideally your team's best hitter bats 2nd. Too much pressure on young guy.

Agree.

asindc
04-02-2014, 06:07 PM
Wow, that was nice. Garcia bunting on 0-2, crazy. Since we wouldn't of won that game last year, it's an odd but nice feeling because it has been so long.

Last year, it would have been us giving this game away. The pitching was somewhat rough, except for Webb and Bellisario, but they got it done when it counted. I like this offense a lot better already. Semien is not having bad at bats, they just haven't been hits yet. I think it'll get better.

Best thing the 2014 team has going for them is it's not the 2013 team.

As soon as Viciedo went opposite field in the 9th to get on I thought that this is definitely not last year's team. Still very early, but I like the energy and optimism (2-strike bunt!) these young fellas bring to the team.

TDog
04-02-2014, 06:10 PM
One of those games that both teams deserves to lose. Maybe it was the cold. As much as I would have loved to have been in the ballpark today (dressed warmly), I'm sure there were fans who considered it a miserable experience.

The Sox didn't play well defensively. Leury Garcia misplayed a ball to his side to set up the first run. Then there were the walks, first with Paulino, then with the bullpen. Paulino needed to go deeper into the game, especially on such a cold day when, more than usual, you don't know what you're going 5to get out of the bullpen.

There were some positives; Ramirez is getting off to a good offensive start. The Sox really shouldn't have had to look back after his two-run double. De Aza threw out a runner at the plate and got a hit in the second-inning rally. Dunn homered for the first time, although he didn't impress the Twins enough to keep them from intentionally walking Abreu twice. Konerko and Viciedo came off the bench to set up the two-run rally to tie the game in the bottom of the ninth, which got a big assist from poor Twins defense. And Leury Garcia, who was in the game because Gillaspie, a key offensive cog in the opener, was down with the flu, got his first hit of the season to keep the ninth-inning rally going and got the winning you-don't-need-to-hit-the-ball-out-of-the-infield-rally stared with a two-strike bunt single.

Fortunately, the Twins played a crappy game today, at least late in the game. Even before they had their defensive problems, they left two runners on third after they got their with less than two out. Semien struck out twice with the walk-off winning run at third and one out, but on one of those occasions, he was looking at two strikes before the runner got to third.

It certainly wasn't a crisp, well-played game. The replay delay didn't help. And while it had no effect on the game, other than to get De Aza an assist, it demonstrated one of the problems with replay in baseball. Not, that it delayed the game, but that it didn't make things right;

If the ball is caught, it's an out. If the ball is not an out, and the umpire calls it not an out, the runner from first is going to be out at second. The runner wasn't watching the umpire when he went back to first, he was watching the ball go into the glove.

But it's nice to win. In the top of the eight, I didn't think the Sox were going to win this one.

Harry Potter
04-02-2014, 06:11 PM
And Veal is improving.

Well its hard to be worse than Leyson Septimo

Boondock Saint
04-02-2014, 06:12 PM
Re the pen, I don't think Downs has much left in the tank. Reminds me of late era Linebrink. But I'm liking this Cleto a lot. And Veal is improving.

It's funny that you mention Linebrink, because I was going to mention that Paulino reminds me of him. He has a decent fastball, but his breaking stuff can't find the plate with GPS and a Sherpa. He's going to continue to struggle until he can get his breaking ball over the plate, because batters will start waiting for the fastball.

domerdoc11
04-02-2014, 06:17 PM
That was one of the toughest baseball games I've had to watch in a while. Very sloppy but still great to see the Sox put poor plays behind them and rally for a win.

Leury looked pretty weak in the field but when you think that if Beckham and Keppinger were healthy, neither he nor Semien are on this roster. Good to get the young guys some exposure but the defense will improve once the regulars return. (That being said, Semien looked solid at 3B today.)

It's great to see a team that can rally and put some things together offensively most innings. Certainly a far cry from last year thus far. Come on boys! Bring out the brooms tomorrow!

balke
04-02-2014, 06:20 PM
Dunn did hit a homerun today. Let L/R continue at DH, then we can go back to hating him if it stops.

Abreu/Konerko/Dunn adds a lot of potential homeruns. Homeruns leaders are typically at the top of the standings.

soxnut1018
04-02-2014, 06:23 PM
I really don't get the Dunn focus at all. He had three key at bats. In those at bats, he hit a home run, grounded out, and walked. Drawing conclusions from small sample sizes is dumb, but that's really good.

Also, Abreu has looked scary good. The Sox don't have a hitter that would've prevented the intentional walk to him. If you hate Dunn, fine, but nothing in this game benefits that stance.

BainesHOF
04-02-2014, 06:37 PM
There's no doubt the lineup is better. The pitching is going to be rough, though. The bullpen is going to give up a ton of runs this season.

Bucky F. Dent
04-02-2014, 06:46 PM
Had it on Gamecast as Veal appeared to be giving it away in the top of the 10th. Never thought I would come back and see a "W" for our boys.

Good to see the onions early in the season.

Brian26
04-02-2014, 06:47 PM
I can't remember the last time the Sox came back in the 9th down by two runs. This was fun to listen to. Nice win, indeed.

Oddly, I noticed that the MLB Audio is a couple of minutes behind the GameDay on the At Bat feature.

Madvora
04-02-2014, 07:05 PM
Wow! Just finished the game. They played this one to the absolute last minute of my DVR recording.
I like this team.

thomas35forever
04-02-2014, 07:19 PM
Only 160 more wins to an unbeaten season.

Zakath
04-02-2014, 07:21 PM
Had to listen to it again, but the one thing you can take away from this: the 2013 team and too many Sox teams in the past would not have come back from 2 down in the ninth to win. More often than not, we were in the Twins' boat, finding a way to blow a 2-run lead with our closer on the mound.

It may not be a big thing, but damn it's good to see (or hear) a team that doesn't quit, at least this early. There's going to be some adversity, no doubt, and it will be interesting to see how they respond to a 2-or 3-game slide on a long road trip, but so far you have to be pleasantly surprised.

IronFisk
04-02-2014, 07:28 PM
Yep, was there...and stuck around until the "wild" ending. Coldest game I've ever sat thru - 31 deg. at the end.

I was certainly one of the few...

https://scontent-b-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/t1.0-9/1524814_10152773492049852_1601630007_n.jpg

ChiSoxGal85
04-02-2014, 07:30 PM
Scrappy and not giving up, even when things seems to be anything but going our way? Awesome game.

Random thoughts: Webb and Cleto looked pretty good; I loved seeing Paulie start the 9th with a base hit; Alexei had two walks this game, wow; and I'm gonna have to stop selecting Abreu as my PTC if they're gonna walk him all the time. :cool:

162-0 pace.
:bandance:

guillensdisciple
04-02-2014, 07:53 PM
This is what I love about baseball- very dissimilar from other sports on the fact that you can truly believe in anything at the beginning of the year. You can dream. It's a beautiful thing.

ChiSoxGirl
04-02-2014, 08:12 PM
Yep, was there...and stuck around until the "wild" ending. Coldest game I've ever sat thru - 31 deg. at the end.

I was certainly one of the few...

https://scontent-b-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/t1.0-9/1524814_10152773492049852_1601630007_n.jpg

Mitch, my friend, you are a trooper! :tiphat: Were those your ticketed seats, or did you move around? And was the crowd ever larger than that or was that it?

TomBradley72
04-02-2014, 08:13 PM
This is what I love about baseball- very dissimilar from other sports on the fact that you can truly believe in anything at the beginning of the year. You can dream. It's a beautiful thing.

Yep

Y'know- game 2 of 2005 was a little like this one- back to back solos by PK and Dye led to a come from behind win. :gulp:

Madvora
04-02-2014, 08:46 PM
How nice was it to see the Twins turn into the White Sox in the late innings?

IronFisk
04-02-2014, 08:54 PM
Mitch, my friend, you are a trooper! :tiphat: Were those your ticketed seats, or did you move around? And was the crowd ever larger than that or was that it?

Well Jen my friend...thank you! We had tickets on the first base side in sec. 125, but like everyone else moved around with the sun. The crowd was certainly larger at the start, but as you could imagine it thinned out by the 9th...especially with us down by two runs. After that it was sit anywhere time :bandance:

Tragg
04-02-2014, 09:13 PM
How nice was it to see the Twins turn into the White Sox in the late innings?

The Sox of '13.
I'm now blaming it all on Rios.

Railsplitter
04-02-2014, 09:52 PM
First winning streak of the season!
:bandance::bandance:

JB98
04-02-2014, 11:18 PM
The Twins blew that game in a fundamentally sound way.

That is why the Twins are crappy. They are perpetual losers.

SoxFanCPA
04-03-2014, 06:30 AM
Someone please explain the overturn of Eaton's catch. If that isn't a catch, then my understanding of that play has been incorrect for 27 years.

anewman35
04-03-2014, 06:47 AM
Someone please explain the overturn of Eaton's catch. If that isn't a catch, then my understanding of that play has been incorrect for 27 years.

I guess the thinking is that he didn't have 100% control of the ball, because it never stopped moving, so it wasn't technically a catch? I wonder if this kind of thing is going to happen a lot for a while - things that were never called because they were close enough are going to now get a lot more scrutiny and have to be more perfect.

On a related note, I just read that Gardenhire blames the replay for having to take his starting pitcher out, because it took five minutes and by that point it was too cold to bring his starter back. That seems like a ridiculous comment to me - would he be complaining if they had gotten one more hit or fouled off a few more pitches and you had the same extra give minutes?

SBSoxFan
04-03-2014, 06:50 AM

The way it was explained on CSN this morning is that the rule states the transfer from the glove to the hand must be done cleanly. I don't know if that's really true. If so, does it apply to infielders during a double play attempt?

IlliniOne82
04-03-2014, 09:55 AM
The way it was explained on CSN this morning is that the rule states the transfer from the glove to the hand must be done cleanly. I don't know if that's really true. If so, does it apply to infielders during a double play attempt?

I think that play demonstrated one major issue with replay in baseball. By calling it one way you don't know how the play would have played out if called correctly on the field. Had they ruled no catch they would have easily forced the runner out at 2nd. Instead the Twins come out better than they would have had it been called correctly right away.

anewman35
04-03-2014, 10:55 AM

Part of Rule 2.00
"In establishing the validity of the catch, the fielder shall hold the ball long enough to prove that he has complete control of the ball and that his release of the ball is voluntary and intentional. If the fielder has made the catch and drops the ball while in the act of making a throw following the catch, the ball shall be adjudged to have been caught."

So I guess it's sort of judgement call of how long is "long enough to prove that he has complete control".

hawkjt
04-03-2014, 12:27 PM
Great comeback, Sox!

I like seeing fast guys running around the bases out there ...makes stuff happen, like the wild pitches and the bad throw to homeplate that allowed Dayan to score the tying run in the 9th.

Dunn had two good at bats...the homer and the walk...I will take it.
If they walk Abreu all season, fine, Dunn and the guys behind will have guys on base all the time.

I thought Paulino was understandably rusty out there after a two year absence. I think he does have a live arm, and his stuff was hitting 95mph at times. If he can throw strikes, he will be a decent 5th starter.
When he was at 50 pitches thru two innings, I doubted he would get to the 6th, but he did...good for him.

Bullpen was shaky, but at least everyone got the early season jitters out of the way. Downs coming in and walking a guy he was signed to get out was bad, but I give them all a bit of a mulligan...first game jitters, and 31 degrees? Nobody is going to be pinpoint, as we saw with the Twins.

Alexei used to be horrible in the cold weather...so far, very good.
The two strike bunt by Garcia was classic...just a beautiful bunt..fun.

So far, so good. Robin really seems to be enjoying working with the young guys.

Lets sweep these dolts!

doublem23
04-03-2014, 12:35 PM

Intentional walks have only been tracked as an official stat since 1955, but Abreu is the first player since then to draw 2 IBB in his first 2 MLB games

http://www.csnchicago.com/white-sox/white-sox-rookie-jose-abreu-already-getting-respect

cards press box
04-03-2014, 02:19 PM
Yep

Y'know- game 2 of 2005 was a little like this one- back to back solos by PK and Dye led to a come from behind win. :gulp:

I like the thought process:

:winner