PDA

View Full Version : On the farm, Hummel and Olivo

delben91
08-09-2002, 09:24 AM
So, they both seem to be doing it with the bat lately. Especially Miguel, he's up over .300 at .303 And Tim seems to be working his way up there, he's in the .240 range, but he was in a major hole earlier in the season. To those in the know...could Olivo possibly be up with us come next april, or is time in charlotte in his immediate future. And is Hummel getting back to form? I don't think he's truly that bad with the stick.

SoxxoS
08-09-2002, 10:17 AM
I think you can attribute Hummel's struggles to him learning new positions on "D" He has been moving around the infield all season at Charlotte, so I think you have to look at that as a big reason for his bat stuggles. His OBP is still at .321 so hes taking walks. I think he is too talented to not hit .275 by the end of the year. As for Olivo, now that hes hitting, he should be with the big club next year. Hopefully, they will come to their senses, and realize Mark Johnson is NOT a major league caliber catcher. To be in the major leagues, you have to hit over .200. Especially b/c he has been in the league for 2 years now. If they dont mind playing guys that cant hit, bring up Dallaero too, b/c he is probably the best defensive SS in the minors. So, I think you will see Olivo next year, hopefully with Josh Paul. Actually, hopefully with Pudge Rodriguez. :)

Randar68
08-09-2002, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
I think you can attribute Hummel's struggles to him learning new positions on "D" He has been moving around the infield all season at Charlotte, so I think you have to look at that as a big reason for his bat stuggles. His OBP is still at .321 so hes taking walks. I think he is too talented to not hit .275 by the end of the year. As for Olivo, now that hes hitting, he should be with the big club next year. Hopefully, they will come to their senses, and realize Mark Johnson is NOT a major league caliber catcher. To be in the major leagues, you have to hit over .200. Especially b/c he has been in the league for 2 years now. If they dont mind playing guys that cant hit, bring up Dallaero too, b/c he is probably the best defensive SS in the minors. So, I think you will see Olivo next year, hopefully with Josh Paul. Actually, hopefully with Pudge Rodriguez. :)

Tim was asked to move back to SS and to work almost exclusively of his defense. The organization wanted to see if he could be the answer at SS. His work paid off in his solid defensive play. However, he's a good size guy (Jeff Kent type) and has limited range. He has soft hands and a good arm. However, his offense struggled, and since the addition of Jimenez, he has played 3B, 1B, and more 2B (almost exclusively since Willie was promoted)

As for Miguel. His defense is getting better, but he still needs a good amount of work at his game calling skills. He's agile and quick and has a great arm. However, he is still immature in his defensive play. I would really like to see him get 1 more full year in the minors, preferrably at AAA with some more veteran pitchers.