PDA

View Full Version : Chicago Food Truck Fest: Coming to the Cell in June

doublem23
03-27-2014, 03:50 PM
http://chicagoist.com/2014/03/27/chicago_food_truck_fest_descends_on.php

Good use of the empty lots on a day the Sox are not around (I assume).

RadioheadRocks
03-27-2014, 11:17 PM
Maybe it'll be a challenge on the next season of The Great Food Truck Race.

MUsoxfan
03-27-2014, 11:31 PM
The trucks will love having 300% mark-up

Chez
03-28-2014, 10:00 AM
I'm hoping for this event the food trucks aren't staffed by the regular stadium food service workers. :D:

34 Inch Stick
03-28-2014, 10:49 AM
The trucks will love having 300% mark-up

It really does seem that the entire food truck concept has been turned on its head. Presumably, food trucks should provide quick and inexpensive food because the overhead is much smaller. Instead, the food trucks I have seen charge more than a comparable product from a bricks and mortar place for food that was cooked earlier in the day.

WhiffleBall
03-28-2014, 10:55 AM
It really does seem that the entire food truck concept has been turned on its head. Presumably, food trucks should provide quick and inexpensive food because the overhead is much smaller. Instead, the food trucks I have seen charge more than a comparable product from a bricks and mortar place for food that was cooked earlier in the day.

I agree. I'm yet to find any type of bargain item at any of these food trucks. The variety is great but many charge Taste of Chicago prices. There are too many options at least in the Loop that are the same price or even lower that are just as good if not better.

BainesHOF
03-28-2014, 08:18 PM
You have to pay $10 before you can buy food from a truck. Uh, no thanks.

doublem23
03-28-2014, 09:46 PM

Trucks are allowed to cook on board now

I agree. I'm yet to find any type of bargain item at any of these food trucks. The variety is great but many charge Taste of Chicago prices. There are too many options at least in the Loop that are the same price or even lower that are just as good if not better.

I guess I disagree, yes the trucks will be more expensive than places like Jimmy John's or whatever, but why would anyone want to eat there? Granted, I usually stick to the staple trucks I have found that I like, but I think their food is comparable in quality and price to competitors.

You have to pay $10 before you can buy food from a truck. Uh, no thanks.

I went to a food truck gathering last summer on Goose Island and it was great. Same deal, $10 to enter, but due to the restrictive nature of the city's truck ordinance, it's rare to find more than a couple of trucks in one spot at a time. But there were like 25 or so trucks present so the variety was excellent and I got to try a bunch of different ones I hadn't before.

Really, it's not that much different than some of the various street fests around town, only with a better variety and quality of eats.

BainesHOF
03-29-2014, 10:46 AM
I went to a food truck gathering last summer on Goose Island and it was great. Same deal, $10 to enter, but due to the restrictive nature of the city's truck ordinance, it's rare to find more than a couple of trucks in one spot at a time. But there were like 25 or so trucks present so the variety was excellent and I got to try a bunch of different ones I hadn't before.

Really, it's not that much different than some of the various street fests around town, only with a better variety and quality of eats.

Okay, but many streets fest charge just $5 and provide great bands, too. I'm not talking about lame cover bands, which some fests favor to their detriment. I'm talking about quality local bands and national touring bands.

doublem23
03-29-2014, 02:19 PM
Okay, but many streets fest charge just $5 and provide great bands, too. I'm not talking about lame cover bands, which some fests favor to their detriment. I'm talking about quality local bands and national touring bands.

What fests are you going to that feature national touring bands for $5? Local bands, sure, I've seen plenty of those at a $5 street fest but for something national, you're usually in the $10 range.

That said, kind of an unfair complaint since the music lineup for this fest hasn't been released, so who knows what $10 will get you? And again, the food is the draw here, as most street fests around town have the same basic vendors providing the same kind of street food. I'm fine with having to fork over an extra $5 for much better eats.

BainesHOF
03-29-2014, 03:12 PM
What fests are you going to that feature national touring bands for $5? Local bands, sure, I've seen plenty of those at a $5 street fest but for something national, you're usually in the $10 range.

That said, kind of an unfair complaint since the music lineup for this fest hasn't been released, so who knows what $10 will get you? And again, the food is the draw here, as most street fests around town have the same basic vendors providing the same kind of street food. I'm fine with having to fork over an extra $5 for much better eats.

West Fest and Rib Fest. Others are $8-10. My point is they give you something of worth for your admission. Charging $10 just so you can buy spend more money is lame. The Rosemont sports memorabilia shows have done that for years. I hate that.

34 Inch Stick
03-31-2014, 12:26 PM
West Fest and Rib Fest. Others are $8-10. My point is they give you something of worth for your admission. Charging $10 just so you can buy spend more money is lame. The Rosemont sports memorabilia shows have done that for years. I hate that.

Soxfest as well