PDA

View Full Version : Sports Illustrated 2014 White Sox preview (Spoiler: 97 losses)

doublem23
03-25-2014, 01:35 PM
http://mlb.si.com/2014/03/24/chicago-white-sox-2014-season-preview/

LITTLE NELL
03-25-2014, 02:01 PM
First they say 97 losses but then say if Sale, Eaton and Abreu have big years they could hang around for a wild card spot. I guess SI is covering all their bases. Well I for one say those 3 will have big years and the Sox will be hanging around for a wild card spot.

moochpuppy
03-25-2014, 03:13 PM
First they say 97 losses but then say if Sale, Eaton and Abreu have big years they could hang around for a wild card spot. I guess SI is covering all their bases. Well I for one say those 3 will have big years and the Sox will be hanging around for a wild card spot.

SI thinks those guys are going to make a possible 27 game swing?!? It's going to take at least 90 wins to make the playoffs.

Moses_Scurry
03-25-2014, 03:25 PM
SI thinks those guys are going to make a possible 27 game swing?!? It's going to take at least 90 wins to make the playoffs.

I think they're just saying they'll win 65 - 90 games. Nostradamus would be proud.

DeadMoney
03-25-2014, 03:40 PM
Meh - I figure we'll be slightly better than last year, and I guess technically 97 losses would fit into that criteria (although i envision us around 90 or so, give or take).

Also, who is Freddie Paulino!?

waldo_the_wolf
03-25-2014, 05:00 PM
I think they're just saying they'll win 65 - 90 games. Nostradamus would be proud.

I say they're going to win 60 and they're going to lose 60.

Foulke You
03-25-2014, 05:20 PM
Meh - I figure we'll be slightly better than last year, and I guess technically 97 losses would fit into that criteria (although i envision us around 90 or so, give or take).

Also, who is Freddie Paulino!?
The SI pitching rundown was pretty lazy. First there was the obvious mistake of calling Felipe Paulino "Freddie". Then he makes a bunch of generalized comments with nothing to back up what he is saying. For example, he opines that "Erik Johnson shows promise but isn't ready to make an impact". Ooookay...based on what? I thought Jonah Keri's rundown had more thought and substance than this SI piece. I have no problem if a writer has a negative or positive opinion on our pitching staff but at least back up what you are saying rather than making general comments.

Vernam
03-26-2014, 12:26 AM
Talk about covering all bases: Abreu could hit 30 dingers or be a $68M bust, according to SI. Did they run a supercomputer model to derive that?

Boondock Saint
03-26-2014, 12:45 AM
I say they're going to win 60 and they're going to lose 60.

:hawk
"It's what you do with the other 42 that matters."

TDog
03-26-2014, 01:24 AM
I wasn't aware Sports Illustrated was still publishing.

MISoxfan
03-26-2014, 11:27 AM
Talk about covering all bases: Abreu could hit 30 dingers or be a $68M bust, according to SI. Did they run a supercomputer model to derive that?

Everyone seems to think he maxes out at 30, and I don't really get that. I know that 30 is more significant than it was a few years ago, but 30 still seems low for his absolute ceiling.

doublem23
03-26-2014, 11:36 AM
Everyone seems to think he maxes out at 30, and I don't really get that. I know that 30 is more significant than it was a few years ago, but 30 still seems low for his absolute ceiling.

30 HR for a rookie is a major accomplishment

http://sportslistoftheday.com/2013/08/02/mlb-top-20-rookies-with-the-most-home-runs/

This is still a guy who has never played a full 162-game MLB season and is coming from a league that's, at best, AA-equivalent. There is going to be a sharp learning curve for Abreu, maybe in a year or two we can talk about 30 HR production being disappointing for him (hopefully that is the case), but in his first pro season in the Majors, that would be a real nice year for him.

JB98
03-26-2014, 01:23 PM

That does sound really stupid, doesn't it? I guess what it comes down to is Abreu is the wild card in this season of White Sox baseball. If he's good, maybe the team can hang around in the AL Central race. If he stinks, the Sox are in trouble.

I don't know that anyone has been able to comment intelligently on what the expectations for Abreu should be. He's an unknown. It's anybody's guess what he'll do this year.

DumpJerry
03-26-2014, 01:43 PM

http://sportslistoftheday.com/2013/08/02/mlb-top-20-rookies-with-the-most-home-runs/
McGwire is so skinny in that picture. I guess he didn't get his teenaged growth spurt until he was in his twenties.....

MISoxfan
03-26-2014, 08:05 PM

This is still a guy who has never played a full 162-game MLB season and is coming from a league that's, at best, AA-equivalent. There is going to be a sharp learning curve for Abreu, maybe in a year or two we can talk about 30 HR production being disappointing for him (hopefully that is the case), but in his first pro season in the Majors, that would be a real nice year for him.

I would be thrilled if he hit 30 this season, I just don't think that's the ceiling. I know it's his first year, but he's 27 this season. There is definitely a drop in star power when you look at the age 25+ guys on that list vs the younger guys.

MISoxfan
03-26-2014, 08:09 PM
I take that back, after looking again and looking up some of the guys I didn't know so well it's a pretty impressive list 25+ as well.