PDA

View Full Version : Jonah Keri's 2014 AL Central Preview

doublem23
03-24-2014, 03:51 PM
His bold prediction is for the Sox to finish under .500 yet still produce the AL Cy Young (Sale) and ROY (Abreu)

http://grantland.com/features/2014-al-central-preview/

I'd take it

Boondock Saint
03-24-2014, 03:58 PM
I don't know if that prediction is very bold. Sale damn near won Cy Young on a team that won 63 games last season, and there aren't that many players on the planet (if any), let alone a rookie, who can add 20 wins to a team's record alone. The only truly bold thing about it is predicting ROY for Abreu, really. Rookies pop up into prominence out of nowhere seemingly every year.

Noneck
03-24-2014, 04:01 PM
Dont know if his projected lineup is just the opening day lineup. If not Viciedo and Beckham on the bench is interesting.

Foulke You
03-24-2014, 05:34 PM
Dont know if his projected lineup is just the opening day lineup. If not Viciedo and Beckham on the bench is interesting.
Actually, he could have very well nailed the Opening Day lineup. Robin has already announced that Abreu will hit 3rd, Beckham's oblique injury may keep him out of the Opening Day lineup which would open the door for Semien starting, and De Aza will likely get the start over Tank against the right handed Ricky Nolasco.

WhiteSox5187
03-24-2014, 05:37 PM
The only thing I would object to is the Indians finishing in second place. The only reason they made the post-season last year is because they went 17-2 against the White Sox, I don't think they're going to dominate anyone by that much next year and are more likely to finish in third. I think the Royals could sneak in as the second wild card this year.

russ99
03-25-2014, 12:10 PM

Seems like the opening day lineup to me.

Unless Beckham can be playing in the next few days, he'll open the season on the DL.

De Aza has had an incredible spring, and deserves at least the first shot at LF.

Max Power
03-25-2014, 03:28 PM
Keri actually says Sale and Abreu will contend for Cy Young and ROY, respectively. I thought it was a fair analysis.

shes
03-26-2014, 08:47 AM
I think George Springer is a tier above every other rookie in the AL, but Abreu is a wild card given his age and pedigree. Wouldn't be shocked to see him win it.

russ99
03-26-2014, 09:14 AM
I think George Springer is a tier above every other rookie in the AL, but Abreu is a wild card given his age and pedigree. Wouldn't be shocked to see him win it.

Springer isn't going to be back up from AAA until May at the earliest since he needs to work on plate patience and hitting for average and the Astros don't want to risk him being a super-two.

So Abreu will have a nice head start.

SoxFanCPA
03-26-2014, 09:28 AM
I will be extremely disappointed if Garcia has a 723 OPS

doublem23
03-26-2014, 09:30 AM
I will be extremely disappointed if Garcia has a 723 OPS

Well, his career MLB OPS is currently .725 and he doesn't even turn 23 years old until June so there's a chance there may be some growing pains in his first full MLB season... I guess what I'm saying is I wouldn't overreact in either way too much based on his 2014 results alone. Still a lot of room to grow for this kid.