PDA

View Full Version : The Sodfather is earning his paycheck this year

doublem23
03-17-2014, 11:49 PM
Opening Day is now 13 days away; the Sox had to remove 400 tons of snow off the field this weekend and the ground is frozen 2 1/2 feet under the surface.

http://www.csnchicago.com/white-sox/white-sox-no-easy-task-preparing-us-cellular-opener

mrfourni
03-18-2014, 06:15 AM
Opening Day is now 13 days away; the Sox had to remove 400 tons of snow off the field this weekend and the ground is frozen 2 1/2 feet under the surface.

http://www.csnchicago.com/white-sox/white-sox-no-easy-task-preparing-us-cellular-opener

I know it's only a white sox article, but wouldn't a logical question have been if the fields in Minnesota, Detroit, Cleveland, and Wrigley are having the same problem?

WhiteSox5187
03-18-2014, 08:12 AM
I was wondering if they were removing snow from the field during the off-season, I guess not. I wanted to try and do a story about that but ran out of time.

I also saw a quote somewhere where Bossard said that the field is in the same kind of shape it was in right after Disco Demolition.

DumpJerry
03-18-2014, 09:23 AM
I know it's only a white sox article, but wouldn't a logical question have been if the fields in Minnesota, Detroit, Cleveland, and Wrigley are having the same problem?
The Twins, Tribe and Cubs open on the road. By the time they get home, things should be better.

I was wondering if they were removing snow from the field during the off-season, I guess not. I wanted to try and do a story about that but ran out of time.

I also saw a quote somewhere where Bossard said that the field is in the same kind of shape it was in right after Disco Demolition.
Normally, the snow keeps the grass fertile. The problem was not the snow, the the long-term extreme cold that froze the ground.

DSpivack
03-18-2014, 09:45 AM
The Twins, Tribe and Cubs open on the road. By the time they get home, things should be better.

Normally, the snow keeps the grass fertile. The problem was not the snow, the the long-term extreme cold that froze the ground.
You jest, but Bossard was asked that in one interview and said those few days can make quite a big difference.

dickallen15
03-18-2014, 10:42 AM
You jest, but Bossard was asked that in one interview and said those few days can make quite a big difference.

The park will be fine on Opening Day. Bossard knew the frost line was 30 inches but still stayed in AZ. If it being ready really was the concern some articles are making it out to be, he would have been back sooner.

DSpivack
03-18-2014, 11:18 AM
The park will be fine on Opening Day. Bossard knew the frost line was 30 inches but still stayed in AZ. If it being ready really was the concern some articles are making it out to be, he would have been back sooner.
It will be fine because of Bossard's expertise, but likely not ideal. I just took that to mean that Bossard has a little more difficult job than teams opening later.

vinny
03-19-2014, 02:34 PM

Target Field is heated. Not sure about any of the others.