PDA

View Full Version : Significant renovation inside USCF

grv1974
03-14-2014, 10:52 AM
There's a significant renovation inside the ballpark for this year, according to Brooks. There's supposed to be an announcement next week, but has anyone been inside the park recently and know what it might be?

soltrain21
03-14-2014, 10:55 AM
Hard for me to care if it's not the scoreboard.

russ99
03-14-2014, 10:58 AM
There's a significant renovation inside the ballpark for this year, according to Brooks. There's supposed to be an announcement next week, but has anyone been inside the park recently and know what it might be?

Bringing the hall of fame back? Or at least moving parts of it outside the Scout Seats area?

grv1974
03-14-2014, 11:03 AM
Bringing the hall of fame back? Or at least moving parts of it outside the Scout Seats area?

This is the first thing I thought, too. My second thought was maybe they installed handrails on the steps in the lower deck like the ones in the upper deck.

eriqjaffe
03-14-2014, 11:43 AM
They're bringing back the blue seats, since they haven't won a World Series since installing the green ones.

grv1974
03-14-2014, 11:51 AM
I still wish they'd change the outside windows to dark green............just like the ones at Comerica Park.

dvckennyd
03-14-2014, 12:41 PM
New bar (XFinity Bar) down the baseline in the right field corner of 100 level.

KennyD

Red Barchetta
03-14-2014, 01:37 PM
They're finally taking down all the All-Star game decals and pinwheel stickers?! :?:

MUsoxfan
03-14-2014, 01:39 PM
Or adding more escalators that only function half the time

beasly213
03-14-2014, 01:40 PM
They're finally taking down all the All-Star game decals and pinwheel stickers?! :?:

They did that last year. :cool:

dvckennyd
03-14-2014, 02:01 PM
New bar (XFinity Bar) down the baseline in the right field corner of 100 level.

KennyD

Beer vendors not going to be happy... The cooler they used to pull their cases of beer from is being moved out to section 104 now. Longer walk for them to seats on first baseline.

KennyD

DeadMoney
03-14-2014, 02:38 PM
Interesting.

Two summers ago, Brooks shared the following with me when talking about a bar/area with view of the playing field that somewhat mimicked what Seattle has in LCF with 'The 'Pen':
"I WILL STATE THAT WE ARE LOOKING AT SOMETHING ALONG THIS LINE THAT I THINK IS WELL OVERDUE. LOOKING TO FIND A PARTNER."

Looks like they found that partner.

doublem23
03-14-2014, 02:48 PM
Interesting.

Two summers ago, Brooks shared the following with me when talking about a bar/area with view of the playing field that somewhat mimicked what Seattle has in LCF with 'The 'Pen':
"I WILL STATE THAT WE ARE LOOKING AT SOMETHING ALONG THIS LINE THAT I THINK IS WELL OVERDUE. LOOKING TO FIND A PARTNER."

Looks like they found that partner.

Isn't that what the Bullpen Sports Bar was? Don't get me wrong, this sounds interesting, but I thought we already had that.

DeadMoney
03-14-2014, 02:58 PM
Isn't that what the Bullpen Sports Bar was? Don't get me wrong, this sounds interesting, but I thought we already had that.

Yeah, but to get to the Bullpen Sports bar, it's down the ramp away from the game and feels like you're going to a different place altogether. Outside the BPSB, the lower level isn't that great for watching games and the upper level cost extra money (before they turned it into a paid seating area last year). Plus, to even get any of the seats outside, you pretty much had to get there when gates open and they capped how many people could go outside.

To me, the BPSB has never been a quick 'stand-up, go grab a drink, and watch the game for a bit' type setting. It takes some time/effort to get down there and takes you away from the game in the process.

dvckennyd
03-14-2014, 03:13 PM
I'm not sure the field views will be all that great though. The bar is set back along the back wall where that game console interactive thing used to be. So picture that new area, then the actual concourse and then the seats and field.

Jerko
03-14-2014, 03:37 PM
I'm not sure the field views will be all that great though. The bar is set back along the back wall where that game console interactive thing used to be. So picture that new area, then the actual concourse and then the seats and field.

For selfish reasons, I'm glad it's against the back wall. I don't think any stands should be on the "front" (closest to the field) part of the concourse. (in the outfield anyway)

roylestillman
03-14-2014, 03:55 PM
Or adding more escalators that only function half the time

Or actually adding a "Down" feature to the escalators. I'm curious where the retired numbers end up.

Irishsox1
03-17-2014, 01:05 PM
They need a bigger HD video board in center.

doublem23
03-17-2014, 02:17 PM

They need to upgrade the board in LF that's the same cheap-o white lights board that was there when the park was buitl 25 years ago.

I'm sure it was awesome in 1991 but COME THE **** ON

ChicagoG19
03-17-2014, 02:54 PM

It terms of scoreboards, this should be the #1 priority. The Royals' board puts our board to shame.

C-Dawg
03-17-2014, 04:11 PM
This probably isn't it, but one thing they are doing is improving the stormwater runoff at the ballpark. I'd never heard of it, but evidently the batting cages and whatever else is located in the very lowest levels of the park get flooded several times a season, whenever there are torrential rains.

They've installed trench drains beneath the warning track along the foul lines and along the outfield walls; they tie into new storm sewers that exit the park at LF or CF and lead to a new stormwater detention facility beneath the parking lot in the little service court between the stadium walls and the scaffolding structure where they shoot off the fireworks.

I know throughout January and February they were working on this and fighting the weather; hopefully it'll all be done for opening day.

Harry Potter
03-17-2014, 04:13 PM
This probably isn't it, but one thing they are doing is improving the stormwater runoff at the ballpark. I'd never heard of it, but evidently the batting cages and whatever else is located in the very lowest levels of the park get flooded several times a season, whenever there are torrential rains.

They've installed trench drains beneath the warning track along the foul lines and along the outfield walls; they tie into new storm sewers that exit the park at LF or CF and lead to a new stormwater detention facility beneath the parking lot in the little service court between the stadium walls and the scaffolding structure where they shoot off the fireworks.

I know throughout January and February they were working on this and fighting the weather; hopefully it'll all be done for opening day.

Anyone who was at the Sox/Cubs game on May 28th last year experienced this firsthand.

ChiSoxFann
03-17-2014, 04:35 PM
It terms of scoreboards, this should be the #1 priority. The Royals' board puts our board to shame.

Nearly every stadium in MLB puts our scoreboards to shame. The Cubs will have a bigger, better board whenever they can get theirs built.

GABP
03-17-2014, 06:06 PM
Both detroit and cleveland also have outstanding video boards as well

LoveYourSuit
03-17-2014, 08:32 PM
I would love LED boards on the current backwall from foul pole to fundamental deck. An entire continuous wall of screens.

The ad space would pay for it in no time.

GoSox2K3
03-18-2014, 09:11 AM
Nearly every stadium in MLB puts our scoreboards to shame. The Cubs will have a bigger, better board whenever they can get theirs built.

Our scoreboard situation is a joke. For a team that plays in a park that has struggled for years to overcome a reputation of blandness, it doesn't help that the scoreboards are undersized, hard to read, and gives the impression that it was cutting edge for the 1990s.

I would love LED boards on the current backwall from foul pole to fundamental deck. An entire continuous wall of screens.

The ad space would pay for it in no time.

The current ribbon boards at the park are a joke. Unlike ribbon boards at other parks, it's 100% ads and silly graphics. Sure, other parks' boards have this too, but they at least also put in some game stats on those boards some of the time.

dickallen15
03-18-2014, 10:31 AM
Didn't Brooks say a certain amount of teams have to get bigger video boards before the Sox get theirs upgraded? At the time of the last upgrade in CF, I believe 2003, I think that was the largest screen in the league.

You can complain about the White Sox and their video boards all you want, but THIS ISN'T A WHITE SOX ISSUE. THE WHITE SOX ARE TENANTS AND DON'T OWN THE BOARDS OR USCF. THE OWNER HAS TO MAKE THE IMPROVEMENTS.

kittle42
03-18-2014, 11:11 AM
You can complain about the White Sox and their video boards all you want, but THIS ISN'T A WHITE SOX ISSUE. THE WHITE SOX ARE TENANTS AND DON'T OWN THE BOARDS OR USCF. THE OWNER HAS TO MAKE THE IMPROVEMENTS.

The Sox hired HKS to make the last set of improvements. Were the Sox the owner then?

roylestillman
03-18-2014, 11:32 AM
Didn't Brooks say a certain amount of teams have to get bigger video boards before the Sox get theirs upgraded? At the time of the last upgrade in CF, I believe 2003, I think that was the largest screen in the league.

Yes and no. As part of the lease agreement, money is set aside every year for capital improvements to the park ( if I remember correctly, it was about $2 million per year.) it's up to the Sox to decide how to spend it or set it aside for a major improvement later. The Sox can also set aside incremental revenue, in this case ad revenue, to finance the new board. All of the improvements done since 2003 have pretty much come from the bond that was financed from the US Cellular naming rights. Now if the Sox pledged ad revenue from the 2003 boards were installed, they might not be be paid off yet, which would restrict pledging that revenue to a new board. I suspect that may be the problem here.

anewman35
03-18-2014, 01:37 PM

Technically true - but the Sox don't have to just sit back and wait for it to happen. And it's possible that, behind the scenes they are working on it, we don't really know. I just can't imagine that if the Sox offered to pay for a new board that it wouldn't happen. They probably want the state to pay for it, which I guess is technically their right, but it doesn't seem likely to happen anytime soon and it's their fans who get an inferior product in the meantime.

russ99
03-18-2014, 01:56 PM
As far as the fan experience at the game, really only the LF board is horribly out of date, and I do like the newish out of town scoreboard.

The CF board I can live with as far as in the park viewing, I could care less that other parks have bigger or better boards.

Replacing the LF board should be priority.

TomBradley72
03-19-2014, 09:14 AM
When it comes to the whole scoreboard topic- I would love to see a significant renovation to entire outfield concourse area:
Keep the fundamentals area (maybe put in permanent signage vs. the vinyl stuff they put out there each year)
Replace the "tinker toy" and billboard look with a look that includes the arches from Old Comiskey (and the exterior windows of the new park)- you can still have advertising within the arches, etc.
Install a primary scoreboard that is the modern version of the iconic center field scoreboard from old Comiskey- either in straightaway center or if that doesn't work (due to the Fan Deck)- in LF like they have at Comerica Park or Progressive Field.
Include an area that will be the permanent home for displaying the retired numbers and relocate the "White Sox Hall of Fame/Museum" to this area
Possibly fund it through a naming rights deal- the United Airlines Concourse, etc.

roylestillman
03-19-2014, 09:36 AM
When it comes to the whole scoreboard topic- I would love to see a significant renovation to entire outfield concourse area:
Keep the fundamentals area (maybe put in permanent signage vs. the vinyl stuff they put out there each year)
Replace the "tinker toy" and billboard look with a look that includes the arches from Old Comiskey (and the exterior windows of the new park)- you can still have advertising within the arches, etc.
Install a primary scoreboard that is the modern version of the iconic center field scoreboard from old Comiskey- either in straightaway center or if that doesn't work (due to the Fan Deck)- in LF like they have at Comerica Park or Progressive Field.
Include an area that will be the permanent home for displaying the retired numbers and relocate the "White Sox Hall of Fame/Museum" to this area
Possibly fund it through a naming rights deal- the United Airlines Concourse, etc.

You've read my mind on every point. I have always thought that this is exactly what was needed in the outfield. Could you imagine the 1976 version of the old scoreboard updated to full frameless HD LED board like the Royals?

tebman
03-19-2014, 06:09 PM

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSUwzSoAzJYL-g2o62-https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQIeFc05hwdjBSUQc-1IKymN04HJDQNVbtx3vJk9JTAKgKoh1Tz

The beauty of the original board was that it was the focal point of the old ballpark. Veeck was inspired by a pinball machine that erupted in a scene in the play "The Time Of Your Life" by William Saroyan. 54 years ago it was high-flying technology.

It behaved crazily like a pinball machine too, which is what made it so much fun. The light and firework patterns were randomized so it didn't blow up the same way every time. The Sox-O-Gram was a novelty too.

The advertisers on the board paid for it within three years, according to Veeck's book. It didn't cost the Sox anything except some annoyed opponents. With the display technology avaialable today, I don't understand why the Sox haven't jumped on their legacy and brought that goofiness back. Sponsors still exist, and they could pay for a pinball machine/video game/cannonade contraption that could also display all the game data anyone would need.

I don't get it. The Sox should've been all over this years ago.

Foulke You
03-19-2014, 07:22 PM
They need to upgrade the board in LF that's the same cheap-o white lights board that was there when the park was buitl 25 years ago.

I'm sure it was awesome in 1991 but COME THE **** ON
I'm in agreement with you that the dot matrix board is now dated looking but I'm pretty sure that is not the same one that the park opened with. If memory serves, they replaced it around 2002. I believe it was part of the update package they wanted to have done before the All Star Game in 2003. Like the original one, the newer board is also monochrome dot matrix but it is bigger and has a higher resolution than the old one did. The old one was square in the center and had vertical "slots" for the lineups on each end of the square with only room for that player's jersey number in the lineup along with a small light bulb that let you know which player was up to bat. The newer one is completely rectangular and displays the full name of the player along with the number and is highlighted by the dot matrix board itself.

Below is a photo of the left field board taken in the early 90s with the square center and the "number slots" for the lineups:
http://www.baseballtrips.net/ncom2.jpg

Here is a newer photo with our current LF dot matrix board:

http://chicagosidesports.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/US_cellular_chicagoside.jpg

LoveYourSuit
03-19-2014, 09:30 PM
Sorry, maybe I'm not old enough. But that old scoreboard looks like a piece of ****.

Maybe it's time to ditch the whole exploding (which doesn't explode) scoreboard concept and do something else with technology.

Red Barchetta
03-19-2014, 09:40 PM

I agree. Although the black lattace looks better than the original white lattace, I would rather have a bricked archway-type back wall that would hold the scoreboards and advertising. It would help enclose the park and improve the overall look and feel.

Brian26
03-19-2014, 09:40 PM
Sorry, maybe I'm not old enough. But that old scoreboard looks like a piece of ****.

Blasphemy! I missed seeing it in person by one year. I went to my first game in the first year they had the Diamondvision, but I remember staying up late and seeing this thing go off on Channel 44 many nights...

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/2307851/Photo_Mar_03__11_35_19_AM.png

Brian26
03-19-2014, 09:47 PM
This has nothing to do with the Cell, but I was searching for that Veeck scoreboard photo and came across this family that made an Old Comiskey model out of popsicle sticks...
http://kidneytransplantfitnessblog.blogspot.com/2012_11_01_archive.html

Boondock Saint
03-19-2014, 09:48 PM
The movie Major League came out in 1989. Our video board in left field in 2014 is comparable to the video board in that movie.

anewman35
03-19-2014, 10:18 PM
The movie Major League came out in 1989. Our video board in left field in 2014 is comparable to the video board in that movie.

To be fair, the left field board ISN'T a video board and isn't meant to be - it's for game information, which doesn't strictly REQUIRE video. I'm sure the actual video board in center is better than anything in Major League.

That said, I fully agree that the scoreboard situation needs a major upgrade. Just don't think it's fair to compare our secondary board to a main board in 1989.

It's probably a sad statement, but I'm not even sure how much upgraded video stuff would help, because I don't trust the team to actually use it in a manner that makes any sense, they'd probably just cover it all with ads and not display a whole lot more info than they do now...

anewman35
03-19-2014, 10:33 PM
Just so people know what kind of dollars these things cost, apparently the KC board cost $8.2 million back in 2008, Seattle (which is the current biggest board in baseball, unless something is beating it this year) cost $10 million last year. It's clearly not nothing, but it also doesn't strike me as THAT much, especially since it should last for years and could help pay for itself with ads or sponsorship. But, hey, it's always easy to spend somebody else's money...

soxnut67
03-20-2014, 12:43 AM
Blasphemy! I missed seeing it in person by one year. I went to my first game in the first year they had the Diamondvision, but I remember staying up late and seeing this thing go off on Channel 44 many nights...

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/2307851/Photo_Mar_03__11_35_19_AM.png

I was obsessed with that scoreboard as a kid. Hopefully whenever they upgrade which will be when 75% of mlb parks have updated, they will do something like it.

russ99
03-20-2014, 10:21 AM
I was obsessed with that scoreboard as a kid. Hopefully whenever they upgrade which will be when 75% of mlb parks have updated, they will do something like it.

As was I. Plus the fireworks looked like they were coming out of the back of it, as opposed to the giant right-field fireworks complex we have now.

I really miss the bleachers in the old park, and the walkways to and from the upper deck behind the scoreboard. And the picnic area, I could go on and on... :D:

Domeshot17
03-20-2014, 10:42 AM
the lack of a real strong HD board is a big miss at the park. It almost kind of affirms the whole 2nd class team with a 2nd class stadium feeling.

dickallen15
03-20-2014, 10:51 AM
the lack of a real strong HD board is a big miss at the park. It almost kind of affirms the whole 2nd class team with a 2nd class stadium feeling.
Wow.

beasly213
03-20-2014, 12:27 PM
I guess that I'm the only one that goes to the game and doesn't think "Man I wish the jumbotron was bigger"

The improvements done to the park have been fantastic over the years and I guess I just never even thought about them upgrading the scoreboard.

Hitmen77
03-20-2014, 12:37 PM
I guess that I'm the only one that goes to the game and doesn't think "Man I wish the jumbotron was bigger"

The improvements done to the park have been fantastic over the years and I guess I just never even thought about them upgrading the scoreboard.

Yeah, but when I can't even find the freaking line score of the game in front of me (which is the case in many seats in the park), it's a problem.

The Sox aren't popular enough or have a good enough team to rest on the "we don't need a good scoreboard to have fans enjoy the game" laurels.

pmck003
03-20-2014, 12:39 PM

I think there should be a better one since most people like it but seeing that I'm looking at a screen 8-11 hours a day I try not to look.

beasly213
03-20-2014, 12:44 PM
Yeah, but when I can't even find the freaking line score of the game in front of me (which is the case in many seats in the park), it's a problem.

The Sox aren't popular enough or have a good enough team to rest on the "we don't need a good scoreboard to have fans enjoy the game" laurels.

That is true. They just need to switch the board in left Field more towards CF so your view isn't blocked by the fundamentals deck.

kittle42
03-20-2014, 01:24 PM

Wow.

As in, "Wow, that is completely right." Because it is.

I know a bunch of us like to join conversations like this to throw out the old "I guess I'm the type who comes to watch a game and doesn't need a state of the art scoreboard" statements. Yes, we *here* all are.

But the point is causal, non-lunatic fans like us so not feel this way. They *do* care what the park is like, whether the ushers smile, and stuff like that. It makes the trip pleasant and worth the money for them, and encourages them to come again.

dickallen15
03-20-2014, 01:59 PM

I know a bunch of us like to join conversations like this to throw out the old "I guess I'm the type who comes to watch a game and doesn't need a state of the art scoreboard" statements. Yes, we *here* all are.

But the point is causal, non-lunatic fans like us so not feel this way. They *do* care what the park is like, whether the ushers smile, and stuff like that. It makes the trip pleasant and worth the money for them, and encourages them to come again.

So the Sox are a second class team because of the size of their video board. That is classic.

The good news was for a little while they had the biggest video board in the league. So they were first class, and you know what, it didn't exactly cause the turnstiles to break from overuse. Please explain.

People don't go to games because of the size of the video board. Just check 8 miles north of USCF.

Boondock Saint
03-20-2014, 02:27 PM

Yeah, tourism is a big deal. When we're competing with the Cubs for tourists, and the Cubs don't need a modern stadium because of "atmosphere" or "history" or whatever you want to call it, the Sox need to stand out in other ways. We're not playing superior baseball, so we need to improve what we can. A modern stadium experience goes a long way in that regard.

dickallen15
03-20-2014, 02:31 PM
Yeah, tourism is a big deal. When we're competing with the Cubs for tourists, and the Cubs don't need a modern stadium because of "atmosphere", the Sox need to stand out in other ways. We're not playing superior baseball, so we need to improve what we can. A modern stadium experience goes a long way in that regard.
Exactly how many "tourists" are posting on here complaining about a video board or ticket takers and ushers not smiling? Where, other than here, do can you find these complaints? Supposedly most people here became White Sox fans when there was no video board, or had one even smaller than the board they have now. What year did the size of the video board make a difference in WSI posters' decision to either attend or not attend a game?

russ99
03-20-2014, 02:33 PM
Xfinity Bar it is:

https://www.facebook.com/notes/chicago-white-sox/white-sox-to-open-xfinity-zone-at-the-ballpark/10152697905448047

DumpJerry
03-20-2014, 02:35 PM
The scoreboard keeps people away? Please. People go to a baseball game to see a baseball game. Want to watch animation on a large screen? Go to your local AMC Multiplex.

I've been to Cleveland's stadium. The scoreboard is a huge distraction.

russ99
03-20-2014, 02:37 PM
The scoreboard keeps people away? Please. People go to a baseball game to see a baseball game. Want to watch animation on a large screen? Go to your local AMC Multiplex.

I've been to Cleveland's stadium. The scoreboard is a huge distraction.

Scoreboards are for reference. Every once in a while I'll look up to check something.

I'm not about to go to a game in a stadium where the seats are all angled so you can see where the action takes place to watch it on a videoboard.

Besides, I'd rather see Jerry spend $10-20M on the team than on a scoreboard.

Boondock Saint
03-20-2014, 02:43 PM
Exactly how many "tourists" are posting on here complaining about a video board or ticket takers and ushers not smiling? Where, other than here, do can you find these complaints? Supposedly most people here became White Sox fans when there was no video board, or had one even smaller than the board they have now. What year did the size of the video board make a difference in WSI posters' decision to either attend or not attend a game?

We're not talking about Sox fans here. We're talking about casual baseball fans and tourists. Do you really expect tourists to come onto a non-official message board to complain about anything? You're burying your head in the sand if you don't think a modern video board would help the Sox bring people to the stadium.

Boondock Saint
03-20-2014, 02:43 PM
Scoreboards are for reference. Every once in a while I'll look up to check something.

I'm not about to go to a game in a stadium where the seats are all angled so you can see where the action takes place to watch it on a videoboard.

Besides, I'd rather see Jerry spend $10-20M on the team than on a scoreboard.

I hate this logic. Who says it has to be one or the other?

dickallen15
03-20-2014, 02:51 PM
We're not talking about Sox fans here. We're talking about casual baseball fans and tourists. Do you really expect tourists to come onto a non-official message board to complain about anything? You're burying your head in the sand if you don't think a modern video board would help the Sox bring people to the stadium.

At the time it was installed, the video board in CF was the largest of it's kind. How many people went to the games to look at the new board? I know everyone here is a marketing expert, and marketing experts who actually get paid to be marketing experts like Brooks Boyer, are buffoons, but there is absolutely no evidence a big giant video board would lure tourists to USCF.

Boondock Saint
03-20-2014, 02:54 PM
At the time it was installed, the video board in CF was the largest of it's kind. How many people went to the games to look at the new board? I know everyone here is a marketing expert, and marketing experts who actually get paid to be marketing experts like Brooks Boyer, are buffoons, but there is absolutely no evidence a big giant video board would lure tourists to USCF.

Would you stop with this condescending garbage? "I know everyone here's a marketing expert", so you are, then? It's a discussion, you don't have to talk down to everybody that disagrees with you. Not everybody who disagrees with you is an ******* or an idiot. For ****'s sake.

dickallen15
03-20-2014, 03:00 PM
Would you stop with this condescending garbage? "I know everyone here's a marketing expert", so you are, then? It's a discussion, you don't have to talk down to everybody that disagrees with you. Not everybody who disagrees with you is an ******* or an idiot. For ****'s sake.

You are the one making claims attendance will rise just by spending several million on a new video board. The Sox even have had the biggest board in the league. Yet you show no proof. You can say I'm talking down to you, but you are making claims you refuse to even attempt to back up. Your only evidence is because you say so. How did other teams' attendance rise when all they did was improve their video boards?

Boondock Saint
03-20-2014, 03:04 PM
You are the one making claims attendance will rise just by spending several million on a new video board. The Sox even have had the biggest board in the league. Yet you show no proof. You can say I'm talking down to you, but you are making claims you refuse to even attempt to back up. Your only evidence is because you say so. How did other teams' attendance rise when all they did was improve their video boards?

It's simple logic. A new state of the art video board is an attraction. By your logic, no team should ever make any improvements on their stadium to keep up with league standards because nothing will ever truly improve attendance numbers, yet everybody does it.

doublem23
03-20-2014, 03:09 PM

Well, the Cell was a major draw when it first opened, now the park is just old and stale. I don't know if it will translate directly to butts in seats, but when this **** is so far behind every other team in the Majors, it is a little startling.

Red Barchetta
03-20-2014, 03:11 PM
Xfinity Bar it is:

https://www.facebook.com/notes/chicago-white-sox/white-sox-to-open-xfinity-zone-at-the-ballpark/10152697905448047

Sort of cool I guess from a corporate or group outing perspective. A nice place to hang around during a rain delay or before/after the ballgame.

However, I never understood the desire to go to a ballpark and sit inside a bar and watch the game on TV. That's where I go when I can't go to the game. :D:

anewman35
03-20-2014, 03:13 PM
Nobody is claiming that a new scoreboard is going to bring in millions of new people. However, it probably brings in SOME, and worse case scenario it's not going to bring LESS. All these other teams (in markets of all sizes) wouldn't add them if they didn't bring in people and/or revenue. If you're a hard core life long baseball fan, you probably don't care, but if you're a six year old, maybe you do. There are minor league parks with better scoreboards than we have and that's just not good.

anewman35
03-20-2014, 03:19 PM
One last thing - people in this very thread have posted about how they were obsessed with the old park's scoreboard when they were kids, and that probably helped form their love of the team. The same thing could happen with kids today, if we had a scoreboard that wasn't an embarrassment compared to the rest of the league.

dickallen15
03-20-2014, 03:23 PM
One last thing - people in this very thread have posted about how they were obsessed with the old park's scoreboard when they were kids, and that probably helped form their love of the team. The same thing could happen with kids today, if we had a scoreboard that wasn't an embarrassment compared to the rest of the league.

Are there really people here that wouldn't have liked the White Sox had they had a different scoreboard when they were kids?

kittle42
03-20-2014, 03:45 PM
So the Sox are a second class team because of the size of their video board. That is classic.

The good news was for a little while they had the biggest video board in the league. So they were first class, and you know what, it didn't exactly cause the turnstiles to break from overuse. Please explain.

People don't go to games because of the size of the video board. Just check 8 miles north of USCF.

The Cubs could do almost nothing to renovate Wrigley Field and people will go there in droves. It's "historic" and all that crap. Despite that, even *they* are renovating and putting in video screens the way the Red Sox have.

For the Sox - or many "non-traditionally-popular" teams - the ballpark experience, including, yes, gamewatching amenities like scoreboards and the like, are significant for attracting a person to the park and, more significantly, getting a person to return. A state-of-the-art stadium can make up for some things on the field for more dedicated fans, and certainly is much more of an attraction for the causal person looking to spend his or her dollars.

Point being, those boards in the outfield suck, and if you travel around the majors, the majority of parks have much better. That's bad.

kittle42
03-20-2014, 03:46 PM
Are there really people here that wouldn't have liked the White Sox had they had a different scoreboard when they were kids?

There are very likely people who wouldn't have become fans if not for a gimmicky exploding scoreboard.

anewman35
03-20-2014, 03:46 PM

Here? Maybe not. But you have to be a pretty serious fan to be here. In the wider world, I'm sure there are some people like that.

kittle42
03-20-2014, 03:51 PM

Arguments like those presented by dickallen here are frequently seen from hardcore fans who find it hard to step outside hardcore fandom and accept that the majority of fans attending sporting events are not hardcore fans, and that to many, "an experience" at a game can be as important or moreso than what happens on the field. The Cubs and Wrigley are a prime and nearby example. Sell the stadium and sell the experience and get people in the stadium. Winning is even better.

It's preaching to the choir that fans shouldn't "need" amenities, top-notch video, etc. at a game to want to come to a game - we here are ALL people who go regardless. But we are not the people that teams market to. They've got our money already.

dickallen15
03-20-2014, 03:53 PM
Here? Maybe not. But you have to be a pretty serious fan to be here. In the wider world, I'm sure there are some people like that.
Very few to make a difference.
But here is where the complaining about the scoreboard is happening.

The White Sox will eventually get a new video board and it will be spectacular for a year or 2, then it will be average then people here will be saying its "embarrassing".

The Royals got a big new board in 2009. Their attendance hasn't reached 2008 levels since.

comiskey2000
03-20-2014, 04:06 PM
There is some great land in Rosemont that doesn't seem like it's going to be used. Access to multiple highways, public transportation, and would even have new scoreboards.

Wait, maybe not teal???

kittle42
03-20-2014, 05:21 PM
The Royals got a big new board in 2009. Their attendance hasn't reached 2008 levels since.

That's a false statement. (http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/KCR/attend.shtml)

And even if you want to make the point that attendance was lower in 2010, 2011, 2012, and 2013 than it was when the board went up in 2009, look at the 4-5 year total vs. the 4-5 year total before the renovations.

anewman35
03-20-2014, 06:41 PM
Very few to make a difference.
But here is where the complaining about the scoreboard is happening.

The White Sox will eventually get a new video board and it will be spectacular for a year or 2, then it will be average then people here will be saying its "embarrassing".

Here's another example. It's not exactly the same thing, but I think the point holds:

My kids (despite my best efforts) don't really like baseball. You know what my kids do like? Fundamentals. I'm not going to go back and look, but I bet some of these same arguments were made about it back then. But the thing is, when my kids like something, I do it more. That means that I'm going to more games and they're going to more games (which helps attendance a bit now), AND the fond memories of the park they're making now makes it more likely they'll become lifelong fans of the team in the future. So, one day, they're not going to be fans because they like Fundamentals in 20 years, but maybe they will be fans because they liked it now.

For some kids, their Fundamentals might be a really giant hightech scoreboard.

TomBradley72
03-20-2014, 06:56 PM
The whole scoreboard thing frustrates me- I don't like having to look at 3 different scoreboards to get basic baseball info- especially with obstructed site lines (to the original scoreboards) created by the Fan Deck and Fundamentals areas.

I want one primary scoreboard to see the 9 inning line score, the R/H/E summary- batting orders/whos coming up for both teams and video. I don't want to look at 3-4 different scoreboards to get that info. Is it going to keep me away from games until they fix it? No.

Do I think it will improve the overall look of the ballpark and the enjoyment of the casual fan? Yes-

I went to South Bend minor league game last summer- I liked their scoreboard set up better than the one at The Cell-

mrwag
03-21-2014, 08:47 AM
My biggest irritant at the game isn't the scoreboard - it's the loud, obnoxious music that gets blared all the time.

FallOfFingolfin
03-21-2014, 09:21 AM
My biggest irritant at the game isn't the scoreboard - it's the loud, obnoxious music that gets blared all the time.

I've read numerous reviews from outsiders who review ballparks that say the same thing.

Shoeless
03-21-2014, 09:45 AM
I just like to watch the White Sox play. I go to one game a year and there's nothing that can bother me.

I miss being so close :whiner:

LITTLE NELL
03-21-2014, 12:48 PM

Agree 100%, its even worse at NHL games.

beasly213
03-21-2014, 03:03 PM

Only people I've ever heard complain about this is the older crowd. It's not like music is blaring during play or in between pitches. It's used as entertainment to go along with video packages or other on field stuff (T shirt toss Dance for Da Burger etc.)

Vernam
03-21-2014, 04:24 PM
Only people I've ever heard complain about this is the older crowd. It's not like music is blaring during play or in between pitches. It's used as entertainment to go along with video packages or other on field stuff (T shirt toss Dance for Da Burger etc.)

If, by "older crowd," you mean "people who enjoy conversation rather than mindlessly scanning their smartphone screens," then we are totally on the same page. Er, screen. :wink:

If the music is too loud to hear the person next to you, it's too loud, objectively.

TheVulture
03-21-2014, 04:46 PM
I thought it was too loud ever since the Cell opened, when I was in middle school. I still vibrate the house and blow speakers to this day, I just don't go to baseball games to have music I don't like blasted in my face. I go to watch baseball and talk to my dad and look at the ladies.