PDA

View Full Version : ISU article about Chris Rongey

thomas35forever
03-06-2014, 01:15 PM
http://stories.illinoisstate.edu/magazine/illinois-state/state-side/alum-ready-another-baseball-season-white-sox-radio-host/
Very interesting read, especially if you like broadcasting stories.

Rocky Soprano
03-06-2014, 02:30 PM
All I am going to say is that I am not a fan of his work.

Noneck
03-06-2014, 03:41 PM
Im no expert on this but if he wants to be a play by play announcer shouldnt he be doing some play by play to hone his skills? Like getting a minor league gig somewhere.

Tragg
03-06-2014, 03:53 PM
Didn't Dave Wills go from that gig to Tampa Bay PBP?
Maybe Wills had a different background - I just remember him being the pregame host (and a damn good one).

Noneck
03-06-2014, 04:05 PM
Didn't Dave Wills go from that gig to Tampa Bay PBP?
Maybe Wills had a different background - I just remember him being the pregame host (and a damn good one).

I believe he did the kane county cougars.

EMachine10
03-06-2014, 04:31 PM
All I am going to say is that I am not a fan of his work.
+1. He has become a tough listen, in my opinion.

Domeshot17
03-06-2014, 04:44 PM
+1. He has become a tough listen, in my opinion.

I just don't think he gets his fanbase. While I like Boers and Bernstein and I get the act of putting the meatballs down, Rongey sucks at it. Mostly because his domain is not the B & B show, and we he just tries to get all cavalier with the fans, it is the wrong place to do so.

Rocky Soprano
03-06-2014, 04:53 PM
I just don't think he gets his fanbase. While I like Boers and Bernstein and I get the act of putting the meatballs down, Rongey sucks at it. Mostly because his domain is not the B & B show, and we he just tries to get all cavalier with the fans, it is the wrong place to do so.

Which is why the following quote is so absurd and false that it made me cringe:

“The best thing about Chris’ style: He is not quick on the trigger on anything,” Lamonica said. “He will let callers talk.”

FoulTerritory
03-06-2014, 07:14 PM

Also, he always takes this position of not being over-reactionary toward player and coach performance which in and of itself is good. However, he seems to use that as an excuse to avoid coming down on players or fairly considering the opinions expressed by critical callers.

Yes, sometimes callers bitch about stupid things, but other times callers' critiques have some wisdom -- they are noticing and criticizing patterned and chronic issues. I think his main flaw is that he has trouble differentiated between these two types of calls. He treats almost all complaining callers like their idiots, but many are not.

RF/DH#3
03-06-2014, 08:02 PM
He does a pretty good job at what he does with the callers IMO. I could see him and Wills someday being the 2 guys in the booth.

vinny
03-06-2014, 08:17 PM

I ask this in all seriousness: Chris Rongey has a fan base? :?:

BainesHOF
03-08-2014, 09:53 AM
Yes, sometimes callers bitch about stupid things, but other times callers' critiques have some wisdom -- they are noticing and criticizing patterned and chronic issues. I think his main flaw is that he has trouble differentiated between these two types of calls. He treats almost all complaining callers like their idiots, but many are not.

Exactly. It's never a good hearing a knowledgeable fan cut off by an unknowledgeable host.

It would be nice to have a host befitting a Major League Baseball team in a major market. Thank goodness we have Chuck Garfien on TV. Garfien is great.

mahagga73
03-08-2014, 06:36 PM
I'm an ISU alum and had no idea he went there too. That being said, his show has nothing to offer any Sox fan with a brain. I get the impression he is keenly aware of future prospects within the media network of the team and therefore , even callers with valid criticisms of the team and its players, are made to look stupid or reactionary . I don't listen to the show much for that reason if at all.I understand his employment is contingent on the teams approval, but he takes company man to a whole nother level to me. When you have a team that goes from WS title to barren farm system and 99 losses in a matter of a few years, somebody fell asleep at the wheel or did a remarkably inept job and much criticism is warranted. That was the worst baseball team I've ever seen last year, it's almost incomprehensible somebody got paid to put that on the field.

Corlose 15
03-08-2014, 07:02 PM
That was the worst baseball team I've ever seen last year, it's almost incomprehensible somebody got paid to put that on the field.

That wasn't even the worst team in baseball last season.

mahagga73
03-08-2014, 07:19 PM
That wasn't even the worst team in baseball last season.

I only watch the Sox closely . That was the first time I can remember being completely demoralized and hopeless when the season was barely half over. Ruined my summer of baseball watching because I don't care about the other teams until the playoffs.

Vernam
03-08-2014, 08:44 PM
I try to give Rongey the benefit of doubt, because years of taking on-air calls after ballgames would drive nearly anyone to loathe a significant segment of a team's fan base. Some guys would try to hide it more than he does.

He cut his teeth when the Sox had a damn good team, and the pants pissers calling back then were pretty delusional in identifying what was or wasn't wrong with the Sox. I think that's when he got into the habit of cutting people off if they expressed anything but homer sentiments. Now that the team has had a brutal run, more often than not he's the one who sounds delusional or disingenuous.

We've all had jobs that, for whatever reason, start to bring out the worst in us. When that happens, we owe it to ourselves to make a change before the worst takes over. Rongey sounds like a guy who hates his job. He'd do himself and the listeners a big favor by finding another one.

Stanley
03-09-2014, 02:40 PM
Rongey is awful. Ugh.

Somehow makes me hate the White Sox and want to drive into a light pole.

Dibbs
03-09-2014, 06:09 PM
Rongey is terrible. One of the reasons I am not as big of fan as I used to be. I would rather have Kaplan hosting that show.

tebman
03-09-2014, 07:41 PM
Rongey is terrible. One of the reasons I am not as big of fan as I used to be. I would rather have Kaplan hosting that show.

:bundy

DonnieDarko
03-10-2014, 06:10 AM

I can understand SOME of the Rongey hate (even if I think that it's misplaced), but damn, man. That's just going too far.

Jerko
03-10-2014, 11:46 AM
I can't even listen to him do updates in the off-season.

gobears1987
03-10-2014, 12:14 PM
Rongey is just terrible. When I listen to Sox games, I turn the station as soon as they record the final out.

skobabe8
03-10-2014, 04:59 PM
Dave Wills last year here was 2004. Rongey started in 2006. Who was in 2005? :scratch:

Harry Potter
03-10-2014, 05:45 PM
Dave Wills last year here was 2004. Rongey started in 2006. Who was in 2005? :scratch:

I think Bryan Dolgin

skobabe8
03-10-2014, 05:58 PM
I think Bryan Dolgin

I KNEW there was a guy who only did it for a season or two but couldnt remember his name. But I think you are right.

Mohoney
03-10-2014, 07:49 PM
Harry Potter is right. Bryan Dolgin was the host in 2005. He also hosted for the Rangers when they went to the World Series.

FoulTerritory
03-10-2014, 07:54 PM
Harry Potter is right. Bryan Dolgin was the host in 2005. He also hosted for the Rangers when they went to the World Series.

I remember Dolgin being pretty good. Not as good as Wills but miles better than Rongey. Plus, he's obviously good luck.

Dolgin was ESPN 1000's choice to replace Wills but then the Sox switched to WSCR in the 05/06 offseason and Dolgin was done.

Marqhead
03-10-2014, 08:11 PM

I remember Dolgin for his catch phrase. Every game he would announce "White Sox baseball coming up...RIGHT NOW."

Jayhawk73
03-11-2014, 08:27 PM
I disagree with most posters in this thread regarding Chris Rongey's performance.

I haven't posted in a long time.... but I've been following the Sox through thick and thin and am an avid reader of this website.

I've been a Sox fan for decades (born in 1951). When I was a youngster I clipped a primitive radio to one of my bed springs and listened to Sox broadcasts.

When in graduate school in Berkeley I attended a few games in Oakland; years later while living in DC saw some Sox games in Baltimore (including one in which Frank homered twice); and more recently, in KC.

I lived and worked overseas for long periods of time and didn't have access to much of anything Sox other than the clippings my mother sent to me for years at a time.

With the advent of cable, the internet and mlb.com I can satiate my demand for all things Sox (and Bears and KU basketball).

But I digress. Rongey has an excellent voice, is articulate, rather patient, and effective in countering most critiques/complaints offered by Sox fans. Of course countering the post-game assertions of many Sox fans is not terribly taxing--many seem incapable of coherent thought, or at any rate, of articulating their thoughts. Evidently it's a sign of our times.

Members of this board excepted, of course.

Harry Potter
03-12-2014, 07:15 AM
I disagree with most posters in this thread regarding Chris Rongey's performance.

But I digress. Rongey has an excellent voice, is articulate, rather patient, and effective in countering most critiques/complaints offered by Sox fans. Of course countering the post-game assertions of many Sox fans is not terribly taxing--many seem incapable of coherent thought, or at any rate, of articulating their thoughts. Evidently it's a sign of our times.

Thanks for joining the discussion Mr. Rongey