PDA

View Full Version : Simas not back next year? And injury updates

Jerry_Manuel
08-09-2001, 12:28 AM
From the Trib:
ANAHEIM - Jerry Manuel spotted Bill Simas in the White Sox's clubhouse at Edison Field and immediately began some finger-pointing.

"I told him he started all this stuff with the [injured] middle relievers," Manuel said. "He put a hex on us."

Simas was the first in a series of Sox players with season-ending injuries. His elbow surgery took place last December. Simas and Antonio Osuna, who have homes in California, were both in Anaheim this week to give Sox trainer Herm Schneider a read on their rehabilitations.

Simas threw off a mound for the fourth time Wednesday and said he should be able to start facing hitters in September. A free agent after this season, Simas hasn't gotten any indication the Sox are interested in retaining him.

Does Simas want to return?

"I don't know," he said. "It's hard to feel wanted when you're at home doing therapy on your own. If I'm missed, I'll be here next year. If not, I'll be able to help someone else."

Added to the walking wounded is catcher Sandy Alomar Jr., whose right knee locked on him as he hit a three-run home run in the third inning Wednesday. He is expected to be put on the disabled list.

Where are they? So what about the other injured Sox players? Here's a rundown:

Frank Thomas is in the Los Angeles area, according to his teammates, but has not stopped by Edison Field yet. The visiting clubhouse manager has left Thomas' uniform and nameplate in his locker in case Thomas decides to come to the park. Thomas has made several trips to Comiskey Park this summer, but is still four to five months away from being able to work out again.

Harold Baines has been the injured player seen most frequently at Comiskey, but whether he'll be able to return from his left hip flexor is not known. Baines said during the last homestand that he still is not close to being able to hit again.

Kelly Wunsch (torn rotator cuff) is at his home in Houston tending to his wife, Jessica, who is due to give birth sometime in September.

Jim Parque (partial rotator tears) is back home in nearby Long Beach, but also has yet to stop by Edison Field during the Angels series.

Lorenzo Barcelo (torn rotator cuff) is reportedly at home in the Dominican Republic.

David Wells (herniated discs) is back with his family at his Tampa area home. Wells stopped by Tropicana Field in St. Petersburg on Wednesday to see some old friends on the Yankees and told reporters he is planning on making a comeback from his season-ending back surgery.

"I know I have a lot of innings left in me," Wells said. "I'd rather go out on a good note and that's playing a full season. I want to go out healthy, so I'm going to give it another try."

The Sox will not pick up Wells' $10 million option, and the 38-year-old is likely to sign a minor-league contract with the Yankees next spring, granted his back is sound.

Dogs days: Wally Backman, manager of the Sox's Class A affiliate in Winston-Salem, doesn't mince words about his Warthogs, who are 42-72.

"Half of them are dogs, and to tell you the truth, half of them may be released this year," Backman told the local newspaper.

Bmr31
08-09-2001, 12:32 AM
SHELL-mas needs to move on...

fuzzy_patters
08-09-2001, 12:40 AM
It would be nice to see some of these prima donnas be around the team a little more. Seems like I remember Brian Simmons sitting in the dugout just about every game last year.

Tragg
08-09-2001, 12:51 AM
"Half of them are dogs" ---> Tell 'em Wally Backman. Sounds like you'd be fun to have up here.

Isn't it at least a bit disturbing that our injured players that live in cal aren't visiting the team at least when they're in Anaheim. jim parque? come on.

And to Sox management - billy bob is a solid middle reliever. Not worth breaking the bank over, but as good as you will find in the professional middle reliever ranks.