PDA

View Full Version : Different era

LongDistanceFan
08-08-2002, 02:25 AM
i been thinking about this for a long time, esp with the Billy Pierce story. if you had a chance to see an era of great players playing ball, which era would your see and which players?

RedPinStripes
08-08-2002, 02:49 AM
Originally posted by LongDistanceFan
i been thinking about this for a long time, esp with the Billy Pierce story. if you had a chance to see an era of great players playing ball, which era would your see and which players?

That's tough because I'd like to see from 1900-1983. I was aroumd for 83 , but i'd like to see it again. :smile:

WhiteSox = Life
08-08-2002, 06:24 AM

I would probably choose the Post-Reinsdorf Era, and whatever players we managed to keep.

:reinsy
"Post-Reinsdorf Era? Oh, that's a laugh and a half. Besides, you all know I'm never going away. 'I'm gonna live forever' like that song. I might learn to fly, too. But, 'PRE'? Hah! Only in your dreams. And you can all thank Mr. De Leon for that."

In all seriousness, though, I would probably pick the era of 1900-1920, just because that was the height of baseball in Chicago. Sure, I'd have to endure the Flubs getting to the World Series 3 years in a row, but to see the White Sox beat them in aught-six, that would be a definite highlight of my life.

Then, I'd get to see them win in 1917 also, so it's two for the price of one. Who knows? I might be able to convince the infamous squad of 1919 to play the World Series to win. So, that'd be 3 championships in less than 15 years. And, without the BS Scandal overshadowing the Chicago White Sox for the rest of their franchise history, they might become MLB's winningest team of all time.

I might even be able to convince Comiskey to go after Ruth (with the proper cajoling, of course :D: ).

Ah, the possibilites... :)

LongDistanceFan
08-08-2002, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by WhiteSox = Life

just having the ability to see some of the greats of yester year. ty cobb, cy young, shoeless joe, the babe, iron man lou, the murderers row, walter johnson, Hank Greenberg, Willie Mays, Rogers Hornsby, Jackie Robinson, Satchel’ Paige, nellie, the 59 soxs, roger and mickey of the yanks, hank arron.

i wonder if people will say the same of today. with the likes of randy, curt, barry, griffey, mcguire, etc....

duke of dorwood
08-08-2002, 09:55 AM
Sure they will-and they'll probably talk about the game winning hit by the Choice-"where the bat spintered into the dark night sky, and the Sox winning run scampered home amid a shower of slivers and sawdust"

TornLabrum
08-08-2002, 10:10 AM
My grandpa, the Sox fan, used to take my aunt, the Cubs fan, to Comiskey Park to see Babe Ruth play the wretched Sox teams in the '20s play the Yankees with Babe Ruth. We were talking about that a few months ago when she was out here visiting.

I was in awe just because she'd seen Ruth play because to my generation, he was the standard everyone was judged by. I'd give anything to see Ruth play just once in his prime.

:hitless

"Hey! You get to see me play! That's even better!"

baggio202
08-08-2002, 11:43 AM
id have to pick the dead ball era too from 00-20....it would be heaven to see the '06 world series....stoy about flub fans committing suicide??..pure heaven.....to see the the '17 sopx and the black sox..watching that series and getting to see the fix for real....have to be that era...

nut_stock
08-08-2002, 11:50 AM
I want to see 1906 and 1917. The thought of beating the Cubs to take it all is extraordinary. (I'd also get to see what South Side Grounds looked like) And I must see 1917, since we all know nothing extraordinary has happened since.

MarkEdward
08-08-2002, 11:56 AM

Here's a couple of years/teams I'd like to see:

1. 1906 World Series- It would be great to see the "lowly" White Sox upset one of the greatest teams in history. It's extra special because that team was the Cubs.

2. 1917 World Series- Just to see the last World Series win for the Sox. Ray Shalk, Eddie Collins, Buck Weaver, Happy Felsch, Joe Jackson, Ed Cicotte, Red Faber, Claude Williams.

3. I'd just like to observe the 1919 fiasco, with the fix and trial et al.

4. A game from the 1942 season, just to see Luke Appling and an aging Ted Lyons.

5. 1959, obviously.

6. I'd like to re-live the 1993 season.

Iwritecode
08-08-2002, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by TornLabrum
My grandpa, the Sox fan, used to take my aunt, the Cubs fan, to Comiskey Park to see Babe Ruth play the wretched Sox teams in the '20s play the Yankees with Babe Ruth. We were talking about that a few months ago when she was out here visiting.

I was in awe just because she'd seen Ruth play because to my generation, he was the standard everyone was judged by. I'd give anything to see Ruth play just once in his prime.

Maybe my memory is wrong on this but wasn't the famous "called shot" that Ruth hit against the Cubs?

TornLabrum
08-08-2002, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by Iwritecode

Maybe my memory is wrong on this but wasn't the famous "called shot" that Ruth hit against the Cubs?

In the '32 series against Charlie Root.

Iwritecode
08-08-2002, 12:59 PM
In the '32 series against Charlie Root.

OK, that's what I thought. That's one game I would like see along with many already mentioned. Your grandpa and aunt didn't happen to see this game did they?

TornLabrum
08-08-2002, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by Iwritecode

OK, that's what I thought. That's one game I would like see along with many already mentioned. Your grandpa and aunt didn't happen to see this game did they?

I don't think my grandpa back then would have set foot in Wrigley Field for all the tea in China.

MisterB
08-08-2002, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by WhiteSox = Life
I might even be able to convince Comiskey to go after Ruth (with the proper cajoling, of course :D: ).

Ah, the possibilites... :)

Actually, the Sox almost did get Ruth. Contrary to popular belief, Harry Frazee didn't sell Ruth to finance 'No! No! Nanette', he needed cash to fight several lawsuits (including one against AL president Ban Johnson). After the 1919 season, Frazee wanted to move Ruth because, although he was an obviously gifted ballplayer, he was becoming a headcase and causing problems in the clubhouse. The only other AL owners that weren't shutting Frazee out (due to his litigation with Johnson) were Charles Comiskey and Yankees owner Jacob Ruppert. Comiskey offered him Joe Jackson and $60,000 cash, Ruppert offered $100,000. Frazee needed the cash more than a player and took Ruppert's offer. The rest is history. Though you wonder what Ruth would have done playing half his games in Comiskey Park (about 362 ft. down the RF line until 1930) as opposed to the Polo Grounds (257 ft.) and Yankee Stadium (297 ft.). The expansion of Comiskey Park in '27 might have looked very different.

Jerry_Manuel
08-08-2002, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by MisterB
Comiskey offered him Joe Jackson and $60,000 cash, Ruppert offered $100,000. Frazee needed the cash more than a player and took Ruppert's offer. The rest is history.

Maybe Schu told Comiskey that Ruth was done. I'm sure that's why he offered less cash.

:)

Iguana775
08-08-2002, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel

Maybe Schu told Comiskey that Ruth was done. I'm sure that's why he offered less cash.

:)

:) LMAO

NUKE_CLEVELAND
08-08-2002, 08:26 PM

I'd have to go with the 60's. Koufax, Seaver & Nolan Ryan as a rookie etc....etc..... Can't beat that.

idseer
08-08-2002, 10:22 PM

if i could go back and pay better attention, i'd love to see the 50's both leagues (comiskey AND wrigley) ....
.... aaron, mays, musial, banks, j & f robinson, spahn, herb score in 1954, mantle, t. williams esp. in 1955, kaline, ....

.... and of course pierce, donovan, minoso, fox, aparicio, lollar, dropo, landis, smith, staley, lown, goodman, phillips, carrasquel, rivera, wynn, harshman, keegan, etc. ......

LongDistanceFan
08-09-2002, 12:31 AM
ahhh to compare and pick a era. what is the dates in a era, that needs to define. for this purpose any 15-20 yr. with that, my heart went to the 1920-1939. what stars during this time. my dreams to see any of these players. you see movies made about them. the list of great players is too long to mention.

but i have to say the 1950-1969 is what i would like. with the color barrier broken and seeing a multi group of players playing and let not forget the 60's with the great pitchers coming along. that is my pick, but just barely.

TornLabrum
08-09-2002, 12:40 AM
ahhh to compare and pick a era. what is the dates in a era, that needs to define. for this purpose any 15-20 yr. with that, my heart went to the 1920-1939. what stars during this time. my dreams to see any of these player. you see movies made about them. the list of great players is too long to mention.

but i have to say the 1950-1969 is what i would like. with the color barrier broken and seeing a multi group of players playing and let not forget the 60's with the great pitcher coming along. that is my pick, but just barely.

One thing I'd like to go back and see if my memory is accurate is the play of Willie Mays in the All-Star Game. I seem to remember him batting leadoff at least in some of those games and just running wild on the basepaths. The thing is I don't really remember if that's a memory of one game or several.

The '50s were also great for the Hamm's Beer ads on Cubs and Sox broadcasts, and Harry Creighton getting plotzed drinking the product during commercials, especially during doubleheaders.

One thing I hated about the '50s, though, is one of the things I hate about the '90s, and that's the absolute dominance of the AL by the Yankees. As good as the Go-Go Sox were, they never could compete unless the Yankees underwent a total collapse like they did in '59.

DVG
08-09-2002, 12:47 AM
Originally posted by MisterB

Actually, the Sox almost did get Ruth. Contrary to popular belief, Harry Frazee didn't sell Ruth to finance 'No! No! Nanette', he needed cash to fight several lawsuits (including one against AL president Ban Johnson). After the 1919 season, Frazee wanted to move Ruth because, although he was an obviously gifted ballplayer, he was becoming a headcase and causing problems in the clubhouse. The only other AL owners that weren't shutting Frazee out (due to his litigation with Johnson) were Charles Comiskey and Yankees owner Jacob Ruppert. Comiskey offered him Joe Jackson and $60,000 cash, Ruppert offered $100,000. Frazee needed the cash more than a player and took Ruppert's offer. The rest is history. Though you wonder what Ruth would have done playing half his games in Comiskey Park (about 362 ft. down the RF line until 1930) as opposed to the Polo Grounds (257 ft.) and Yankee Stadium (297 ft.). The expansion of Comiskey Park in '27 might have looked very different.

I have never once read that the White Sox made an offer for
Ruth. I did know that that Frazee wanting money for Broadway
shows is a myth. That being said, I think what happened was
that White Sox GM Harry Grabiner called Harry Frazee and told
him that Joe Jackson was lazy.

LongDistanceFan
08-09-2002, 01:58 AM

One thing I'd like to go back and see if my memory is accurate is the play of Willie Mays in the All-Star Game. I seem to remember him batting leadoff at least in some of those games and just running wild on the basepaths. The thing is I don't really remember if that's a memory of one game or several.

The '50s were also great for the Hamm's Beer ads on Cubs and Sox broadcasts, and Harry Creighton getting plotzed drinking the product during commercials, especially during doubleheaders.

One thing I hated about the '50s, though, is one of the things I hate about the '90s, and that's the absolute dominance of the AL by the Yankees. As good as the Go-Go Sox were, they never could compete unless the Yankees underwent a total collapse like they did in '59.

something like 7 world series. but the same thing can be said with the yank in the 20-30.

voodoochile
08-09-2002, 02:08 AM
Originally posted by NUKE_CLEVELAND

I'd have to go with the 60's. Koufax, Seaver & Nolan Ryan as a rookie etc....etc..... Can't beat that.

That and the great Yankee teams from the 20's and 30's . Always wanted to see Ruth and Gehrig play live...

LongDistanceFan
08-09-2002, 02:11 AM
Originally posted by voodoochile

That and the great Yankee teams from the 20's and 30's . Always wanted to see Ruth and Gehrig play live...

in the 20's you have ty cobb nearing retirement, joe jackson, walter johnson. what an era.

MisterB
08-09-2002, 02:30 AM
Originally posted by DVG
I have never once read that the White Sox made an offer for
Ruth. I did know that that Frazee wanting money for Broadway
shows is a myth. That being said, I think what happened was
that White Sox GM Harry Grabiner called Harry Frazee and told
him that Joe Jackson was lazy.

ESPN's website had an article a couple of weeks ago about how the Yankees almost wound up playing in Boston (http://espn.go.com/mlb/s/2002/0718/1407265.html), and part of the article mentioned how the Ruth deal went down and the White Sox' involvement (which I hadn't heard about either).

Ol Aches & Pains
08-09-2002, 07:53 PM
1. 1941 - Ted Williams hits .406, going six for eight in a double header on the last day of the season, plus Dimaggio's 56 game hitting streak.

2. 1947 - I'd love to have seen Jackie Robinson break in and excel despite all the crap he had to put up with.

3. When I was a boy I actually did see quite a few Milwaukee Braves games from about 1960 to 1963. I'd like to go back to 1957 when they won the World Series, I was only 7 years old, and not yet aware of baseball.