PDA

View Full Version : What should the Sox do next?

Domeshot17
01-22-2014, 03:21 PM
Ok, We did not get Tanaka, what would you like to see the Sox do next?

I have 2 guys I like. One I admit is an idea stole from Jim Bowden. I normally dislike everything he writes, but recently he pointed out the Padres may want to unload Yasmani Grandal. That makes sense for 2 reasons, Grandal was in the Biogensis suspensions and they have a STUD prospect getting close to ready. He could possibly be the answer to the Sox problems behind the plate.

The other name I am curious about is Tommy Hanson. Hanson was an ACE in Atlanta before struggling with some injuries. He screams "Coop Can Fix Him". Would love him in the 4 spot. I would like Ubaldo Jimenez in the 4, but not for a 2nd round pick. Also, not a big Garza fan in our park.

russ99
01-22-2014, 03:26 PM

I have 2 guys I like. One I admit is an idea stole from Jim Bowden. I normally dislike everything he writes, but recently he pointed out the Padres may want to unload Yasmani Grandal. That makes sense for 2 reasons, Grandal was in the Biogensis suspensions and they have a STUD prospect getting close to ready. He could possibly be the answer to the Sox problems behind the plate.

The other name I am curious about is Tommy Hanson. Hanson was an ACE in Atlanta before struggling with some injuries. He screams "Coop Can Fix Him". Would love him in the 4 spot. I would like Ubaldo Jimenez in the 4, but not for a 2nd round pick. Also, not a big Garza fan in our park.

Grandal would be a nice acquisition, but IMO, Lobaton would cost a lot less.

But I agree that catcher should be our first priority.

asindc
01-22-2014, 03:28 PM
Get a catcher who can catch and not swing and miss more often than average.

ChiSoxNationPres
01-22-2014, 04:14 PM
I would love to swing a deal for Jason Castro from the Astros. I think they might be willing to part with him seeing as they are probably 5 years away from contending, maybe.

Noneck
01-22-2014, 04:52 PM
Get a innings eater (Bruce Chen) which the Sox sure will need this year. Draft well, put lots of money in scouting and the minor league system. Light some candles and cross all digits.

kittle42
01-22-2014, 05:15 PM
I would love to swing a deal for Jason Castro from the Astros. I think they might be willing to part with him seeing as they are probably 5 years away from contending, maybe.

Ah, HR or K - perfect!

A. Cavatica
01-22-2014, 05:21 PM
...the Padres may want to unload Yasmani Grandal. That makes sense for 2 reasons, Grandal was in the Biogensis suspensions...

Although citizenship has never deterred this ownership group from bringing in players, I think clubhouse chemistry does matter, and I don't want to see the Sox bringing in PED users.

cws05champ
01-22-2014, 05:27 PM
Ah, HR or K - perfect!

What? Castro K's a lot but also had an OBP of .350, 35 doubles and OPS of .835

And he's going into his age 27 season. Sounds pretty good from the C position to me

rdivaldi
01-22-2014, 08:38 PM

Yeah, Castro has actually posted decent K rates all through his career. He's not a home run or strikeout kind of hitter.

Brian26
01-22-2014, 08:39 PM

Get rid of DeAza.

Brian26
01-22-2014, 08:45 PM

The Astros have one of the top two or three farm systems in baseball right now. I think they're going to be competitive much quicker than that.

kittle42
01-22-2014, 09:16 PM

And he's going into his age 27 season. Sounds pretty good from the C position to me

D'oh! I was thinking of someone else.

ChiSoxNationPres
01-23-2014, 01:41 AM
The Astros have one of the top two or three farm systems in baseball right now. I think they're going to be competitive much quicker than that.

They very well could, but having a top farm system doesn't guarantee big league success. My point is that everyone on their team is expendable for the right price.

Stanley
01-23-2014, 02:07 AM
Beckham, De Aza, Alexei for Tanaka. :wink:

LoveYourSuit
01-23-2014, 10:12 AM
Hahn on the score this AM says they have a couple "targets" they look to land in the next weeks or months.

I wonder who could those be?

Also says Paulino if healthy is looked at as middle to top rotation guy. Interesting.

spawn
01-23-2014, 11:16 AM
Beckham, De Aza, Alexei for Tanaka. :wink:

Tanaka has a full no-trade clause. :wink:

kittle42
01-23-2014, 11:38 AM
Maybe they can snag Arroyo and watch his ERA finally balloon within the hitters' ballpark.

doublem23
01-23-2014, 12:02 PM
Maybe they can snag Arroyo and watch his ERA finally balloon within the hitters' ballpark.

Great American Ballpark is basically identical to U.S. Cellular Field by Park Factor:

http://espn.go.com/mlb/stats/parkfactor

kittle42
01-23-2014, 12:42 PM
Great American Ballpark is basically identical to U.S. Cellular Field by Park Factor:

http://espn.go.com/mlb/stats/parkfactor

I've been wrong a lot lately!

Chez
01-23-2014, 02:20 PM
I've been wrong a lot lately!

"Lately?" :D:

russ99
01-23-2014, 08:55 PM
They very well could, but having a top farm system doesn't guarantee big league success. My point is that everyone on their team is expendable for the right price.

Castro isn't a FA until 2017, so they're in no rush to dump him. The Astros added payroll this offseason and their first wave of good prospects are hitting the big league level over the next year, so IMO their previous plan of moving any good big leaguers for prospects is over for the time being.

I've heard talk that they may move Castro to 1B if his health issues pop up again to keep his bat in the lineup, and Stassi is at least a year away from factoring at catcher.

Given similar or improved numbers, I see them signing Castro to an Altuve-like deal at some point this year.

Besides, who do the Sox have that would entice the Astros into dumping him?

Tragg
01-23-2014, 11:24 PM
Absolutely do not trade for Castro. Same mistake we've been making. Take anything we have in the farm, any surplus at all, to add to a thin ML team. Castro's had one good year...smart of Astros to sell high, esp when they have a guy they like better. And we're still pitching thin.
Continue to shop De Aza.

Play Keppinger and hope he has a hot start, and then foist him on the Yankees or someone else. HOpe Dunn hits well..he's a prime July trade. Same with Alexei Take low minor players with promise for these guys..that's fine. We're still a bottom 1/3 farm. Thankfully, Hahn hasn't traded any prospects of note.

Give Beckham 1 more year. After 2014 season, we'll have a much better feel for how we stand with Semien, Beckham and Johnson....then one can be dealt for some quality.

kittle42
01-24-2014, 12:23 AM
Absolutely do not trade for Castro. Same mistake we've been making. Take anything we have in the farm, any surplus at all, to add to a thin ML team. Castro's had one good year...smart of Astros to sell high, esp when they have a guy they like better. And we're still pitching thin.
Continue to shop De Aza.

Play Keppinger and hope he has a hot start, and then foist him on the Yankees or someone else. HOpe Dunn hits well..he's a prime July trade. Same with Alexei Take low minor players with promise for these guys..that's fine. We're still a bottom 1/3 farm. Thankfully, Hahn hasn't traded any prospects of note.

Give Beckham 1 more year. After 2014 season, we'll have a much better feel for how we stand with Semien, Beckham and Johnson....then one can be dealt for some quality.

Good post.

RCWHITESOX
01-24-2014, 02:51 AM
The Sox should take a look at Ervin Santana, Andrew Bailey, Francisco Rodriguez, and maybe Scott Baker. Also continue to trade for a catcher and move DeAza.

mzh
01-24-2014, 08:31 AM
The Sox should take a look at Ervin Santana, Andrew Bailey, Francisco Rodriguez, and maybe Scott Baker. Also continue to trade for a catcher and move DeAza.
Santana is about to get mind-blowingly overpaid, most likely by Toronto. No thanks.

doublem23
01-24-2014, 09:16 AM
Santana is about to get mind-blowingly overpaid, most likely by Toronto. No thanks.

Yeah, Santana is the kind of deal you make when you think you're 1 more arm away from having something really great, not the kind of guy you sign when you're still rebuilding.

I'd go either way on Castro, really would depend on the price. I don't really see the argument to sit and hoard prospects, especially the ones the Sox have right now. We have no real blue-chip, game-changing prospects, we have a bunch of middle of the road guys who are, at best, a coin flip to even being average MLB players. Guys like Semien, Micah Johnson, Chris Beck, etc. Castro is a former Top 10 overall pick, Top 100 prospect who fills, by far, our biggest short-term and long-term need, so while I wouldn't give up the sky for him, the Sox have been pretty creative during the short Hahn Era at finding ways to make these things work.

Moses_Scurry
01-24-2014, 10:23 AM
Yeah, Santana is the kind of deal you make when you think you're 1 more arm away from having something really great, not the kind of guy you sign when you're still rebuilding.

I'd go either way on Castro, really would depend on the price. I don't really see the argument to sit and hoard prospects, especially the ones the Sox have right now. We have no real blue-chip, game-changing prospects, we have a bunch of middle of the road guys who are, at best, a coin flip to even being average MLB players. Guys like Semien, Micah Johnson, Chris Beck, etc. Castro is a former Top 10 overall pick, Top 100 prospect who fills, by far, our biggest short-term and long-term need, so while I wouldn't give up the sky for him, the Sox have been pretty creative during the short Hahn Era at finding ways to make these things work.

I'd rather sign Johann than Ervin. I'd assume he could be had on a cheap 1 year deal. See if he can prove himself and flip him at the deadline.

Tragg
01-24-2014, 11:02 AM

The prospects are at least currency. And any prospect that turns out average in the majors, is better than what we've been getting out of LF, 3B, 2B and catcher; and last year, the bullpen.
C is our most obvious hole, but the Sox also have a problem at 2B (we'll see on Beckham), SS soon enough and LF (waiting on Vic). We're hoping we have a long term answer at 3rd, but he's a prospect too. And after that, no depth at all. We have 2 rookie pitchers in the rotation. The bullpen still lacks quality at the bottom. Sox have a lot of work to do. We'll be in a much better position a year from now to say "we can plug one or two holes and win" than we are now.
Castro at the price of Davidson would be fine...but he'll be twice the price of Davidson.

shingo10
01-24-2014, 02:17 PM
The prospects are at least currency. And any prospect that turns out average in the majors, is better than what we've been getting out of LF, 3B, 2B and catcher; and last year, the bullpen.
C is our most obvious hole, but the Sox also have a problem at 2B (we'll see on Beckham), SS soon enough and LF (waiting on Vic). We're hoping we have a long term answer at 3rd, but he's a prospect too. And after that, no depth at all. We have 2 rookie pitchers in the rotation. The bullpen still lacks quality at the bottom. Sox have a lot of work to do. We'll be in a much better position a year from now to say "we can plug one or two holes and win" than we are now.
Castro at the price of Davidson would be fine...but he'll be twice the price of Davidson.

I agree on most of this except for the part about SS...Alexei is a solid shortstop who gives decent offensive output, has speed, and for most part can be an above average defender. Plus our first round pick was a SS too right?

Tragg
01-24-2014, 03:13 PM
Yea, he does a good job. But he is kind of expensive, getting up in age, and we were trying, or at least willing, to move him last summer.

doublem23
01-24-2014, 03:45 PM
I'd rather sign Johann than Ervin. I'd assume he could be had on a cheap 1 year deal. See if he can prove himself and flip him at the deadline.

Agreed

SOXSINCE'70
01-25-2014, 02:27 PM
Get a innings eater (Bruce Chen) which the Sox sure will need this year.

Not a bad idea. If you can't beat 'em (and the Sox could barely touch him in KC),may as well have him join us.:shrug:

TheVulture
01-26-2014, 03:06 PM
Play Keppinger and hope he has a hot start, and then foist him on the Yankees or someone else.

Rrrrigggghhhht. And then let's dump Dunn on the Braves. And then let's buy some lottery tickets and never work again.

Tragg
01-26-2014, 03:51 PM
Rrrrigggghhhht. And then let's dump Dunn on the Braves. And then let's buy some lottery tickets and never work again.
I think it's better than 50/50 that someone takes Dunn off of our hands in July. Keppinger may be more difficult, but he can play multiple positions.

HarryChappas
01-26-2014, 06:19 PM
Trade the tank (and more) for Brett Gardner. Sign Homer Bailey next off season and win division for next four years. Need catcher though.

Mohoney
01-26-2014, 07:24 PM
I think it's better than 50/50 that someone takes Dunn off of our hands in July. Keppinger may be more difficult, but he can play multiple positions.

The only problem is that, unless cash for 2015 goes with him in a midseason deal, Keppinger might have to play all season and be dealt next offseason in order for your plan to work. Personally, I'm in favor of leaving Matt Davidson in the minors until the day arrives in July when he can't possibly accrue 86 days of service time this year, preventing him from reaching Super Two status. If Rick Hahn ends up doing this, it buys Keppinger a lot of opportunities to start at 3B for your plan to come to fruition, and some spot starts at 2B could probably be sprinkled in as well if Gordon Beckham is still bad.

Stanley
01-27-2014, 12:21 AM

Just curious where you get those odds with opening day about two months away.

russ99
01-27-2014, 09:53 AM
Trade the tank (and more) for Brett Gardner.

Yankees used to be my primo trade destination for Tank, but not after their spending this winter.

They have too many good players that he'd need to take playing time from.

I'm eyeballing their top catcher and OF prospects (Sanchez and Williams) much more than Gardner.

Tragg
01-27-2014, 01:59 PM
Just curious where you get those odds with opening day about two months away.

My opinion. Not sure what additional clarity there will be 2 months from now. Dunn will play a lot at DH, he'll hit his 30, he'll walk a lot and whiff a lot, this is the last year of his contract, so he's movable. At least 50/50 for Dunn.

Keppinger is less likely and opening day will bring more clarity. For one thing, he may hit like did last year, which is completely useless for any team, including ours. He also has another year on his contract.