PDA

View Full Version : Players will start being tested next year

Jerry_Manuel
08-07-2002, 07:10 PM
Baseball players ended decades of opposition to mandatory drug testing Wednesday by agreeing to be checked for illegal steroids starting next year.

Under the proposal, which addresses one of the key issues in contract talks, players would be subjected to one or more unannounced tests in 2003 to determine the level of steroid use. If the survey showed "insignificant'' use, a second round of tests would be set up in 2004 to verify the results.

http://msn.espn.go.com/mlb/news/2002/0807/1415349.html

Chisox_cali
08-07-2002, 07:12 PM
Don't know if this has been posted yet. Roids (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news/ap/20020807/ap-labor-steroids.html)

:nandrolone
"Uh-Oh"

Iguana775
08-07-2002, 07:12 PM
well, that is good news. they seem to be making progress on the CBA.

LongDistanceFan
08-07-2002, 09:26 PM
i wonder whose statical production will fall like a ton of bricks. :gulp:

cheeses_h_rice
08-07-2002, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by LongDistanceFan
i wonder whose statical production will fall like a ton of bricks. :gulp:

It already is falling. Notice that A-Rod and Thome are equal to or higher than Mr. Nandralone's HR numbers. He's fallen way off ever since the Rick Reilly story broke.

I think the timing is decidedly un-coincidental.

LongDistanceFan
08-07-2002, 10:52 PM
and the poor little baby is going to make allllll sort of excuses.. but lets not forget, it was all our fault that the ivy died.

:nandrolone

cheeses_h_rice
08-07-2002, 11:03 PM
I still smile when I recall that photo of the dead ivy.

That was funny.

CuckTheFubs
08-07-2002, 11:11 PM
This should be very interesting. Let's see what happens to SamMe's stats now. If the HR's drop off the table, watch how the SamMe Apology Army tries to spin that.

kingkirk04
08-07-2002, 11:40 PM
Yep, as a Cub fan, I honestly think Sammy was on 'roids. But its not like he was alone in doing it.

I am really shocked that the Players Union agreed to be tested. They seemed to think that Drug Testing was against their Constitutional right to privacy. But other "businesses" can test their employees for drugs, so why hasnt the MLB done it?

When a past commissioner tried to rid baseball of chewing tobacco, that failed when the players said they had the right to use their body however they felt, or something among those lines.

I think this is a step for players to start accepting responsibility for what they do. This also shows they are starting to think of themselves as employees, and not that they are doing everyone a favor by playing baseball everyday.

Great move.

LongDistanceFan
08-07-2002, 11:46 PM
Originally posted by CuckTheFubs
This should be very interesting. Let's see what happens to SamMe's stats now. If the HR's drop off the table, watch how the SamMe Apology Army tries to spin that.

don't you remember, its all our fault.

DrCrawdad
08-07-2002, 11:52 PM
Originally posted by kingkirk04
Yep, as a Cub fan, I honestly think Sammy was on 'roids. But its not like he was alone in doing it.

I wouldn't be shocked if it turned out that Sosa's used steroids, but I'm not convinced that he has.

In Sosa's favor you could point to the fact that he's rarely been injured. That doesn't fit the usual profile of a steroid user, from what I've been told.

King, I agree with you - I'm glad to hear that the players have agreed to testing. I wonder though if there is teeth' in the testing. Or is it just to placate fans and dampen the talk of steroid use in baseball?

Randar68
08-07-2002, 11:52 PM
The testing scheme is a farce. If they come up generally clean during a long pre-determined perior, it's more than a year and a half before they will test again. If clean, testing will end. This i window dressing to appease the media and public. It will do nothing to stop the proliferation long-term

MarkEdward
08-07-2002, 11:53 PM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice

It already is falling. Notice that A-Rod and Thome are equal to or higher than Mr. Nandralone's HR numbers. He's fallen way off ever since the Rick Reilly story broke.

I think the timing is decidedly un-coincidental.

Or maybe the reason is that Bonds only gets one AB a game, the rest he gets pitched around or walked. No, couldn't be that. Must be the 'roids.

Randar68
08-07-2002, 11:54 PM
Originally posted by DrCrawdad

I wouldn't be shocked if it turned out that Sosa's used steroids, but I'm not convinced that he has.

In Sosa's favor you could point to the fact that he's rarely been injured. That doesn't fit the usual profile of a steroid user, from what I've been told.

King, I agree with you - I'm glad to hear that the players have agreed to testing. I wonder though if there is teeth' in the testing. Or is it just to placate fans and dampen the talk of steroid use in baseball?

On the OTHER hand, he lost 20,000 bucks he had in a bag in a hotel in the Dominican. In addition, one of his best friends, Manny Alexander, was caught buying Roids. Add to this, he has slowed down 10-fold since the Roids stuff went through the roof and he went from skinny to bloated in 1 offseason of only 4 months or so.

TornLabrum
08-07-2002, 11:56 PM
Originally posted by DrCrawdad

True. The rum bottle thing happened when he was still a toothpick.

:shammy

"Drug test? Drug test? I don' need no drug test! I don' need to chow you no steenking drug test!"

LongDistanceFan
08-07-2002, 11:56 PM
Originally posted by Randar68
The testing scheme is a farce. If they come up generally clean during a long pre-determined perior, it's more than a year and a half before they will test again. If clean, testing will end. This i window dressing to appease the media and public. It will do nothing to stop the proliferation long-term

good point, but let see if they do the testing done during the season as well. btw does anyone know how long and traces of roids stays in the blood system?

Jerry_Manuel
08-08-2002, 12:03 AM
Originally posted by MarkEdward
Or maybe the reason is that Bonds only gets one AB a game, the rest he gets pitched around or walked. No, couldn't be that. Must be the 'roids.

Nobody mentioned Bonds.

Mr. Nandralone is Sammy Sosa.

MarkEdward
08-08-2002, 12:22 AM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel

Nobody mentioned Bonds.

Mr. Nandralone is Sammy Sosa.

Whoops, my fault. Carry on with the Sosa-bashing then.

LongDistanceFan
08-08-2002, 12:25 AM
Originally posted by MarkEdward

Whoops, my fault. Carry on with the Sosa-bashing then.

which is the greater fun, bashing sHamme, royce or a sCrub fan?

chisoxfanatic
08-08-2002, 01:43 AM
How long must roids be out of one's system before it doesn't show up in the tests?

Heather the Redbird

kevingrt
08-08-2002, 08:53 AM
I'm confused, I thought steriods were illegal. So if these players got tested and have illegal in there body, wouldn't hte police have to take some lawful action? Just wondering if any of you know??

And by the way Royce "The Choice" should be tested, you see that broken bat single, and sheer power, muscling the ball out of the infield...

Paulwny
08-08-2002, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by LongDistanceFan

btw does anyone know how long and traces of roids stays in the blood system?

Found this:

There is no simple answer as to how long drugs will remain in your system, since the answer is influenced by the specific drug halflife, intensity of the usage, method of usage, length of usage, tolerance, fluid intake, body size, body fat, metabolism and (most important) the specific range which the drug testing lab uses to signify a "positive" for drug use. But the following table provides some general guidelines for the amount of time a drug can be detected by most standard drug tests: Drug Detection Time
Alcohol 6-24 hours
Amphetamines 2-3 days
Barbituates 1 day to 3 weeks
Benzodiazepines 3-7 days
Cocaine 2-5 days
Codeine 3-5 days
Euphorics (MDMA, Ecstasy) 1-3 days
LSD 1-4 days
Marijuana (THC) 7-30 days
Methadone 3-5 days
Methaqualone 14 days
Opiates 1-4 days
Phencyclidine (PCP) 2-4 days
Steroids (anabolic) 14-30 days

Keep in mind that detection time listed above does not mean that the drug is fully expelled from your body within that amount of time--just that it has dissipated enough that it can no longer be accurately detected--or at least is not high enough to register a "positive" on a drug test. Most drugs are treated by the body as toxins which take time to eliminate. Rather than allow the toxins to potentially affect vital organs, they are often stored in fat cells, making them typically difficult to release or detoxify from the body.

Paulwny
08-08-2002, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by kevingrt
I'm confused, I thought steriods were illegal. So if these players got tested and have illegal in there body, wouldn't hte police have to take some lawful action? Just wondering if any of you know??

I believe the tests will be random and confidential and authorities will not be notified if someone tests positive.
Workers in the normal work place are not arrested if they fail a drug test.

ScottyTheSoxFan
08-08-2002, 09:45 AM
:canseco
"HAHAHA, look what i have done now!! Hi Sammy, Barry, why so angry, and what are you doing in my house with those baseball bats?"

LongDistanceFan
08-08-2002, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by Paulwny

Found this:

There is no simple answer as to how long drugs will remain in your system, since the answer is influenced by the specific drug halflife, intensity of the usage, method of usage, length of usage, tolerance, fluid intake, body size, body fat, metabolism and (most important) the specific range which the drug testing lab uses to signify a "positive" for drug use. But the following table provides some general guidelines for the amount of time a drug can be detected by most standard drug tests: Drug Detection Time
Alcohol 6-24 hours
Amphetamines 2-3 days
Barbituates 1 day to 3 weeks
Benzodiazepines 3-7 days
Cocaine 2-5 days
Codeine 3-5 days
Euphorics (MDMA, Ecstasy) 1-3 days
LSD 1-4 days
Marijuana (THC) 7-30 days
Methadone 3-5 days
Methaqualone 14 days
Opiates 1-4 days
Phencyclidine (PCP) 2-4 days
Steroids (anabolic) 14-30 days

Keep in mind that detection time listed above does not mean that the drug is fully expelled from your body within that amount of time--just that it has dissipated enough that it can no longer be accurately detected--or at least is not high enough to register a "positive" on a drug test. Most drugs are treated by the body as toxins which take time to eliminate. Rather than allow the toxins to potentially affect vital organs, they are often stored in fat cells, making them typically difficult to release or detoxify from the body.

hey thanks, but i remember reading where some people were tested and found to have traces of it in the body, some 6 months after or so. i guess as you said it doesn't leave the body in an exact time. i wonder if body size or the amount you take or for any length of time has anything to do with it.

rmusacch
08-08-2002, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by Iguana775
well, that is good news. they seem to be making progress on the CBA.

Apparently, this is just the player union's proposal. It has not been accepted yet by the owners. The owners want more expansive testing.

LongDistanceFan
08-08-2002, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by rmusacch

Apparently, this is just the player union's proposal. It has not been accepted yet by the owners. The owners want more expansive testing.

then to me, it sounds as it is going to be a one time test.

Zednem700
08-08-2002, 01:40 PM
This isn't too surprising, the PR value of accepting testing was high. The players knew they had to give in to some sort of testing once all the publicity hit. It also isn't a big deal as far as the contract negotiations go. This was never going to be a sticking point for either side.

Of course now that there is almost certainly going to be testing it remains to be seen if it will have any sort of impact on players using performance enhancers. I mean the NFL has the most extensive testing system of the major sports, and if you think all those massive guys with ridiculously low 40 times are doing it without illegal help then I don't see how you can think any baseball player is using. Masking is pretty good right now, and as I mentioned in another post, we are only a few years away from essentially indectable performance enhancing through the use of synthetic gene implanting.

One other fun fact comes from a paper that I unfortunately can't currently find anywhere. It basically said that not only do you get an immediate boost from steroids, but it appears that some of the boost is permanent. Basically if your natural muscle potential was x, steroids could boost it up to lets say x+2. Well after stopping steroids, you don't drop back down to x, instead you might drop down to x+1. You aren't using steroids now, but you are able to get bigger than you ever would have had you never used steroids in the past. Leads to all sorts of interesting pragmatic and ethical questions that I doubt anyone really cares to give much thought to.