PDA

View Full Version : Watch out Whitesoxinteractive

kingkirk04
08-07-2002, 02:38 PM
Hey, I'm not sure if this has been brought up yet, but MLB has started shutting down independent fansites.

They've already done so with metsonline.net and recently gave a cease and desist order to bronx-bombers.com.

Great way to get fan appreciation, Bud Selig!

ma-gaga
08-07-2002, 05:00 PM
it's been discussed a little... (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=12717&highlight=Astros)

NUKE_CLEVELAND
08-07-2002, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by kingkirk04
Hey, I'm not sure if this has been brought up yet, but MLB has started shutting down independent fansites.

They've already done so with metsonline.net and recently gave a cease and desist order to bronx-bombers.com.

God forbid the fans discuss baseball & generate more interest for the game.

**** YOU SELIG!! :angry:

WinningUgly!
08-07-2002, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by kingkirk04

Taint gonna happen!

RedPinStripes
08-07-2002, 06:37 PM
I'd be willing to bet they'd want to rip Sox-and-roll.com down before WSI. We don't have copyrights and really pushing it for what we say on air. God forbid if fans like a site that bud's lapdogs don't control. :angry:

Chisox_cali
08-07-2002, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes
I'd be willing to bet they'd want to rip Sox-and-roll.com down before WSI. We don't have copyrights and really pushing it for what we say on air. God forbid if fans like a site that bud's lapdogs don't control. :angry:

Man that would suck sooooo bad! :whiner:

sideshowapu
08-07-2002, 07:55 PM
I know I might get yelled at for swearing, but please for the love of all that is holy.....**** BUD SELIG! :angry:

Geez, God forbid some fans actually wanting to get together and support their teams and talk baseball amongst other things. But I guess Mr. Selig isn't seeing money from that, so he wants to be a greedy pain in the who who dilly. Damn you Selig, Damn You to the Foulest Pits of Hell where you'll be....(many various expletives and lewd sexual acts that would have followed this statement have been voluntarily deleted so I do not get yelled at by FarWest or the other MODs...if you know me I am more than sure that you can use your imagination to fill in the blanks. haha) :D:

If Bud and his crew do go after Sox and Roll and stuff, he'll be hearing constantly from one VERY pissed off Sox fan.

NUKE_CLEVELAND
08-07-2002, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by sideshowapu
I know I might get yelled at for swearing, but please for the love of all that is holy.....**** BUD SELIG! :angry:

Geez, God forbid some fans actually wanting to get together and support their teams and talk baseball amongst other things. But I guess Mr. Selig isn't seeing money from that, so he wants to be a greedy pain in the who who dilly. Damn you Selig, Damn You to the Foulest Pits of Hell where you'll be....(many various expletives and lewd sexual acts that would have followed this statement have been voluntarily deleted so I do not get yelled at by FarWest or the other MODs...if you know me I am more than sure that you can use your imagination to fill in the blanks. haha) :D:

If Bud and his crew do go after Sox and Roll and stuff, he'll be hearing constantly from one VERY pissed off Sox fan.

MAKE THAT 2

kevingrt
08-07-2002, 08:28 PM
Instead of them shutting us down why don't we sue them for something, we could find out something if they would try to shut us down.

And do you notice that both of them are New York sites?

WinningUgly!
08-07-2002, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by kevingrt
Instead of them shutting us down why don't we sue them for something, we could find out something if they would try to shut us down.

And do you notice that both of them are New York sites?

They also shut down an Astros site. :o:

RedPinStripes
08-07-2002, 09:39 PM
:tool
Freedom of speech my ass!

sideshowapu
08-07-2002, 09:46 PM
Freedom of speech my ass!

Hahahaha, Go RPS! I guess Mr. Selig never decided to sit down and read the Constitution, seems he was too busy shutting down fan sites and figuring new and ingenious ways to screw the fans...or maybe he was eating all the hot dogs in Florida (that might explain why there are none after the 3rd inning. hehe.)

Daver
08-07-2002, 09:50 PM

Hahahaha, Go RPS! I guess Mr. Selig never decided to sit down and read the Constitution, seems he was too busy shutting down fan sites and figuring new and ingenious ways to screw the fans...or maybe he was eating all the hot dogs in Florida (that might explain why there are none after the 3rd inning. hehe.)

I would suggest you listen to the disclaimer at the end of each game or read the charter as far as broadcast rights go........

baggio202
08-07-2002, 09:52 PM

if selig actually pushed shutting down one of these sites and the owners fought back i bet you could get some pretty good lawyers to take on mlb pro bono....it would be a feather in any lawyers cap if they beat selig and mlb....the reason these sites shut down is because the owners didnt want to fight mlb...no one has gone to court yet so it hasnt been determined if mlb has the right to shut down independant sites...

RedPinStripes
08-07-2002, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by daver

I would suggest you listen to the disclaimer at the end of each game or read the charter as far as broadcast rights go........

:sopranos
some things are not meant to be talked about.

Daver
08-07-2002, 09:56 PM

some things are not meant to be talked about.

Those guys got nothing on me,sheer firepower beats strength in numbers...............

RedPinStripes
08-07-2002, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by daver

Those guys got nothing on me,sheer firepower beats strength in numbers...............
We like fire power. And if you like fish, we can arrange that too. :D:

TornLabrum
08-07-2002, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by WinningUgly!

They also shut down an Astros site. :o:

The Astros site is back up and running. The club intervened on behalf of the owners. Not sure if the owners made any concessions to MLBP, though. I've suggested to PHG that he put the disclaimer that is at the bottom of the home page here more prominantly towards the top in big bold letters. Seems that MLBP thinks people are confusing these fan sites with team owned and operated sites...or at least what the letters to both the Astros and Mets sites said.

"You don't understand. These fan sites are costing us millions in revenue because the fans think they belong to MLB. And 28 clubs are losing money. And the dog ate my homework that time in high school."

RedPinStripes
08-07-2002, 10:28 PM
If Bud's MLB sites ddin't suck so much, places like WSI might not be around. I'm all for independant sites! piss off bud!

Saracen
08-07-2002, 11:11 PM
I think Selig has a problem with the names of the sites, not the content - not saying I agree with him, but his point is trademark infringement.

If, for example, bronxbombers.com was switched to bronxbomberfans.com, it would probably be alright.

Spiff
08-07-2002, 11:50 PM
this may sound unpopular (god forbid) but i doubt selig has anything to do with it

TornLabrum
08-07-2002, 11:52 PM
Originally posted by Saracen
I think Selig has a problem with the names of the sites, not the content - not saying I agree with him, but his point is trademark infringement.

If, for example, bronxbombers.com was switched to bronxbomberfans.com, it would probably be alright.

MLBP also seems to have a problem with trademarks on uniforms etc. being shown. Time to blur them. The hilarious thing about the Mets fan site is that they were accused of "squatting" by using the Mets name as part of their URL in violation of Federal law. As far as I know, the intent was to prevent people from registering the domain for the purpose of collecting money from the people who are most likely to want to register the domain without doing anything to develop a site with that URL.

The Mets site was actually on line a couple of years before the Mets. So that charge was utter nonsense.

Unfortunately, I think it's just a matter of time before MLBP's lawyers try to come down on PHG. One thing is for sure. With the attitude of this site about the Sox, they're going to have a lot of difficulty saying that people will be confused that this site is endorsed by the Sox!

"You will cease and desist from confusing people like me."

LongDistanceFan
08-07-2002, 11:53 PM
i think the MLB is shooting themselves in the foot by doing this, but is to prevent them going after this site?

MarkEdward
08-08-2002, 12:14 AM

Actually, I believe it's the opposite. MLB is arguing that it's illegal to use the team logos on these fan-run sites, which some sites are using without consent from the team. WSI doesn't use the Sox logo, except for the tags. I would urge PHG to place a "Not Official Site of the White Sox" on the front page.

It's very bad PR by MLB, but they are right in some cases.

LongDistanceFan
08-08-2002, 12:19 AM
i think phg knows how much we want this board to stay and grow, but all these closing is a little unnerving.

Iwritecode
08-08-2002, 12:21 AM
Originally posted by TornLabrum
One thing is for sure. With the attitude of this site about the Sox, they're going to have a lot of difficulty saying that people will be confused that this site is endorsed by the Sox!

I could just imagine them reading this site:

"Geez, are these guys really Sox fans? How can they spend months arguing whether Royce Clayton is better than Jose Valentin? And who is this choice guy? LTP? tool? Lenny? This can't be a Sox site. That Iwritecode guy sure is a moron though..."

:)

LongDistanceFan
08-08-2002, 12:23 AM
Originally posted by Iwritecode

I could just imagine them reading this site:

"Geez, are these guys really Sox fans? How can they spend months arguing whether Royce Clayton is better than Jose Valentin? And who is this choice guy? LTP? tool? Lenny? This can't be a Sox site. That Iwritecode guy sure is a moron though..."

but great graphics :)

Jerry_Manuel
08-08-2002, 12:23 AM
Originally posted by TornLabrum
The hilarious thing about the Mets fan site is that they were accused of "squatting" by using the Mets name as part of their URL in violation of Federal law.

One thing is for sure. With the attitude of this site about the Sox, they're going to have a lot of difficulty saying that people will be confused that this site is endorsed by the Sox!

If the url of WSI had to change, what would you rename it?

www.reinsdorfsucks.com
www.firstclassorganization.com
www.fansfault.com

Jjav829
08-08-2002, 01:08 AM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel

If the url of WSI had to change, what would you rename it?

www.reinsdorfsucks.com
www.firstclassorganization.com
www.fansfault.com

What? How have these URL's not been used already? :smile:

SI1020
08-08-2002, 08:30 AM

If, for example, bronxbombers.com was switched to bronxbomberfans.com, it would probably be alright. I think you are absolutely right. The problem here is copyright law. The young man who ran the mets site is trying to get it back up and according to at least one report the mets mgmt is trying to help. Apparently the mets site was popular and the team does not want to take a pr hit. Copyright law put both of these board sites in the soup. I assume WSI has no issues with this and is therefore not in danger.

34 Inch Stick
08-08-2002, 08:52 AM
Let them take you to court. As part of your discovery, ask for the finances of all major league teams. If this site can be the entity that "opens the books" it will become nationally recognized.

TornLabrum
08-08-2002, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by SI1020
I think you are absolutely right. The problem here is copyright law. The young man who ran the mets site is trying to get it back up and according to at least one report the mets mgmt is trying to help. Apparently the mets site was popular and the team does not want to take a pr hit. Copyright law put both of these board sites in the soup. I assume WSI has no issues with this and is therefore not in danger.

The Astros actually did intervene on behalf of that fan site. The last I saw (yesterday) the owner of the Mets site had decided not to put up with the hassle and was going to close it down. He'd gotten a column for foxsports.com, though so that was some consolation, I guess. No word on whether he gave up the domain name, though.

:andy

"Bud Selig flunked my course at Klown Kollege."

Dadawg_77
08-08-2002, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by 34 Inch Stick
Let them take you to court. As part of your discovery, ask for the finances of all major league teams. If this site can be the entity that "opens the books" it will become nationally recognized.

Won't happen since the books of the teams are not relevant to a copyright case, I don't see how they could be obtained in the discovery process.

Basically what is happening is MLB hired a law firm to search the net and find and shut down sites which infringe on MLB lawful copyrights. The way the copyright system is structured, a copyright or trademark holder needs to defend their rights or they risk losing them, look at companies like Xerox or Kleenex.

The pics that WSI uses are from the AP correct? Is so, they would hold the copyright on them, not sure if Baseball could take action for using those and if it hold any copyright or trademark rights on them.