PDA

View Full Version : Flub Fan Paradox

RKMeibalane
08-07-2002, 03:02 PM
White Sox fans hate the Cubs. Cubs fans hate the White Sox. There is one important difference, however, between the two groups. Cubs fans have nothing but disdain for the Southsiders, yet they can't seem to go for long periods of time without thinking about the White Sox.

Case and point: I roomed with a Cubs fan my freshman year in college. He never hesitated to tell me how much he hated the White Sox. He even went so far as to say that he became sick to his stomach when he thought about them. But once baseball season started, he couldn't wait to see what the Sox were doing. If they had a game one evening, the first thing he did when checking the scores at ESPN was see if the Sox won or lost. As Arsenio Hall may say, hmmm...

I have considered my roomate's behavior and developed the following hypotheses:

1. Cubs fans know their team sucks, but they refuse to admit this. They are paranoid and insecure, so they wait for the Sox to make a mistake because it gives them something to smile about.

2. Cubs fans hate the Sox more than they like their own team. This is possible, because I can't think of anything to like about the Cubs.

3. There are no real Cubs fans. The "bleacher bums" at Wrigley are just drunken and misguided baseball fans who have been reeled in by Cubbie Kool-Aid at Urinal Field.

delben91
08-07-2002, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
3. There are no real Cubs fans. The "bleacher bums" at Wrigley are just drunken and misguided baseball fans who have been reeled in by Cubbie Kool-Aid at Urinal Field.

Now that one should be law, not hypothesis. :gulp:

kingkirk04
08-07-2002, 03:35 PM
Hello, I am Cubs fan that came here to talk baseball, and not to troll.

I will be the first to tell you that I care more about the Cubs winning than I do the Sox losing. I could care less about the Sox, and that is true for most of the (intelligent) Cubs fans that I talk to.

Your theory is not true for the majority of Cubs fans. Sure, we it makes us feel a little better when the Sox lose, but I will say that nearly every Cubs fan would rather have a winning season than the Sox have a losing season.

(when this winning season will come, I have no idea)

delben91
08-07-2002, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by kingkirk04

I will be the first to tell you that I care more about the Cubs winning than I do the Sox losing. I could care less about the Sox, and that is true for most of the (intelligent) Cubs fans that I talk to.

Your theory is not true for the majority of Cubs fans. Sure, we it makes us feel a little better when the Sox lose, but I will say that nearly every Cubs fan would rather have a winning season than the Sox have a losing season.

(when this winning season will come, I have no idea)

Well, welcome aboard. As you can imagine, the cubs fans we often see on this board are not of the "intelligent, wish to talk baseball variety" and are quickly taken out by a well place arrow from one of the moderators, daver. Perhaps our theories of cubs fans are wrong, but take into account the pool of said fans we've had to draw from in the past.

Again, welcome. :gulp:

kingkirk04
08-07-2002, 03:46 PM
Yeah, I would imagine you get a lot of douchebags here. I'm not too well liked among regular Cubs fans, because I am a realist. Like, I know we are out of the playoff race. But in a Cubbie world they call that "pessimism"

RKMeibalane
08-07-2002, 03:50 PM
It's good to see that there is at least one Cubs fan who has a brain. Welcome to WSI!

delben91
08-07-2002, 03:53 PM
It's good to see that there is at least one Cubs fan who has a brain. Welcome to WSI!

Well, he would make two, we've already got Vic.

Cheryl
08-07-2002, 04:43 PM
I don't hate the Cubs. I dont care about the Cubs at all. OTOH, I can't stand most of the people who go to Cub games, as they don't care (from what I can tell, anyway) if there's even a ballgame going on in front of them. I really hate what the owners have done to that ballclub and to that ballpark over the years. I don't mean just TribCo, though it is the worst offender. The whole Wrigley Field Experience has been marketed as such since the Wrigley family bought the club and the ballpark. The Trib has carried it to an extreme by not even bothering to pretend to try to field a winner, and by letting the ballpark get into the condition it's in now. And then wanting to 'improve' the ballpark with additional seats. If they were serious about that place, they'd get a structural engineer in there to look it over, and if there aren't serious problems with it, pick a year and restore Wrigely to what it looked like that year. 1932, for example. Maybe not take it completely back (okay you can have your frigging lights), but at least quit pretending it looks anything like it did when it was a great place to see a game.

End of Cub rant. Welcome aboard, kingkirk.

CuckTheFubs
08-07-2002, 05:47 PM

ďI could care less about the Sox...Ē I guess it makes sense then that youíve signed up and posted on a White Sox fan site. At least you chose the right subject thread for your post - Cub fan paradox.

Where is this mythical Cubbie fan that doesnít care about the Sox? Iíd like to actually meet this mythical person. So many Cubbie fans that I know have said that they donít care (a definition of care is to be interested) about the Sox, but in fact they do care in that they follow what the Sox do and are eager to criticize the Sox. That makes sense because amongst Cubbie fans only Cublove pabulum is tolerated.

On the SCOREís morning program hosted by Boers & Bernstein they often get callers who ridicule all things White Sox, the team, the fans, Comiskey Park, etc. What Iíve noted is that that these callers are often Cubbie fans. A prime example is Boers & Bernstein regular caller by the name of ďPaulĒ. Paul regularly calls with Cublove pabulum and then often includes his brainstem gems on the White Sox.

One of the many things I love about many Sox fans is the refreshing honesty and candor. Many of us donít say that we donít care or ignore the Cubbies. We are honest and actively hope that the Cubbies lose 162 games a year.

Iím reminded of a tune I heard my nephew singing about being Southside Irish, ďWeíre the Southside Irish...And itís Go-Go White Sox and whoever plays the Cubs.Ē

Hello, I am Cubs fan that came here to talk baseball, and not to troll...I could care less about the Sox, and that is true for most of the (intelligent) Cubs fans that I talk to.
:whoflungpoo

:woo-woo
"I don't care about the White Sox either. That's why I attended Soxfest."

:thankgod

LongDistanceFan
08-07-2002, 06:50 PM
I could care less about the Sox, and that is true for most of the (intelligent) Cubs fans that I talk to.

man your answer is right there. you don't need to be a belligerent to be a troll. if you don't care much about the sox, then why are you here?

vic is a great poster and have joke about the freaking sCrubs.

:troll

Dadawg_77
08-07-2002, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by LongDistanceFan

man your answer is right there. you don't need to be a belligerent to be a troll. if you don't care much about the sox, then why are you here?

vic is a great poster and have joke about the freaking sCrubs.

:troll

Calm down LDF, he came in peace to talk baseball. While at least from what I have seen so far.

But the thing is, Sox fans with Sox fan and cubs fans with cubs fans, tend not to care what the other team is doing, it the mix that produces some strange reactions. Did you and your Cubs fan roommate lived together in 2000 or 2001? Just guessing from your birth year. But the Sox were contending that year while his team sucked. So he couldn't hold out and say his team was better because it wasn't and since the Sox were contending you were probably more into baseball that year. Thus your roommate lacking any joy from his team, could take joy in the theory that the cross town rivals would blow the division. Thats probably why he cared about what the Sox did.

LongDistanceFan
08-07-2002, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77

Calm down LDF, he came in peace to talk baseball. While at least from what I have seen so far.

i don't need to be told and to read that he could care less about the team esp when he is visiting. it is a troll like statement. IMO

CuckTheFubs
08-07-2002, 07:24 PM

kingkirk04, the Cubbie fan, says that he came to talk baseball. If that is what kingkirk04 wants to do then fine.

In spite of my WSI User Name, I don't dislike someone because they're a Cubbie fan. It's when they start spewing the same old Cubbie garbage that they'll have a fight with me. kingkirk04 included in his comments the usual poo that I've heard from Cubbie fans.

It is a paradox or inconsistency that kingkirk04 says he doesn't care about the Sox and then posts on a Sox board.

Try that in reverse. Go to a Cubbie fan site and say that you're a Sox fan but that you don't care about the Cubbies. See what kind of response that brings.

"Hello, I am Cubs fan that came here to talk baseball, and not to troll...I could care less about the Sox, and that is true for most of the (intelligent) Cubs fans that I talk to."

I'm calling this what it is...

RKMeibalane
08-07-2002, 07:27 PM
Did you and your Cubs fan roommate lived together in 2000 or 2001? Just guessing from your birth year. But the Sox were contending that year while his team sucked. So he couldn't hold out and say his team was better because it wasn't and since the Sox were contending you were probably more into baseball that year. Thus your roommate lacking any joy from his team, could take joy in the theory that the cross town rivals would blow the division. Thats probably why he cared about what the Sox did.

Were you talking to me? If so, my roomate and I lived together during the 2001-02 school year at Butler University. We argued about several topics. First and foremost, my roomate wasted no time making fun of Frank Thomas because he missed most of last season with the torn tricep. Second, if the Sox were winning big, he would sarcastically blurt out, "Look how packed Comiskey is."

I think his behavior was the result of frustration he was feeling towards the end of last season. The Cubs were choking, and it was obvious they weren't going to make the playoffs.

LongDistanceFan
08-07-2002, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by CuckTheFubs

kingkirk04, the Cubbie fan, says that he came to talk baseball. If that is what kingkirk04 wants to do then fine.

In spite of my WSI User Name, I don't dislike someone because they're a Cubbie fan. It's when they start spewing the same old Cubbie garbage that they'll have a fight with me. kingkirk04 included in his comments the usual poo that I've heard from Cubbie fans.

It is a paradox or inconsistency that kingkirk04 says he doesn't care about the Sox and then posts on a Sox board.

Try that in reverse. Go to a Cubbie fan site and say that you're a Sox fan but that you don't care about the Cubbies. See what kind of response that brings.

"Hello, I am Cubs fan that came here to talk baseball, and not to troll...I could care less about the Sox, and that is true for most of the (intelligent) Cubs fans that I talk to."

I'm calling this what it is...

what gets me is the intelligent statement, as he was saying that only intelligent people dislike the sox.

kingkirk04
08-07-2002, 09:45 PM
Hmm.. the mood im getting from most of you is that anyone that isn't a Sox fan is a troll.

What I was trying to say is that most intelligent Cubs fans, do not care about the Sox, as I don't. We don't cheer for them to lose, much less follow their losing more than the Cubs occasional winning.

I realize that this is a Sox forum, but is it not a baseball forum? Never once did I bash your team, nor do I intend to.

Daver
08-07-2002, 09:59 PM
Hmm.. the mood im getting from most of you is that anyone that isn't a Sox fan is a troll.

What I was trying to say is that most intelligent Cubs fans, do not care about the Sox, as I don't. We don't cheer for them to lose, much less follow their losing more than the Cubs occasional winning.

I realize that this is a Sox forum, but is it not a baseball forum? Never once did I bash your team, nor do I intend to.

As one of the powers that be,so to speak,I say welcome aboard.

I have no problem with fans of other teams posting here,and as far as I know that opinion is shared by the other admins here,we do not tolerate trolls,but we do appreciate baseball discussion.We have a Twins fan that posts here,as well as an Indians fan( though Outcast Ain't been around lately) and another Cub fan is a respected poster here.

As long as you are not here to troll you will be welcome to join the discussions here.

CuckTheFubs
08-07-2002, 10:03 PM

That maybe the mood that you got, whatever that means, but that is not what was said. As was mentioned, there are a few Cub fans that post here. These Cub fans are not attacked because in general they're here talking baseball, White Sox baseball.

Your first post was contradictory, and you've continued it.

Pardon me, but if you don't care about the Sox - as you claim - why did you preuse this site?

Yes, this is a baseball site but more accurately is it's a White Sox baseball site. Surprise, surprise that people here are put off by your statement that you're a Cubbie fan that doesn't care about the Sox.

Soxboyrob
08-07-2002, 10:06 PM

Works for me. I guess it throws us off a little to hear you say you don't care about the Sox, and yet you took the time to sign yourself up to be a poster/member here. You must care about them to some degree. My guess is that you mean to say you don't really care if they win or they lose, but you follow them to some degree? That's an understandable stance and is much similar to my feelings about the Cubs. The Sox and the Cubs are both somewhat interesting teams to watch, mostly for the wrong reasons.

If you plan to talk baseball and provide a non-trollish Cub fan perspective, I hope you make posting here a regular thing. Welcome a broad, and welcome aboard, too.

kingkirk04
08-07-2002, 10:11 PM
I am not contradicting myself. I came here to talk baseball, and I noticed there was a majority of intelligent talk here.

Examples:

Cubs.com Message board: Too Fruity, realists are considered pessimists.

MLB.com Message board: Full of idiots that only complain about the Yankees

Whitesox.com Message board: Only a few posters.

This board is somewhat highly active, and with communication at a respectable level.

What I'm trying to say is, I didn't come here because this is a Sox board, I came here because it is an intelligent baseball board. I know a little bit about the Sox, because I keep up with them, just as I keep up with any other team in baseball.

CucktheFubs, I hope this is a good enough explanation for you.

LongDistanceFan
08-07-2002, 10:40 PM
[B]I am not contradicting myself.

yes you are and i am backing CucktheFubs on this. but you are right, we have great poster here. keep it smooth.

What I was trying to say is that most intelligent Cubs fans, do not care about the Sox, as I don't

here is the contradiction, if you not care about the sox, why bother posting here. its about 99.9% sox talk.

i am not satisfied but i am not one of the powers here. i am a peon.

kingkirk04
08-07-2002, 11:38 PM
I've made posts on the Angels, A's, Mariners, Cardinals, Red Sox, Yankees and White Sox boards. I follow the White Sox as much as I follow any other team in baseball. The fact that this is a White Sox board is irrelevent.

I felt I should state an opinion on a topic regarding my team. What fun are 1 sided debates?

LongDistanceFan
08-07-2002, 11:40 PM
stop this war of the words. prove me wrong and be a member of good standing.

i will not reply to you on this thread anymore.

doublem23
08-08-2002, 02:01 AM
Dude, everyone is WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY over-reacting to this. The guy wants to talk baseball, so why not let him discuss it with the most intelligent baseball fans on the face of the Earth? So he doesn't care about the Sox, big deal? As long as he doesn't troll, his input will be welcomed by myself.

I say, welcome aboard, man.

We've had "Sox fans" who've been here that have been major jackasses, too, ya'know. Don't judge a book by its cover.

PaleHoseGeorge
08-08-2002, 02:08 AM
Originally posted by daver

As one of the powers that be,so to speak,I say welcome aboard.

I have no problem with fans of other teams posting here,and as far as I know that opinion is shared by the other admins here,we do not tolerate trolls,but we do appreciate baseball discussion.We have a Twins fan that posts here,as well as an Indians fan( though Outcast Ain't been around lately) and another Cub fan is a respected poster here.

As long as you are not here to troll you will be welcome to join the discussions here.

Ummm.... DITTO!!!

We have several model citizens posting here who aren't Sox Fans. You're welcome to post.

:)

Soxheads
08-08-2002, 02:11 AM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge

Ummm.... DITTO!!!

We have several model citizens posting here who aren't Sox Fans. You're welcome to post.

And then there are several Sox fans like me who aren't model citizens. Take your pick. :smile:

doublem23
08-08-2002, 02:12 AM
Originally posted by Soxheads

And then there are several Sox fans like me who aren't model citizens. Take your pick. :smile:

Yeah, 'Heads... You're a rebel!

Soxheads
08-08-2002, 02:15 AM
Originally posted by doublem23

Yeah, 'Heads... You're a rebel!

Ummmm, where's the teal?

doublem23
08-08-2002, 02:16 AM
Originally posted by Soxheads

Ummmm, where's the teal?

I think in some cases, teal is just implied.

It's so teal, it's black.

Whoa... Did I just blow your mind, 'cuz I just blew mine... (errr, that sounded wrong).

LongDistanceFan
08-08-2002, 02:16 AM

Ummm.... DITTO!!!

define troll then.

Soxheads
08-08-2002, 02:18 AM
Originally posted by doublem23

I think in some cases, teal is just implied.

It's so teal, it's black.

Whoa... Did I just blow your mind, 'cuz I just blew mine... (errr, that sounded wrong).

Ummm, I'm not quite sure how to respond so I'll just smile and nod. :smile:

steff
08-08-2002, 10:16 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by CuckTheFubs

"Hello, I am Cubs fan that came here to talk baseball, and not to troll...[B]I could care less about the Sox, and that is true for most of the (intelligent) Cubs fans that I talk to."

Oh dammit!! This is exactly what I was thinking when I read his post yesterday.. but didn't say anything because I thought it would be "rude".

Out of curiosity.. how many people banned from here started out with the "I come in peace" speech? I'm with Cuck...

RKMeibalane
08-08-2002, 11:14 AM
I'm beginning to think that I shouldn't have started this thread.

:reinsy

"You're damn right you shouldn't have. You should be making plans to attend Sox games so I'll be motivated to actually do my job for once."

ode to veeck
08-08-2002, 11:25 AM
welcome kingkirk04, in spite of some of the sentiments expressed in some of the other posts in this thread, intelligent baseball discussions are always welcomed of WSI!

Iwritecode
08-08-2002, 11:34 AM
Welcome aboard kingkirk!

Intelligent baseball conversation is always welcome here although I must warn you, being a Sox site, 99.9% of the conversation here is about the Sox. About .3% is about the Cubs and the rest is baseball and other off-topic stuff. Most of my posts are about the latter... If you really don't care about the Sox I don't imagine you posting a whole lot but feel free to reply to any unintelligent remarks I may have. :D:

Don't worry about anyone else thinking you are a troll. As long as you don't piss off the mods, you'll be ok. I might be interesting to see a Cub fan perspective on the few Cub threads we have around here.

Iwritecode
08-08-2002, 11:40 AM
White Sox fans hate the Cubs. Cubs fans hate the White Sox. There is one important difference, however, between the two groups. Cubs fans have nothing but disdain for the Southsiders, yet they can't seem to go for long periods of time without thinking about the White Sox.

Case and point: I roomed with a Cubs fan my freshman year in college. He never hesitated to tell me how much he hated the White Sox. He even went so far as to say that he became sick to his stomach when he thought about them. But once baseball season started, he couldn't wait to see what the Sox were doing. If they had a game one evening, the first thing he did when checking the scores at ESPN was see if the Sox won or lost. As Arsenio Hall may say, hmmm...

I have considered my roomate's behavior and developed the following hypotheses:

1. Cubs fans know their team sucks, but they refuse to admit this. They are paranoid and insecure, so they wait for the Sox to make a mistake because it gives them something to smile about.

2. Cubs fans hate the Sox more than they like their own team. This is possible, because I can't think of anything to like about the Cubs.

It's funny because I have seen posts just like this on Cubs boards. They always say that Sox fans are more obsessed about the Cubs losing than the Sox winning. I'll admit I check the scores to see what they are doing and chuckle when I see they blew a 3 run lead in the bottom of the ninth... The Sox will always be first and foremost but if they are struggling it's always good to see the Cubs struggle worse. Also the fact that we are force fed Cubs news when we open the sports section because we usually have to flip through 4 pages of Cubs headlines to get to the sox stories it's easy to see why we enjoy seeing them lose. I'll still take a Sox win over a Cubs loss anyday.

delben91
08-08-2002, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by Iwritecode
Intelligent baseball conversation is always welcome here although I must warn you, being a Sox site, 99.9% of the conversation here is about the Sox. About .3% is about the Cubs and the rest is baseball and other off-topic stuff.

So, combining the Sox and Cubs related conversations, we're at 100.2%. Once you factor in the "baseball and other off-topic stuff", I'd say we reach say 102.6%, that sound about right code? :redneck

Iwritecode
08-08-2002, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by delben91
So, combining the Sox and Cubs related conversations, we're at 100.2%. Once you factor in the "baseball and other off-topic stuff", I'd say we reach say 102.6%, that sound about right code? :redneck

Actually, I came up with 103.26 but yea, that's about right...

:D: :gulp: :gulp: :gulp:

LongDistanceFan
08-08-2002, 12:19 PM
Welcome aboard kingkirk!

Intelligent baseball conversation is always welcome here although I must warn you, being a Sox site, 99.9% of the conversation here is about the Sox. About .3% is about the Cubs and the rest is baseball and other off-topic stuff. Most of my posts are about the latter... If you really don't care about the Sox I don't imagine you posting a whole lot but feel free to reply to any unintelligent remarks I may have. :D:

Don't worry about anyone else thinking you are a troll. As long as you don't piss off the mods, you'll be ok. I might be interesting to see a Cub fan perspective on the few Cub threads we have around here.

so do you want to read a poster thoughts on the sCrubs? how about if more come here and in peace and all they do is post sCrubs thread?

Iwritecode
08-08-2002, 12:34 PM
so do you want to read a poster thoughts on the sCrubs? how about if more come here and in peace and all they do is post sCrubs thread?

It's not unusual to have a thread about the Scrubs on this site. This thread is a perfect example of it. kingkirk just posted his perspective about it. I doubt a whole bunch of Cub fans are going to come here and start posting about the Cubs. Most don't want to be associated with us. If they do, I'm sure the mods will handle it as they see fit.

Moses_Scurry
08-08-2002, 01:08 PM
From what I've seen, the cub fans and other team fans that come here must abide by one rule and one rule only:

They must take whatever criticism, fair or unfair, mature or immature about their team with a smile, and under no circumstances are they allowed to fire back.

IMO, this is a perfect system to keep the fans of other teams in line. I'm sure that you notice that whenever there is a big long flubby bashfest thread, Vic is nowhere to be found on it. He knows he cannot win. That's the way it should be with the cub fans.

DrWatson27
08-08-2002, 01:30 PM
I thought this guy was on the level until I read this part

"I could care less about the Sox, and that is true for most of the (intelligent) Cubs fans that I talk to."

Then I realized the the big blue cubbie crack :bluerock and "flintstones" vitimins :nandrolone had kicked in because we all know there is no such thing as intelligent Cub fans. :nocubs

LongDistanceFan
08-08-2002, 01:34 PM

It's not unusual to have a thread about the Scrubs on this site. This thread is a perfect example of it. kingkirk just posted his perspective about it. I doubt a whole bunch of Cub fans are going to come here and start posting about the Cubs. Most don't want to be associated with us. If they do, I'm sure the mods will handle it as they see fit.

hey i hope he proves me wrong as i said before. my point is that is define as somewhat of being a troll.

this is a totally biased WhiteSox site, i really don't want to hear a sCrubs perspective on how the sCrubs are doing or anything positive. if i did, then i would visit their site, which will never happen.

Iwritecode
08-08-2002, 02:12 PM

hey i hope he proves me wrong as i said before. my point is that is define as somewhat of being a troll.

this is a totally biased WhiteSox site, i really don't want to hear a sCrubs perspective on how the sCrubs are doing or anything positive. if i did, then i would visit their site, which will never happen.

There's always the ignore feature. :)

PaleHoseGeorge
08-08-2002, 02:17 PM

We have a Parking Lot for off-topic discussions. Overt Flubbie chat will inevitably wind up there.

No worries...

Iwritecode
08-08-2002, 02:26 PM
We have a Parking Lot for off-topic discussions. Overt Flubbie chat will inevitably wind up there.

No worries...

I'm surprised more of my stuff doesn't end up over there. I'm hardly ever on-topic... :cool:

RKMeibalane
08-08-2002, 02:52 PM
Moses_Scurry is right. If Cubs fans want to visit this board, they must be willing to take whatever crap we dish out. After all, the same thing would happen if any of us went to cubs.com and posted. As long as fans of other teams are willing accept that the overwhelming majority of the people who post here are Sox fans who will present a "totally biased" inpterpretation of White Sox baseball, then they are welcome to post here as often as they like. Anyone who understands baseball and is willing to share his thoughts and ideas would be a welcome addition to the WSI community.

Having said that, I have no patience whatsoever for trolls and other troublemakers who visit this site. If a particular poster has a different opinion than other users, that's fine as long as posts are kept clean and free of useless garbage such as "My team rules, and yours drools."

Also, it is not appropriate to diliberately bait other users into arguments or fights, either here on the message board or in the chatroom. Let's remember that there are several different age groups being represented here. The majority of the posters are adults, but I have seen a few younger visitors, some of whom may be offended by some of the things I have seen posted since I became a member of WSI last fall.

CuckTheFubs
08-08-2002, 03:16 PM
Let's remember that there are several different age groups being represented here. The majority of the posters are adults, but I have seen a few younger visitors, some of whom may be offended by some of the things I have seen posted since I became a member of WSI last fall.

Your comment reminds me of what was posted about my User Name once during the short time I posted on Cubs.com.

"His handle is a simple spoonerism and should be banned...Talking trash is bad enough, but there are younger folks reading this board, and I don't want to give them a bad impression of adults if I can help it!"

And with my usual maturity I responded:

If a "spoonerism" is the worst thing that a young person sees on the internet then count that a victory.

If you really want to protect young ones then keep them clear of the bleachers at Wrigley Field. A spoonerism would be a welcome break from the foul mouthed drunks that inhabit the bleachers.

If you want to prepare a young person for the bleachers consider taking them to Mardi Gras in New Orleans or have them watch a "Girls Gone Wild" commercial.

And the neighborhood around Wrigley? YIKES! Itís certainly an education for young ones.

Iwritecode
08-08-2002, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by CuckTheFubs

Your comment reminds me of what was posted about my User Name once during the short time I posted on Cubs.com.

"His handle is a simple spoonerism and should be banned...Talking trash is bad enough, but there are younger folks reading this board, and I don't want to give them a bad impression of adults if I can help it!"

And with my usual maturity I responded:

If a "spoonerism" is the worst thing that a young person sees on the internet then count that a victory.

If you really want to protect young ones then keep them clear of the bleachers at Wrigley Field. A spoonerism would be a welcome break from the foul mouthed drunks that inhabit the bleachers.

If you want to prepare a young person for the bleachers consider taking them to Mardi Gras in New Orleans or have them watch a "Girls Gone Wild" commercial.

And the neighborhood around Wrigley? YIKES! Itís certainly an education for young ones.

You make a good point. Sometimes though I wonder if it's just the parents. My kids hear swear words all the time. They also know that they are bad and they are not to use them. As a matter of fact, they are usually the ones telling us WE are bad. It's impossible to protect them from everything. But it is possible to teach them right from wrong.

CuckTheFubs
08-08-2002, 04:20 PM
...This board is somewhat highly active, and with communication at a respectable level.

What I'm trying to say is, I didn't come here because this is a Sox board, I came here because it is an intelligent baseball board. I know a little bit about the Sox, because I keep up with them, just as I keep up with any other team in baseball.

I'm not a moderator here so whether it's good enough for me makes no difference. However if, as you say, you've come to talk baseball then fine.

Your comment about not "caring" about the Sox still strikes me as odd - that and the oxymoron you wrote, "intelligent Cub fans". :D:

:woo-woo
"Thats write I'm very intallagent-woo."