PDA

View Full Version : Quintana or Santiago for Headley Rumor

ZombieRob
12-09-2013, 12:03 AM
http://www.csnchicago.com/white-sox/white-sox-could-get-chase-headley-if-they-pay

Headley (please fix) thanks

delben91
12-09-2013, 12:18 AM
Headley had a down year last year, but he rushed back from a broken thumb he suffered in spring training and just didn't look right the whole year long.

I think Santiago for Headley would be a great deal for the Sox. Deal from a position of strength to solve a position of definite weakness. One rub is that Headley is in his last year of arbitration (or next to last?) so be good to sign him for a few more years as part of the potential deal.

MtGrnwdSoxFan
12-09-2013, 01:18 AM
http://i717.photobucket.com/albums/ww173/prestonjjrtr/DTL%20Other/EdithHedley.jpg

"That's HEADLEY."

(I know you corrected yourself, but it was just too easy to pass up.)

ZombieRob
12-09-2013, 01:24 AM
http://i717.photobucket.com/albums/ww173/prestonjjrtr/DTL%20Other/EdithHedley.jpg

"That's HEADLEY."

(I know you corrected yourself, but it was just too easy to pass up.)
I knew that was coming haha

ZombieRob
12-09-2013, 01:25 AM
Headley had a down year last year, but he rushed back from a broken thumb he suffered in spring training and just didn't look right the whole year long.

I think Santiago for Headley would be a great deal for the Sox. Deal from a position of strength to solve a position of definite weakness. One rub is that Headley is in his last year of arbitration (or next to last?) so be good to sign him for a few more years as part of the potential deal.
Yea if I'm throwing Santiago there way, He needs to sign an extension first. 29 should have some miles left and getting out of Petco helps anyone

Soxman219
12-09-2013, 02:17 AM
I'd do it.

chicagowhitesox1
12-09-2013, 02:30 AM
I bet he would do very well playing here. That would be a very nice trade.

aryzner
12-09-2013, 08:25 AM
I don't like the idea.

blandman
12-09-2013, 09:28 AM
My issue isn't the value, as Headley's ceiling is MVP caliber. I'm more concerned with his age. He'll be what, 30 next year? If he signs an extension, in which of those years will we be competing? What will he look like in that year, a corner infielder at an advanced age?

12-09-2013, 09:38 AM
My issue isn't the value, as Headley's ceiling is MVP caliber. I'm more concerned with his age. He'll be what, 30 next year? If he signs an extension, in which of those years will we be competing? What will he look like in that year, a corner infielder at an advanced age?

Headley is not MVP caliber. What are you smoking.

aryzner
12-09-2013, 10:14 AM
I don't get the love for Headley. Yeah, he's a nice player and all but he kind of reminds me of the money the Yankees just gave Ellsbury for whatever reason. Yes, Ellsbury is the better hitter, I will admit that. But I have read some comments that say, "Well, if Ellsbury can hit 30+ HR again, it'll be worth it." He did that one year. Headley hit 30+ HR and 100+ RBI one year as well. Neither player has come close to that since.

Sure, he plays at a tough park in Petco, but I still just don't see it. He'd be better than whatever other options the Sox have at third base, but I think the Sox are gonna be bad anyway, so what's the point in trading for a guy who will be over the age of 30 soon? I agree with blandman here.

rdivaldi
12-09-2013, 10:41 AM

Headley's career has been highlighted by one fantastic year and five mediocre at best years. I would not trade a starting pitcher for him, especially considering his age.

SephClone89
12-09-2013, 11:10 AM
Headley is not MVP caliber. What are you smoking.

As munch, y'know, actually said, his ceiling is.

doublem23
12-09-2013, 11:30 AM

Talking about the ceiling of a 30-year-old with nearly 3,500 MLB PA is pretty insane, we know what kind of player he is

PaleHoser
12-09-2013, 01:24 PM
Maybe they'd take back to two pitchers they gave us for TCQ?

Then it becomes Headley for Quentin.

blandman
12-09-2013, 02:12 PM
Talking about the ceiling of a 30-year-old with nearly 3,500 MLB PA is pretty insane, we know what kind of player he is

Considering two years ago he won the silver slugger, gold glove, and finished fifth place in the MVP vote despite being on a terrible team, no I think it's mildly up for debate. If he moved from PetCo to here, his numbers would probably get a huge bump too.

I think Headley's a good player that in the right place can be that MVP type player again. I just wouldn't trade young assets for a 30 year old unless I was competing in the next two years.

sullythered
12-09-2013, 02:14 PM

That makes even less sense, considering he is likely on the wrong side of his prime.

Sargeant79
12-09-2013, 02:15 PM
Headley is a free agent after 2014, correct? If so, this makes no sense unless the Sox manage to extend him. Young starting pitching needs to be used to acquire assets that will be around after next year.

blandman
12-09-2013, 02:40 PM
Just to be clear, because I don't think it is with some people, nowhere did I say go and trade for Chase Headley.

Foulke You
12-09-2013, 02:59 PM
Headley is a free agent after 2014, correct? If so, this makes no sense unless the Sox manage to extend him. Young starting pitching needs to be used to acquire assets that will be around after next year.
Yeah, this is my problem with the proposed deal as well and likely why it won't fly. If Headley was signed for the next three years, then it would be worth it. I'm sure Chase Headley's agent sees the crazy money being thrown at free agents lately. He also knows that Headley is a switch hitter and plays at a premium position that is tough to fill. I doubt they would rush into a contract extension with the Sox knowing that teams are throwing insane money around. One solid year from Headley in 2014 will turn into gold heading into 2015.

Noneck
12-09-2013, 03:03 PM
Yeah, this is my problem with the proposed deal as well and likely why it won't fly. If Headley was signed for the next three years, then it would be worth it. I'm sure Chase Headley's agent sees the crazy money being thrown at free agents lately. He also knows that Headley is a switch hitter and plays at a premium position that is tough to fill. I doubt they would rush into a contract extension with the Sox knowing that teams are throwing insane money around. One solid year from Headley in 2014 will turn into gold heading into 2015.

I agree, the only way Headley would agree to an extension now if he was damaged goods. Next years pay days should be as sweet as this years. Hed be crazy not to go on the open market.

doublem23
12-09-2013, 03:08 PM
Just to be clear, because I don't think it is with some people, nowhere did I say go and trade for Chase Headley.

Um, where do you think anyone has said you posted that? We're just saying that discussing the "ceiling" of a player whose already 30 years old is inherently ridiculous.

Tragg
12-09-2013, 04:37 PM
Nothing like trading young pitching for a rent. Sign the Headleys; don't trade for them.
Headley's a good player who had one great year.

doublem23
12-09-2013, 05:00 PM
Nothing like trading young pitching for a rent. Sign the Headleys; don't trade for them.
Headley's a good player who had one great year.

I don't know, if you can get them for a pitcher maybe you're not high on, why not? Have you seen the prices the open market commands nowadays? Just out of curiosity, is dealing a guy like Hector Santiago really worse than potentially paying a guy like him millions of dollars for several years? The whole point of investing in your own player development is that, when the opportunity presents itself, you can turn your homegrown players into better players via trade rather than doing things the Yankee way which is taking on a lot of bloated payroll.

Tragg
12-09-2013, 05:21 PM
I don't know, if you can get them for a pitcher maybe you're not high on, why not? Have you seen the prices the open market commands nowadays? Just out of curiosity, is dealing a guy like Hector Santiago really worse than potentially paying a guy like him millions of dollars for several years? The whole point of investing in your own player development is that, when the opportunity presents itself, you can turn your homegrown players into better players via trade rather than doing things the Yankee way which is taking on a lot of bloated payroll.
No it isn't. But that's not the choice. The choice is to trade Santiago for ONE year of Headley. There's no real reason to sign a below market extension. So if he does extend, it will be the same contract had we signed him.

blandman
12-09-2013, 05:23 PM
Um, where do you think anyone has said you posted that? We're just saying that discussing the "ceiling" of a player whose already 30 years old is inherently ridiculous.

Maybe ceiling is the wrong word.

The highest production we can expect out of him for the next few years is contending for the MVP, based on his prior ability to do so in less than ideal hitting conditions.

Is that better? The point I was making is that Headley could contend for the MVP, and that's the highest projection for him if he were here. Which is a higher projection than most would give to the players we'd trade away, even if you consider them better bets to reach their highest projection.

Noneck
12-09-2013, 05:24 PM

The Sox are going to have delve into the expensive FA market eventually or wait an eternity to create enough home grown players to compete. Maybe Headley will one of these as FA that is, why give up pitching for a lost team this year. Wait till next year and then sign him.

blandman
12-09-2013, 05:27 PM
No it isn't. But that's not the choice. The choice is to trade Santiago for ONE year of Headley. There's no real reason to sign a below market extension. So if he does extend, it will be the same contract had we signed him.

I'm not sure the Padres would do that deal. Santiago isn't as valuable as most people seem to think he is. One year or not, I'd do that deal only so I can spin off Headley for something more valuable than Santiago. There's a lot of teams looking for a quality 3B for this year...

Tragg
12-09-2013, 06:28 PM
I'm not sure the Padres would do that deal. Santiago isn't as valuable as most people seem to think he is. One year or not, I'd do that deal only so I can spin off Headley for something more valuable than Santiago. There's a lot of teams looking for a quality 3B for this year...

I'm not sure they would either. But I don't see any reason for us to scour the rent-a-player bin.

blandman
12-09-2013, 06:36 PM
I'm not sure they would either. But I don't see any reason for us to scour the rent-a-player bin.

The Padres will eventually get a better player than Santiago back for Headley, so if they'd do the deal, I say do it.

But...of course, this is discourse and based on nothing. San Diego would never do that deal.