PDA

View Full Version : Ramirez Trade and move Beckham to SS

gregp65
12-08-2013, 10:01 AM
I haven't heard anything regarding this, but does anyone think this could be a possibility?

soltrain21
12-08-2013, 10:08 AM
Beckham isn't a SS.

doublem23
12-08-2013, 10:21 AM
If Ramirez is moved, I'm pretty sure we're going to get a lot of Semien and Leury Garcia at short

DSpivack
12-08-2013, 11:26 AM
No reason to jerk Beckham around and have him switch positions again, as mediocre as I think he is.

blandman
12-08-2013, 12:25 PM
The Yankees apparently are looking to move Brett Gardner if they can fill one of their other holes (2B/3B). Anyone else see a match with Beckham?

DSpivack
12-08-2013, 12:40 PM
The Yankees apparently are looking to move Brett Gardner if they can fill one of their other holes (2B/3B). Anyone else see a match with Beckham?

They signed Kelly Johnson, not sure why they would want Beckham.

TDog
12-08-2013, 01:19 PM
I haven't heard anything regarding this, but does anyone think this could be a possibility?

There is a reason you haven't heard anything about this.

For one thing, I don't see the White Sox trading Ramirez. There was a thread about a column by a St. Louis writer who called the White Sox delusional in their asking price when the Cardinals asked about Ramirez, which I took as more of an indication that Ramirez isn't going anywhere than the possibility that the White Sox are trying to sell him for an unrealistic price. And, of course, he helped the White Sox sign Abreu.

As Soultrain noted, Beckham isn't considered a major league shortstop. He wasn't considered one when he was drafted. He played short in college. So did Buster Posey. I'm not sure if Posey and Beckham faced each other in college, but I wonder if there's a college box score that has Beckham and Posey as the starting shortstops.

doublem23
12-08-2013, 01:29 PM
They signed Kelly Johnson, not sure why they would want Beckham.

Well, I'm not sure the acquisition of Johnson precludes the Yankees from trying to get another 2B, but I don't know why they would interested in Beckham. Man, he sucks.

ViPeRx007
12-11-2013, 11:54 PM

Yankees turned down Gardner for Brandon Phillips. I doubt they'd pull the trigger for Beckham...

Tragg
12-12-2013, 01:09 AM

I don't see an interest in Gardner.

If someone offers something interesting for Ramirez, by all means trade him. We can get by with L Garcia....IF we put him in the 9 hole (big IF, considering the braintrust led off the speedster when he played last year). He can get on base once in a while by walking.

Domeshot17
12-12-2013, 10:30 AM
I would do Beckham for Gardner in a HEART beat. However, that is a pretty low power OF with Eaton-Gardner-Garcia.

You would be resigned to the fact your only 2 power hitters are Dunn and Abreu. Risky proposition.

Domeshot17
12-12-2013, 10:30 AM
Yankees turned down Gardner for Brandon Phillips. I doubt they'd pull the trigger for Beckham...

to be fair though, the only reason they paid out is rampant reports that Phillips is demanding more money once he is dealt.

Bucky F. Dent
12-12-2013, 11:06 AM
With Abreu new to the team, I doubt that Ramirez and/or Viciedo get dealt this off-season.

blandman
12-12-2013, 11:14 AM

The White Sox would turn down Brandon Phillips for Beckham, the Phillips argument is irrelevant.

Phillips fell off miserably in the first year of a very expensive multi-year deal that takes him into his late 30's. He's basically untradable, without sending back another albatross.

blandman
12-12-2013, 11:18 AM
I would do Beckham for Gardner in a HEART beat. However, that is a pretty low power OF with Eaton-Gardner-Garcia.

You would be resigned to the fact your only 2 power hitters are Dunn and Abreu. Risky proposition.

Eh...I mean, if Garcia hits his power is supposed to be as high as anyone's. And it's not like we're looking at this as a finished product. At some point, we're going to have to get/develop a third basemen and a catcher, and both of those positions are traditionally power positions.

TomBradley72
12-13-2013, 10:05 AM
Not a SS.

I'm willing to give Beckham one more season to see if he can finally get there- I still like his defense overall (while overrated) and he's shown flashes of figuring it out at the plate- but hampered by injuries in 2013.

Not great prospect pushing him in the minors- and if we work to address any needs- C and 3rd are much higher on the list- nothing ANYWHERE in the organization for either position.

doublem23
12-13-2013, 11:22 AM
Not great prospect pushing him in the minors- and if we work to address any needs- C and 3rd are much higher on the list- nothing ANYWHERE in the organization for either position.

I am still high on Trey Michalczewski at 3B, he was an 8th round pick this past draft but he fell a few rounds because a lot of teams didn't think they could convince him to sign away from his commitment to Oklahoma. His line at Bristol isn't anything to write home about but he was overall up and down. Kid's still only 18 years old so he's still obviously YEARS away from helping the big league club, but keep an eye on him. A lot of people were surprised the Sox were able to sign him, definitely thought his talent warranted a higher round than he was picked.

TomBradley72
12-13-2013, 11:28 AM
I am still high on Trey Michalczewski at 3B, he was an 8th round pick this past draft but he fell a few rounds because a lot of teams didn't think they could convince him to sign away from his commitment to Oklahoma. His line at Bristol isn't anything to write home about but he was overall up and down. Kid's still only 18 years old so he's still obviously YEARS away from helping the big league club, but keep an eye on him. A lot of people were surprised the Sox were able to sign him, definitely thought his talent warranted a higher round than he was picked.

Posts like this are why I love WSI- I'm a diehard and never heard of this guy.

Getting his name on the back of a jersey is going to be a challenge.

soxfanreggie
12-25-2013, 08:42 PM
Not a chance they would do this. I wouldn't mind trading Alexei. No problem with him but it could be the year to free up $$$ and see what we have in Garcia and Semien for the year.