PDA

View Full Version : Conspiracy theorists

Jerry_Manuel
08-07-2002, 12:07 PM
From the SouthTown:

Next, some conspiracy theorists might suggest the team is exaggerating the extent of Ritchie's injury to help him avoid losing 20 games. But Ritchie is eligible for arbitration this coming offseason and needs a good showing down the stretch to help his case. And if the Sox decide not to offer him arbitration, he'll become a free agent. Either way, he has more to gain than to lose by continuing to pitch.

On top of that, Sox general manager Ken Williams already has admitted the deal in which the Sox acquired Ritchie from Pittsburgh (for pitchers Kip Wells, Sean Lowe and Josh Fogg) was a bad one. So it's too late for the Sox to save face in that regard, unless Ritchie finishes on a positive note.

Finally, the Sox could benefit from a strong return by Ritchie by trading him before playoff rosters are set Aug. 31. So it makes no sense for them to exaggerate the seriousness of the inflammation.

"It's a lose-lose with him in the bullpen," one member of the organization said. "It makes absolutely no sense for us to do that. The only way he's not out there is if he's really hurt."

Ritchie said last week, "I've had inflammation (in the shoulder) before, but never felt the pain I did after my (July 22 start)."

Ritchie has been getting treatment and doing special shoulder exercises every day.

"If we're hiding this guy and faking an injury, we're putting on one hell of a show," the source said.

KingXerxes
08-07-2002, 12:28 PM
The Southtown article - on its surface - would appear to prove that the White Sox are not DL'ing Ritchie for any reason other than the fact that he is truly hurt. And if the White Sox were run by a sane group of individuals - I might tend to buy off on the Southtown's analysis. But the White Sox are run by idiots, and I guaranteee you that they are shelving Ritchie so he doesn't lose 20. From out of nowhere - just after he said he never felt stronger all year - Todd Ritchie gets bursitis.

This is what happens when you lose all credibility Kenny - nobody believes anything you have to say anymore. The only person I've ever seen escape this dynamic is Ken Harrelson (although I've never bought his schtick).

PaleHoseGeorge
08-07-2002, 12:39 PM
"It's a lose-lose with him in the bullpen," one member of the organization said. "It makes absolutely no sense for us to do that. The only way he's not out there is if he's really hurt."

OH, BULL****!!!

There is one VERY GOOD REASON to shelve Ritchie: saving the Sox and Kenny Williams any further embarrassment when he inevitably loses his 20th game.

This excuse is so delusional, so mind-boggling, so completely over-the-top, there is only one person STUPID ENOUGH to think anybody outside the organization is going to buy it.

:reinsy
<whistling pass the graveyard>

It's official. The White Sox organization has lost the last bit of what little grip it had left on reality.

I'm speechless...

:boston
"But you know something PHG, they are brilliantly marketed."

Somebody get me a gun.

Daver
08-07-2002, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge

Somebody get me a gun.

Any preferences to type and caliber?