PDA

View Full Version : Anybody else tired of the national media referring to Boston as "the Sox"?

Procol Harum
10-27-2013, 10:01 AM
Couldn't see a similar thread, I imagine it's probably come up before--but how many of my fellow fans of the "Right Sox" are tired of hearing the announcers in the playoffs, and now the World Series, constantly referring to Boston as "the Sox"? It's bad enough that under normal circumstances we have to constantly see Boston on the East Coast Sports Programming Network--do we really need the extra dose of Northeastern media myopia?

Grumble, grumble--and yes, Middlebrooks was obstructing on that play...

DrCrawdad
10-27-2013, 10:31 AM
Couldn't see a similar thread, I imagine it's probably come up before--but how many of my fellow fans of the "Right Sox" are tired of hearing the announcers in the playoffs, and now the World Series, constantly referring to Boston as "the Sox"? It's bad enough that under normal circumstances we have to constantly see Boston on the East Coast Sports Programming Network--do we really need the extra dose of Northeastern media myopia?

Grumble, grumble--and yes, Middlebrooks was obstructing on that play...

Yes, me too. I often refer to them as the other Sox, as THE Sox had the term sox first.

I hate on the MLB iOs app that they often use the nicknames for Other Sox players.

I rooted for the Other Sox in the 2004 postseason. Since then I've grown so tired of the Other Sox, their fans and the media coverage of them. Doesn't help how Cubbie clowns glom onto the Other Sox.

And, yes, you're right that was the right call to end the game.

winstonage
10-27-2013, 10:39 AM
What makes it worse is the national media refers to our Sox as the White Sox, as if there is only one Sox team.

Brian26
10-27-2013, 11:08 AM

Coach and Sam were referring to them as the "Sox" on Cheers 30 years ago, so it's not a new phenomenon.

Chez
10-27-2013, 12:38 PM
A favorite pet peeve of Ed Farmer. What does it say on the front of Boston's home jersey? "Red Sox." What does it say on the front of Chicago's home jersey? "Sox." Case closed as per Farmio.

DrCrawdad
10-27-2013, 03:46 PM
Coach and Sam were referring to them as the "Sox" on Cheers 30 years ago, so it's not a new phenomenon.

Well that at least was a TV sitcom about a Boston bar.

waldo_the_wolf
10-27-2013, 04:28 PM
For years I've been seeing headlines on mlb.com that mention the "Sox" and every time it's referring to Boston. That's irritating. Although to be fair, in situations like this year's world series when Boston is the only Sox team playing, I don't see a problem with referring to the Red Sox as the Sox for short. It's the same as Cards or A's or M's or Jays.

TDog
10-27-2013, 04:36 PM
The Red Sox have been simply "the Sox" in Boston and New England, to the fans, announcers and headline writers in the regional media for decades and probably longer. I believe in Babe Ruth's autobiography he talks about playing for "the Sox." I'm guessing the Blue Jays are simply the Jays in Toronto and among Canadian fans. The Devil Rays were probably the Rays to their fans long before they dropped the Devil. In Pittsburg, the Pirates are the "Bucs" because shortening buccaneer sounds better than shortening pirate. In San Diego, fans talk about "the Pads" as silly as that might sound. At Northern Arizona University, the sports teams, the Lumberjacks are often called "the Jacks." The Yuma High School Criminals are the Crims and Arizona Western College Matadors are the Mats. I doubt that the Scottsdale Community College Artichokes are known as the 'Chokes," but I digress.

The national media referring to the Red Sox as "the Sox," though does sound a bit too familiar, as if the national media were calling the Tigers "the Tiges." The White Sox have "Sox" on their jerseys and caps, but with the Red Sox, the abbreviation is your own.

LITTLE NELL
10-27-2013, 05:27 PM
I'm more worried about our Sox turning around a 99 loss season in 2013 and becoming contenders in 2014.

Hitmen77
10-27-2013, 06:35 PM
i'm more worried about our sox turning around a 99 loss season in 2013 and becoming contenders in 2014.

+1

waldo_the_wolf
10-27-2013, 08:09 PM
I'm more worried about our Sox turning around a 99 loss season in 2013 and becoming contenders in 2014.

Good point. That would be the best way for them to stake their claim as being THE sox.

DrCrawdad
10-27-2013, 08:18 PM

Good point. I'm sure most, if not all the posters here, are more concerned about the way the team does on the field. This is just a timely point with the Other Sox in the World Series.

The Other Sox turn around from their 69-93 2012 record is a great thing for our Sox to strive for, and I think it's achievable (pardon my rose colored glasses).

asindc
10-27-2013, 08:23 PM
Good point. I'm sure most, if not all the posters here, are more concerned about the way the team does on the field. This is just a timely point with the Other Sox in the World Series.

The Other Sox turn around from their 69-93 2012 record is a great thing for our Sox to strive for, and I think it's achievable (pardon my rose colored glasses).

No need to apologize.

LITTLE NELL
10-27-2013, 08:39 PM

In the first 90 years of the game no team had gone from first to last. In the last 24 years it has happened 11 times. With free agency and some smart trades our Sox can do it. We already have good pitching and Hahn came up with a couple nice moves trading for Garcia and signing Abreu. I also think Semien is going to help out. Nothing surprises me in Baseball anymore and I'm looking for Hahn to make a few more moves and for us to contend in 2014.

PS I'm sure someone will bring up that until 1969 we only had 2 pennant races. Things are easier now as we went to 4 races and now 6 races plus now you only have to beat out 4 teams. Another thing to look at is that I don't think there are any great teams in Baseball right now, no Bronx Bombers, No Big Red Machine, no teams that 20 years from now that people will be talking about.

MeteorsSox4367
10-27-2013, 10:10 PM
It's just the national media picking up on a regional trait. My dad and I have been lifelong Sox fans and rarely - if ever - do we refer to the Sox as the White Sox.

As much as people nationally love Boston, there will always be just one Sox team for me.

Railsplitter
10-27-2013, 10:17 PM
We were the White Sox when Boston was still the Pilgrims.

kittle42
10-27-2013, 10:21 PM
Petty concerns.

ChicagoG19
10-27-2013, 10:40 PM
It's a bit irritating, but I think the Sox (the White variety) fans will always suffer from a little brother syndrome. It's in our blood. The Sox will never get the national coverage the Red Sox or Cubs get. It's better to just try to accept that and move on. The only thing I can see changing the tide is if the Sox had a decade-long run of 4-5 World Series.

asindc
10-27-2013, 11:04 PM
Winning cures all.

CoopaLoop
10-28-2013, 12:25 AM
Some of you guys let the weirdest things bother you.

Procol Harum
10-29-2013, 09:57 AM
Some of you guys let the weirdest things bother you.

I don't think it would bother me near as much if "our" Sox hadn't been a complete pukefest since the middle of September 2012 and, with the happy, short-lived exception of 2008, been a no-show in the playoffs since our brief, shining moment in the sun 8 years ago. Under those circumstances it becomes an extra layer of icing on our giant cake of contemporary baseball humiliation...

happydude
10-29-2013, 01:26 PM
I'm ok with it. If you asked the average baseball fan what comes to mind when they hear the name "Sox" I'd be surprised if the vast majority of them wouldn't point to Boston and Fenway.

I also wasn't upset with the perceived lack of respect many seem to believe we received on the telecasts during the 2005 playoffs. The type of attention and respect the Yankees, Red Sox, Dodgers, Braves, Cardinals, and Cubs receive is not likely to ever visit 35th and Shields except for the briefest moments. I'm not bothered by that; I just want more titles.

The Rays have two titles in the last decade and annual success and no one gives a damn about them.

Hitmen77
10-29-2013, 02:03 PM
I don't think it would bother me near as much if "our" Sox hadn't been a complete pukefest since the middle of September 2012 and, with the happy, short-lived exception of 2008, been a no-show in the playoffs since our brief, shining moment in the sun 8 years ago. Under those circumstances it becomes an extra layer of icing on our giant cake of contemporary baseball humiliation...

I guess I have the opposite view of this. Since the White Sox have been, at best, playoff pretenders post 2008, i'm not going to complain if the national media refers to the perennial pennant-contending Red Sox as "the Sox". As much as I hate the Red Sox, they have earned being called "the Sox".

How about if White Sox ownership/management turn this team into a frequent pennant contender instead of a perennial 84 win/2nd or 3rd place team with a surprise playoff appearance every ~5 years? Maybe that'll solve the problem of the national media only noticing one "Sox" team.

If the White Sox became a sustained pennant contender and media outlets continued to give the Red Sox a monopoly on the term "the Sox", then i'll find this as something worth complaining about.

SOXSINCE'70
11-01-2013, 08:27 AM
They're the Bah-ston SAWX,you Bah-stads. :D:

SephClone89
11-01-2013, 08:52 AM
They're the Bah-ston SAWX,you Bah-stads. :D:

Båstad? (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/B%C3%A5stad)

LITTLE NELL
11-01-2013, 09:08 AM
We will get the respect when we start doing what the Blackhawks have done, they are probably the premier franchise in the NHL right now. Until JR comes to his senses and changes things on the Southside we will continue to be just another baseball team wallowing around as pretenders instead of contenders, better yet JR needs to sell the team.

TomBradley72
11-01-2013, 10:50 AM
If we can win 3 World Series in 10 years instead of 3 in 107 years- maybe it will change.

DSpivack
11-01-2013, 02:27 PM
We will get the respect when we start doing what the Blackhawks have done, they are probably the premier franchise in the NHL right now. Until JR comes to his senses and changes things on the Southside we will continue to be just another baseball team wallowing around as pretenders instead of contenders, better yet JR needs to sell the team.

I think the Sox can become a contender without being miserable for years on end in order to get top draft picks. Those picks mean less in baseball, too.