PDA

View Full Version : Jim Leyland to step down as Tigers manager

aryzner
10-21-2013, 09:05 AM
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/10/jim-leyland-to-step-down-as-tigers-manager.html

Huisj
10-21-2013, 09:05 AM
Rumors on the radio this morning are that he's stepping down. Press conference in an hour or so. This is opposite of what other articles have been saying the last day or so.

https://twitter.com/DSports1051

amsteel
10-21-2013, 09:42 AM
There's a bigger issue at hand, either health or disagreement with management. You don't just walk away from a team that's perennially a pennant contender.

Or he got fired and they are giving him the opportunity of 'stepping down'.

PaleHoser
10-21-2013, 09:51 AM
There's a bigger issue at hand, either health or disagreement with management. You don't just walk away from a team that's perennially a pennant contender.

It may be health, but it may also be age/burnout. He's 68 years old and has managed for 22 MLB seasons.

Maybe they'll hire Ozzie.

Boondock Saint
10-21-2013, 09:53 AM

Tony LaRussa walked away after winning a title. There doesn't need to be an underlying reason for him walking away. He's turning 69 in two months. That's all the reason he needs.

TDog
10-21-2013, 10:47 AM
Tony LaRussa walked away after winning a title. There doesn't need to be an underlying reason for him walking away. He's turning 69 in two months. That's all the reason he needs.

In the 1970s, Dick Williams walked away from the A's, with a year left on his contract, announcing that he was leaving during network coverage of the postgame celebration of his second straight World Series championship. He didn't retire, though, He went on to manage the Angels and eventually make Bill Melton's life miserable.

Jim Leyland strikes me as someone who wants to retire. It isn't as if the White Sox Sunday uniforms this season filled him with a desire to return to Chicago where he was coaching third under Tony LaRussa for 1983 Western Division Champions.

SOX ADDICT '73
10-21-2013, 10:57 AM
It may be health, but it may also be age/burnout. He's 68 years old and has managed for 22 MLB seasons.

Maybe they'll hire Ozzie.
Why the teal? This should be in hot pink, especially if he takes his obnoxious kids up there with him.

Foulke You
10-21-2013, 11:15 AM
It will be interesting to see who the Tigers hire to replace him. I wonder if they will hire from within or look for an established guy. Also, how long before the first local article surfaces suggesting the Cubs hire Leyland as manager? I could see Telander or Morrisey being all over this one.:cool:

thomas35forever
10-21-2013, 12:11 PM
At least the Tigers clubhouse will be completely smoke-free now.

Noneck
10-21-2013, 12:13 PM

Not everyone has to work till they are dirt.

slavko
10-21-2013, 12:18 PM
I'm leaning toward fired but I don't know and neither do the rest of us.

Huisj
10-21-2013, 12:33 PM
The things I've heard from people talking about the press conference is that he told Dombrowski a month ago that he was going to step down. He's worn out from the grind of travelling, but he's going to keep a position within the Tiger organization.

So no, it doesn't sound like he was fired. I don't think the Tigers are that stupid (unlike a large vocal portion of their fans who get mad at him for silly reasons every time they lose a game).

samurai_sox
10-21-2013, 01:23 PM
Wow, seriously this is a dream scenario for Ozzie.

The Tigers are built to win now, Ozzie loves Cabrera like a son and would jump at the chance to manage him, he's always wanted to manage Victor Martinez too.

He would be extra motivated to keep his mouth shut after the fiasco in Miami and of course this would be his shot with getting even with the Sox (specifically Kenny).

The Immigrant
10-21-2013, 01:31 PM
The Tigers are built to win now, Ozzie loves Cabrera like a son and would jump at the chance to manage him, he's always wanted to manage Victor Martinez too.

Ha! I'm sure Oney and Ozzie Jr. would do wonders for Cabrera's sobriety.

SOX ADDICT '73
10-21-2013, 01:37 PM

He would be extra motivated to keep his mouth shut after the fiasco in Miami and of course this would be his shot with getting even with the Sox (specifically Kenny).
Dream scenario for Ozzie, but are the Tigers that desperate/stupid? I don't see them putting their "built to win now" team in the hands of a madman.

I loved (and defended) Ozzie for his first several years here, but his schtick wore thin. When he had a chance to reboot in Miami, he completely imploded.

Rocky Soprano
10-21-2013, 01:44 PM

I'm sure he would LOVE to manage the Tigers but doubt they would be willing to give him the chance considering what happened in Miami.

He would probably keep his mouth shut until they lost a few games and then good ol' Ozzie would come out.

ChiSoxGal85
10-21-2013, 02:11 PM
Sure, I'd root for the Tigers hiring Ozzie. What a great move that would be...for the White Sox. :tongue:

Boondock Saint
10-21-2013, 02:16 PM

Motivated? Yes.

Capable? Hell no.

tstrike2000
10-21-2013, 03:09 PM
It will be interesting to see who the Tigers hire to replace him. I wonder if they will hire from within or look for an established guy. Also, how long before the first local article surfaces suggesting the Cubs hire Leyland as manager? I could see Telander or Morrisey being all over this one.:cool:

Robin Ventura?

GoSox2K3
10-21-2013, 03:24 PM
Dream scenario for Ozzie, but are the Tigers that desperate/stupid? I don't see them putting their "built to win now" team in the hands of a madman.

I loved (and defended) Ozzie for his first several years here, but his schtick wore thin. When he had a chance to reboot in Miami, he completely imploded.

Yeah, no kidding. The Tigers are not stupid. There's no way they would hire a megalomaniac like Ozzie. Illitch has too much invested in that team to let Ozzie drive it into the ground.

Anyway, surely the Tigers have some former player/fan favorite with little or no coaching experience available to be their next manager.

FielderJones
10-21-2013, 11:43 PM
Anyway, surely the Tigers have some former player/fan favorite with little or no coaching experience available to be their next manager.

Seems to have worked for the Cardinals.

doublem23
10-22-2013, 06:09 AM

I think a paycheck at this point is a dream scenario for Ozzie

DumpJerry
10-22-2013, 07:12 AM
I think a paycheck at this point is a dream scenario for Ozzie
He's pulling one for the next two years from Loria.

doublem23
10-22-2013, 08:23 AM
He's pulling one for the next two years from Loria.

You're right, I worded that wrong, I think attention at this point is a dream scenario for Ozzie.

DumpJerry
10-22-2013, 10:32 AM
You're right, I worded that wrong, I think attention at this point is a dream scenario for Ozzie.
Ozzie would love to be the Cubs Manager so he can go rat hunting at Wrigley.

It would be fun if he somehow was under consideration and he had to eat all that **** he said about Wrigley. I guess he would say "it's a new ballpark, the rats moved to 35th Street."

TheVulture
10-24-2013, 12:02 PM
He would be extra motivated to keep his mouth shut after the fiasco in Miami

I think Ozzie knew exactly what he was doing in the Miami fiasco, so I doubt he learned anything from it.

HomeFish
11-03-2013, 05:26 AM
And the Tigers new manager is...Brad Ausmus

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/eye-on-baseball/24177157/report-tigers-to-name-brad-ausmus-new-manager

roylestillman
11-03-2013, 05:30 AM

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/eye-on-baseball/24177157/report-tigers-to-name-brad-ausmus-new-manager

Well there goes Dave Kaplan's second choice as Cubbie manager.

dickallen15
11-03-2013, 05:43 AM

A no experience guy. Of course many of the people who complained about that when the Sox hired Ventura, and still complain now,including the poster who said he knew high school coaches more qualified, will say it is totally different.

DumpJerry
11-03-2013, 08:28 AM

Not true!!!! "Sources" have been telling Chicago sports talk radio people all week that Ausmus has been busy picking out which tie to wear to the press conference at Wrigley announcing his taking the helm of the Cubs.

I'm sure some of these sources are "bloggers," and we all know they are more reliable than a Tarot Card Reader.......

Brian26
11-03-2013, 09:02 AM
Well there goes Dave Kaplan's second choice as Cubbie manager.

:rolling:

They can't hire Sveum back since he signed with KC.

amsteel
11-03-2013, 09:07 AM
I'm still gonna go all conspiracy theory here: the Tigers are a playoff ready team and the favorites to win the division for likely the next 2 years...and the best they can do is Brad Ausmus?

amsteel
11-03-2013, 09:10 AM
A no experience guy. Of course many of the people who complained about that when the Sox hired Ventura, and still complain now,including the poster who said he knew high school coaches more qualified, will say it is totally different.

Strictly not no experience, he managed Team Israel in the WBC qualifiers.

Insert WBC joke here.

asindc
11-03-2013, 09:54 AM
I'm still gonna go all conspiracy theory here: the Tigers are a playoff ready team and the favorites to win the division for likely the next 2 years...and the best they can do is Brad Ausmus?

So what is the conspiracy?

happydude
11-03-2013, 10:53 AM
So what is the conspiracy?

The league is colluding to allow Boston/New York an easier path to the Series? That's all I could come up with.

TDog
11-03-2013, 11:02 AM
...I'm sure some of these sources are "bloggers," and we all know they are more reliable than a Tarot Card Reader.......

Probably not. Bloggers generally don't have access to sources could be seriously trusted or the training and experience to know and develop them if they were to stumble on to such access.

As for Ausmus, I think it's interesting that the Tigers would go Leyland to a manager with no experience. I have long believed that managerial experience was overrated. I'm certainly not surprised the Tigers didn't go after Dusty Baker.

slavko
11-03-2013, 11:32 AM

Waiting for the "going cheap" posters here to beat up Illich. Got to say I'm as surprised as I've ever been. The guy must be a dynamite interview. Plus they must be figuring that the opposite choice, Leyland, couldn't get them to Point C.

DumpJerry
11-03-2013, 11:52 AM
Probably not. Bloggers generally don't have access to sources could be seriously trusted or the training and experience to know and develop them if they were to stumble on to such access.
Bloggers are the only journalists who have their fingers firmly on the pulse of what is going on. This is what we have been told.

The conspiracy, to respond to an earlier post, is to keep the Cubs job open for when Girardi comes to his senses and walks out on the Yankees for the Cubs. Who wouldn't do that?

spawn
11-03-2013, 09:05 PM
You were saying???

blandman
11-03-2013, 10:31 PM

Patently false. Working on the internet does not preclude one from both having a degree in journalism or networking legitimate connections.

TDog
11-04-2013, 12:08 AM
Patently false. Working on the internet does not preclude one from both having a degree in journalism or networking legitimate connections.

Working on the Internet also does not require any responsibility.

blandman
11-04-2013, 01:00 AM
Working on the Internet also does not require any responsibility.

Once again, patently false. This is a lie tactic used by the old guard to undermine the internet as a news source.

I'm happy not to have this conversation, but if you're going to continue to be-smudge internet journalists on the premise that they're somehow inferior because their job is on the internet, I'm going to call out your lies every time.

russ99
11-04-2013, 08:37 AM

Ausmus is well regarded as a managerial candidate, despite his lack of experience. I'm surprised the Astros didn't give him a shot last offseason.

TDog
11-04-2013, 08:56 AM
Once again, patently false. This is a lie tactic used by the old guard to undermine the internet as a news source.

I'm happy not to have this conversation, but if you're going to continue to be-smudge internet journalists on the premise that they're somehow inferior because their job is on the internet, I'm going to call out your lies every time.

I don't know how happy you are. The last time you started this, you insulted me and before I could respond shut down the thread forbidden political statements that had no contact with the reality I was discussing.

At this point, I really don't care if you want to call me a liar because I know how to consider a source.

blandman
11-04-2013, 09:11 AM
I don't know how happy you are. The last time you started this, you insulted me and before I could respond shut down the thread forbidden political statements that had no contact with the reality I was discussing.

At this point, I really don't care if you want to call me a liar because I know how to consider a source.

You don't think your point of view is insulting to people who work on the internet?

Let me tell you, I have lots of friends who are journalists. Most work on the internet now, and almost all of them have blogs. The one that still works in print for a Chicago newspaper is EMBARRASSED that it's the only work he can find. I know that in your time things were different, but today working in print is not something to aspire to. Print is dying, and it's not only because the internet exists. It's because of who controls the print.

SBSoxFan
11-04-2013, 09:16 AM
Waiting for the "going cheap" posters here to beat up Illich. Got to say I'm as surprised as I've ever been. The guy must be a dynamite interview. Plus they must be figuring that the opposite choice, Leyland, couldn't get them to Point C.

I've been thinking something similar. Did Detroit want someone else because Leyland could not get them to point C, a la Doug Collins and the Bulls? Or did Leyland realize he had a team who couldn't get to point C, and, considering his age, etc. decided to leave?

It's becoming apparent that Detroit only has two players who excel in the playoffs - Peralta and Verlander. Cabrera becomes merely mortal, and Scherzer, well, Leyland would have had to let him pitch more to tell.

TDog
11-04-2013, 03:46 PM
You don't think your point of view is insulting to people who work on the internet?

Let me tell you, I have lots of friends who are journalists. Most work on the internet now, and almost all of them have blogs. The one that still works in print for a Chicago newspaper is EMBARRASSED that it's the only work he can find. I know that in your time things were different, but today working in print is not something to aspire to. Print is dying, and it's not only because the internet exists. It's because of who controls the print.

I shouldn't respond, but I was responsible for posting Internet stories at two newspapers and subordinate in the task at another. I hold the Internet to the same standards I hold newspapers, radio and television. My views are offensive only to people who lack ethical standards.

If you want to get into a discussion about why print is dying and who is killing it and who is benefitting from the death of serious journalism, there are political aspect that would require such a discussion be held elsewhere.

Chez
11-04-2013, 05:49 PM
You were saying???

Well, Ausmus did serve two tours of duty as the Tigers catcher!

Oblong
11-18-2013, 01:11 PM
There's no conspiracy. For the last few years Leyland's operated under a 1 year contract, he says it was his choice, who knows... but this isn't a big surprise to me. He's very straightforward.

As for Ausmus... who else are you going to get? I like it as a Tiger fan. There's no other obvious candidate. If this happened a year ago then Francona would be the manager. All you have to do is look at the World Series teams.

blandman
11-18-2013, 01:36 PM
There's no conspiracy. For the last few years Leyland's operated under a 1 year contract, he says it was his choice, who knows... but this isn't a big surprise to me. He's very straightforward.

As for Ausmus... who else are you going to get? I like it as a Tiger fan. There's no other obvious candidate. If this happened a year ago then Francona would be the manager. All you have to do is look at the World Series teams.

Catchers do make good coaches, usually.