PDA

View Full Version : Peavy with another quality outing

Irishsox1
10-17-2013, 02:42 PM
With Jake's awesome performance yesterday his playoff era is only 10.31.

So glad the White Sox dumped this guy. He seemed to always struggle at key moments with the Sox, especially during the second half of 2012 when he went 0-6 vs KC and Detroit.

Boston Globe (http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2013/10/17/jake-peavy-less-than-stellar-latest-postseason-start/bS6u2Hwlz4YVnc0VNsOumO/story.html)

thomas35forever
10-17-2013, 03:51 PM
Duh.

amsteel
10-17-2013, 06:05 PM
What he lacks in crunch time production he makes up for in sound bites about being tough.

JB98
10-18-2013, 02:06 PM
I've never understood the Peavy hate here. He's a good pitcher. He just can't stay healthy.

So many Chicago fans want "fire and passion" from ballplayers, and then when they have player who wears his emotions on his sleeve, they complain that he "talks too much." It's ridiculous. I don't give a **** what a player says in the media one way or the other.

Red Barchetta
10-18-2013, 02:34 PM
I wish Peavy was wearing a White Sox uniform and we were talking about his high ERA during this postseason.

I like the guy. I hope he get a ring. I just hate rooting for Boston. :?:

Boondock Saint
10-18-2013, 02:38 PM
I've never understood the Peavy hate here. He's a good pitcher. He just can't stay healthy.

So many Chicago fans want "fire and passion" from ballplayers, and then when they have player who wears his emotions on his sleeve, they complain that he "talks too much." It's ridiculous. I don't give a **** what a player says in the media one way or the other.

I wish Peavy was wearing a White Sox uniform and we were talking about his high ERA during this postseason.

I like the guy. I hope he get a ring. I just hate rooting for Boston. :?:

My feelings exactly.

SI1020
10-18-2013, 02:57 PM
Sorry, he just rubbed me the wrong way. I guess I'm hopelessly out of date. I like Gary Cooper kind of guys that just do it. If you're going to toot your horn then "guarantee it" like Joe Namath or back it up (sometimes in the exact round) like Ali did. Besides, how much grief did Javier Vazquez get? Peavy earned a little bit of it for not showing up when it counts the most.

spawn
10-18-2013, 03:17 PM

Thank you. I never understood the hate either.

happydude
10-18-2013, 03:51 PM

I don't think anyone hates him. I think people resent the fact that his actual performance on the mound leaves something to be desired and, thus, would prefer he said little or nothing at all. Personally, I doubt he's any more "passionate" or "desperate to win" than any other professional athlete. His comments aren't boastful so what he says is no big deal to me one way or the other but I can see why guys get sick of hearing it after a while.

Boondock Saint
10-18-2013, 04:00 PM
I don't think anyone hates him. I think people resent the fact that his actual performance on the mound leaves something to be desired and, thus, would prefer he said little or nothing at all. Personally, I doubt he's any more "passionate" or "desperate to win" than any other professional athlete. His comments aren't boastful so what he says is no big deal to me one way or the other but I can see why guys get sick of hearing it after a while.

He was a big acquisition, and the media was drawn to him because of it, as well as the fact that the only other guy in the locker room who was any good for a quote on anything was Ozzie. Fans would have called him an ******* if every newspaper article printed about the Sox had a Jake Peavy "No comment" attached to it.

happydude
10-18-2013, 04:07 PM
He was a big acquisition, and the media was drawn to him because of it, as well as the fact that the only other guy in the locker room who was any good for a quote on anything was Ozzie. Fans would have called him an ******* if every newspaper article printed about the Sox had a Jake Peavy "No comment" attached to it.

They probably would have. But there's likely a middle ground between "no comment" and fire and brimstone quotes about "effort" and "desire" or whatever.

Honestly I can only recall the gist of what he says as opposed to specifics because I don't care what any athlete says; only what he does. And its what Peavy didn't do here and very recently in Boston that's the real driving factor in guys mocking him. But mocking him isn't hate; its just a natural response that many have to anyone who says ANYTHING and then doesn't produce.

Sports fans are rarely forgiving to the non-performer. I think his comments have been pretty benign overall but its no big mystery to me why guys rip Jake.

Irishsox1
10-18-2013, 04:20 PM
The reason why I posted it wasn't my hatred of Peavy the person. I didn't hate the guy, I just didn't buy his "tough county boy act".

The Sox traded a lot of players for the guy, signed him to a big contract, he told us that he was tough, talked a lot on the mound bringing attention to himself and then when you need him to pitch like an ace, he can't make it out of the third inning.

The last player the Sox had that reminded me of Peavy was Nick Swisher.

Boondock Saint
10-18-2013, 04:21 PM
They probably would have. But there's likely a middle ground between "no comment" and fire and brimstone quotes about "effort" and "desire" or whatever.

Honestly I can only recall the gist of what he says as opposed to specifics because I don't care what any athlete says; only what he does. And its what Peavy didn't do here and very recently in Boston that's the real driving factor in guys mocking him. But mocking him isn't hate; its just a natural response that many have to anyone who says ANYTHING and then doesn't produce.

Sports fans are rarely forgiving to the non-performer. I think his comments have been pretty benign overall but its no big mystery to me why guys rip Jake.

Here's the thing- Peavy never made these bombastic, outrageous quotes about being a bulldog, or anything silly like that. He just said the same thing that any guy who's on the shelf in any sport would say about how badly he wants to be back on the field. All of the attitude that's been added onto those quotes is coming from the people who want to hate him for no other reason than "**** Jake Peavy".

The Immigrant
10-18-2013, 04:24 PM

I don't know, maybe it was the 800 times he called himself a bulldog or talked about his will to win. Some people get tired of hearing that kind of stuff, or they get the wrong impression about a guy. He was an above average pitcher in his time with the White Sox but he did not live up to our expectations, and as a result there's a fair amount of Sox fans who think of him as "all hat, no cattle." I don't really blame them. I'm greatful that he brought us Avisail Garcia in return, but I'm also glad that someone else is paying him.

SI1020
10-18-2013, 07:09 PM
I don't think anyone hates him. I think people resent the fact that his actual performance on the mound leaves something to be desired and, thus, would prefer he said little or nothing at all. Personally, I doubt he's any more "passionate" or "desperate to win" than any other professional athlete. His comments aren't boastful so what he says is no big deal to me one way or the other but I can see why guys get sick of hearing it after a while. Thank you.

Brian26
10-18-2013, 09:52 PM
I don't think anybody hates him. He just didn't live up to his billing on the mound. I like him a lot, but I never felt confident in him going in a big game like, say, Freddy Garcia in 2005 or Bartolo Colon in 2003, two of Kenny's other blockbuster pitching acquisitions.

Jake made a ton of money with the Sox to be a good, but not great, pitcher, which unfortunately completely tied their hands in other areas.

RadioheadRocks
10-18-2013, 10:50 PM

Fire and passion are well and good, but you better be able to back it up, and that's why you see all the Peavy hate here. I've said it before and I'll say it again... if he pitched with his mouth, he'd be Cy Mother****ing Young.

WLL1855
10-19-2013, 12:28 AM
Fire and passion are well and good, but you better be able to back it up, and that's why you see all the Peavy hate here. I've said it before and I'll say it again... if he pitched with his mouth, he'd be Cy Mother****ing Young.

I guess we can go back to the Navarro years and you'll be happy, right?

The guy came here, had an unprecendented injury to recover from, and was decent but not great afterwards.

I call it bad luck. I don't think the guy ever tried to fail or attempted to make someone else the goat for his efforts. For the people who chafed at the so called "Country Boy Jake" personality he exhibited, well that's your problem. I care what happens on the bump.

RadioheadRocks
10-19-2013, 05:36 AM
I guess we can go back to the Navarro years and you'll be happy, right?

:rolleyes:

SCCWS
10-19-2013, 09:14 AM
The reason why I posted it wasn't my hatred of Peavy the person. I didn't hate the guy, I just didn't buy his "tough county boy act".

The Sox traded a lot of players for the guy, signed him to a big contract, he told us that he was tough, talked a lot on the mound bringing attention to himself and then when you need him to pitch like an ace, he can't make it out of the third inning.

The last player the Sox had that reminded me of Peavy was Nick Swisher.

Peavy was 4-1 in August and September for Boston in their pennant drive. That is not terrible for their #4 starter. He obviosuly stunk in game 4 against Detroit but pitched very well in game 4 against Tampa. Obviously here in Chicago he was looked on as our #1 then after Sale emerged #2 starter. At this point in his career he is not that. But Boston having him as a 3 or 4 next year is probably a good fit.

JB98
10-19-2013, 01:32 PM

LOL at all the posts earlier in the thread where people said "nobody hates Peavy." If this post isn't Peavy hate, what is?

And BTW, Peavy pitched well for the Sox. He just couldn't stay healthy. This whole "not being able to back it up" thing is a myth. I'm not sure Peavy ever said anything that was all that boastful in the first place. Some of you are acting like Jake guaranteed us a World Series championship or something.

Maybe people had unreasonable expectations. Maybe people thought they were getting 2007 Cy Young Jake Peavy. He was never going to regain that form with all the injuries he had. But he was an effective pitcher for the Sox when healthy, especially in 2012 and this year. He met my expectations. I'm sorry if he didn't meet yours. Be more realistic next time.

Peavy pitched well for the Red Sox in the Tampa Bay series. Nobody started a thread about that. He pitched poorly against Detroit, and here were are with this thread. Wonder why.

TaylorStSox
10-19-2013, 02:16 PM
I hate when people bring their football fan mentality to baseball. There's a reason I don't follow football.

Peavy's a tough guy. Anybody who comes back from those injuries is tough. Unfortunately, toughness has nothing to do with hanging a slider and watching it travel 410 feet.

Steelrod
10-19-2013, 02:23 PM
I wish Peavy nothing but the best! He gave full effort in a White Sox uniform, which is all we can ask for.

Brian26
10-19-2013, 02:45 PM
Maybe people had unreasonable expectations. Maybe people thought they were getting 2007 Cy Young Jake Peavy. He was never going to regain that form with all the injuries he had. But he was an effective pitcher for the Sox when healthy, especially in 2012 and this year. He met my expectations. I'm sorry if he didn't meet yours. Be more realistic next time.

The problem is that Peavy was making Cy Young money and was acquired to be the #1 starter in the rotation. He made $15 million in 2010, $16 million in 2011, and $17 million in 2012. That's more money than any other Sox starter has been paid. His salary is one of the reasons the Sox let Buehrle go and could not re-sign Pierzynski. On top of that, the Sox gave up at the time a huge haul for him (irregardless if those guys panned out with San Diego). The emergence of Sale was a nice surprise, if not accident, to be #1 starter, but Peavy was acquired to be the guy. When you talk about expectations, what I just spelled out is fairly reasonable. It just did not happen.

ChiSoxGal85
10-19-2013, 03:23 PM
I like Peavy and wish him nothing but the best. He tore his freakin' lat muscle off the bone, and then tried to come back too soon from the injury. Once he fully healed up, he was a decent pitcher. He had a bit of bumpy run in his career with the White Sox, but it was not from lack of effort. And he never said anything that IMHO wasn't just a little competitive jawing, which doesn't bother me in the least.

SI1020
10-19-2013, 04:30 PM
Has anybody here ever experienced or witnessed real hate? In all its frightening intensity? This is criticism in varying degrees. Other Sox players, even some really good ones have been subject to much worse on this board. If Peavy gets to experience what Keith Foulke did in 2004 I'll be happy for him.

happydude
10-19-2013, 05:10 PM
Has anybody here ever experienced or witnessed real hate? In all its frightening intensity? This is criticism in varying degrees. Other Sox players, even some really good ones have been subject to much worse on this board. If Peavy gets to experience what Keith Foulke did in 2004 I'll be happy for him.

This is how I'd characterize it also. "Hate" has become an overused term almost to the extent "great" and "superstar" have. In certain cases, it represents an attempt to silence valid criticism or disagreement.

On the other hand, if the disagreement or criticism includes unnecessarily personal remarks, name calling and overuse of expletives for example, then it invites the application of the term.

DSpivack
10-19-2013, 05:39 PM
The problem is that Peavy was making Cy Young money and was acquired to be the #1 starter in the rotation. He made $15 million in 2010, $16 million in 2011, and $17 million in 2012. That's more money than any other Sox starter has been paid. His salary is one of the reasons the Sox let Buehrle go and could not re-sign Pierzynski. On top of that, the Sox gave up at the time a huge haul for him (irregardless if those guys panned out with San Diego). The emergence of Sale was a nice surprise, if not accident, to be #1 starter, but Peavy was acquired to be the guy. When you talk about expectations, what I just spelled out is fairly reasonable. It just did not happen.

John Danks gets paid nearly as much. If Peavy was a failure what does that make Danks?!

TaylorStSox
10-19-2013, 06:42 PM
John Danks gets paid nearly as much. If Peavy was a failure what does that make Danks?!

A pitcher 1 year removed from shoulder surgery.

Brian26
10-19-2013, 08:00 PM

Hopefully we can talk about it positively after the 2016 season.

Boondock Saint
10-19-2013, 08:07 PM

How is this any different from what Peavy went through? He came here on an injury, pitched a half a season before needing unprecedented shoulder surgery, had a bad year being 1 year removed from shoulder surgery, then pitched a respectable season and a half for us before getting traded.

happydude
10-20-2013, 04:10 AM
How is this any different from what Peavy went through? He came here on an injury, pitched a half a season before needing unprecedented shoulder surgery, had a bad year being 1 year removed from shoulder surgery, then pitched a respectable season and a half for us before getting traded.

Agreed. And if Danks doesn't perform in the near future then, yes, he can be considered a failure based on the expectations that existed when he signed his deal. Equivocating between the two situations only lends credence to JB98's assertion that certain individuals "hate" Peavy.

Either a guy performs or he doesn't; the reason why he doesn't perform, whether it be related to injury or some other issue, is meaningless in the general scheme of things except to the player himself and, perhaps, the organization paying him.

SCCWS
10-20-2013, 09:23 AM

A career sub .500 pitcher w an ERA of 4.15 before shoulder surgery

Tragg
10-20-2013, 09:53 AM
Danks and Peavy have that similarity...their peripherals look better than they actually produced. And they were both way overpaid for what they produced.

TaylorStSox
10-20-2013, 01:17 PM
A career sub .500 pitcher w an ERA of 4.15 before shoulder surgery

Yes, the most important stats.:rolleyes:

SI1020
10-20-2013, 01:23 PM
Yes, the most important stats.:rolleyes: Same to you. :rolleyes: There are plenty of stats out there to show that Danks has been nothing special after showing early promise. Believe it or not if baseball still exists in a century people will still consider the older un hip stats when judging a player.

TheVulture
10-20-2013, 03:28 PM
I like Peavy and appreciate his bulldog mentality, but Peavy for Garcia = highway robbery.

SCCWS
10-20-2013, 04:57 PM
Yes, the most important stats.:rolleyes:

You may not like ERA, but every playoff team this season has an ERA below 4.00. In the NL, the top 5 teams in ERA were the 5 who made it to the playoffs.

JB98
10-20-2013, 06:13 PM
I like Peavy and appreciate his bulldog mentality, but Peavy for Garcia = highway robbery.

This, I will not disagree with. I think the Sox got their RF of the present and future for a veteran pitcher with a history of injury troubles. I liked the trade the day it was made, and I still like it now after what I've seen of Garcia.

I just think the snark with regard to Peavy is totally uncalled for. I'll also add that I agree with posters who say judge Danks after next season. I knew he would struggle this year coming off surgery. Next year will tell the tale as to whether he's going to make it back. Frankly, Danks' peripherals weren't all that bad this year. He did, however, give up some backbreaking home runs. We'll see if that continues or changes in 2014.

SoxSpeed22
10-30-2013, 11:46 PM
Congrats on your new ring, Jake.

Soxman219
10-31-2013, 12:07 AM
Congrats Jake

cws05champ
10-31-2013, 12:52 AM
Congrats Jake
and congrats to Matt Thornton as well!