PDA

View Full Version : Your Morale as a White Sox Fan

Viva Magglio
08-06-2002, 09:43 PM
It it at an all time low?

NUKE_CLEVELAND
08-06-2002, 10:04 PM
I'm at the point now where I only really pay any attention when Burhle or Garland is pitching. These other jackasses are just out there throwing BP for the other team.

TornLabrum
08-06-2002, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!

I sat through that 1970 season. 106 losses. Less than 500,000 total attendance. Home games played in Milwaukee. That was the absolute worst...especially with the Cubs in first place until August.

:reinsy

"I'm doing everything in my power to erase that memory."

baggio202
08-06-2002, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by TornLabrum

I sat through that 1970 season. 106 losses. Less than 500,000 total attendance. Home games played in Milwaukee. That was the absolute worst...especially with the Cubs in first place until August.

that was my first season as a baseball fan..9 years old....where have you gone duane josephson???

WinningUgly!
08-06-2002, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!

I hit rock bottom about a month ago. I don't know how anyone can get too high or low about anything at this point.

PaleHoseGeorge
08-06-2002, 10:51 PM
My low point was June 30, 1988. I came home from Old Comiskey listening to WMAQ and they were saying the Sox new stadium deal was kaput. I went to bed certain I had just witnessed my last Sox game.

Surprise! They passed the legislation at 12:03 that morning.

I admit this season has me wondering if I wouldn't have been better off if Reinsdorf had moved.

"Hey PHG, unless Sox Fans start showing up, you aren't out of the woods yet. Bwahahahahahahaha!"

CiscoCarlos
08-06-2002, 11:00 PM
I sort of enjoyed the '70 Sox. They had some bright spots: Pineapple John Mathias managed to hit over .300 (in spring training) and Bob Elson kept on predicting "This Could Be The Year For Tom McCraw." (unfortunately, it wasn't)

I fondly remember going to the opener (The Twins nipped them 12-0) and the crowd was about 15,000 or so.

And speaking of Duane Josephson, who would think that Don Gutteridge would outlive Josie? Now, that is sad.

voodoochile
08-06-2002, 11:05 PM
Nah, I gave up on this team a month ago. At that point in time it was as low as its been in a long long time (possibly ever), but now, I just look forward to football and spring training.

duke of dorwood
08-06-2002, 11:28 PM
The team gave up before any of us did

bjmarte
08-07-2002, 12:48 AM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
The team gave up before any of us did

That is how I feel exactly.

captain54
08-07-2002, 01:09 AM
Anything that happens at this point to embarass Reinsdorf and Co. beyond comprehension, I'm all for......

This organization MUST be exposed for the atrocity and the scam that it is....

In old Wild West days, they would tar and feather the sneaky, fake medicine man who would sell bogus potions, and run him out of town....

Oh my God, for the day that Reinsdorf is run out of town on a rail...

captain54
08-07-2002, 01:15 AM

"If you guys tar and feather me, throw some up on the old chrome dome, it's getting a little thin up there, and I can't afford those new fancy hair extensions cause the crappy White Sox fans don't buy tickets to come to my beautiful stadium"

RedPinStripes
08-07-2002, 03:08 AM
This team has had much uglier years then this . I can remember the days when our up and coming stars were guys like Jose Deleon, Daryl Boston, Steve Lyons, and KENNY ****ING WILLIAMS! At least there are a good 4 or 5 guys in the minors to look forward to.

RedPinStripes
08-07-2002, 03:18 AM
And lets not leave our MR. puke on the mound from chewing too much tobacco. Adam Peterson. He was the worst Sox pitcher i've ever seen.

No-Neck
08-07-2002, 10:53 AM
We're trying to figure out (Southshore train Sox fans, all 3 of us) who was the Latin pitcher for the Sox 15+ years ago whose tongue used to go in and out like a serpent during his wind-up. He had an afro and didn't last very long in the majors, I think he was a lefty. The old-timers on the Board probalbly know this one off-hand. Thanks in advance.

CubKilla
08-07-2002, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by TornLabrum

That's bad. Thank God I wasn't born until 1974. But after this season, my morale is at an all-time low. I really don't think it is going to get any better anytime soon either. From what I hear, none of the highly touted prospects are ready for ML ball yet. This team has an incompetant owner, with an ABSOLUTELY incompetant GM, coached by an incompetant (Cooper not counted..... YET) coaching staff. And we're rebuilding AGAIN. Pathetic..... Boy! I'm really looking forward to SOXFEST and 2003! NOT!!!!!

KingXerxes
08-07-2002, 11:18 AM
I have to admit that even though my morale is low on this team, it's not as low as the late very late 60's when I was certain the White Sox were headed to Milwaukee. They were broadcast on UHF, and Jack Drees would just put you to sleep by about the 4th inning - but they did bounce back quickly and in the early 70's they gave Oakland a pretty good run.

This year's edition is almost comical and getting funnier as the year goes on.

SI1020
08-07-2002, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by No-Neck
We're trying to figure out (Southshore train Sox fans, all 3 of us) who was the Latin pitcher for the Sox 15+ years ago whose tongue used to go in and out like a serpent during his wind-up. He had an afro and didn't last very long in the majors, I think he was a lefty. The old-timers on the Board probalbly know this one off-hand. Thanks in advance. Would that be Juan Agosto?

KingXerxes
08-07-2002, 03:20 PM
Take your pick No-Neck:

1. Cy Acosta
2. Juan Agosto
3. Salome Barojas
4. Franciso Barrios
5. Nardi Contreras
6. Eddie Correa
7. Jose DeLeon
8. Ernesto Escarrega
9. Ravelo Mazanillo
10. Melido Perez
11. Jose Segura
12. Pable Torrealba

and any others I may have forgotten.

delben91
08-07-2002, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by KingXerxes

5. Nardi Contreras

Sorry, but I just got the image of the current day Nardi going to the mound to talk with a pitcher, but with an afro...LOL!

KingXerxes
08-07-2002, 03:31 PM
Yeah - a lot of us will never forget the great year Nardi Contreras had in 1980. If I remember correctly (and I should because I'm looking right at his numbers), Nardi appeared in 8 games pitching a total of 13 and 2/3 innings. He yielded 18 hits and 9 earned runs. But it wasn't his pitching that brought the White Sox fans out in that year of Ronald Reagan's initial ascension into this land's highest office - Nay it was his devilish good looks and his cosmic aura which tended to drive the fair ladies of our beloved south side faint with lust, and the men raging with envy.

:nardi

"I was something back then wasn't i?"

No-Neck
08-07-2002, 03:35 PM
:) King Xerxes, there sure were a lot of great arms passing through 35th and Shields during our lifetime, huh?

I don't know which is scarier: me, for wanting to know such trivia, or you, for remembering so many pathetic excuses for major league pitchers.

Thanks buddy,

Juan Agosto is correct!

KingXerxes
08-07-2002, 03:38 PM
No-Neck,

My personal favorite was Escarrega. I honestly don't think he threw the ball harder than 55 mph. He amazed me on every single pitch, because none he ever threw looked like they had the velocity to travel 45 feet - let alone cross home plate.