PDA

View Full Version : Girardi Staying Put..

ZombieRob
10-09-2013, 04:38 PM
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/breaking/chi-chicago-cubs-joe-girardi-20131009,0,6523795.story

asindc
10-09-2013, 04:56 PM
The thread title reads like a plea.

LITTLE NELL
10-09-2013, 04:59 PM
Girardi is a very smart man.

Boondock Saint
10-09-2013, 05:07 PM

I thought it sounded like a caveman headline.

PatK
10-09-2013, 05:30 PM
This has to be a blow to the local media that has been acting like it was a 100% lock he was coming here.

Boondock Saint
10-09-2013, 05:40 PM
This has to be a blow to the local media that has been acting like it was a 100% lock he was coming here.

I know it's suspect to say things like this after the fact, but I always thought it was a pretty silly thing to think that Girardi would leave the Yankees for the Cubs, especially in their current state. Potentially being a lame duck in Yankee pinstripes is an infinitely better position to be in than as savior of the month for the most perpetually failing franchise in sports history.

DumpJerry
10-09-2013, 06:03 PM
Not sure why this was in Whats the Score. It's not about the Cubs and it's not a rumor.

I did not know, however, that Mr. Girardi was a dog until I saw the thread title. What breed is he?

soltrain21
10-09-2013, 06:07 PM
Girardi is a very smart man.

I would consider him pretty smart even if he decided to leave. And let's not act like the Yankees are going in the right direction.

Brian26
10-09-2013, 07:36 PM

Yep, Dave Kaplan is in full-retreat mode right now. Last week Girardi was a lock for the Cubs, today "as everyone expected, Girardi resigns with the Yankees."

spawn
10-09-2013, 07:43 PM

I thought it sounded like a caveman headline.

I've updated the thread title.

spawn
10-09-2013, 07:45 PM
I know it's suspect to say things like this after the fact, but I always thought it was a pretty silly thing to think that Girardi would leave the Yankees for the Cubs, especially in their current state. Potentially being a lame duck in Yankee pinstripes is an infinitely better position to be in than as savior of the month for the most perpetually failing franchise in sports history.
I actually thought the same thing. I didn't think there was any way the Yankees would let him go.

Whitesox029
10-09-2013, 09:01 PM
His decision kind of reminds me of this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNjcuZ-LiSY

thomas35forever
10-09-2013, 11:06 PM
So many people have egg on their faces now. Why were people so certain he'd pull up stake and head to the North Side?

Golden Sox
10-10-2013, 08:07 AM
Maybe the Cubs will bring back there College of Coaches. In the early 1960's the Cubs came up with a new concept, the College of Coaches. They had numerous coaches on the team. Each coach became the manager for a couple of weeks and then another coach took over as manager. They basically had a revolving door of managers. Former Cubs player Don Zimmer asked to traded from the team, which they did. He said recently it was the craziest thing he had ever witnessed in his long career in baseball.

Risk
10-10-2013, 10:23 AM
Maybe the Cubs will bring back there College of Coaches. In the early 1960's the Cubs came up with a new concept, the College of Coaches. They had numerous coaches on the team. Each coach became the manager for a couple of weeks and then another coach took over as manager. They basically had a revolving door of managers. Former Cubs player Don Zimmer asked to traded from the team, which they did. He said recently it was the craziest thing he had ever witnessed in his long career in baseball.

The whole thing just sounds bizarre. Even more so is that the fools actually put it in practice.

Risk

slavko
10-10-2013, 10:41 AM
Mr. Wrigley, who was a nice man, didn't like the idea of firing managers so he came up with the idea. At least that's what I recall.

DeadMoney
10-10-2013, 01:29 PM
Girardi is not a stupid man. The Cubs job will probably still be available in 3-4 years and he'll likely have another opportunity to come to Chicago at that time (his kids will be a bit older, circumstances will undoubtedly have changed in NY - in some way or another). It's not like that Cubs ship is going anywhere anytime soon (see the teams in Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, and St. Louis for the teams that will be going places in the next 5 years; "2015" my ass).