PDA

View Full Version : Rangers v. Rays in Game 163 -- Nelson Cruz to play

Chez
09-30-2013, 04:11 PM
http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20130929&content_id=62127582&notebook_id=62129248&vkey=notebook_tex&c_id=tex

Rangers have activated Nelson Cruz for tonight's tie-breaker game. I guess he has done his time, but this bothers me a little.

This should be a great game. Cruz notwithstanding, I'm rooting for A.J., Rios, Cotts and the Rangers.

PaleHoser
09-30-2013, 04:45 PM
Give me the Rays and send the cheater home.

TheVulture
09-30-2013, 04:52 PM
The players should be banned from postseason play in any season in which they've received a suspension. This is a joke, pretty much amounts to a slap on the wrist if he can come back now.

amsteel
09-30-2013, 05:20 PM
12K tickets still available as of this afternoon.

Rangers fans are not the best, but I can't blame them here. One game against Tampa for the right to play one more game in Cleveland for the right to go on the road to play the best team in the AL.

Would I go? Hell yeah. But I can understand the lack of interest.

TDog
09-30-2013, 06:07 PM
Last season the Giants didn't reactivate Cabrera when he was eligible to return in the postseason. That was a postseason roster, but it was clear when he was suspended that he would never play for Giants again. The Rangers shouldn't be playing Cruz even if technically his suspension is completed.

Just one more reason to hate the Rangers Having Rios in a Rangers uniform is another. Everyone but White Sox and Rangers fans will probably hate the Rangers most of all because Pierzysnki is on the team.

PaleHoser
09-30-2013, 06:19 PM

Rangers fans are not the best, but I can't blame them here. One game against Tampa for the right to play one more game in Cleveland for the right to go on the road to play the best team in the AL.

I wonder if Bud will notice.

amsteel
09-30-2013, 06:22 PM
I wonder if Bud will notice.

\Cut to MLB HQ...

http://blog.twowholecakes.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/scrooge-mcduck.jpg

I think he'll be OK.

eastchicagosoxfan
09-30-2013, 07:29 PM
De Aza picked off.

Sorry, it's a babit. Andrus picked off by Price.

Brian26
09-30-2013, 07:31 PM
Is this game on national television?

SephClone89
09-30-2013, 07:35 PM
Is this game on national television?

TBS has the rights to all tiebreakers, wild card, and LDS games (besides two that they give to MLBN)...plus this year's ALCS

EDIT:

That's through this year. Starting next year the playoff situation becomes a lot more convoluted on TV--TBS is losing a decent amount of rights. Only one Wild Card game, one league's LDS series and one LCS. ESPN will get the other wild card game, while FOX takes the other league's LDS series (probably to be broadcast at least in part on FS1, plus two that they give to MLBN) in addition to keeping one LCS and the WS.

Brian26
09-30-2013, 07:57 PM
TBS has the rights to all tiebreakers, wild card, and LDS games (besides two that they give to MLBN)...plus this year's ALCS

Thanks.

Zakath
09-30-2013, 08:56 PM
Rays could really bust this thing open. 4-1 top of the sixth, bases loaded, two outs.

doublem23
09-30-2013, 09:07 PM
Rios just murdered that ball, I have no idea how it stayed in the yard

Texas cuts the deficit to 2.

CoopaLoop
09-30-2013, 09:07 PM
Thought Rios put that one way out. Things just got interesting.

doublem23
09-30-2013, 09:10 PM

I'm not sure how many tickets ended up being sold tonight, but this is a very good, active crowd. Better to have 30,000 fans who are into it (IMO) than 40,000 people sitting on their hands. Reminds me a lot of the Blackout Game for the Sox, not a ton of time to get all the tickets out to the corporate suits and ****, just fans at the park watching a do-or-die game.

doublem23
09-30-2013, 09:10 PM
Stunned that AJ didn't throw his helmet down after getting buzzsawed like that

doublem23
09-30-2013, 09:15 PM
I like the Pitch Trax graphic, I really do, but does it need to be up the entire at bat?

Brian26
09-30-2013, 09:17 PM

Funny though. They showed a sign in the Texas crowd at the end of the game yesterday, something to the effect "it's great to live in a BASEBALL town!"

Edit - just found it

http://www.dallasnews.com/incoming/20130929-ns_29rangersfansc.jpg.ece/ALTERNATES/w320/NS_29RangersfansC.jpg

doublem23
09-30-2013, 09:30 PM
He didn't catch that ball. Jesus Christ, umps.

Not even close. Holy ****.

amsteel
09-30-2013, 09:33 PM
Robots and lasers, plz. The best thing that can happen to baseball is umpires making bad calls in big games.

soxnut1018
09-30-2013, 09:34 PM
http://blog.zap2it.com/pop2it/admiral-ackbar-ole-miss-bigger.jpg

CoopaLoop
09-30-2013, 09:38 PM
Why didn't trap calls ever get approved. I thought it was voted in for review?

amsteel
09-30-2013, 09:39 PM
I'm not sure how many tickets ended up being sold tonight, but this is a very good, active crowd. Better to have 30,000 fans who are into it (IMO) than 40,000 people sitting on their hands. Reminds me a lot of the Blackout Game for the Sox, not a ton of time to get all the tickets out to the corporate suits and ****, just fans at the park watching a do-or-die game.

It's admittedly filled in since first pitch when the UD corners were vacant.

They're just lucky the Cowboys aren't on MNF.

Railsplitter
09-30-2013, 09:49 PM

Given Arlington is halfway between Dallas and Fort Worth, I'm inclined to believe there needs to a be some advance planning to go to a game.

amsteel
09-30-2013, 09:57 PM
LOL @ bunt call down by 2 w/ one out in the 8th.

amsteel
09-30-2013, 09:58 PM
Given Arlington is halfway between Dallas and Fort Worth, I'm inclined to believe there needs to a be some advance planning to go to a game.

Having been to Rangers Ballpark and going to Cowboys Stadium Saturday, it is a ridiculous pain in the ass, especially if you need a DD.

Zakath
09-30-2013, 10:08 PM
Wow, big error by Scheppers after he was caught napping by Fuld.

ChicagoG19
09-30-2013, 10:10 PM
He didn't catch that ball. Jesus Christ, umps.

Not even close. Holy ****.

Hopefully the bad call ultimately ends up not meaning much. I hate it when umpires become the story of a game.

Zakath
09-30-2013, 10:16 PM
On to Cleveland for the Rays. Sorry, AJ and Alex.

Pretty much a gem from Price.

amsteel
09-30-2013, 10:17 PM
Easy fellas, you won a trip to Cleveland. But I guess you have to act excited when MLB needs you to sell tshirts and hats.

God damn, Price is an ace.

amsteel
09-30-2013, 10:22 PM
If it wasn't for 08 I'd like the Rays a lot more. That and Maddon.

Soxman219
09-30-2013, 10:24 PM
Rays might as well pack for Boston.

Viva Medias B's
09-30-2013, 10:25 PM
:wills
Here's hoping you enjoyed the broadcast. I KNOW YOU LIKED THE OUTCOME!

CoopaLoop
09-30-2013, 10:27 PM
Joe Maddon.

--------------

Everybody else.

PaleHoser
09-30-2013, 10:28 PM
Evan Longoria is a money ballplayer. It's been a few years since we had one of those.

amsteel
09-30-2013, 10:32 PM
Evan Longoria is a money ballplayer. It's been a few years since we had one of those.

I said during the game how much I long for a 3B like Longoria. Hell I'd take a competent 3B.

DSpivack
09-30-2013, 10:32 PM
David Price is fun to watch. Hope the Rays beat Cleveland tomorrow night.

soxfan1965
09-30-2013, 10:36 PM
Feel bad for AJ and Rios. One game wild cards can be cruel, but it is an opportunity nevertheless.

LoveYourSuit
09-30-2013, 10:54 PM
You would have bet me in March that both the Rangers and Angels would fail to make the postseason this season I would have mortgage my house against that bet.

Rays, Indians, A's .

It's a small market game.

TDog
10-01-2013, 01:03 AM
You would have bet me in March that both the Rangers and Angels would fail to make the postseason this season I would have mortgage my house against that bet.

Rays, Indians, A's .

It's a small market game.

Preseason there was so much consternation about competitive balance being non-existent with all the money the Angels and Rangers had to spend.

As it turned out, the Angels were never consistently strong. Again. The Rangers had a losing record after August, really, collapses that some White Sox fans consider grounds for managerial firing.

Not that I'm disappointed.

doublem23
10-01-2013, 01:18 AM
As it turned out, the Angels were never consistently strong. Again. The Rangers had a losing record after August, really, collapses that some White Sox fans consider grounds for managerial firing.

I don't think it's just Sox fans, there are some whispers that Ron Washington is on the hot seat, right? This is 2 straight seasons the Rangers have held the division lead as late as September and two straight seasons they don't even make it to the ALDS.

Also, down 2 in the 8th, WHAT THE **** ARE YOU DOING BUNTING? Nice to see small-ball bull**** not be rewarded.

Brian26
10-01-2013, 08:43 AM
LOL @ bunt call down by 2 w/ one out in the 8th.

I believe Andrus was trying to bunt for a hit there with 1B playing back, although the call may have come from Washington because the camera panned to him right before the at bat and he whistled to the batter and 3b coach. But either way, it is a horrible call to give up an out with five outs left in your season and down by two runs. Just awful.

WhiteSox5187
10-01-2013, 08:56 AM
I believe Andrus was trying to bunt for a hit there with 1B playing back, although the call may have come from Washington because the camera panned to him right before the at bat and he whistled to the batter and 3b coach. But either way, it is a horrible call to give up an out with five outs left in your season and down by two runs. Just awful.

He was absolutely bunting for a hit. With his speed, a left handed pitcher and the first baseman playing back it wasn't a completely indefensible call but a bad call none the less.

SoxSpeed22
10-01-2013, 09:04 AM
Andrus was trying to get a hit, he tried to get that between the pitcher and second base. It took a great play from Price to save the run.

slavko
10-01-2013, 11:18 AM
Andrus was trying to get a hit, he tried to get that between the pitcher and second base. It took a great play from Price to save the run.

How could you think otherwise? A classic drag bunt with the batter running rather than making sure the bunt was down first as he would for an intended sacrifice bunt. A great bunt against a lefty pitcher who you would think finishes his follow through on the 3rd base side of the mound. But not David Price, who finishes almost square to the plate and bounces to fielding position instantly.

Maybe since no batter on the White Sox can do it we've forgotten what it looks like. (OK, De Aza once in a blue moon.)

doublem23
10-01-2013, 11:35 AM
Andrus hit .313/.369/.405 in the 2nd half of this season

TDog
10-01-2013, 01:15 PM
Andrus hit .313/.369/.405 in the 2nd half of this season

He also hit .417 while bunting this year. It's possible some of his unsuccessful attempts to bunt for a hit were scored among his sacrifices and some of his sacrifice attempts ended up as hits, but he has always looked like a player who has felt confident in bunting to get on base.

doublem23
10-01-2013, 02:46 PM
He also hit .417 while bunting this year. It's possible some of his unsuccessful attempts to bunt for a hit were scored among his sacrifices and some of his sacrifice attempts ended up as hits, but he has always looked like a player who has felt confident in bunting to get on base.

You got a link for that? Not that I doubt it, I've just never seen any site that keeps track of that number and it would be something cool to check out. Even if Andrus did bat .417 bunting, he only had 5 bunt hits all season long (http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/a/andruel01-bat.shtml#batting_situational::none). So, yes, as someone who is unobjectively opposed to smallball, I was happy to see Price make a nice play and snuff that rally.

TDog
10-01-2013, 03:38 PM
You got a link for that? Not that I doubt it, I've just never seen any site that keeps track of that number and it would be something cool to check out. Even if Andrus did bat .417 bunting, he only had 5 bunt hits all season long (http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/a/andruel01-bat.shtml#batting_situational::none). So, yes, as someone who is unobjectively opposed to smallball, I was happy to see Price make a nice play and snuff that rally.

Baseball Reference shows numbers for hit fly balls, line drives, ground balls and bunts. Such things can be deceptive. You can't look and see a player is 3-for-for in hitting with a 3-0 count and complain that the manager seldom gives him the 3-0 green light often enough because it doesn't take into account the foul balls, swings and misses and discretionary and easy takes. It's similar with the bunting numbers. There are no doubt more occasions when Andrus attempted to bunt for a hit and produced a foul ball than he bunted and successfully reached base. You also don't know what the bunting situations were, who was pitching, who was playing on the infield, where the infielders were playing, whether a hit was a defensively botched sacrifice attempt.

The number wasn't posted as an argument, but rather a suggestion that Andrus has always seemed to be a player confident that he could bunt for hits, and the fact is, his numbers would be at least slightly less impressive if you take out his bunt attempts. Often when I see a player shorten up to bunt for a hit, it tells me, and probably puts in the mind of the opposition, that the hitting might feel more confident in bunting in this at bat than swinging away.