PDA

View Full Version : Cubs Fire Sveum

Hitmen77
09-30-2013, 11:12 AM
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/chi-chicago-cubs-manager-dale-sveum-fired-20130930,0,1975349.story

doublem23
09-30-2013, 11:15 AM
All part of Theo's master plan

Chez
09-30-2013, 11:23 AM
Ozzie to the North Side?

beasly213
09-30-2013, 11:25 AM
All part of Theo's master plan

Can't wait for all the sports talk radio hosts today declaring about how great of a move this is by Master Theo and how bold he is and this is part of the vision that guarantees World Series Championships for the Cubs.

SI1020
09-30-2013, 11:26 AM
Would Girardi really take the job? I know he's a Peoria guy and Peoria has been Cub territory since forever. On another note I thought the mantra under Theo was patience. You can wait another 5 or 6 years since you've been waiting for over a hundred.

eriqjaffe
09-30-2013, 11:26 AM
For a rebuilding team, he clearly didn't do a bad enough job. Heck, he didn't even manage the worst team in Chicago!

doublem23
09-30-2013, 11:31 AM
Would Girardi really take the job? I know he's a Peoria guy and Peoria has been Cub territory since forever. On another note I thought the mantra under Theo was patience. You can wait another 5 or 6 years since you've been waiting for over a hundred.

Supposedly in the Quick Hits in the Tribune this morning, Girardi downplayed the possibility he'd manage the Cubs and seems more inclined to take a TV job if he didn't come back to New York.

I think Girardi is still highly regarded around the league and probably will be able to be picky with his next job. I could see him going the Terry Francona route, taking a year away from managing, doing some gigs on ESPN, and if something nice opens up in 2015, maybe he'll jump on that.

I just can't see him leaving the circus in the Bronx to join the circus on the North Side unless Theo can convince the Ricketts to open up the pocketbook.

blandman
09-30-2013, 11:49 AM
Supposedly in the Quick Hits in the Tribune this morning, Girardi downplayed the possibility he'd manage the Cubs and seems more inclined to take a TV job if he didn't come back to New York.

I think Girardi is still highly regarded around the league and probably will be able to be picky with his next job. I could see him going the Terry Francona route, taking a year away from managing, doing some gigs on ESPN, and if something nice opens up in 2015, maybe he'll jump on that.

I just can't see him leaving the circus in the Bronx to join the circus on the North Side unless Theo can convince the Ricketts to open up the pocketbook.

White Sox

SoxSpeed22
09-30-2013, 12:38 PM
For a team that made no progress in a rebuilding year, it is warranted. The Girardi rumors will fly in soon.

kittle42
09-30-2013, 12:45 PM
How strange. I mean, he was saddled with a pretty horrible roster. Even Connie Mack had bad seasons. Why would anyone fire a manager who had no ability at all to do much positive with his team?

Noneck
09-30-2013, 01:00 PM
Just another means of diversion to extend a hucksters honeymoon.

thomas35forever
09-30-2013, 01:07 PM
Never had a shot to succeed with them. If I were him, I'd be demanding the last two years of my life back.

white sox bill
09-30-2013, 01:11 PM
Whomever the cubs hire as manager, mark my words will go down as the next savior....kinda like Dusty, Lou etc.

SOXPHILE
09-30-2013, 01:25 PM
Can't wait for all the sports talk radio hosts today declaring about how great of a move this is by Master Theo and how bold he is and this is part of the vision that guarantees World Series Championships for the Cubs.

Ask, and you shall receive. Before I click off the radio due to B & B coming on, I listen to transition between Mac & Spiegs and them. Bernstein states in his slow, deliberate "grown up voice" that the Cubs. Are. Doing. Everything. The. Right. Way. Ha ha ha ha ! What's that supposed to mean ? How the **** would that ugly little munchkin know what or what they are not doing is the right way or not ? Idiot. The ass licking of Theo by certain media members continues as we approach the 2nd anniversary of his hiring.

Fastball23
09-30-2013, 01:31 PM
He could join the Sox as our hitting coach.

JB98
09-30-2013, 01:50 PM

I wouldn't be opposed to that. There are worse hires the Sox could make for that position. I don't think Sveum was a brilliant manager or anything, but IMO, he was set up to fail by the Cubs' front office. Castro isn't near the player they think he is. I'm still undecided about Rizzo. I think they believe he is Joey Votto. He might be Adam LaRoche.

Golden Sox
09-30-2013, 02:23 PM
I heard Theo say he wants a manager who can teach younger players how to perform better in the major leagues. Maybe he'll hire Robin Ventura as his next manager.

Hitmen77
09-30-2013, 02:24 PM

Well, he did play for the Sox once upon a time. So, he meets the first qualification for employment as a coach.

The Immigrant
09-30-2013, 04:03 PM
Well, he did play for the Sox once upon a time. So, he meets the first qualification for employment as a coach.

There are others?

kittle42
09-30-2013, 04:17 PM

There are others?

You both beat me to it.

slavko
09-30-2013, 04:37 PM
He was Ozzie's replacement when Ozzie blew his knee out, wasn't he? They were around here at about the same time.

Chez
09-30-2013, 04:43 PM
He was Ozzie's replacement when Ozzie blew his knee out, wasn't he? They were around here at about the same time.

I believe Sveum was Craig Grebeck's replacement after Grebeck got hurt. Grebeck was subbing for Ozzie who had gotten hurt earlier in the year. So Sveum was Tyler Greene.

soxfanreggie
09-30-2013, 05:44 PM
I wouldn't be opposed to that. There are worse hires the Sox could make for that position. I don't think Sveum was a brilliant manager or anything, but IMO, he was set up to fail by the Cubs' front office. Castro isn't near the player they think he is. I'm still undecided about Rizzo. I think they believe he is Joey Votto. He might be Adam LaRoche.

This. He wasn't a good manager IMO, but there was no way he was A.) going to succeed with what they through out there the last year and B.) stick around once things did get better by 2016...2018...2022...whenever that magic year is.

SCCWS
09-30-2013, 06:23 PM
This. He wasn't a good manager IMO, but there was no way he was A.) going to succeed with what they through out there the last year and B.) stick around once things did get better by 2016...2018...2022...whenever that magic year is.

Wow: I posted this a few weeks ago as a rumor on a Boston radio show. Their source was probably Peter Gammons but I didn't think it would happen.

mzh
09-30-2013, 06:42 PM
Theo & co. are scrambling to create the illusion of progress as their target contention date of 2014 inches backwards. This was supposed to be the year that Castro, Samardzijaajsdjija, Rizzo, Brett Jackson et al. were supposed to take the big leap forward and vault them over .500 next year. It didn't happen, but they have to act like everything is going according to the master plan. Time for the front office to put their money where their mouth is.

I will say that the Cubs farm system is looking awfully good right now. Between Baez, Soler, Almora, and Bryant alone they're probably going to get something good. At the same time, I'll believe it when I see it. I remember when Corey Patterson and Felix Pie were franchise-changers who were going to take them to the next level.

Right now, just gotta hope that the Sox get there first.

DumpJerry
09-30-2013, 07:33 PM
So, let's see.....he was to lose as many games as possible to ensure the highest draft position possible while developing The Future (Castro and Rizzo).

Makes as much sense as the instructions the HAL 9000 was given and we saw how that turned out.

CoopaLoop
09-30-2013, 09:04 PM
If you believe Dan Bernstein and his sources, Girardi is just a matter of his contract expiring. It goes until October 31st.

I think it has to happen. If Girardi isn't the guy there was no reason to fire Sveum with a year left.

doublem23
09-30-2013, 09:22 PM
I think it has to happen. If Girardi isn't the guy there was no reason to fire Sveum with a year left.

That does make a lot of sense, of course, but Theo's always going to be the guy who does what Theo does because Theo knows better than everyone else. A couple of years ago, Sandberg was the obvious choice to take over the MLB club; he was a legendary player so he would have been credible with the fans, he knew the players in the Cubs' MiLB system, he had success with them at the minor league level... But Theo still decided to go with the bench coach from Milwaukee.

If you're looking for a dark horse candidate, I humbly submit Dave Magadan; former gritty player, was a coach for the '07 Red Sox so he knows Theo, and he's been a pretty successful hitting coach at two stops in Boston and now Texas. Feels a lot more like the "Outside the Box" type Theo hire.

DumpJerry
09-30-2013, 09:36 PM
That does make a lot of sense, of course, but Theo's always going to be the guy who does what Theo does because Theo knows better than everyone else. A couple of years ago, Sandberg was the obvious choice to take over the MLB club; he was a legendary player so he would have been credible with the fans, he knew the players in the Cubs' MiLB system, he had success with them at the minor league level... But Theo still decided to go with the bench coach from Milwaukee.

If you're looking for a dark horse candidate, I humbly submit Dave Magadan; former gritty player, was a coach for the '07 Red Sox so he knows Theo, and he's been a pretty successful hitting coach at two stops in Boston and now Texas. Feels a lot more like the "Outside the Box" type Theo hire.
You might be on to something with Magadan. Sveum was a coach under Theo at one point. Theo might want to go with the familiar.

By the way, I love how Gardenhire signed another two year deal with the Twins today. I was enjoying the sports blab radio fantasies that he wanted to come here to a larger market to manage the legendary Cubs.....

Smokey Burg
09-30-2013, 10:06 PM
Doesn't matter who the manager is, he won't be around very long if the players don't know that there are 3 outs per inning, run on any contact with two outs, tag up on fly balls with less than 2 outs, hit the cut off man, don't throw letter high 90 mph fast balls to power hitters, etc, etc. Teams that play fundamentally bad baseball don't win championships. Same goes for the Sox.

Lemon44
09-30-2013, 11:22 PM
I listened to Theo's press conference. He said Sveum lost his job because the young players got worse and the clubhouse lacked structure/discipline.

Asked about the next manager, two things stood out: He needs to have been one already in the ML, and having a Cubby connection would be really good, too.

Well, that's a pretty short list, IMO. Really short if you remove Dusty Baker, Lou Piniella and Ryne Sandberg.

Whether or not bachelor #1 answers these plaintive cries is the next fascinating chapter in "For Whom The Cubbies Foil"

DSpivack
09-30-2013, 11:47 PM
Sveum is nothing great, though certainly not the problem there.

Perhaps more embarrassing are media figures throwing Sveum under the bus once he was dismissed.

https://twitter.com/RaferWeigel/status/384883764062457857

Not that he's apologizing for the Cubs, however...

https://twitter.com/RaferWeigel/status/384880973604605954

doublem23
09-30-2013, 11:56 PM
I listened to Theo's press conference. He said Sveum lost his job because the young players got worse and the clubhouse lacked structure/discipline.

Asked about the next manager, two things stood out: He needs to have been one already in the ML, and having a Cubby connection would be really good, too.

Well, that's a pretty short list, IMO. Really short if you remove Dusty Baker, Lou Piniella and Ryne Sandberg.

Whether or not bachelor #1 answers these plaintive cries is the next fascinating chapter in "For Whom The Cubbies Foil"

Girardi is already the highest paid manager in baseball, I just can't see him leaving the craziness of the Bronx to come and manage a team in serious rebuilding mode here, unless the Cubs offer him the moon.

Noneck
10-01-2013, 12:09 AM
Not that he's apologizing for the Cubs, however...

https://twitter.com/RaferWeigel/status/384880973604605954

This guy is spot on in my eyes.

StillMissOzzie
10-01-2013, 12:51 AM
I heard Theo say he wants a manager who can teach younger players how to perform better in the major leagues. Maybe he'll hire Robin Ventura as his next manager.

Read: He wants a manager who won't make the Cubs brass look so stupid for committing a gazillion dollars to lock up Castro and Rizzo for the next several years.

SMO
:gulp:

CoopaLoop
10-01-2013, 01:02 AM
Girardi is already the highest paid manager in baseball, I just can't see him leaving the craziness of the Bronx to come and manage a team in serious rebuilding mode here, unless the Cubs offer him the moon.

I mean he's from here and he wanted the job last go around didn't he?

doublem23
10-01-2013, 01:14 AM
I mean he's from here and he wanted the job last go around didn't he?

I don't personally remember him being a serious candidate for the job last time around (I remember it being more of like a wish list that some fans had established, kind of how some Sox fans really wanted to believe Terry Francona had a chance to get the Sox job two years ago), but I may be incorrect. The only real serious candidate I remember publicly being scorned by the Cubs was Sandberg.

SoxandtheCityTee
10-01-2013, 01:14 PM
I heard the Cubs announcer (on the radio with those morning drive-time idiots on the Score) say he'll be surprised if Girardi ISN'T the next manager.

What? Why would he take this job now, when he could wait and then show up when the club is a bit closer, assuming all goes according to plan? :rolleyes:

Lemon44
10-01-2013, 03:13 PM
I've learned more about Joe Girardi in the last 24 hours than I thought possible, here it goes: He's not coming to the Cubs because his kids, aged 14, 11 and 7, have no connection to Chicago; they are New Yorkers. He does not want to uproot his family for the ivy covered burial ground.

The sense of entitlement that Cub fans have just leaves me stunned. And it keeps swelling year after year.

Smokey Burg
10-01-2013, 03:27 PM
I can't imagine Girardi really wants to be back with the Cubs.

slavko
10-01-2013, 03:39 PM
I heard the Cubs announcer (on the radio with those morning drive-time idiots on the Score) say he'll be surprised if Girardi ISN'T the next manager.

What? Why would he take this job now, when he could wait and then show up when the club is a bit closer, assuming all goes according to plan? :rolleyes:

So he can take credit if it pokes its head above ground. The Tribune only owns 5% of them but still carries water for the team's interests. And it's carrying a lot of water these days. I loved it when the paper used to tamper with its own players by pumping them up for potential trades.

A new knight on horseback to Save The Cubs. Another Lou, Dusty, Leo or maybe Frankie Frisch to bring the magic and light the fire.

soxfan1965
10-01-2013, 05:22 PM
Girardi is already the highest paid manager
in baseball, I just can't see him leaving the craziness of the Bronx
to come and manage a team in serious rebuilding mode here, unless the Cubs
offer him the moon.

I've learned more about Joe Girardi in the last 24 hours than I thought possible, here it goes: He's not coming to the Cubs because his kids, aged 14, 11 and 7, have no connection to Chicago; they are New Yorkers. He does not want to uproot his family for the ivy covered burial ground.

Cashman is hinting at giving Girardi a significant offer.
http://nypost.com/sports/
And Girardi mentioned family as a reason to take a year off. Yes, it has been an ivy covered burial ground with many disadvantages. Dusty mentioned a number of them like inadequate treatment facilities that had affected players go downtown post-game. At least Girardi waiting a year will see whether or not the rooftop owners chase the team to Rosemont. Yankees already have top-notch facilities. Maybe Cubs only hope is to get Pat Fitzgerald to recruit fellow alum Girardi to the Cub job, with five NU football games planned at Wrigley. But Girardi will probably go to some of those games even as Yankee manager. Obviously Girardi has good leverage for a nice Yankee contract if he wants it.

SI1020
10-01-2013, 07:20 PM
Cashman is hinting at giving Girardi a significant offer.
http://nypost.com/sports/
And Girardi mentioned family as a reason to take a year off. Yes, it has been an ivy covered burial ground with many disadvantages. Dusty mentioned a number of them like inadequate treatment facilities that had affected players go downtown post-game. I get ripped every time I say this. Wrigley is an albatross that the Cubs ownership needs to rid themselves of. The world as we know it will not end of the Cubs get a new home somewhere in Chicagoland, whether it is Rosemont or elsewhere.

HomeFish
10-01-2013, 08:38 PM
I remember when another Peoria native, Jim Thome, signed with the beloved Cubs of his childhood and took them to a championship. Sounds like it will be that all over again.

DumpJerry
10-01-2013, 10:18 PM
Other than Dusty Baker, when was the last time a Cub Manager did anything significant in his managerial career after leaving the Cubs?

It's not the Bermuda Triangle, it's the Triangle Lot outside on Clark Street!

WhiteSox5187
10-01-2013, 10:27 PM
Other than Dusty Baker, when was the last time a Cub Manager did anything significant in his managerial career after leaving the Cubs?

It's not the Bermuda Triangle, it's the Triangle Lot outside on Clark Street!

Baker was the first former-Cubs manager to have another managerial job at the major league level for years and years. Strangely enough, shortly after Dusty got hired by the Reds, Jim Riggleman was hired by the Nationals.

DumpJerry
10-02-2013, 07:14 AM
Baker was the first former-Cubs manager to have another managerial job at the major league level for years and years. Strangely enough, shortly after Dusty got hired by the Reds, Jim Riggleman was hired by the Nationals.
...where he went 140-172. Maybe Theo should hire him back.

soxfan1965
10-02-2013, 09:10 AM
Girardi via the Star Ledger: Our home has been here . My kids are engrossed in schools here. I havenít lived there [in Chicago] since 2006. I have a brother still there, a couple brothers there, actually. But my fatherís gone. My motherís gone. So thereís not as much there as there used to be.

SOXPHILE
10-02-2013, 12:22 PM
http://www.csnchicago.com/sportsnetChicago/thumbnails/Sportsnet_-_Chicago/967/383/kap_promo_08-09_640x360_2087062361.jpg

Just had a stroke.......

palehozenychicty
10-02-2013, 11:14 PM
He ain't managing the Cubbies. Next story.

DrCrawdad
10-02-2013, 11:54 PM

The sense of entitlement that Cub fans have just leaves me stunned. And it keeps swelling year after year.

http://www.csnchicago.com/sportsnetChicago/thumbnails/Sportsnet_-_Chicago/967/383/kap_promo_08-09_640x360_2087062361.jpg

Just had a stroke.......

On Tuesday I listened for a short time to David Kraplan. The way they were talking I thought that Girardi had signed with the Cubbies.

IF it turns out that Girardi resigns with the Yankees, Kraplan's mancrush will quickly subside and he'll attach himself to whomever the Cubbies hire.

If Girardi spurns the Yankees, that door is closed. Girardi can always sign manage the Cubbies IF he leaves the Yankees.

kittle42
10-03-2013, 09:55 AM
On Tuesday I listened for a short time to David Kraplan. The way they were talking I thought that Girardi had signed with the Cubbies.

IF it turns out that Girardi resigns with the Yankees, Kraplan's mancrush will quickly subside and he'll attach himself to whomever the Cubbies hire.

If Girardi spurns the Yankees, that door is closed. Girardi can always sign manage the Cubbies IF he leaves the Yankees.

He probably once heralded Sveum as the second coming of Casey Stengel.

doublem23
10-03-2013, 10:46 AM
Girardi, Yankees GM Cashman have a "good" meeting:

http://espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/story/_/id/9761536/source-brian-cashman-joe-girardi-agent-meet-contract

DSpivack
10-03-2013, 11:07 AM
He probably once heralded Sveum as the second coming of Casey Stengel.

Stengel, who managed the Yankees to 7 world series titles, or Stengel who managed the '62 Mets? :tongue:

SCCWS
10-03-2013, 07:04 PM
Girardi, Yankees GM Cashman have a "good" meeting:

http://espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/story/_/id/9761536/source-brian-cashman-joe-girardi-agent-meet-contract

Gary DiSarcina is polishing his resume

mahagga73
10-03-2013, 11:16 PM

I'm inclined to believe maybe Rizzo, Castro, or Samardija might just not be that good. They're acting like on the radio like it's a foregone conclusion all these so called prospects are going to bloom into championship caliber players when in reality about 1 in 3 or 4 may turn into a serviceable player or better. Then the Cubs are supposedly going to surround them with superstar free agents. There are a whole lot of maybes and hoping in this ironclad plan . Sveum being fired may be the first dent in the armor, a scapegoat. Dan Bernstein was shouting down callers who dared disagree with him that the Cubs job was better than the Yankees at the moment . I agree with Hawk when he says a lot of these top rated farm systems are still perennial losers.Also there seems to be a big misconception that Theo built the Red Sox mini dynasty from scratch when in fact the team was ready to win right off the bat. There is no correlation to the total rebuild of the Cubs.

SCCWS
10-04-2013, 07:54 AM
.Also there seems to be a big misconception that Theo built the Red Sox mini dynasty from scratch when in fact the team was ready to win right off the bat. There is no correlation to the total rebuild of the Cubs.

WRONG. As a White Sox fan living in New England Theo made the moves that won in 2004. He acquired Ortiz, Millar, Shilling, Cabrera and Foulke and hired Francona as manager. In addition, he drafted Pedroia and Lester in 04 and folllowed that up with Buchholz and Ellsbury the next year. Those 4 are all All-Star calibre players.

I am glad he left Boston but his protege unfortunately is also having success.

doublem23
10-04-2013, 08:32 AM
WRONG. As a White Sox fan living in New England Theo made the moves that won in 2004. He acquired Ortiz, Millar, Shilling, Cabrera and Foulke and hired Francona as manager. In addition, he drafted Pedroia and Lester in 04 and folllowed that up with Buchholz and Ellsbury the next year. Those 4 are all All-Star calibre players.

Right, but I think the point is that he got the Red Sox from Point B to Point C, they hadn't finished under .500 since 1997 and were in the postseason 3 of the 6 years prior to Theo's hiring. I mean, they were 1 win away from the World Series in 2003.

I'm not saying Theo didn't make some savvy moves to get the Red Sox over the hump, but to compare it to a total rebuild is a bit dramatic. 2 years into this Cubs experiment and the team seems to be spinning it's wheels.

SCCWS
10-04-2013, 09:03 AM
Right, but I think the point is that he got the Red Sox from Point B to Point C, they hadn't finished under .500 since 1997 and were in the postseason 3 of the 6 years prior to Theo's hiring. I mean, they were 1 win away from the World Series in 2003.

I'm not saying Theo didn't make some savvy moves to get the Red Sox over the hump, but to compare it to a total rebuild is a bit dramatic. 2 years into this Cubs experiment and the team seems to be spinning it's wheels.

But they won again in 2007 with many different players including those draft picks from 03-05 who all played in that World Series.

mahagga73
10-04-2013, 09:54 AM
But they won again in 2007 with many different players including those draft picks from 03-05 who all played in that World Series.

Yeah so he made some savvy draft picks and moves, but he had a base to work with when he took over , this is a much bigger job with so many more things that have to go right.

mahagga73
10-04-2013, 09:56 AM

That kind of drafting seems like a lot of luck no matter how smart a talent evaluator you are. I seriously doubt that will happen again with the Cubs.

SCCWS
10-04-2013, 12:13 PM
Yeah so he made some savvy draft picks and moves, but he had a base to work with when he took over , this is a much bigger job with so many more things that have to go right.

Agree. Boston had good scouting to find the talent and a minor league system that developed Ellsbury and Pedroia in 3 years and Lester and Buccholtz in 2.

kittle42
10-04-2013, 12:25 PM
Enjoy. (http://www.theonion.com/articles/who-should-the-cubs-hire-as-manager,34091/?utm_source=Facebook&utm_medium=SocialMarketing&utm_campaign=LinkPreview:1:Default)

Boondock Saint
10-04-2013, 12:27 PM
Enjoy. (http://www.theonion.com/articles/who-should-the-cubs-hire-as-manager,34091/?utm_source=Facebook&utm_medium=SocialMarketing&utm_campaign=LinkPreview:1:Default)

****ing awesome.

bestkosher
10-04-2013, 09:54 PM
they forgot former Cubs personality that has name recognition but nothing else

Lemon44
10-04-2013, 10:08 PM
Who knew Montanans would make such an informed decision?

eriqjaffe
10-09-2013, 02:18 PM
Girardi is staying in New York.

http://www.csnchicago.com/cubs/joe-girardi-will-stay-yankees

roylestillman
10-09-2013, 02:22 PM
Girardi is staying in New York.

http://www.csnchicago.com/cubs/joe-girardi-will-stay-yankees

Oh boy, somebody make sure to get the sharp objects away from Dave Kaplan.

SoxandtheCityTee
10-09-2013, 02:31 PM
But . . but . . but . . they PROMISED me! It was on TV and the radio! Mwaaa :whiner:

(Cue the photo of sobbing Cubs fan)

LoveYourSuit
10-09-2013, 02:31 PM
Dan Bernstein's sources fail him again.

DeadMoney
10-09-2013, 02:34 PM
Dan Bernstein's sources fail him again.

Or he got played and his source was using him as a puppet (which is awesome in its own way).

kittle42
10-09-2013, 02:35 PM
I don't see what the big deal was. As we all know, a manager has very little effect upon how players perform.

SOXPHILE
10-09-2013, 04:29 PM
http://delivernothing.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/cubfans.jpg (http://delivernothing.com/tough-times-on-the-north-side/cubfans/)
"But....Dave Kaplan was sure he was coming...and Lil' Danny Bernstein said he was, according to his "sources"..........."

BTW, I'll say it again. B & B don't have any sources, and are pretty much full of **** anytime they say they have inside info from said sources.

mahagga73
10-09-2013, 05:12 PM
I don't see what the big deal was. As we all know, a manager has very little effect upon how players perform.

That's right, several people on this here forum have told us repeatedly a manager is simply a victim of circumstances with little or no control of his own fate or players.

mahagga73
10-09-2013, 05:16 PM
How could Girardi turn down the Cubs for the Yankees, Dan Bernstein said the Cubs were the better job.

canOcorn
10-09-2013, 05:18 PM
http://delivernothing.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/cubfans.jpg (http://delivernothing.com/tough-times-on-the-north-side/cubfans/)
"But....Dave Kaplan was sure he was coming...and Lil' Danny Bernstein said he was, according to his "sources"..........."

BTW, I'll say it again. B & B don't have any sources, and are pretty much full of **** anytime they say they have inside info from said sources.

I know every beat writer has sources inside the clubhouse, but I doubt any of them have a source in the front office, maybe a scout or lower level guy leaking disinformation. And any rumor that some radio jockey passes along is something he heard in the lunch room. None of those toolboxes have an inside source within the organization unless it's the organization playing them.

ZombieRob
10-09-2013, 05:24 PM
So is the Cubs farm system really all that stacked according to local media? They're saying that should be attractive for any manager to want to come manage the Cubs

canOcorn
10-09-2013, 06:11 PM
So is the Cubs farm system really all that stacked according to local media? They're saying that should be attractive for any manager to want to come manage the Cubs

Very good potential from the offensive side, but high upside, low floor guys. They have nothing coming in the next 2-3 years from a SP prospect. A lot of guys licking Theo's bootstraps on the organizational rankings. I wish we had their offensive prospects, but they're going to pay through the nose to acquire pitching.

DumpJerry
10-09-2013, 06:16 PM
:ozzie
Baseball been very very good to me.

slavko
10-09-2013, 06:31 PM
Or he got played and his source was using him as a puppet (which is awesome in its own way).

So sure, so sure. Sorry I missed today's backtracking and excuse-making. Anybody hear it? Who You Crappin's gonna be fun. I need to make time for it.

RadioheadRocks
10-09-2013, 09:58 PM
How could Girardi turn down the Cubs for the Yankees, Dan Bernstein said the Cubs were the better job.

Delusion apparently knows no bounds.

DrCrawdad
10-09-2013, 11:20 PM
'Heaven has no rage like love to hatred turned, Nor hell a fury like a Cubbie fan scorned...'

doublem23
10-10-2013, 06:07 AM
Ozzie: I'll manage the Cubs

http://www.csnchicago.com/cubs/ozzie-guillen-will-always-want-cubs-job

I'm sure Theo will get right on the horn, ****bag... :rolleyes:

SOXPHILE
10-10-2013, 09:50 AM
'Heaven has no rage like love to hatred turned, Nor hell a fury like a Cubbie fan scorned...'

Nah....not really. They are the stupidest, most blissfully ignorant fans in all of pro sports. Their team hasn't won a championship in 105 years and counting. They haven't even been to a championship series in 68 years. That is the worst/longest drought in all four leagues. Yet, there they are, year after year, acting like their team is on par with a Yankees or Cardinals as far as history and championships. There they are, year after year, telling anyone who will listen that they are the greatest, most awesome-est fans ever in the history of anything, and that Wrigley Field is as sacred and historical as anything that ever existed. They've been pissed and **** on, laughed at, and history (and baseball almanac) has proven them to be stunningly naÔve and ignorant about their team and the "swagger" they carry around just by being Cub fans (and "Cubs Game" fans). After all this, every year, they are back. Back at the Cubbie convention with their Mardi Gras beads and Cubbie rose colored glasses. Back at Wrigley, singing and dancing to Go Cubs Go after a rousing mid-April victory over the Marlins to improve their record to 6-11. Sure, every so often, they rumble and grumble about something, like in 2006 when a few fans organized a boycott after the season, and symbolically burned their Cubs stuff, (did it again following playoff collapses in '07 an '08). But it's always hubris. This latest "scorn" will soon be forgotten. Within the next few weeks, the Holy Trinity of Theo/Hoyer/Green will unveil whomever the latest savior manager will be, and they will lap it up like pre-chewed cud just like they always predictably do.

mahagga73
10-10-2013, 01:47 PM
I'm not going to lie I very much dislike the Cubs to put it lightly, but the thing that bothers me the most about them is the the media and fans are just assuming this Master Plan is going to result in several World Series championships , and how they are not even questioning how things are being done. As far as I'm concerned acquiring a bunch of prospects with potential to someday make it to the majors is not a guarantee of anything. Some might turn out gold but a lot more won't end up being anything special. Even if they do build a nice core of position players you still need to develop pitching , which they are short on right now from what I've heard. And free agency is a crapshoot. People are taking like the Sox are way behind the Cubs on the road back to respectability , I don't see it that way because right now it seems the Sox have an edge in pitching, and will have money to get some help out in the free agent market soon. Getting rid of Sveum too me is just a scapegoat for the fact Rizzo, Castro , and Jeff S. just might not be all that good like they want to believe.

Moses_Scurry
10-10-2013, 02:15 PM

That would make for some good theatre, as short-lived as it would be.

Rocky Soprano
10-10-2013, 03:17 PM

I say that we start a collection to make this happen. I would love to see that piece of crap on the north side.

I love his quote about him knowing how to win, if that was the case he wouldn't be out of job.

CoopaLoop
10-26-2013, 12:57 PM
Got to think think Theo overplayed his hand thinking he had everything needed to get Girardi to come here.

The search since shows Plan B wasn't much of a plan.

I wanted Dave Martinez when the Sox got Ventura. That would be my top of the list.

SoxSpeed22
10-26-2013, 03:27 PM
Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal (https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal) 2m (https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/394196679802363905) Sources: Hinch, Renteria will get second interviews with #Cubs (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Cubs&src=hash). Wedge interview will be Tuesday. Cubs already have spoken to him by phone.

I'm pretty sure Renteria will be their next manager.