PDA

View Full Version : Benches Clear in Atlanta

WhiteSox5187
09-25-2013, 06:32 PM
No video yet but Carlos Gomez hit a home run off of Paul Malholm in the first inning and Gomez chirped all the way around the bases at Malholm, when Gomez got to first Freddie Freeman waved his glove at Gomez as if to say "Just keep going." As soon as Gomez got to the plate, McCann blocked his path, took off his mask and started shouting at Gomez and the two nearly came to blows. From there, the benches cleared.

Gomez and Freeman have been ejected. McCann is still in the game and in his most recent AB was talking to Jonathan Lucroy, both of them were calm, I am not sure if Malholm is still in the game.

WhiteSox5187
09-25-2013, 07:33 PM
Here is the video:
http://wapc.mlb.com/atl/play/?c_id=atl&content_id=30934665&topic_id=8879214

EMachine10
09-25-2013, 07:38 PM
Was he awarded home plate?

SOX ADDICT '73
09-25-2013, 07:46 PM
Carlos Gomez is such an unbelievable little butthole - I'm just glad he's not with the Twins anymore.

spawn
09-25-2013, 08:09 PM
Never did like him. Now I have even more reason not to.

CHISOXFAN13
09-25-2013, 08:25 PM
Not really sure why Freeman was ejected unless the umpires believe he riled up Gomez more.

I can understand the Braves angst, but they have bigger fish to fry and should probably refrain from bench clearing brawls at this point.

spawn
09-25-2013, 08:31 PM
I can understand the Braves angst, but they have bigger fish to fry and should probably refrain from bench clearing brawls at this point.

Well, as a professional player, you're not just going to let someone like Gomez show up your pitcher.

CHISOXFAN13
09-25-2013, 09:02 PM
Well, as a professional player, you're not just going to let someone like Gomez show up your pitcher.

The goal is to win the World Series, last time I checked. Gomez has nothing to lose. And the Braves bit.

There are better ways to handle it than the way McCann did.

spawn
09-25-2013, 09:05 PM
The goal is to win the World Series, last time I checked. Gomez has nothing to lose. And the Braves bit.

Sure, the goal is to win the World Series. This isn't a playoff game. How exactly does this hurt their chances?

LoveYourSuit
09-25-2013, 09:16 PM

Yeah, like a fist to the the throat.

I could care less what my goal is, you disrespect the way this clown did everything goes out the door.

Brian26
09-25-2013, 09:20 PM
It is hard to defend anything Gomez did there. Even if there is some history between Maholm and Gomez (or McCann and Gomez) that we are not privy to, just hit the damn homer and round the bases like you've been there before. Gomez was such a tool in jawing with Maholm that he almost missed third base.

ZombieRob
09-25-2013, 09:37 PM
Yeah, like a fist to the the throat.

I could care less what my goal is, you disrespect the way this clown did everything goes out the door.
I have seen worse from HOF and no one said anything. It's stupid, but hey the comeback should be, were in the playoffs and you're not.

ZombieRob
09-25-2013, 09:39 PM
It is hard to defend anything Gomez did there. Even if there is some history between Maholm and Gomez (or McCann and Gomez) that we are not privy to, just hit the damn homer and round the bases like you've been there before. Gomez was such a tool in jawing with Maholm that he almost missed third base.
To be fair did you feel the same way when Griffey used to admire his homers? Canseco Sosa McGuire Bonds Jackson Kingman all have done the pose. And some numerous times. I don't care if you're a HOF or not imo. A turd move is a turd move

thomas35forever
09-25-2013, 09:44 PM
Was happy the day Gomez left our division. If I never see him around here again, it'll be too soon.

WhiteSox5187
09-25-2013, 10:18 PM
To be fair did you feel the same way when Griffey used to admire his homers? Canseco Sosa McGuire Bonds Jackson Kingman all have done the pose. And some numerous times. I don't care if you're a HOF or not imo. A turd move is a turd move

There's a difference between admiring the home run, which I hate, and what Gomez did. Gomez was shouting at Malholm all the way around the bases (Gomez also glared at Malholm after practically coming out of his shoes on a swing and miss after the first pitch). Had Gomez JUST admired the home run, or even glared at the pitcher after hitting it and shouting something on the way to first, I don't think McCann would have acted the way he did. I don't think there is a single team in baseball that wouldn't have reacted the way the Braves did.

LoveYourSuit
09-25-2013, 10:27 PM

You might have not watched the video.

What Gomez did tonight does not compare to anything any of those guys mentioned ever did in any of the close to 5,000 HRs combined those guys hit.

Even Kingman who was a complete jackass, not even close to what Gomez did tonight.

WLL1855
09-25-2013, 10:57 PM
I've always liked McCann. Good for him he put this little boy jackass in his place.

ZombieRob
09-25-2013, 11:06 PM
There's a difference between admiring the home run, which I hate, and what Gomez did. Gomez was shouting at Malholm all the way around the bases (Gomez also glared at Malholm after practically coming out of his shoes on a swing and miss after the first pitch). Had Gomez JUST admired the home run, or even glared at the pitcher after hitting it and shouting something on the way to first, I don't think McCann would have acted the way he did. I don't think there is a single team in baseball that wouldn't have reacted the way the Braves did.
Why is it batters can never say or do anything when a pitcher shows them up, throws at them etc? Honestly, if someone threw a 95 or even 85 at my head. i'd think about throwing my bat at their knees. I agree and eye for an eye and that. But I'm not going to take sides until the whole story comes out. Pitchers talk a lot of **** out there to

ZombieRob
09-25-2013, 11:10 PM
You might have not watched the video.

What Gomez did tonight does not compare to anything any of those guys mentioned ever did in any of the close to 5,000 HRs combined those guys hit.

Even Kingman who was a complete jackass, not even close to what Gomez did tonight.
what sit there and admire his HR? I seen it a 100 times. Players talk ****. How many times to the gret A.J talk his crap when he homered? A few times. And A.J is a bigger tool then Gomez.

Brian26
09-25-2013, 11:49 PM
what sit there and admire his HR? I seen it a 100 times. Players talk ****. How many times to the gret A.J talk his crap when he homered? A few times. And A.J is a bigger tool then Gomez.

Are you drinking tonight?

ZombieRob
09-26-2013, 12:12 AM
Are you drinking tonight?
Are you blind or just you just try and seem like you know what you're talking about. Forget when A.J postered a HR against the Cubs and talking **** to their dug out? What, that never happened because he played for the White Sox?

ComiskeyBrewer
09-26-2013, 12:26 AM
Not really sure why Freeman was ejected unless the umpires believe he riled up Gomez more.

Freeman said something to Golmez, but he was ejected because he came into the scrum and threw an elbow, which hit Aramis Ramirez in the face.

That being said, yeah Golmez was being a moron with that HR. I have no clue what he was saying, or why he was saying it but that's an error on his judgement. The weird thing is, that this is completely out of character for Golmez since he came to Milwaukee. Hopefully RR lets him sit out tomorrow and think on what he did.

WhiteSox5187
09-26-2013, 12:26 AM
Are you blind or just you just try and seem like you know what you're talking about. Forget when A.J postered a HR against the Cubs and talking **** to their dug out? What, that never happened because he played for the White Sox?

Well, AJ admired a go ahead home run in the top of the 9th, pointed to his own dugout against one of his team's biggest rivals a couple of weeks after the Cubs catcher punched him in the face and even then he didn't glare at the pitcher or scream at anyone on the Cubs. So I don't think that your comparison is particularly apt.

ZombieRob
09-26-2013, 12:46 AM
Well, AJ admired a go ahead home run in the top of the 9th, pointed to his own dugout against one of his team's biggest rivals a couple of weeks after the Cubs catcher punched him in the face and even then he didn't glare at the pitcher or scream at anyone on the Cubs. So I don't think that your comparison is particularly apt.
I was there just behind the Cubs dugout. He stood there Jaw yapping at them. Point is A.J is a tool, he was with the Twins, especially against the White Sox, He was a tool with the Giants and his own team, and him own team mates hated him here. Basically what I'm saying is big deal what Gomez did or said. Maybe Maholm deserved it who knows. Braves are in the playoffs, Brewers are not. How dumb would of looked if McCann was suspended for the first Rd?

WhiteSox5187
09-26-2013, 12:48 AM
I was there just behind the Cubs dugout. He stood there Jaw yapping at them. Point is A.J is a tool, he was with the Twins, especially against the White Sox, He was a tool with the Giants and his own team, and him own team mates hated him here. Basically what I'm saying is big deal what Gomez did or said. Maybe Maholm deserved it who knows. Braves are in the playoffs, Brewers are not. How dumb would of looked if McCann was suspended for the first Rd?

Well he wasn't thrown out of the game so I doubt that would happen.

KRS1
09-26-2013, 12:51 AM
Gomez is an all around dickish individual.

ZombieRob
09-26-2013, 12:57 AM
Well he wasn't thrown out of the game so I doubt that would happen.
I'm saying If. It could of gotten worse.I'm saying was it worth it? Nail him in the next game or put it away till next year.

doublem23
09-26-2013, 01:02 AM
Did that HR even count? Because I don't think Gomez ever touched home.

thomas35forever
09-26-2013, 01:25 AM
Did that HR even count? Because I don't think Gomez ever touched home.
It did since he was obstructed by McCann.

WLL1855
09-26-2013, 01:52 AM

So because you think AJ was per your words 'a tool' Gomez is excused for being a ********. Good to know.

You don't happen to be related to Gomez, do you?

PaleHoser
09-26-2013, 09:25 AM
Freeman said something to Golmez, but he was ejected because he came into the scrum and threw an elbow, which hit Aramis Ramirez in the face.

I have a couple of buddies who are Cub fans who'd like to buy Freeman dinner and drinks.

Irishsox1
09-26-2013, 10:14 AM
2 things here: First, Gomez is a tool and a hot head. That's obvious. Second, the Braves are way to sensitive with this stuff. They did this same thing against the Marlins a couple of weeks ago when the Marlins pitcher hit a homerun and watched it. It was nothing compared to the antics that Dave Justice used to do when he was with the Braves but apprently the Braves have forgotten that.

My advice to the Braves, stop serving up homeruns because then the other team can't violate some unwritten rule and "show-up" or "dis" you.

DSpivack
09-26-2013, 10:30 AM
2 things here: First, Gomez is a tool and a hot head. That's obvious. Second, the Braves are way to sensitive with this stuff. They did this same thing against the Marlins a couple of weeks ago when the Marlins pitcher hit a homerun and watched it. It was nothing compared to the antics that Dave Justice used to do when he was with the Braves but apprently the Braves have forgotten that.

My advice to the Braves, stop serving up homeruns because then the other team can't violate some unwritten rule and "show-up" or "dis" you.

McCann looked silly here, but agreed on Gomez and also on the Braves. Just plunk Gomez in the ass the next time he's up like any other team would do.

spawn
09-26-2013, 10:30 AM

1. None of the Braves on this team ever played with David Justice, so they can't forget something they never experienced.
2. The Marlins pitcher that hit the homer and posed admitted he was in the wrong for what he did. And Gomez didn't just pose. He posed, talked **** to Malholm, obviously talked **** to Freeman, and basically barked and talked **** his entire trip around the bases. It was extremely unsportsmanlike. Forget breaking an unwritten rule. It was a complete dick move on Gomez' part.

As far as the Braves needing to stop giving up homeruns...I'm assuming their pitching staff has given up more than two this season. I don't see them as being overly sensitive in that regard. Saying they need to stop giving them up so they don't get dissed is kinda ridiculous IMO.

doublem23
09-26-2013, 10:35 AM
2. The Marlins pitcher that hit the homer and posed admitted he was in the wrong for what he did. And Gomez didn't just pose. He posed, talked **** to Malholm, obviously talked **** to Freeman, and basically barked and talked **** his entire trip around the bases. It was extremely unsportsmanlike. Forget breaking an unwritten rule. It was a complete dick move on Gomez' part.

I agree, I'm not one to normally care about hot dogging or unwritten rules or whatever, but Gomez's antics last night were completely embarrassing and uncalled for. Yeah, I get it, Maholm hit you like 10 years ago, you got your revenge, move on. I've never seen a display like his last night.

Foulke You
09-26-2013, 11:17 AM
I agree, I'm not one to normally care about hot dogging or unwritten rules or whatever, but Gomez's antics last night were completely embarrassing and uncalled for. Yeah, I get it, Maholm hit you like 10 years ago, you got your revenge, move on. I've never seen a display like his last night.
It was completely unprofessional and conduct that wouldn't be tolerated at any level of baseball. The comparisons of Carlos Gomez douchebaggery to anything AJ or Griffey have done is also joke. Most of the stuff AJ did was subtle irritation. Gomez for sure leaped over the line.

spawn
09-26-2013, 11:33 AM
I've never seen a display like his last night.
Yeah, I've watched a lot of baseball, and I've never seen a display after a home run like that.

And Foulke You is 100% on the money as well. I personally don't care for the hot doggery, but I understand it has and will always be part of the game. What Gomez did went well over the line.

TaylorStSox
09-26-2013, 11:37 AM
If you watched the whole AB, it was pretty clear that Gomez went up there with intention of hitting a HR and starting a fight. It was actually pretty amazing that he did it. The Braves handled it the right way. You just can't allow yourself to be bullied.

I'm guessing Gomez isn't well liked in the Brewers clubhouse. How did that not turn into an all out brawl after Reed Johnson sucker punched Gomez?

blandman
09-26-2013, 12:01 PM
I don't get why they didn't just plunk him another time. Baseball's hurt a lot more than fists.

doublem23
09-26-2013, 12:05 PM
I don't get why they didn't just plunk him another time. Baseball's hurt a lot more than fists.

Because they're going to the playoffs in a week.

I suspect Carlos Gomez will take a fastball to the lower back whenever the Braves and Brewers play in 2014

blandman
09-26-2013, 12:20 PM
Because they're going to the playoffs in a week.

I suspect Carlos Gomez will take a fastball to the lower back whenever the Braves and Brewers play in 2014

That's what I mean. It was foolish for the Braves to do ANYTHING. Let it go until next time.

Chez
09-26-2013, 01:04 PM
Someone should write down all the "unwritten rules" in baseball

vinny
09-26-2013, 01:57 PM
Someone should write down all the "unwritten rules" in baseball

http://deadspin.com/5901616/baseballs-unwritten-rules-uncovered-after-26-years

http://whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=119636

PorkChopExpress
09-26-2013, 06:16 PM
How come no one is talking about Reed Johnson? He came flying in from wherever he was, got his hand in Gomez's face (more of a stiff arm than a hit), and then proceeded to hide behind his coaches and teammates while bouncing around looking like he was ready to go. What a chump.

Hitmen77
09-26-2013, 09:16 PM
Here is the video:
http://wapc.mlb.com/atl/play/?c_id=atl&content_id=30934665&topic_id=8879214

Was this game played after a long rain delay or something? Because, man, that's a LOT of empty seats in that video for a home team that has 93 wins and is cruising to the playoffs.

robertks61
09-26-2013, 09:53 PM
Johnson suspended for basically running in and throwing a sucker punch. That was a punk move.

doublem23
09-26-2013, 10:32 PM
Was this game played after a long rain delay or something? Because, man, that's a LOT of empty seats in that video for a home team that has 93 wins and is cruising to the playoffs.

Welcome to the ATL

DSpivack
09-27-2013, 02:27 AM
Welcome to the ATL

...Where the players play, and the fans would rather be watching SEC football.

SOX ADDICT '73
09-27-2013, 08:40 AM
...Where the players play, and the fans would rather be watching SEC football.
They have a history of not showing up until the NLCS or later, don't they? I remember seeing a lot of Cubbie blue in the Atlanta stands during the 2003 NLDS. I guess Maddux, Glavine, and the gang spoiled them in the 90s.

I admittedly don't get to watch many Brewers games, but Gomez looks to have bulked up quite a bit since his days in Minnesota (I remember him being a squirrely little pain-in-the-ass), and his power numbers have spiked dramatically over the past two years. This, combined with the gigantic - and seemingly irrational - chip on his shoulder has me wondering about PED usage. Then again, he was a huge jackass before the growth spurt, so...

WLL1855
09-27-2013, 05:14 PM
They have a history of not showing up until the NLCS or later, don't they? I remember seeing a lot of Cubbie blue in the Atlanta stands during the 2003 NLDS. I guess Maddux, Glavine, and the gang spoiled them in the 90s.

I admittedly don't get to watch many Brewers games, but Gomez looks to have bulked up quite a bit since his days in Minnesota (I remember him being a squirrely little pain-in-the-ass), and his power numbers have spiked dramatically over the past two years. This, combined with the gigantic - and seemingly irrational - chip on his shoulder has me wondering about PED usage. Then again, he was a huge jackass before the growth spurt, so...

Someone had to fill the gaping void of jackassery that Tony Plush left behind.

Mr. Jinx
09-27-2013, 05:42 PM

Yeah, that never happens around here with a winner.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/recap?id=250920104

Hitmen77
09-27-2013, 06:21 PM
Yeah, that never happens around here with a winner.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/recap?id=250920104

So? :?: The attendance in the game you linked to was 26,000. Not perfect, but not totally empty. Do you have a link to a video showing that the lower level seats for that 2005 game (outfield AND behind home plate) were just about completely empty? If not, then what's your point?

I know some people can't help starting the old "let's bash Sox attendance" argument again. But, seeing that video of the recent Braves game brings up a fair question.....even from us lowly Sox fans.

So, I'll restate my question: was there a rain delay or something? Because that's a lot of empty seats in that video. But, but, the 2005 Sox didn't sell out every game - so there!

Mr. Jinx
09-27-2013, 07:57 PM
So? :?: The attendance in the game you linked to was 26,000. Not perfect, but not totally empty. Do you have a link to a video showing that the lower level seats for that 2005 game (outfield AND behind home plate) were just about completely empty? If not, then what's your point?

I know some people can't help starting the old "let's bash Sox attendance" argument again. But, seeing that video of the recent Braves game brings up a fair question.....even from us lowly Sox fans.

So, I'll restate my question: was there a rain delay or something? Because that's a lot of empty seats in that video. But, but, the 2005 Sox didn't sell out every game - so there!

Well, the link I gave was the Sox in the heat of a pennant race drawing $26k in a city with a city population of 2.7 mil. The Braves drew 19k in the heat of a pennant race with a city population of 440k.

My point being, Sox fans should be the last people who ever make fun of attendance. I love the Sox, but I know what battles I want to pick and what ones I don't.

WLL1855
09-27-2013, 11:00 PM
Well, the link I gave was the Sox in the heat of a pennant race drawing $26k in a city with a city population of 2.7 mil. The Braves drew 19k in the heat of a pennant race with a city population of 440k.

My point being, Sox fans should be the last people who ever make fun of attendance. I love the Sox, but I know what battles I want to pick and what ones I don't.

How many they draw during the roaring '90's?

Sounds like a nerve was touched here.

vinny
09-28-2013, 01:40 AM
Even during the roaring 90s, when it seemed like the Braves won the NL west every year, playoff games were regularly blacked out in Atlanta because they weren't sold out. Historically, Atlanta baseball fans have been notoriously fickle.

Hitmen77
09-29-2013, 04:18 PM

....and my point being, Turner Field looked completely empty. If you have 19k, you don't have all the sections even behind home plate empty. I'm seriously asking - was there a rain delay or something? That's not "making fun of attendance" and showing me a 2005 box score that shows 26k attendance tells me nothing.

Show me a clip of a Sox game in late 2005 that was nearly that empty unless there was some sort of delay.

I guess we just have a different way of looking at things. IMO, not every question/comment about another team's crowds draws exaggerated retorts about the Sox's own attendance problems.

If, after looking at the Turner Field clip and seeing the stands, you honestly feel that is comparable to the 2005 Sox, then more power to you. :tiphat:

kittle42
09-30-2013, 11:01 AM
I was at this game. Got a $21 ticket off StubHub and was 7 rows behind home plate with 755 Club access. There were maybe - maybe - 5,000 people there. I was really surprised.

The Gomez incident was the second AB of the game. It was really fun to be that close to the action.

doublem23
09-30-2013, 11:05 AM

Saying Atlanta only has a population of 440,000 is a gross misunderrepresentation of the size of the Atlanta metro area. Atlanta proper only accounts for about 5% of the entire metro area by geographic area. The entire metro area has more than 5 million people and is the 9th largest in the United States.

SI1020
09-30-2013, 11:40 AM
OK it was a while ago but I lived in Gwinnett County Georgia for a brief spell in he mid 80's. I now live near Columbia, SC. The Atlanta area has people from all over the place. Southern young professionals just out of college flock to Atlanta to begin their careers. Similar to the youngbloods from Michigan, Indiana and downstate Illinois that migrate to Chicago. Atlanta has tons of northern expatriates who moved down there as industry back home dried up. As Spivack and others have pointed out college sports are king in the south, and the northern transplants mostly retain their home town loyalties. So no, Atlanta isn't the greatest pro sports town. Still, if you attend Braves games like I do, you'll notice Braves fans who are day or weekend trippers from all across Georgia, upstate South Carolina and northern Alabama. It's not as dire a situation as the one in Tampa-St. Pete.

DSpivack
09-30-2013, 01:39 PM
OK it was a while ago but I lived in Gwinnett County Georgia for a brief spell in he mid 80's. I now live near Columbia, SC. The Atlanta area has people from all over the place. Southern young professionals just out of college flock to Atlanta to begin their careers. Similar to the youngbloods from Michigan, Indiana and downstate Illinois that migrate to Chicago. Atlanta has tons of northern expatriates who moved down there as industry back home dried up. As Spivack and others have pointed out college sports are king in the south, and the northern transplants mostly retain their home town loyalties. So no, Atlanta isn't the greatest pro sports town. Still, if you attend Braves games like I do, you'll notice Braves fans who are day or weekend trippers from all across Georgia, upstate South Carolina and northern Alabama. It's not as dire a situation as the one in Tampa-St. Pete.

This is a good point. They're the baseball team for nearly the whole south. I wonder what their cable subscriber base is, without much regional competition.

doublem23
09-30-2013, 02:00 PM
This is a good point. They're the baseball team for nearly the whole south. I wonder what their cable subscriber base is, without much regional competition.

They were also televised nationally on TBS for almost 40 years so they do have a very widespread fanbase.

But it is crazy to how underserved the South is by baseball. The region that includes Virginia, the Carolinas, Georgia, Tennessee, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, and Arkansas has more NHL franchises than MLB ones. Crazy.

ComiskeyBrewer
10-01-2013, 01:43 AM

The reason Gomez has more HRs is simply because he is getting more ABs, as well as coming into the prime of his career.

2011: 231 ABs, 8 HRs. 1 HR every 29 ABs
2012: 415 ABs, 19 HRs. 1 HR every 22 ABs
2013: 536 ABs, 24 HRs. 1 HR every 22 ABs

Could he be on PEDS? Sure, but the numbers alone don't suggest that.

Has he bulked up?
http://ww2.hdnux.com/photos/21/10/02/4489353/3/628x471.jpg

http://assets.espn.go.com/photo/2008/0723/mlb_g_gomez_300.jpg

Maybe? I'm not really sure. I think he put on some weight, but i'm not sure. Then again, weight gain alone isn't an indicator of PED use anymore.

doublem23
10-01-2013, 02:26 AM
The reason Gomez has more HRs is simply because he is getting more ABs, as well as coming into the prime of his career.

2011: 231 ABs, 8 HRs. 1 HR every 29 ABs
2012: 415 ABs, 19 HRs. 1 HR every 22 ABs
2013: 536 ABs, 24 HRs. 1 HR every 22 ABs

Could he be on PEDS? Sure, but the numbers alone don't suggest that.

Pretty fair assessment, IMO; also I don't know how well Miller Park plays as a HR park, but it's got to be better than Target Field, right? That place is a HR hitter's nightmare.

ComiskeyBrewer
10-01-2013, 03:00 AM
Pretty fair assessment, IMO; also I don't know how well Miller Park plays as a HR park, but it's got to be better than Target Field, right? That place is a HR hitter's nightmare.

From what i remember, it is basically neutral to slightly a hitters park(not sure since they moved the wall in RF in closer). But yea, i'd bet moving from the Metrodome adds to it as well.