PDA

View Full Version : Dodgers Clinch NL West

WhiteSox5187
09-19-2013, 06:57 PM
On June 22nd they were 9.5 out and 11 games under .500, they just clinched the NL West and are the first team to clinch a playoff berth.

LITTLE NELL
09-19-2013, 07:58 PM
On June 22nd they were 9.5 out and 11 games under .500, they just clinched the NL West and are the first team to clinch a playoff berth.

On that same date we were 31-41.

Medford Bobby
09-19-2013, 08:04 PM
A bunch of Dodgers took a dip in the Chase Field pool, what no security?? :angry:

Brian26
09-19-2013, 10:03 PM
A bunch of Dodgers took a dip in the Chase Field pool, what no security?? :angry:

Hahaha, did this happen immediately after the game or after they cleared out the fans?

Hitmen77
09-20-2013, 08:58 AM
Hard to believe it's been a quarter of a century since the Dodgers last won a pennant. Maybe this is their year to finally return to the World Series.

happydude
09-20-2013, 09:48 AM

There were rumblings in June about the safety of Mattingly's job; I'm glad they got it turned around. I thought they gave Zack Greinke too much money (along with some other guys) but he sure came through this year.

MarySwiss
09-20-2013, 10:37 AM

This was a big story in this morning's Republic.There was also an editorial about it, which used the word "classless," and a lot of people are unhappy.

At first, I thought the whole thing was sort of silly, but supposedly this happened despite D'Backs management asking the Dodgers to celebrate in the clubhouse until the fans were cleared, in the interests of safety, a request that was apparently disregarded. And considering the bad blood between the two teams, I think it was a pretty bush thing to do. But not worth complaining to MLB about! And as was pointed out, it's not like the Dodgers have a beautiful pool of their own.

doublem23
09-20-2013, 10:50 AM
I've never once heard an opposing team ask another team to not celebrate on their field because of "safety." Sounds more like the D-backs have some sour grapes over choking away the division they led as late as July 21.

ChiSoxFann
09-20-2013, 11:09 AM
I've never once heard an opposing team ask another team to not celebrate on their field because of "safety." Sounds more like the D-backs have some sour grapes over choking away the division they led as late as July 21.

I totally agree. The crying of some D-back players is pretty amusing. As Jon Heyman wrote on Twitter after the game, if you don't want them celebrating on your field or in your pool don't let them clinch in your home stadium.

Southsider101
09-20-2013, 11:47 AM
Congrats Dodgers! After this season's run you deserve a dip in the D-backs pool.
Sounds to me like what a lot of what this is about is the underlying inferiority complex many Arizona fans have when it comes to anything LA.

thomas35forever
09-20-2013, 01:26 PM
The interesting thing about all this is that the D-backs never issued anything to the Dodgers specifically requesting not to jump in their pool. If you just clinched a playoff spot and no one forbade you from going in there, wouldn't you? Yeah, it was goofy, but I don't find them at fault.

Incidentally, I still wonder what went on in that area when the D-backs won the World Series.

MarySwiss
09-21-2013, 07:03 PM
The interesting thing about all this is that the D-backs never issued anything to the Dodgers specifically requesting not to jump in their pool. If you just clinched a playoff spot and no one forbade you from going in there, wouldn't you? Yeah, it was goofy, but I don't find them at fault.

Incidentally, I still wonder what went on in that area when the D-backs won the World Series.

If you mean what went on in the pool, I don't recall hearing about anything negative. Plus, isn't that apples and oranges? D'Backs fans celebrating in the pool--which by the way is not exactly a cheap ticket--is not quite the same thing as Dodgers players jumping in. Medford Bobby, you make a good point about the security issue, but, given the blowback, can you imagine what we'd be hearing if security had kept the Dodgers players out?

Again, I personally think this has been blown out of all proportion. And I agree, the best way to keep a team from celebrating in your face is to win the division. :angry:

Re the comment about the "inferiority complex" many Arizona fans have about LA, that may be true for some, but not all. I was in LA only once; I drove out a few years ago to root for my brother, who was a contestant on Wheel of Fortune. One day was enough; I drove back later that night and was happy as hell to be back in Chandler at 1am. The drive out sucked, the traffic sucked, the hotel sucked, and the drive back sucked. We have some air quality problems in Arizona, but yikes, LA! Not much to like, IMO, and nothing to feel inferior about. By and large, I'll take the Valley!

Then again, my brother won a couple of grand on the Wheel, so it wasn't all bad. :D:

GoSox2K3
09-22-2013, 09:39 PM

9.5 out in June and they stormed to first place? Didn't they learn from the Sox that you're supposed to choke in August/Sept after doing that?

:ozzie
September is a great time to demand a contract extension!

:KW
We would have been better able to compete if Sox fans did a better job of supporting their team.

doublem23
09-24-2013, 10:25 AM
In case you didn't get enough of crybabies in Arizona whining:

http://deadspin.com/report-the-dodgers-peed-in-the-diamondbacks-pool-1376699063

thomas35forever
09-24-2013, 12:58 PM
In case you didn't get enough of crybabies in Arizona whining:

http://deadspin.com/report-the-dodgers-peed-in-the-diamondbacks-pool-1376699063
Love this comment on the site:
The pool was subsequently banned for 100 games for testing positive for 6 different PEDs.