PDA

View Full Version : It took this long for the media to notice...

kittle42
09-06-2013, 08:45 PM
...the Cubs' woeful (for them) attendance.

Link (http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/cubs/22383280-573/cubs-poor-play-drives-fans-away.html)

Dan H
09-08-2013, 07:53 AM
And the attendance figures for the Cubs, as with all major league teams, are inflated since no-shows are counted. In reality, Cubbie attendance has taken a bigger hit.

Not surprising since the Cubs have a 9-game losing streak in the playoffs where they were outscored 57-20. They have not won a post-season game in 10 years and that was two games before Bartman.

The clincher for many Cub fans was 2008 when the team won 97 games only to get swept our of the playoffs. One loss included an error made by every player in the infield. Of course, that marked 100 years without a championship.

Rickets thought he could draw people by dressing like Harry Carey. He found out even goofy Cub fans had their limit. The press is hero-worshiping Theo but if he doesn't deliver, Cub attendance will become a bigger problem. And it's about time.

SCCWS
09-08-2013, 09:28 AM
I saw another sour note the other day. White Sox are the worst road draw in baseball. How the hell is Houston a better draw than us???

LITTLE NELL
09-08-2013, 09:47 AM
I saw another sour note the other day. White Sox are the worst road draw in baseball. How the hell is Houston a better draw than us???

2 points on that, a lot has to do with what teams are in your division. For instance Cleveland and KC are in our division and are near the bottom of home attendance in MLB, both of them are averaging around 21,000. When Cleveland was selling out the Jake we would come in there and 42,000 would be on hand, big difference. If we were in the AL East we would be going into NY and Boston and playing in front of near full houses for 18 games in each park, that's 36 near sellouts right there. Toronto and Baltimore also have done well attendance wise this year.

The second point is who wants to see the White Sox, not one superstar on the team, not one guy worth the price of admission except for Sale and he is no Sandy Koufax. This is the biggest bunch of stiffs in Sox history.

DrCrawdad
09-08-2013, 07:57 PM
And the attendance figures for the Cubs, as with all major league teams, are inflated since no-shows are counted. In reality, Cubbie attendance has taken a bigger hit.

Not surprising since the Cubs have a 9-game losing streak in the playoffs where they were outscored 57-20. They have not won a post-season game in 10 years and that was two games before Bartman.

The clincher for many Cub fans was 2008 when the team won 97 games only to get swept our of the playoffs. One loss included an error made by every player in the infield. Of course, that marked 100 years without a championship.

Rickets thought he could draw people by dressing like Harry Carey. He found out even goofy Cub fans had their limit. The press is hero-worshiping Theo but if he doesn't deliver, Cub attendance will become a bigger problem. And it's about time.

The linked article mentions it and I've posted here before about the "announced attendance" (and got bashed by the person who started this thread, go figure...). For all the boasting by the Cubbies, their fans and the media about the Cubbies popularity and their attendance, it's surprising to me how little coverage their actual attendance gets. Good to see Gordon W. write about it.

I heard a very brief segment of the Cubbies radio broadcast today at around 3:30PM. They mentioned there was "the wave" going around Wrigley today. Les Grobstein's head must have exploded as he's claimed regularly that the wave never happens at Wrigley.

kittle42
09-08-2013, 08:34 PM
The linked article mentions it and I've posted here before about the "announced attendance" (and got bashed by the person who started this thread, go figure...). For all the boasting by the Cubbies, their fans and the media about the Cubbies popularity and their attendance, it's surprising to me how little coverage their actual attendance gets. Good to see Gordon W. write about it.

I heard a very brief segment of the Cubbies radio broadcast today at around 3:30PM. They mentioned there was "the wave" going around Wrigley today. Les Grobstein's head must have exploded as he's claimed regularly that the wave never happens at Wrigley.

We're on the same page, for once. I have made sure not to mention this article to Hangar, as his head (and other things) may have exploded in glee.

doublem23
09-08-2013, 09:13 PM
The Cubs attendance for sure this year has been carried by tourists and fans of the other team. Every time they are playing rivals like the Cardinals, Reds, or Brewers, I see thousands of people in the other teams' gear on the l or in and around the neighborhood (I live pretty close to Wrigleyville). If they had to play a season at the Cell to work on Wrigley, they'd struggle to get 15,000 per game to watch this product.

Railsplitter
09-08-2013, 09:23 PM
Less games on WGN nationwide = less chances to promote Wrigley as tourist attraction.

I didn't expect it to take a season or two, but I didn't expect it to take this long either

cws05champ
09-09-2013, 08:32 AM
Why wasn't the Tribune all over this story??

Steelrod
09-09-2013, 08:59 AM
Less games on WGN nationwide = less chances to promote Wrigley as tourist attraction.

I didn't expect it to take a season or two, but I didn't expect it to take this long either
And if they start their own network, the Ricketts ownership will complete the teardown that took the Cubs forever to establish.

Hitmen77
09-09-2013, 10:53 AM
...the Cubs' woeful (for them) attendance.

Link (http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/cubs/22383280-573/cubs-poor-play-drives-fans-away.html)

Supply and demand is catching up with them. They've had declining turnouts over the last couple of disappointing years, but the perceived demand kept advanced ticket sales (by both fans and ticket brokers) going strong until now.

People like to believe the myth that the Cubs "always draw 3 million fans no matter what." But, the reality is that this has only been going on for the last 15 years and started with the Sosa/McGuire HR mania in '98. Since then, the Cubs have had enough good years over that time to keep attendance from slipping much.

In 1997, they drew 2.19M fans. After that, they had the 1998 playoff berth/HR race and then Sosa was a huge draw for several years afterwards until his shocking fall from grace. The 2003 playoff run boosted attendance after the Sosa circus was over and of course in 2004 the Chicago media was counting down the days to the Cubs inevitable pennant. Since then, they haven't had (until now) enough bad seasons in a row to see significant drops in attendance. They did start seeing some empty seats in '06 as fans were stung by the Sox WS win followed by the Cubs subsequent 96 loss season. But, the Trib opened up their checkbook to nip that in the bud and got the team back in the playoffs for '07 and '08. The '07-'08 playoff seasons kept ticket sales sky high for a few years but now their attendance figures are coming back down to earth.

The Cubs attendance for sure this year has been carried by tourists and fans of the other team. Every time they are playing rivals like the Cardinals, Reds, or Brewers, I see thousands of people in the other teams' gear on the l or in and around the neighborhood (I live pretty close to Wrigleyville). If they had to play a season at the Cell to work on Wrigley, they'd struggle to get 15,000 per game to watch this product.

That's always going keep Cubs attendance respectable even during lean years. That's what irks me about people constantly saying that Cubs fans are great fans and Sox fans are terrible fans because of attendance. So much of that is driven by people who are going to Wrigley because of the neighborhood and because of the ballpark's fame.

No denying that the Cubs have that going in their favor, but that doesn't make their fan base better than Sox fans.

kittle42
09-09-2013, 12:37 PM
Cards games at Wrigley this season have been consistent seas of red. It's been great.

SOXPHILE
09-09-2013, 12:55 PM
Another thing I learned today comes courtesy of Jeff Samardzija, in an article in today's Tribune about the possibility of the Cubs losing 50 games at home this year. According to Jeff, they were "lights out at home" last year, and "kind of struggling on the road to get their rhythm".

Hmm....a quick look back at their 2012 season (that would be a 101 loss season) - shows they were 38-43 at home, and 23-58 on the road. So, 5 games under .500 is "lights out" now ? 35 games under .500 is "kind of struggling" on the road ?

This is good to know, because by those standards, the White Sox, 32-34 at home so far, are LIGHTS OUT at U.S. Cellular. I don't feel so bad now.......

Foulke You
09-09-2013, 01:57 PM
Another thing I learned today comes courtesy of Jeff Samardzija, in an article in today's Tribune about the possibility of the Cubs losing 50 games at home this year. According to Jeff, they were "lights out at home" last year, and "kind of struggling on the road to get their rhythm".

Hmm....a quick look back at their 2012 season (that would be a 101 loss season) - shows they were 38-43 at home, and 23-58 on the road. So, 5 games under .500 is "lights out" now ? 35 games under .500 is "kind of struggling" on the road ?

This is good to know, because by those standards, the White Sox, 32-34 at home so far, are LIGHTS OUT at U.S. Cellular. I don't feel so bad now.......
Old Jeff is in denial. Contrast this with Paulie's take on it. When Konerko was asked to explain the disparity between the Sox home and road record this year, his reply was: "I'm sure we played like **** at home too" :cool:

JB98
09-09-2013, 02:06 PM
The old "Cubbies sell out no matter what" thing has always been an urban myth. **** 'em. They are terrible, and no one should be surprised if "Theo's" master plan fails. Future Hall of Famer Jorge Soler hasn't played since June, and Mike Olt sucks. Those *******s think Samardzija is an ace, too. The ****er has a 4.29 ERA in the National League. Best pitcher in Chicago.

Samardzija would be the No. 4 starter on the miserable, woeful 2013 White Sox.

Noneck
09-09-2013, 02:57 PM
They are still averaging over 32k per game with a team that has been crap for awhile. Their payroll keeps decreasing so I'm sure ownership isnt too worried yet. The no shows may be more of a concern and more will be known about that after next years preseason tickets go on the market. I'd say at least 20 MLB teams would love the "problem" the cubs are having now.

LITTLE NELL
09-09-2013, 03:01 PM
They are still averaging over 32k per game with a team that has been crap for awhile. Their payroll keeps decreasing so I'm sure ownership isnt too worried yet. The no shows may be more of a concern and more will be known about that after next years preseason tickets go on the market. I'd say at least 20 MLB teams would love the "problem" the cubs are having now.

Including the one 8 miles south of Wrigley Field.

kittle42
09-09-2013, 03:50 PM
The old "Cubbies sell out no matter what" thing has always been an urban myth. **** 'em. They are terrible, and no one should be surprised if "Theo's" master plan fails. Future Hall of Famer Jorge Soler hasn't played since June, and Mike Olt sucks. Those *******s think Samardzija is an ace, too. The ****er has a 4.29 ERA in the National League. Best pitcher in Chicago.

Rizzo has also not exactly had a solid 2013 campaign.

Oh, and Castro sucks, but he was here already.

They also failed to trade Kevin Gregg for anything, which might be the worst non-deal of the season.

kittle42
09-09-2013, 03:51 PM

No doubt, but any fanbase that prides itself on little but attendance and a fun ballpark needs a kick in the mouth.

Noneck
09-09-2013, 04:09 PM
They also failed to trade Kevin Gregg for anything, which might be the worst non-deal of the season.

Is it possible that no team wanted gregg? The other one that has been in my mind for awhile is Lindstrom. I would figure the Sox would have dumped him even for a bag of balls to save some salary. Lindstrom has a 4M club option, which seems to be a stretch as the reason he wasnt dumped.

robertks61
09-09-2013, 04:43 PM
I still get grief from north side moron fans. I told one guy you may want to watch a game and see how many fans are dressed up as empty green seats.

ZombieRob
09-09-2013, 08:05 PM
Rizzo has also not exactly had a solid 2013 campaign.

Oh, and Castro sucks, but he was here already.

The league has caught up to Rizzo it seems. He may be the biggest bust in Chicago baseball history for the money and years he got.

ZombieRob
09-09-2013, 08:06 PM

greatness. You and Crawdad are the best as spewing Cub hate.

gaelhound
09-09-2013, 10:14 PM
We're on the same page, for once. I have made sure not to mention this article to Hangar, as his head (and other things) may have exploded in glee.

I love Hangar.

chisoxfanatic
09-09-2013, 10:53 PM
I went to Wrigley last Tuesday for some staff bonding (boss gave all of us free tickets), and I could've sworn that everyone there could've fit in the infield seats on the lower deck. Huge swaths of empty seats were present, including some full sections. There were some people wearing Marlins gear too.

SOXPHILE
09-10-2013, 08:31 AM
I went to Wrigley last Tuesday for some staff bonding (boss gave all of us free tickets), and I could've sworn that everyone there could've fit in the infield seats on the lower deck. Huge swaths of empty seats were present, including some full sections. There were some people wearing Marlins gear too.

I saw a highlight on MLB.com, which showed the grand slam by Lake on Friday against the Brew. I had to rewind and pause the video a couple of times because I could not believe what I was seeing. As he rounded third, the camera shot was looking from the upper deck first base side towards the third base side, and I could see almost the whole upper and lower deck on that side. It was so empty, it reminded me of some of the games I remember going to as a little kid in the late 70's and early 80's, before the 1984 explosion. I remember the upper deck actually being closed on some of those days. I could not believe I was seeing Wrigley Field, and a sunny, warm, Friday afternoon, and it looked like may a few thousand people combined upper and lower decks, at least on that side of the park.

Foulke You
09-10-2013, 10:27 AM

Excellent post. Samardzija is yet another example of the Cubs hype machine. There were actually nonsense articles written during the crosstown series that said he was better than Sale. Rizzo is another one that went through the media coronation as a future HOF slugger when in reality, they will be lucky if he becomes the next Adam Laroche. It seems MLB scouts have caught up to him and that average has been falling like a rock. Rizzo also has one of the worst batting averages with RISP among MLB players with enough qualifying ABs.

Hitmen77
09-10-2013, 11:23 AM

:clap:

JB98
09-10-2013, 12:49 PM
Excellent post. Samardzija is yet another example of the Cubs hype machine. There were actually nonsense articles written during the crosstown series that said he was better than Sale. Rizzo is another one that went through the media coronation as a future HOF slugger when in reality, they will be lucky if he becomes the next Adam Laroche. It seems MLB scouts have caught up to him and that average has been falling like a rock. Rizzo also has one of the worst batting averages with RISP among MLB players with enough qualifying ABs.

That's exactly what I was referencing in my previous tirade. Yeah, Samardzija threw a two-hitter in the crosstown series. So what? Lots of pitchers have owned this weak-hitting Sox team this season, including the great Scott Feldman.

I've seen Sale dominate some of the best lineups in the American League this year. Look at his last two starts against New York and Detroit. Hell, he's got three wins against the Tigers this year. Let's see the great Samardzija post a sub-3 ERA in the American League. He can't even get his damn ERA below 4 in the National League.

It's just now starting to dawn on these Cubbie idiots that Travis Wood has been that team's best pitcher from start to finish this year.

I've heard two different commentators this year say Rizzo "will one day go for 40 and 120 every year." Laughable statement. Miguel Cabrera has had only two seasons of 40 and 120 in his career. Pujols did it five times, I believe, and Frank Thomas did that three times. Joey Votto has never done that. Nobody goes for "40 and 120 every year." Ridiculous to place those expectations on anybody.

DumpJerry
09-10-2013, 02:46 PM
That's exactly what I was referencing in my previous tirade. Yeah, Samardzija threw a two-hitter in the crosstown series. So what? Lots of pitchers have owned this weak-hitting Sox team this season, including the great Scott Feldman.

I've seen Sale dominate some of the best lineups in the American League this year. Look at his last two starts against New York and Detroit. Hell, he's got three wins against the Tigers this year. Let's see the great Samardzija post a sub-3 ERA in the American League. He can't even get his damn ERA below 4 in the National League.

It's just now starting to dawn on these Cubbie idiots that Travis Wood has been that team's best pitcher from start to finish this year.

I've heard two different commentators this year say Rizzo "will one day go for 40 and 120 every year." Laughable statement. Miguel Cabrera has had only two seasons of 40 and 120 in his career. Pujols did it five times, I believe, and Frank Thomas did that three times. Joey Votto has never done that. Nobody goes for "40 and 120 every year." Ridiculous to place those expectations on anybody.
Want to see a Cub fan's head explode? Show him/her Rizzo's 2013 hitting stats and Adam Dunn's 2013 hitting stats without their names attached. Ask which one is Rizzo and which one is Dunn......he he.

bestkosher
09-12-2013, 07:08 AM
[QUOTE=

They also failed to trade Kevin Gregg for anything, which might be the worst non-deal of the season.[/QUOTE]
Well Boston did not need relief help so he was kind of screwed.

cws05champ
09-12-2013, 08:30 AM
Want to see a Cub fan's head explode? Show him/her Rizzo's 2013 hitting stats and Adam Dunn's 2013 hitting stats without their names attached. Ask which one is Rizzo and which one is Dunn......he he.
Yeah, but attach their salaries and age and it will become apparent who you would want.

DrCrawdad
09-12-2013, 12:58 PM
Yeah, but attach their salaries and age and it will become apparent who you would want.

The Sox owe Dunn 1 more year at 15 million. The Cubbies owe Rizzo 29 million + over the next the next 6 years. If Rizzo doesn't not turn it around the Cubbies won't be too happy paying Rizzo thru 2019.

TheVulture
09-12-2013, 01:13 PM
I went to Wrigley last Tuesday...

http://www.movie-pictures.ru/upload/poster-1bc465c5b1.jpg

Blasphemer!!!

bestkosher
09-12-2013, 09:01 PM

Blasphemer!!!

Thats great!!! Now are any of you here women..

C-Dawg
09-13-2013, 07:10 AM
I had to rewind and pause the video a couple of times because I could not believe what I was seeing. As he rounded third, the camera shot was looking from the upper deck first base side towards the third base side, and I could see almost the whole upper and lower deck on that side.

There was one a couple weeks ago, that ran into extras. It looked like there weren't any more than about 5000 people left. Everyone must've gone to the bars.

QueerGirrl
09-13-2013, 12:04 PM

Blasphemer!!!

:roflmao: :rolling:

StillMissOzzie
09-14-2013, 12:25 AM

Dump, I am usually all in for a good Cub-bashing, but I think this comparison is a stretch. They have a few stats that are similar - Avg, RBI, HRs -, until you get to the strikeouts. Those soul-sucking, rally-killing, totally unproductive strikeouts. Dunn has struck out 61 more times with 55 fewer ABs than Rizzo. Dunn's SO/AB ratio is 35.6% compared to Rizzo's 20.9%. Put this another way, if Dunn had the same number of ABs as Rizzo with the same SO/AB ratio, he'd have 195 strikeouts, 80 more than Rizzo. Feel free to refine these stats for BBs, HBPs, etc, but I would wager the results will still be the same. Dunn strikes out WAY more than Rizzo, with all else being fairly comparable.

The one thing I would poke the Cubs for is locking their guy up for the long term when they still had Rizzo under control for 4 or 5 years. Yes, they are on the hook for a lot more over the next several years as opposed to the Sox having Dunn for $14M for the 2014 season. But I would rather have Rizzo's upside than the almost three years we have seen of Dunn.

SMO
:gulp:

TDog
09-14-2013, 01:54 AM
Dump, I am usually all in for a good Cub-bashing, but I think this comparison is a stretch. They have a few stats that are similar - Avg, RBI, HRs -, until you get to the strikeouts. Those soul-sucking, rally-killing, totally unproductive strikeouts. Dunn has struck out 61 more times with 55 fewer ABs than Rizzo. Dunn's SO/AB ratio is 35.6% compared to Rizzo's 20.9%. Put this another way, if Dunn had the same number of ABs as Rizzo with the same SO/AB ratio, he'd have 195 strikeouts, 80 more than Rizzo. Feel free to refine these stats for BBs, HBPs, etc, but I would wager the results will still be the same. Dunn strikes out WAY more than Rizzo, with all else being fairly comparable.

The one thing I would poke the Cubs for is locking their guy up for the long term when they still had Rizzo under control for 4 or 5 years. Yes, they are on the hook for a lot more over the next several years as opposed to the Sox having Dunn for $14M for the 2014 season. But I would rather have Rizzo's upside than the almost three years we have seen of Dunn.

SMO
:gulp:

I have been waiting for a few years for the peripheral stat fans to see how damaging strikeouts are to an offense and come up with an OPS thing that adjusts for strikeouts, subtracting a strikeout percentage from the combined percentages. Maybe it's already being calculated somewhere, but all I hear from stats people I talk to is that strikeouts are irrelevant.

SCCWS
09-14-2013, 11:06 AM
I have been waiting for a few years for the peripheral stat fans to see how damaging strikeouts are to an offense and come up with an OPS thing that adjusts for strikeouts, subtracting a strikeout percentage from the combined percentages. Maybe it's already being calculated somewhere, but all I hear from stats people I talk to is that strikeouts are irrelevant.

TDog: You lost me. A strikeout is no more damaging than any other out that counts against a batter. I think the only time an "out" can be productive is when an error occurs. That would be an AB considered an out but is positive for the offense. So a foul out is just as bad as a strikeout. Now if the batter tags up on a foulout, it is a sacrifice and not considered an AB. But the majority of strikeouts are just as bad as a regular out so treating strikouts different would be misleading.

LITTLE NELL
09-14-2013, 02:51 PM
TDog: You lost me. A strikeout is no more damaging than any other out that counts against a batter. I think the only time an "out" can be productive is when an error occurs. That would be an AB considered an out but is positive for the offense. So a foul out is just as bad as a strikeout. Now if the batter tags up on a foulout, it is a sacrifice and not considered an AB. But the majority of strikeouts are just as bad as a regular out so treating strikouts different would be misleading.

I agree with TDog, with a runner on 3rd and less than 2 outs a ground ball out might get the guy home where a strikeout gets nothing.

SCCWS
09-15-2013, 08:39 AM
I agree with TDog, with a runner on 3rd and less than 2 outs a ground ball out might get the guy home where a strikeout gets nothing.

Nell: But the batter gets credit for an RBI in that case. The question is should a strikeout be counted different than a ground out with no one on base. I say no.

LITTLE NELL
09-15-2013, 09:27 AM
Nell: But the batter gets credit for an RBI in that case. The question is should a strikeout be counted different than a ground out with no one on base. I sat no.

Only the hitter feeling a little bit better about himself.

DrCrawdad
09-15-2013, 08:59 PM
...The one thing I would poke the Cubs for is locking their guy up for the long term when they still had Rizzo under control for 4 or 5 years. Yes, they are on the hook for a lot more over the next several years as opposed to the Sox having Dunn for $14M for the 2014 season. But I would rather have Rizzo's upside than the almost three years we have seen of Dunn.

I doubt many Sox fans are happy with Dunn's production with the Sox. Dunn though was paid on the basis of what he had already achieved at the ML level. Rizzo has potential upside but unless he lives up to that potential the length of this contract will be the major hurt.

Tragg
09-20-2013, 11:00 PM

Really, though, how were they supposed to get anything for Gregg? That's like saying we didn't trade Lindstrom for anything.

Noneck
09-20-2013, 11:56 PM
Really, though, how were they supposed to get anything for Gregg? That's like saying we didn't trade Lindstrom for anything.

I have to disagree with you on that. I think Lindstrom had worth ( even just salary relief), Gregg didnt. Why Lindstrom wasnt traded, I dont know.

Tragg
09-21-2013, 12:16 AM
and Mike Olt sucks.

Sucks? Let's see....
With the Cubs AAA, he pulled his K rate down to only 24%, and he almost hit .170!
Centerpiece!