PDA

View Full Version : 2013 Astros: Most Profitable Team Ever

DSpivack
08-26-2013, 11:40 AM
So sayeth Forbes.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/danalexander/2013/08/26/2013-houston-astros-baseballs-worst-team-is-most-profitable-in-history/

cub killer
08-26-2013, 07:44 PM
I wonder if other teams will join them, and pay smaller salaries for bigger profits. And I wonder if that would constitute as collusion if that happened.

amsteel
08-26-2013, 08:09 PM
I wonder if other teams will join them, and pay smaller salaries for bigger profits. And I wonder if that would constitute as collusion if that happened.

I thought so to at first, but it's not sustainable. No one wants to see a perpetually bad team that doesn't even bother to hide the fact the only reason the owner is in the game is to make money.

Boondock Saint
08-26-2013, 08:39 PM
I thought so to at first, but it's not sustainable. No one wants to see a perpetually bad team that doesn't even bother to hide the fact the only reason the owner is in the game is to make money.

Also, I fully expect the fans in Houston to revolt if a good portion of that profit isn't spent on improving the team.

DumpJerry
08-26-2013, 09:42 PM
If you were an owner would you do that or go for the Gold?

DSpivack
08-26-2013, 09:55 PM

Depends. Do I like the team? Or baseball at all?

Noneck
08-26-2013, 10:40 PM

All the clubs are making money hand over fist. The vast majority of ownerships are in it for the money. The astros didnt hide their profits well and probably got too greedy. To do it right they should have put a little more in payroll and cry the poor mouth routine. Talk about about the fans having to come to park so they can put more in payroll. Throw out whatever smoke screens you can to cover up the profits coming in and the worth of a franchise increasing year after year. Most people are naive and believe the poor mouth jive.

doublem23
08-26-2013, 11:29 PM
Also, I fully expect the fans in Houston to revolt if a good portion of that profit isn't spent on improving the team.

How much more could they really do? They only teams that draw less than the Astros are the pair from Baseball Hell (Florida).

Boondock Saint
08-27-2013, 01:23 AM
How much more could they really do? They only teams that draw less than the Astros are the pair from Baseball Hell (Florida).

Right now, people are still watching the games and buying merchandise (I assume, if they're pulling in a $100m profit, that money has to be coming from somewhere). If the team continues to sacrifice success for profit, fans will stop buying merchandise, they'll stop watching the games at all, and the team will lose sponsors. It won't be quick, but that profit will evaporate.

cub killer
08-27-2013, 02:31 AM
If by Gold, you mean the World Series title, I'd go for the Gold.

The younger me would definitely have said "Screw the fans, gimme the $$$". But bad times have turned me into a God and karma fearing bloke, so there's no way I can screw the fans over like that.

russ99
08-27-2013, 09:30 AM

Most of the profits are coming from that cable deal they signed in the offseason - ironically the channel that still can't be watched by over half of Houston's cable/sat subscribers.

They've invested tons into the draft, international players (they had the highest budget of all teams in both drafts) prospect trades and player development this year. Plus all but one of their minor league affiliates will be in the minor league playoffs.

But yes, they need spend a little in FA, three #1 picks three years straight are enough.

I'd say they need to ditch Carter and Wallace and bring in two decent middle of the order bats this offseason, not to mention get something remotely decent in the bullpen. Not saying they'll be good but 85-95 losses are better that what they're doing now.

EDIT - Astros owner rebuts: linky (http://blog.chron.com/ultimateastros/2013/08/26/full-transcript-of-jim-cranes-rebuttal-to-the-forbes-claims/)

GoSox2K3
08-27-2013, 09:41 AM
Most of the profits are coming from that cable deal they signed in the offseason - ironically the channel that still can't be watched by over half of Houston's cable/sat subscribers.

They've invested tons into the draft, international players (they had the highest budget of all teams in both drafts) prospect trades and player development this year. Plus all but one of their minor league affiliates will be in the minor league playoffs.

But yes, they need spend a little in FA, three #1 picks three years straight are enough.

I'd say they need to ditch Carter and Wallace and bring in two decent middle of the order bats this offseason, not to mention get something remotely decent in the bullpen. Not saying they'll be good but 85-95 losses are better that what they're doing now.

EDIT - Astros owner rebuts: linky (http://blog.chron.com/ultimateastros/2013/08/26/full-transcript-of-jim-cranes-rebuttal-to-the-forbes-claims/)

Agreed. I don't think this is a Loria/Marlins situation. Let's see where the Astros are in a couple of years.

I'm not advocating a total rebuild for the Sox, but it wouldn't shock me if the Astros are back in the playoffs before the Sox are.

kittle42
08-27-2013, 10:34 AM
Right now, people are still watching the games and buying merchandise (I assume, if they're pulling in a $100m profit, that money has to be coming from somewhere). If the team continues to sacrifice success for profit, fans will stop buying merchandise, they'll stop watching the games at all, and the team will lose sponsors. It won't be quick, but that profit will evaporate.

No way! Those Jose Altuve jerseys will keep flying off the racks!

doublem23
08-27-2013, 10:54 AM

Maybe they won't be the most profitable team ever, but they will still turn a healthy profit, remember the Pirates were having no trouble making ends meet despite 20 or so consecutive losing seasons. Anybody who thinks any pro sports team in America isn't doing AMAZING in the money department is seriously na´ve.

Hitmen77
08-27-2013, 12:38 PM

If I'm not mistaken, MLB merchandise sales are shared evenly between all the teams in the league.

Lemon44
08-27-2013, 07:39 PM
Don't forget the luxury tax. The Yankees funded teams for years with their spending.

All teams make money. Their (self-perceived) problem comes when they aren't making enough money. Fifteen years ago the Bulls were turning a profit, but not nearly enough. So, the six-time champs were broken up.

cws05champ
08-27-2013, 08:57 PM
Agreed. I don't think this is a Loria/Marlins situation. Let's see where the Astros are in a couple of years.

I'm not advocating a total rebuild for the Sox, but it wouldn't shock me if the Astros are back in the playoffs before the Sox are.
Really....what is the point in spending money on bad or middling free Agents when you aren't even close to competing anyway? If they stock pile their money/invest it for future years in 2015 maybe they go out and spend more of that money. They are in a division with Tex/LAA, they have to pick a time they think they are ready to start spending money.

ComiskeyBrewer
08-28-2013, 01:55 AM
Really....what is the point in spending money on bad or middling free Agents when you aren't even close to competing anyway? If they stock pile their money/invest it for future years in 2015 maybe they go out and spend more of that money. They are in a division with Tex/LAA, they have to pick a time they think they are ready to start spending money.

Agreed. This isn't the NFL where the money doesn't roll over. If the Astros were planning a complete rebuild, why spend an extra $20 million(to go from a 65 win team to a 69 win team) that can be saved to help a competing team in 4 years?

white sox bill
08-28-2013, 06:42 AM
:reinsyHey I'm flying down to Houston, we need to talk!

kittle42
08-28-2013, 09:57 AM
Agreed. This isn't the NFL where the money doesn't roll over. If the Astros were planning a complete rebuild, why spend an extra $20 million(to go from a 65 win team to a 69 win team) that can be saved to help a competing team in 4 years?

It's the Sox model!

QCIASOXFAN
08-28-2013, 11:22 PM

Yep. And Houston is completely loaded already with 8 prospects ranked in the top 100. Plus another #1 next year. We have there A club here in the QC and they are probably gonna win their league. Carlos Correa (1st pick last year) is only 18 and is hitting .322 with 77 rbis. Throw in Mark Appel and Lance McCullers pitching among several other players and in 15-16 this team could compete.