PDA

View Full Version : Catchers suffering more concussions

#1swisher
08-21-2013, 06:49 PM
Joe Mauer joins Alex Avila, John Jaso, Carlos Corporan and Yorvit Torrealba on the DL. Within the past month Salvador Perez, Ryan Doumit and David Ross have been sidelined by concussions.

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/08/21/catchers-are-suffering-concussions-at-an-alarming-rate/

WLL1855
08-21-2013, 11:31 PM
At least part of it is more awareness by teams and players putting ego aside and admitting when they are hurt.

doublem23
08-22-2013, 01:24 AM
They need to outlaw collisions at the plate. You beat the throw, you score, throw beats you, you're out. End of story.

MUsoxfan
08-22-2013, 01:27 AM
They need to outlaw collisions at the plate. You beat the throw, you score, throw beats you, you're out. End of story.

Even if the catcher doesn't catch it? What if he does catch it, but the runner is a foot away?

WhiteSox5187
08-22-2013, 02:03 AM

Mauer's was caused by a foul ball and I would wager that most of these concussions are caused by that.

gobears1987
08-22-2013, 06:24 AM
Mauer's was caused by a foul ball and I would wager that most of these concussions are caused by that.

Bingo. A foul tip that goes directly to the mask is the culprit in the majority of these cases.

doublem23
08-22-2013, 07:51 AM
Even if the catcher doesn't catch it? What if he does catch it, but the runner is a foot away?

Well, if there's a bad throw today, the run will score because the catcher or someone else has to get the ball. I'm talking about disallowing runners to try and dislodge the ball from catchers. Treat home like the other 3 bases, the catcher is not allowed to completely block the plate from runner and the runner is not allowed to truck the catcher. I'm well aware that won't eliminate the risk catchers face, but this is a pretty easy way to get rid of some.

Chez
08-22-2013, 10:50 AM

They need to outlaw foul balls that hit the catcher in the mask. :D:

Irishsox1
08-22-2013, 11:09 AM
Umps take a lot of foul balls off the head, maybe this foul ball issue is effecting aging umpires ability to properly call games?