PDA

View Full Version : Kenny misses being GM

pudge
08-14-2013, 12:52 PM
Really interesting quotes - you can tell he misses it. I think we all sometimes think the grass is going to be greener doing something else and it isn't always the case. Also really fascinating to hear JR and Kenny lamenting the team until 1:30 in the morning. I know most fans will respond to this with negativity, but I think it's cool to know these guys care, they are human, they are doing what they think is right. We may not agree with every move, but they want success for this franchise as much as fans do.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/ct-spt-0814-williams-white-sox-tigers-chicago-20130814,0,592539.story

blandman
08-14-2013, 01:11 PM
Really interesting quotes - you can tell he misses it. I think we all sometimes think the grass is going to be greener doing something else and it isn't always the case. Also really fascinating to hear JR and Kenny lamenting the team until 1:30 in the morning. I know most fans will respond to this with negativity, but I think it's cool to know these guys care, they are human, they are doing what they think is right. We may not agree with every move, but they want success for this franchise as much as fans do.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/ct-spt-0814-williams-white-sox-tigers-chicago-20130814,0,592539.story

I got the same impression. I wonder with how well Kenny and Jerry get along and the mess that this season was if Jerry fires Hahn and lets Kenny do both jobs.

TaylorStSox
08-14-2013, 01:12 PM
I got the same impression. I wonder with how well Kenny and Jerry get along and the mess that this season was if Jerry fires Hahn and lets Kenny do both jobs.

I need a translator for this one. :scratch:

XplodingScorbord
08-14-2013, 01:15 PM

He's saying that because KW and JR get along so well, and because this season went poorly, he wonders if Hahn is going to get fired and Kenny is going to resume being GM.

To which I say: Zero percent chance.

SCCWS
08-14-2013, 01:16 PM
I need a translator for this one. :scratch:

Thank you, I thought it was me at first.

pudge
08-14-2013, 01:17 PM
He's saying that because KW and JR get along so well, and because this season went poorly, he wonders if Hahn is going to get fired and Kenny is going to resume being GM.

To which I say: Zero percent chance.

Zero percent, and a horrible idea. Hahn is what is needed. None of this season is his fault. I am actually glad Kenny stepped aside, I just thought it was interesting he still craves the job.

SOXBOY
08-14-2013, 01:35 PM
I love how so far Hahn has handled cleaning up Kenny's mess of a team. I just wonder how much say so Kenny has with the moves Hahn makes or wants to make.

Domeshot17
08-14-2013, 01:39 PM
It was time for Kenny to go. I am sure Ozzie misses being a manager too, but I would not want him back either. 2005 is going on 10 years ago, and Kenny has not done much since. 2 quiet first round exits. We need a big picture guy, and Rick is it. I just hope he is not being handcuffed by Kenny.

thomas35forever
08-14-2013, 02:27 PM
I love how so far Hahn has handled cleaning up Kenny's mess of a team. I just wonder how much say so Kenny has with the moves Hahn makes or wants to make.
I should hope Kenny gave Hahn freedom to make moves without his consent. At least for the time being, Hahn should only be talking to Reinsdorf about potential moves. The GM who created this big a mess should not be consulted on how to clean it up.

Noneck
08-14-2013, 03:17 PM
I should hope Kenny gave Hahn freedom to make moves without his consent. At least for the time being, Hahn should only be talking to Reinsdorf about potential moves. The GM who created this big a mess should not be consulted on how to clean it up.

And if the mess was created by the guy who you think Hahn should now be talking to?

Huisj
08-14-2013, 03:26 PM
It was time for Kenny to go. I am sure Ozzie misses being a manager too, but I would not want him back either. 2005 is going on 10 years ago, and Kenny has not done much since. 2 quiet first round exits. We need a big picture guy, and Rick is it. I just hope he is not being handcuffed by Kenny.

That would be nice. It's actually only 1.

Domeshot17
08-14-2013, 03:30 PM
That would be nice. It's actually only 1.

Ugh, you are right, I don't know why I was thinking we had been back twice. Wow it has been a while!

bestkosher
08-14-2013, 04:44 PM
I sympathize with Kenny. Being in all the action and all furvor no matter how fustrating is something you miss when you no longer have it.

thomas35forever
08-14-2013, 04:56 PM
And if the mess was created by the guy who you think Hahn should now be talking to?
Reinsdorf, Ventura, Bell, hell, even Merkin would be a better guy to consult on these issues.

shingo10
08-14-2013, 04:59 PM
It's not at all fair to say that Kenny is fully responsible for the mess this year. Hahn was in charge this offseason and decided to bring back the exact same club that choked away a division title, largely because they couldn't hit. He didn't address it. Both of them get the blame.

doublem23
08-14-2013, 05:24 PM
It's not at all fair to say that Kenny is fully responsible for the mess this year. Hahn was in charge this offseason and decided to bring back the exact same club that choked away a division title, largely because they couldn't hit. He didn't address it. Both of them get the blame.

The Sox finished 4th in the AL in runs scored last year so saying they "couldn't hit" is a bit oversimplistic, their pitching also fell apart in the last month of the season, hell, I think even Chris Sale had a miserable September.

blandman
08-14-2013, 06:28 PM
The Sox finished 4th in the AL in runs scored last year so saying they "couldn't hit" is a bit oversimplistic, their pitching also fell apart in the last month of the season, hell, I think even Chris Sale had a miserable September.

He let last year's best hitter walk and replaced him with a black hole, setup our defense for disaster by throwing Keppinger out there, and did nothing with left field instead banking on improvement from one of the worst overall everyday players in the league last year (who, surprise to no one, is just as bad if not worse this year).

He's not to blame for the state of the organization as a whole, and he's made some decent deadline moves, but let's not act like he's not 100% to blame for us being THIS bad. He made some really ****ty calls that sunk our season as early as the Marlins. You don't "luck" into being this bad. It takes effort.

pudge
08-14-2013, 07:00 PM
He let last year's best hitter walk and replaced him with a black hole, setup our defense for disaster by throwing Keppinger out there, and did nothing with left field instead banking on improvement from one of the worst overall everyday players in the league last year (who, surprise to no one, is just as bad if not worse this year).

He's not to blame for the state of the organization as a whole, and he's made some decent deadline moves, but let's not act like he's not 100% to blame for us being THIS bad. He made some really ****ty calls that sunk our season as early as the Marlins. You don't "luck" into being this bad. It takes effort.

Seriously? What exactly did you want him to do? You blame him for trotting out a crappy offense and simultaneously blame him for bringing in a .285 career contact hitter (Keppinger) which they badly needed. He has two measly errors this year. They had to stick with Viciedo and find out what they had there. He inherited no cash thanks to Rios and Dunn. He managed to re-sign Peavy which was brilliant - worst case they trade him for prospects, which is exactly what they did. I just don't see what Hahn could have done this season. If you want to blame someone for being historically bad, blame the manager for not having his team prepared, blame the old GM for horrid contracts. Don't think we can blame Hahn yet.

SCCWS
08-14-2013, 07:03 PM
He let last year's best hitter walk and replaced him with a black hole, setup our defense for disaster by throwing Keppinger out there,

Keppinger replaced Youk at 3rd. Youk had very limited range last year and ne made errors. Keppinger has very little range but has no errors playing 3rd base. I think offensively he is a disaster but compared to Youk not defensively. If they resigned Youk and he got hurt again as he did in NY, people would have called that a bad move.

Noneck
08-14-2013, 07:54 PM
Reinsdorf, Ventura, Bell, hell, even Merkin would be a better guy to consult on these issues.

You ever think that maybe Williams was talking to the same guy that you think Hahn should be talking to now?

WhiteSox5187
08-14-2013, 08:28 PM

I think Hahn made the right moves. Last year was probably the last hurrah for a lot of guys on the team and I think that Hahn knew that and tried to run a holding pattern while preparing to get younger. I think that that was the right thing to do.

captain54
08-14-2013, 10:46 PM
I know most fans will respond to this with negativity, but I think it's cool to know these guys care, they are human, they are doing what they think is right. We may not agree with every move, but they want success for this franchise as much as fans do.

they did what they thought was right, as an organization, and it has turned into not only a bad season, but a historically bad, one of the worst in a generation seasons... so is anyone held accountable? The Kenny/JR combo post 05' has not been able to figure it out..

they want success..don't we all.. Hell, it would be cool if Scarlett Johansson was hot for me, but I just don't have the goods to deliver what she wants...compared to what she can find

34rancher
08-14-2013, 10:57 PM
Kenny has been through a lot with his girlfriend and cancer. I'm sure he's had a really rough year with everything. He probably just misses his version of normalcy.

Hitmen77
08-26-2013, 11:59 AM
KW wants more "grind" on the Sox roster:
http://www.dailyherald.com/article/20130825/sports/708259805/