PDA

View Full Version : Sox put Konerko on the Waiver Wire

24thStFan
08-13-2013, 04:23 PM
White Sox veteran slugger Paul Konerko has been placed on waivers, 670 The Score contributor Ken Rosenthal reports.

DeadMoney
08-13-2013, 04:37 PM
Well he was placed on waivers, not waived; different things. Which, in turn, makes this non-news because he isn't going anywhere.

amsteel
08-13-2013, 04:44 PM
So, first he is not on the trading block, but now he gets put on waivers? Either PK or the Sox changed their mind.

Boondock Saint
08-13-2013, 04:45 PM
Well he was placed on waivers, not waived; different things. Which, in turn, makes this non-news because he isn't going anywhere.

Bingo. Super misleading title.

Milw
08-13-2013, 04:48 PM
It makes me sad how few baseball fans understand the concept of waivers.

SBSoxFan
08-13-2013, 04:56 PM

Right. Probably half the team was placed on waivers. But why couldn't he be going to a contender for one last run?

LITTLE NELL
08-13-2013, 04:57 PM
I'm sure that PK is not in any future Sox plans but it looks like they are giving him a chance to be picked up by a contender so he will go out a winner.
I think this is his last year but if I was in charge I would want him to finish the year in Chicago and be given a big appreciation day on the last Sunday home game.

russ99
08-13-2013, 05:08 PM
Hopefully nobody claims him.

While I understand the idea of letting Paul go to a team that can give him a playoff shot, I'd really prefer giving him one last run as a Sox player.

Especially considering he may retire after the season.

kittle42
08-13-2013, 05:08 PM
Sigh.

Almost every player is put on waivers this time of the year. Why does this seem to be "news" every season?

Mr. Jinx
08-13-2013, 05:25 PM
What a terrible, terrible, misleading title.

voodoochile
08-13-2013, 05:56 PM
I fixed the title it was horribly deceptive.

This isn't news every player on the team almost will be put through the waiver wire.

#1swisher
08-13-2013, 07:30 PM
Konerko will either clear or be claimed by 1 PM EST on Wednesday.

http://www.mlbdailydish.com/2013/8/13/4618904/justin-morneau-paul-konerko-placed-on-revocable-trade-waivers-white-sox-twins?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Mr. Jinx
08-13-2013, 07:31 PM
Could we just have 1 thread that lists everyone who has been put through waivers since it will be over half the league.

24thStFan
08-13-2013, 08:12 PM
Could we just have 1 thread that lists everyone who has been put through waivers since it will be over half the league.

What a terrible, terrible idea.

Mr. Jinx
08-13-2013, 08:41 PM
What a terrible, terrible idea.

I suppose we should also have threads for when each player eats breakfast or goes to the bathroom too, would be just as useful.

24thStFan
08-13-2013, 08:47 PM
I suppose we should also have threads for when each player eats breakfast or goes to the bathroom too, would be just as useful.

I'll be sure to run my posts by you so you can decide if they're "useful".

Noneck
08-13-2013, 09:07 PM

Someone leaked the info out , so thats the story and if there is smoke there may be fire.

SBSoxFan
08-13-2013, 09:07 PM

Wouldn't that be facebook?

cws05champ
08-13-2013, 09:20 PM
Hopefully nobody claims him.

While I understand the idea of letting Paul go to a team that can give him a playoff shot, I'd really prefer giving him one last run as a Sox player.

Especially considering he may retire after the season.

Even if he goes somewhere else for two months to try and win he will still come back and probably retire (even if it's a one day contract) as a White Sox. I see no harm in letting him go, and even possibly get a low level minor league player for him. It will save another $3.5M that can be used for the coming offseason (for Abreu :D:) or for scouting/development. Considering how everyone around here was so gung ho about dumping contracts, I don't see any difference with Konerko. I'd rather see him go to a team that has a shot at the playoffs than play out the string on a really bad Sox team. He'll always be welcomed back and cheered on Paul Konerko day at the park.

voodoochile
08-13-2013, 09:26 PM
While the original title of this thread was poorly worded I have to agree that the news that PK has been submitted for the waiver wire deserves it's own thread. He's been the captain of the team and a Sox fixture for a long time. He'll have his own statue (of him handing "the ball" to JR) one of these days.

shes
08-13-2013, 10:04 PM
It makes me sad how few baseball fans understand the concept of waivers.

To be fair, Buddy Bell admitted last week that he "doesn't really know how this waiver wire stuff works."

Our assistant GM, folks!

So you can forgive a fan if he is similarly confused.

Mr. Jinx
08-14-2013, 12:09 AM
I'll be sure to run my posts by you so you can decide if they're "useful".

I apologize for being insensitive, however you did lead off a post with a wildly misleading title stating that Paulie was waived, which is not the case.

Mr. Jinx
08-14-2013, 12:09 AM
Wouldn't that be facebook?

More likely twitter.

Mr. Jinx
08-14-2013, 12:11 AM
While the original title of this thread was poorly worded I have to agree that the news that PK has been submitted for the waiver wire deserves it's own thread. He's been the captain of the team and a Sox fixture for a long time. He'll have his own statue (of him handing "the ball" to JR) one of these days.

I very much doubt this was the first time this has happened with him. Generally a large majority of players are submitted to the waiver wire simply as a procedural move in August.

jcw218
08-14-2013, 04:05 AM
I very much doubt this was the first time this has happened with him. Generally a large majority of players are submitted to the waiver wire simply as a procedural move in August.

This. Often times teams will put several players on waivers at the same time in order to either gauge interest in players or to try and hide someone that they already have agreed to move.

DeadMoney
08-14-2013, 08:14 AM
Someone leaked the info out , so thats the story and if there is smoke there may be fire.

Not necessarily.

It could've easily been a situation where Rosenthal was checking up with a good source (from any team) in baseball who was just updating him on 'bigger' names the source saw go on to waivers in the last few days. It's not like putting a guy through waivers is a big secret to anyone in the league.

doublem23
08-14-2013, 08:32 AM
I'm sorry, are people actually out there believing there is a market for expensive, aging players who currently can't hit, can't field, and can't stay healthy?

skobabe8
08-14-2013, 09:34 AM
Sigh.

Almost every player is put on waivers this time of the year. Why does this seem to be "news" every season?

Because Ken Rosenthal is reporting it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tragg
08-14-2013, 10:17 AM
I think the PK question the Sox will face is how to use him in the last month, with players to develop and still trying to win games.

Dibbs
08-14-2013, 10:26 AM
I for one would be happy to see Pauly finish out his career playing for a contender. I would also like to make sure all of Frank's team records stay intact.

Milw
08-14-2013, 10:49 AM
I think the PK question the Sox will face is how to use him in the last month, with players to develop and still trying to win games.
I'd be happy to platoon him with Dunn at DH and give Viciedo a one-month tryout at 1B. Opens up an outfield spot for a prospect, gives us an idea whether Viciedo can play over there, and gives our over-the-hill slugger a graceful exit.

TaylorStSox
08-14-2013, 10:52 AM
It's sacrilege to most of you guys, but I'll say it. I would love it if last night was the last time I have to watch Konerko bat. There's nothing worse than watching a veteran whose skills have diminished so much that its painful to watch him hit. It's like he's swinging Frank's iron bar. His bat is just incredibly slow. I wish he would hang em up and let the kids finish out the season.

voodoochile
08-14-2013, 11:10 AM
I'd be happy to platoon him with Dunn at DH and give Viciedo a one-month tryout at 1B. Opens up an outfield spot for a prospect, gives us an idea whether Viciedo can play over there, and gives our over-the-hill slugger a graceful exit.

Rather they work on moving Tank to 1B in the off-season where he can get plenty of reps. I know losing games doesn't matter and is probably preferable in the long run but no point in looking like complete assclowns in the process...

soxfanreggie
08-15-2013, 06:37 AM
Rather they work on moving Tank to 1B in the off-season where he can get plenty of reps. I know losing games doesn't matter and is probably preferable in the long run but no point in looking like complete assclowns in the process...

Yes, you want him to have ample skill-building time in the offseason so he doesn't become discouraged at the start.

tstrike2000
08-15-2013, 08:19 AM

I know we have to field a team, but not sure we should keep Viciedo either.

skobabe8
08-15-2013, 10:21 AM

This made me chuckle. :D: