PDA

View Full Version : Pretty Big International News ( Jose dariel Abreu)

getonbckthr
08-11-2013, 11:44 PM
Apparently he has escaped Cuba. He's a big time prospect and only 26 and at a position of need. With all the money we got rid of and Hahn talking about expanding internationally is this a potential place for him?
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/08/jose-dariel-abreu-escapes-from-cuba.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook (http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/08/jose-dariel-abreu-escapes-from-cuba.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook)

gr8mexico
08-12-2013, 12:45 AM
If the Sox think he's worth it then they should spend the money because it should be there. They're going to free around $50 mil from next year budget

KRS1
08-12-2013, 01:54 AM
Yes, please. I'd love for them to make a serious run at him.

DSpivack
08-12-2013, 02:31 AM
MLB Trade Rumors linked to a Jonah Keri article about him from last year. Keri tweeted out a link to a more detailed Ben Badler piece from today:

http://t.co/72pnnJ7Jzb

Fastball23
08-12-2013, 12:52 PM
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/08/jose-dariel-abreu-escapes-from-cuba.html

He could be our next 1B for many years to come

Domeshot17
08-12-2013, 02:01 PM
This has Yankees written all over it....too bad, would love him

Bobby Thigpen
08-12-2013, 02:17 PM
You're just full of ideas on what the Sox should do aren't you?

Maybe you should buy the team or apply to be GM.

DVsoxfan
08-12-2013, 02:20 PM
This is actually a pretty good idea though...

Mr. Jinx
08-12-2013, 02:41 PM
This is actually a pretty good idea though...

I agree, especially when it has already been talked about a bit in the talking baseball thread.

Domeshot17
08-12-2013, 04:00 PM
http://whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=138925

GoSox2K3
08-12-2013, 04:28 PM

The nerve of some people to express ideas about the Sox on a White Sox discussion board! They should either get a job with the team or shut up.

:rolleyes:

soltrain21
08-12-2013, 05:39 PM

What else would you allow him to talk about, oh wise one?

Deadguy
08-12-2013, 07:38 PM
The best player in the world not in the Majors and a potential MVP Candidate who is still in his prime. He's going to get a lot of money.

Bobby Thigpen
08-12-2013, 07:53 PM
There's talking about the team and there's continuing to post the Sox should do this or hire him or sign them.

Marqhead
08-12-2013, 08:54 PM
The Sox should stand pat and do nothing.

Bobby Thigpen
08-12-2013, 09:26 PM
Ya. They should dump as much money as possible on someone who could be a monumental failure.

Wait. They did that with Adam Dunn. And that's exactly why they are where they are.

getonbckthr
08-12-2013, 09:44 PM
The best player in the world not in the Majors and a potential MVP Candidate who is still in his prime. He's going to get a lot of money.

Ya. They should dump as much money as possible on someone who could be a monumental failure.

Wait. They did that with Adam Dunn. And that's exactly why they are where they are.
I realize he may get a ton of money but the only international players I can remember that didn't earn the money they got would be Fukudome, Irabu and Kazuo Matsui. Everyone else has pretty much earned what they got. Granted there are still a couple kids in the Cubs organization who the jury is still out on.

Marqhead
08-12-2013, 09:47 PM

That's right. So they should take no risks and sit on the money.

amsteel
08-12-2013, 10:12 PM
This guy should thank Yasiel Puig for the overvaluation.

Bobby Thigpen
08-12-2013, 10:20 PM
If it means not out bidding the Yankees and Red Sox and Rangers and Dodgers and the ridiculous amounts of money they'll dump on an entirely unproven commodity then ya.

How about they use the amount of money this kid is going to sign for to sign 4 or 5 players who've actually proven they can play in the majors?

doublem23
08-12-2013, 11:38 PM

Why even play baseball? Release all the players and spend the cash on a kick ass fireworks show 81 times per night.

DSpivack
08-13-2013, 12:09 AM
If it means not out bidding the Yankees and Red Sox and Rangers and Dodgers and the ridiculous amounts of money they'll dump on an entirely unproven commodity then ya.

How about they use the amount of money this kid is going to sign for to sign 4 or 5 players who've actually proven they can play in the majors?

So the Sox should never sign any unproven commodities? No international players... ever? You would have hated to see Puig or Cespedes or Ichiro or Darvish on the White Sox?

Bobby Thigpen
08-13-2013, 12:26 AM
For everyone of those guys you get a Viciedo or Irabu or Shingo or someone else that doesn't pan out. You can't keep dumping money on single players at what will likely be a ridiculous salary when you need at least 5 position players. You think Dunn has handcuffed the Sox? What do you think a guy who may not even hit a major league home run would do if he was making even more money?

DSpivack
08-13-2013, 12:28 AM
For everyone of those guys you get a Viciedo or Irabu or Shingo or someone else that doesn't pan out. You can't keep dumping money on single players at what will likely be a ridiculous salary when you need at least 5 position players. You think Dunn has handcuffed the Sox? What do you think a guy who may not even hit a major league home run would do if he was making even more money?

Well, that's what scouting players is for. Abreu ain't Viciedo, and he isn't Puig, either. The point is that he might be talented enough to be worth all that money. How other international players have panned out, or not, has no bearing on him.

sox102
08-13-2013, 09:06 AM
Wow, tough crowd. Don't come here with your own opinion apparently. One reason why I don't post often on this website.

doublem23
08-13-2013, 09:07 AM

Is there anyone who thinks Dunn has handcuffed the Sox?

doublem23
08-13-2013, 09:07 AM
Wow, tough crowd. Don't come here with your own opinion apparently. One reason why I don't post often on this website.

Cool

CPditka
08-13-2013, 09:52 AM
I vote for taking a serious run at him. I think he'll get Puig type contract, and as much as he could be a bust, we need Impact talent, we have lots of filler types at the minor league level. You have to start somewhere. I originally laughed at the contracts of Cespedes and Puig, but now they seem very reasonable and almost under market for players of their caliber. I would hope that an actual MLB scouting department would be able to determine if it is likely he will turn into a good player. If the answer is yes, make a strong offer. If Oakland can do it, there is no reason the Sox shouldnt be in the mix.

blandman
08-13-2013, 09:57 AM
Well, that's what scouting players is for. Abreu ain't Viciedo, and he isn't Puig, either. The point is that he might be talented enough to be worth all that money. How other international players have panned out, or not, has no bearing on him.

It's really hard to adequately scout Cuban players though. Viciedo looked like a stud with great bat speed in limited visibility, but two months into his minor league career most scouts soured on him because of his lack of any sort of batting eye.

I'm not saying don't spend on Cuban free agents, just that $60+ million is a ton to throw at someone you've only been able to evaluate a half dozen times. It makes more sense for pitchers than hitters. You can't tell much from 20 at bats.

Bobby Thigpen
08-13-2013, 10:53 AM
He might be, he might not. I agree that other players success or failures shouldn't factor into him, but I'm not the one who brought up other players.

I just don't think it would be wise for the Sox to pay a guy top 10 in MLB type money when it's not sure he'll even be able to play. Let the deep pocketed take that chance.

Bobby Thigpen
08-13-2013, 10:54 AM
Is there anyone who thinks Dunn has handcuffed the Sox?
Yes. There are plenty of people who have mentioned how much of an hindrance his contract has been.

PalehosePlanet
08-13-2013, 11:05 AM
If he could be had for something like a 6/50 deal I think the Sox would possibly be players in the Abreu sweepstakes. But I'm thinking someone is going to drop 75 million or more on this guy; at that point my guess is the Sox would bow out.

Foulke You
08-14-2013, 10:53 AM
I realize he may get a ton of money but the only international players I can remember that didn't earn the money they got would be Fukudome, Irabu and Kazuo Matsui. Everyone else has pretty much earned what they got. Granted there are still a couple kids in the Cubs organization who the jury is still out on.
I would add Dice-K to your list too. The Red Sox really only got a middle to back rotation starter and paid ace money for him. The "gyroball" never serviced. Nishioka from the Twins is also an honorable mention on the international bust list but for far less money on the table.

doublem23
08-14-2013, 11:47 AM
Yes. There are plenty of people who have mentioned how much of an hindrance his contract has been.

OK, new question, is there anyone who knows what they're talking about that thinks Dunn has been a handcuff to the Sox?

The Dunn/Rios/Peavy/Konerko block surely has handcuffed the Sox, but each individual player? No, that's silly.

With Dunn still on the books for 2014 the Sox can set their payroll to about $70 M.

TheVulture
08-14-2013, 02:01 PM
OK, new question, is there anyone who knows what they're talking about that thinks Dunn has been a handcuff to the Sox?

The Dunn/Rios/Peavy/Konerko block surely has handcuffed the Sox, but each individual player? No, that's silly.

With Dunn still on the books for 2014 the Sox can set their payroll to about $70 M.

I admire your consistency and determination.

blandman
08-14-2013, 06:33 PM

Just because he isn't handcuffing us doesn't mean it isn't a bad contract. Dunn's a usable player, but for what he brings you could get another DH for minimum salary and at least come close. Instead, he's making close to the most money on the team. No, it doesn't handcuff us. But it certainly limits possibilities. Whatever the amount we can spend in the offseason (always a dubious claim with this team anyway), an additional $14 or so million could buy you a star level player or a couple of good pieces on top of what you were going to spend.

Bobby Thigpen
08-15-2013, 07:48 AM
It never ceases to amaze me how you can just dismiss pretty much anyone that would disagree with you as someone who just doesn't know anything.

doublem23
08-15-2013, 09:29 AM
Just because he isn't handcuffing us doesn't mean it isn't a bad contract. Dunn's a usable player, but for what he brings you could get another DH for minimum salary and at least come close. Instead, he's making close to the most money on the team. No, it doesn't handcuff us. But it certainly limits possibilities. Whatever the amount we can spend in the offseason (always a dubious claim with this team anyway), an additional $14 or so million could buy you a star level player or a couple of good pieces on top of what you were going to spend.

Riiiiiiiight... So the answer is that you agree with me?

Talk about a long walk for a short drink

DSpivack
08-17-2013, 02:48 PM
http://www.csnchicago.com/white-sox-talk/white-sox-attend-abreus-showcase

Tragg
08-18-2013, 03:23 PM
Apparently he has escaped Cuba. He's a big time prospect and only 26 and at a position of need. With all the money we got rid of and Hahn talking about expanding internationally is this a potential place for him?
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/08/jose-dariel-abreu-escapes-from-cuba.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook (http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/08/jose-dariel-abreu-escapes-from-cuba.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook)
I'm leery of big long-term contracts. But his age is a big plus and we can't sit in a holding pattern with this starting pitching we have. We have to make a few moves, or just go ahead and collapse it down further.
But if the play was to rebuild, they'd be taking salary back and getting more prospects for some of these players. I think they're freeing up salary to use it. The Sox aren't the organization that likes rebuilding, nor are Sox fans the type that will bask in the glory of 65 win seasons believing that our savior Theo will have the team competitive 5 years from now.

cws05champ
10-03-2013, 11:57 PM
http://www.baseballamerica.com/international/five-teams-had-strong-presence-at-jose-abreu-showcases/

Whitesox one of five teams to attend the showcase for Jose Abreu. I hope we go after this guy aggressively.

SOXSINCE'70
10-06-2013, 12:03 PM

"SHHHHHHHH.Rick Hahn might be listening.":rolling::rolling::roflmao: