PDA

View Full Version : One thing about the absolute collapse of the Sox...


TornLabrum
08-04-2002, 10:40 PM
...I haven't seen any posts here lately calling me an alarmist or saying I'm too critical of the way this MIckey Mouse outfit is run.

:reinsy

"I love Mickey Mouse!"

RedPinStripes
08-04-2002, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by TornLabrum
...I haven't seen any posts here lately calling me an alarmist or saying I'm too critical of the way this MIckey Mouse outfit is run.

:reinsy

"I love Mickey Mouse!"

Reality has set in. Fat chance the Sox are going to over power the mighty twinkies. :D:

NUKE_CLEVELAND
08-04-2002, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by TornLabrum
...I haven't seen any posts here lately calling me an alarmist or saying I'm too critical of the way this MIckey Mouse outfit is run.

:reinsy

"I love Mickey Mouse!"

It's just understood that OL Reinsy is a jackass & totally asleep at the switch so we don't trash him too much.

captain54
08-05-2002, 12:39 AM
Go to the WhiteSox.com fan forum and you'll still see some unbelievably defending this atrocity of an organization....

Steve Rosenbloom in the Sunday Sun-times nailed it on the head......the only thing we have to hang our hat on in the Jerry Manuel era is a dynamite first half of 2000 when Eldred and Baldwin combined for 20 wins...two veterans, by the way....
other than that, mediocre, mediocre, mediocre......

What the hell else does Reinsdorf have to show for "the Kids can play" era???

If this was happening in New York, Riensdorf would have been run out of town a long, long time ago.....

TornLabrum
08-05-2002, 12:46 AM
Originally posted by captain54
Go to the WhiteSox.com fan forum and you'll still see some unbelievably defending this atrocity of an organization....

Steve Rosenbloom in the Sunday Sun-times nailed it on the head......the only thing we have to hang our hat on in the Jerry Manuel era is a dynamite first half of 2000 when Eldred and Baldwin combined for 20 wins...two veterans, by the way....
other than that, mediocre, mediocre, mediocre......

What the hell else does Reinsdorf have to show for "the Kids can play" era???

If this was happening in New York, Riensdorf would have been run out of town a long, long time ago.....

Fortunately I don't write for whitesox.com, so I've never been criticized there for anything I've ever written.

As for Rosenbloom, the same article came up for discussion on the AOL Sox board and someone pointed out before I got the chance that Rosenbloom is full of excrement. There were notable contributions on that team from Mike Sirotka and Jim Parque, neither of them veterans. There were also improtant contributions from guys who are now veterans who weren't then such as Carlos Lee, Paul Konerko, and Magglio Ordonez. I'd like to add that our record after CJ joined the team as a veteran presence behind the plate was barely .500.

As the AOL poster noted, Rosenbloom vastly oversimplified things, as any review of the records of that club shows.

SoxRule
08-05-2002, 12:59 AM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes


Reality has set in. Fat chance the Sox are going to over power the mighty twinkies. :D:

Ya think?

captain54
08-05-2002, 01:32 AM
Originally posted by TornLabrum


There were notable contributions on that team from Mike Sirotka and Jim Parque, neither of them veterans. There were also improtant contributions from guys who are now veterans who weren't then such as Carlos Lee, Paul Konerko, and Magglio Ordonez. I'd like to add that our record after CJ joined the team as a veteran presence behind the plate was barely .500.



The players mentioned above were still contributing in the second half, so why did the Sox go .500 after the All-Star break??

No Baldwin, no Eldred.....

I knew as soon as Baldwin got roasted by the Cubs in that series at Wrigley he was on the downward slide.....Eldred goes down against St. Louis after the AStar break and I knew we were cooked......Schuler was never going to go out and bring in veteran reinforcement pitching, and we saw a parade of Rocky Biddles, Ken Hills, and a very raw John Garland pitching in the heat of a pennant race...

GASHWOUND
08-05-2002, 07:03 AM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes


Reality has set in. Fat chance the Sox are going to over power the mighty twinkies. :D:

And your statement of "The Mighty Twinkies" is right on. Every damn night I watch SC the Twins have won..I'm thinking if they'll lose another series the rest of the year..17 game lead!?!?!?! DAMN! And we're in 2nd place! We're the laughig stock of baseball, Devil Ray fans are probably laughing at us.
I won't even get near a Twins message board in fear I might hang myself..

cornball
08-05-2002, 08:14 AM
Sometimes the truth hurts. Never an arguement from me.

SI1020
08-05-2002, 08:34 AM
I've been watching and rooting for 45 years but this is as bad as it gets. To lose two out of three to a team that resembles the 62 Mets is a bit much. More and more evidence that JM has totally lost control of the team. Even in 1970 when the Sox had a horrid team you could see that efforts were going to be made to turn things around. With this ownership/management team firmly in place I shudder to think what the future might bring. I'm just a nobody fan that lives 470 miles away. I know the Sox have some vociferous fans in Chi. Aren't they burning up the talk shows?

duke of dorwood
08-05-2002, 09:01 AM
Hey we still have 9 games left with the Twins

PaleHoseGeorge
08-05-2002, 01:29 PM
Many of the WSI columnists took major abuse on this board earlier this year from a handful of pie-in-the-sky individuals who haven't owned up to jack in the time since. I don't blame Torn or any of the others for asking for a bit of contrition amongst those who were the most abrasive in their retorts.

There were plenty of reasons last spring to doubt the 2002 Sox would amount to anything. Since early-May, it has been all down hill for this outfit, from inexperienced starting pitchers, and question marks in the bullpen, to underachieving ballplayers at several positions--especially in important hitting situations.

The columnists were right about this team. And frankly, any Sox Fan who has followed the Sox more than 10 years shouldn't have been too surprised at the result.

I, for one, was amazed how well this team played in April, and equally shocked how quickly they disintegrated and began playing beneath the level I thought they would actually achieve. But some of you people were frothing at the mouth with anger over anyone suggesting this team wouldn't at least win the division--if not a whole lot more. That's just silly...

I'm all for optimism in the spring, too. However, carving up someone for pointing out the obvious flaws in that logic is a separate subject.

delben91
08-05-2002, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
Many of the WSI columnists took major abuse on this board earlier this year from a handful of pie-in-the-sky individuals who haven't owned up to jack in the time since. I don't blame Torn or any of the others for asking for a bit of contrition amongst those who were the most abrasive in their retorts.

Well, whether I was one of the abusers or not (I like to hope for "not"), I was one of the many who was wrong about the Sox potential this season. I saw Garland and Wright taking on Buehrle-esque consistency, which they may do eventually, though they haven't so far, and may not achieve this season, though jon inches closer with each start.

I also pictured a return to 2000 form for Valentin, and more importantly, Big Frank. That didn't happen. I also figured Royce couldn't possibly play as badly the first half of this season offensively as he did in 2001. Oops.

So, yeah, I overshot. Though I don't recall being an ass about it to those who disagreed with me, if I did, here's one poster saying "I was wrong, and just possibly, maybe, you were right" :D:

No-Neck
08-05-2002, 02:51 PM
Captain54,

Ron Schuler and the Chairman of the Board did go out and get some veteran pitching help after Cal Eldred went down in the second half of 2000,


they splurged on Ken Hill (sp?), remeber him?
Now he was a real veteran, way over the hill. What a friggin' joke.

When Georgie and his Yanks gear up for the play-offs, we go on the cheap.