PDA

View Full Version : 8.8.88 - First Night Game @ Wrigley Field

#1swisher
08-08-2013, 01:14 PM
It's been 25 years, since the first scheduled night game.

Video of Harry Caray and Bill Murray
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9oQ_d2nCADU

Jim Caple
http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/9547756/wrigley-field-first-night-game-25-years-ago

http://thumbs2.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/m5cW5c1tMs_lLWwCHBzLKCA.jpg

white sox bill
08-08-2013, 02:26 PM
Or as most cub fans woud say: "First night baseball game in Chicago" *ricks

DumpJerry
08-08-2013, 02:39 PM
That summer we had a really bad drought. No rain whatsoever for months. When they announced the date, I predicted it would rain that night.

That day was very sunny (like every day that summer). Around 6:00 or so, it got cloudy on the north side only. Really, it was there only, the south side did not get any clouds. It rained just enough to get the game called. After the game was called, it stopped raining for the next few weeks. The games was not even called very late, I think it was before 8:30. They could have played after a delay.....

The Baseball Gods spoke very clearly that night.

cbone
08-08-2013, 02:45 PM
My daughter was born than night, 8 lbs 8 oz. Can you guess her lucky number?

DumpJerry
08-08-2013, 02:56 PM
Did you change her name to Patricia Kane? :wink:

#1swisher
08-08-2013, 03:25 PM

Congratulations and a :happybday to your daughter. :cool:
Today's my brothers :happybday , as well.

jdm2662
08-10-2013, 05:33 PM
That summer we had a really bad drought. No rain whatsoever for months. When they announced the date, I predicted it would rain that night.

That day was very sunny (like every day that summer). Around 6:00 or so, it got cloudy on the north side only. Really, it was there only, the south side did not get any clouds. It rained just enough to get the game called. After the game was called, it stopped raining for the next few weeks. The games was not even called very late, I think it was before 8:30. They could have played after a delay.....

The Baseball Gods spoke very clearly that night.

I remember that summer very well. The only question is, was that summer or last summer worse? I will vote for last summer because I was 11 in 1988. And, it one of the most memorable summers of my childhood... I was a homeowner last year with a newborn.

Of course, the day I have a gathering at my house last year, it rains all day long.

eriqjaffe
08-14-2013, 01:56 PM
I remember that day - my dad, brother and I were driving back from a trip to the Football Hall of Fame. We put the game on in the car, and it was pouring in northwest Indiana.

cub killer
08-14-2013, 03:33 PM
I remember that day and the hype leading up to it since it was announced before the season.

It was surreal to see the pregame show, reporting from a twilight wrigley, not be a postgame show, since every time before then, reports from there at that hour were after a game was played. But this report was before the game, which kinda blew my mind as a kid.

They recruited a senior ciizen to "turn on the lights". This guy suposedly was a cub fan for life, with ticket stubs and memorablia to prove it. I wonder if he's still with us. But anyway, some girl held a button on a pad for him to push to "turn on the lights". He led a countdown, then said "let there be light", then pushed the button. When he pushed that button, the real light engineer turned on the lights from another spot in the stadium, the bowels I believe. The old man's button was completely unconnected from the actual lights.

It was funny, and appropriate that this game, along with the first night home opener, got rained out. And the 1990 ASG also had a long rain delay.

Bartman happened at night too. Hmm...

SOXPHILE
08-14-2013, 05:11 PM
I graduated high school in early June of that year, so I have a lot of fun memories from that summer. Unfortunately, the Sox were not good at all that year, but I did go to a bunch of games.

I remember my dad and I both, weeks before that night, said it was going to rain, and we were praying it would. We kept telling everybody all through June and July, and right up to August 8 that it was "Going To Happen". Boy did it ever. As others have mentioned, there was a bad drought that year, so it seemed unlikely. I thought it was hilarious, because all the pomp and circumstance that night, all the idiots who paid inflated ticket prices to be there for that "special" night, and it all got washed out.

HomeFish
08-15-2013, 12:21 AM
Didn't they have night games briefly before WWII? I know they had lights that they donated to the war effort.

SOXPHILE
08-15-2013, 07:20 AM
Didn't they have night games briefly before WWII? I know they had lights that they donated to the war effort.

They had the steel and all the equipment to install the lights, but the owner, Wrigley, just gave all the material to the government for the war effort. So, the lights were never installed.

Hitmen77
08-15-2013, 09:06 AM
I can't believe it's been 25 years since Cubs fans dropped their mantra that "Baseball was meant to be played in the daytime". :rolleyes: