PDA

View Full Version : Uniform Question: Stirrups vs. Colored Socks

Brian26
08-04-2002, 08:18 PM
In the grand scheme of things, this is pretty trivial. But, I thought I'd ask. Rooney and Farmer were talking about it in yesterday's game:

When did major league teams officially change the standard uniforms from using stirrups (with white sanitary socks) to the colored soccer-style socks.

I honestly had not noticed the subtle change until this past weekend, and I feel like an idiot. I know the style in recent years with a lot of guys is to pull the pants down low, so you can't tell if the players is wearing stirrups or not. Then, with a guy like Clayton, it almost seems like he's just wearing his pants high with the stirrups pulled very low so you can't see the white sanitary sock beneath.

I like the colored soccer-style socks actually.

To complicate matters, it seemed as if some of the D-Rays were indeed wearing the old stirrups this weekend. Is it an optional choice for the player or the team? When did this happen? The change had to have been somewhat recent.

Brian

baggio202
08-04-2002, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by Brian26
In the grand scheme of things, this is pretty trivial. But, I thought I'd ask. Rooney and Farmer were talking about it in yesterday's game:

When did major league teams officially change the standard uniforms from using stirrups (with white sanitary socks) to the colored soccer-style socks.

I honestly had not noticed the subtle change until this past weekend, and I feel like an idiot. I know the style in recent years with a lot of guys is to pull the pants down low, so you can't tell if the players is wearing stirrups or not. Then, with a guy like Clayton, it almost seems like he's just wearing his pants high with the stirrups pulled very low so you can't see the white sanitary sock beneath.

To complicate matters, it seemed as if some of the D-Rays were indeed wearing the old stirrups this weekend. Is it an optional choice for the player or the team? When did this happen? The change had to have been somewhat recent.

Brian

i heard a story about this a few years back..i believe it was delino deshield who first started wearing the soccer style sox in the early part of his career....he did it as a tribute to the negro league ballplayers who all wore those style sox with the pants that came to just below the knee

i like that style too

TornLabrum
08-04-2002, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by Brian26

Brian

It happened before the 2000 season because Cal Eldred was the last Sox player to wear stirrups, and I remember asking that ("Who is the only Sox player currently wearing stirrups?") as a trivia question during the 2000 season.

doublem23
08-05-2002, 01:38 AM
I'm not sure, but I just must say that both look equally snazzy. Anything excpet those damn long pant legs...

WhiteSox = Life
08-05-2002, 06:01 AM
The soccer-style socks are definitely a nice touch to the uniforms they wear currently. If you ask me I believe the black... stockings add a needed touch of pizzazz to a rather ordinary black-and-white "uni." Not that I don't like the current designs, but those socks could make the White Sox look a little bit better. But, then again, how you look dictates very little on how you're taken as a ballplayer or person in general.

:nandrolone
"Really? I ne'er would've guessed."

However, IIRC, the White Sox as a team (most of them) would wear the soccer socks when they thought a change would help their current status. Some players wear them constantly, like the Choice and Willie. Ray used to wear them sometimes, too.

PK used to wear the style, too, but stopped. Why? Was it because of that shin protector he wears now?

Sorry for being so choppy and spread out on this post, but what I'm trying to say is, the soccer socks definitely makes the team look better and I can't wait to see what will come next... fashion-wise to baseball's ever changing ensemble.

:gallas
"Hey, I've got an idea. How about purple hats, polka-dotted jerseys, and yellow shoes. Ooh! And tie-dyed pants. That might even attract Flubs fans...waitaminute...Dang it. I'm thinking of HIPPIES instead of YUPPIES! Oh well, nix another great PR move."

:moron
"Blast it! Another chance to show the world my great smear writing foiled yet again. Oh well. Be sure to catch me on the "Jim Rome Show." And you know it's good, 'cause I'm on it."