PDA

View Full Version : Is this the worst throw in baseball history?

doublem23
08-07-2013, 12:20 PM
Courtesy of Raul Ibanez

http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/18w8nevacs25wgif/ku-xlarge.gif

TDog
08-07-2013, 12:46 PM
At least it was straight. That is comically bad, but I don't know if it's as bad as the worst I saw from Carlos May from the outfield.

TheVulture
08-07-2013, 02:57 PM
That's got to be humiliating.

Noneck
08-07-2013, 03:09 PM
Visually its bad but there have been tons of worse throws. It cost his team one run and maybe the hitter advancing one base, Ive seen throws that have cost a team more than one run and advancing more runners.

Boondock Saint
08-07-2013, 03:46 PM
Five words-

Every. Johnny. Damon. Throw. Ever.

WisSoxFan
08-07-2013, 04:10 PM
I recall a Steve Kemp "throw" from left field that pretty much went straight into the ground. Fortunately it was only a single and the ball didn't get far enough away from him (Kemp) for the runner to advance to second. It was laugh out loud bad.

shes
08-07-2013, 06:32 PM
That can't be as bad as some of Knoblauch's throws. Didn't he plunk Keith Olberman's mother in the face as she watched from the stands??

Bobby Thigpen
08-07-2013, 09:06 PM
Didn't he plunk Keith Olberman's mother in the face as she watched from the stands??
Someone needed to.

getonbckthr
08-07-2013, 09:13 PM
I don't know, Matt Garza has had some dandies fielding bunts. Hopefully he doesn't see this otherwise i'm gonna get shredded on Twitter...

HomeFish
08-07-2013, 09:19 PM
That throw actually went pretty far on the bounce.

Railsplitter
08-07-2013, 10:02 PM
I'd say a throw from a third baseman into the 1st base dugout would be worse.

KRS1
08-08-2013, 01:17 AM
That can't be as bad as some of Knoblauch's throws. Didn't he plunk Keith Olberman's mother in the face as she watched from the stands??
He did. As someone who lived through Knoblauch yips, I can't in good faith call this the worst throw ever. It almost looks like Raul tried to change his mind and hold the throw at the last second.

TDog
08-09-2013, 12:37 AM

That reminds me of a throw Mike Andrews made shortly before he was released by the 1973 White Sox. He was playing third base. Deron Johnson of the A's, a DH without great speed, hit a two-out routine ground ball to third that Andrews fielded easily enough, but the throw across the infield to Dick Allen bounced four or five times. Instead of the inning ended without any runs scoring, the A's picked up three runs off of Wilbur Wood. Andrews was replaced in the fourth by Hank Allen, Dick's brother.

The A's won that late June game to pull within a game of the first place Sox. The Sox released Andrews a couple of weeks later. The season was in free fall at that point. Andrews signed with the A's and made the cover of The Sporting News during the World Series when Charlie Finley tried to release him mid-series and bring up Manny Trillo, inspiring a change to postseason personnel rules.

The more I think about it, I've seen plenty of throws that were at least as bad as this. But I grew up watching some really bad baseball.

Foulke You
08-09-2013, 10:03 AM
Ibanez is definitely one of the worst outfielders in the last 15-20 years. He makes Tank look like a gold glove. This is not the first time he has spiked the baseball into the ground. Lookout landing has an awesome GIF compilation of some of his "best" defensive lowlights:

http://www.lookoutlanding.com/pages/raul-ibanez-takes-pride-in-his-defense

thomas35forever
08-09-2013, 12:24 PM
Hang it up, old man.

California Sox
08-09-2013, 09:37 PM
Someone needed to.

Really? The guy's mother? Nice.