PDA

View Full Version : "Hawk No Cliche Day"

MikeKreevich
08-05-2013, 04:53 PM
Every year when we get late in the season, Hawk Harrelson really starts to wear on me. I have always been a big fan but I think he has become complacent and lazy. He is completely formulaic, beginning with his “sit back, relax and strap it down” and continuing with his seldom varying “chopper two hopper” and “can of corn”.
If I could contact him, I would suggest something that might make the brutal experience that is a 2013 Chicago White Sox broadcast just a little more bearable.
How about a “Hawk No Cliche Day”?
Here is how it could work, and feel free to suggest ideas. After announcing a “Hawk No Cliche Day”, Hawk would attempt to call a whole game without using any of his, known to all, catch phrases. Every time he uses one, a lucky fan will win a prize. Aside from it being funny, because he will slip up, Hawk just might come up with something we haven't heard a thousand times before. Steve Stone would probably love to be the one who stops Hawk after a “duck snort” slips out. Pun intended. Steve will say, “Gotcha Hawkmeister”, and a winning fan's name will be drawn. Now, as far as prizes go, tickets would be a good idea as the Sox will have plenty of unsold tickets as the summer drags on. If Hawk slips up and uses “He Gawn” or “Put it on the Board Yes Yes” a special prize will be awarded, maybe a golden greased tee.

thomas35forever
08-05-2013, 05:17 PM
Yawn.

soxnut1018
08-05-2013, 05:58 PM
How about a "No Hawk Season"?

LITTLE NELL
08-05-2013, 06:01 PM
Every announcer has his own style, nobody asked Harry to stop saying stuff like " He popped it up that wouldn't be a home run in a phone booth'' or "Miss Chicago just walked by" or Brickhouse with "hey hey'' or ''oh brother''. I'm a Hawk fan and his style is OK with me.

amsteel
08-05-2013, 06:22 PM
As a novel departure the Sox should try playing nine consecutive innings of competent baseball.

SouthSideMike
08-05-2013, 08:01 PM
If he got rid of most of his dumb cliches, I wouldn't call it "Hawk No Cliche Day", I'd just call it professional broadcasting.

SI1020
08-05-2013, 08:13 PM
If he got rid of most of his dumb cliches, I wouldn't call it "Hawk No Cliche Day", I'd just call it professional broadcasting. My favorite baseball announcers all had their quirks, eccentricities and "cliches". Most of the so called "professional" announcers in all sports today bore me to tears of anger. I'm sure we'll get one of them when Hawk retires or is carried out on his shield.

hawkjt
08-06-2013, 12:30 PM
I thought Hawk and Stoney were good last nite.
Now that the games are almost an afterthought,they are ranging far and wide on baseball topics in general.

I had never heard Hawk say that he had Earl Weaver as a manager in the minors,and stating that even then he knew that Earl was going to make it to the MLB level.

The discussion on what Phegley should do with his stance...stand on top of the plate...was thoughtful.

Hawk talking about how he failed,and failed and failed when he first came up...until it kicked in was a good patience lesson for fans and players.

Fans continue to hammer Hawk for his telecasts,but even tho I have heard him for decades, I still have nites when I really enjoy the booth.
Last nite was one.

sachin
08-06-2013, 01:37 PM
If I could contact him, I would suggest something that might make the brutal experience that is a 2013 Chicago White Sox broadcast just a little more bearable.

You could put on Ed Farmer and DJ, then watch the game with the TV volume off. Good alternative.

One observation: The fans of this team are so friggin' strange. No one is putting a gun to your head and forcing you to watch the team, go to the game, or watch/listen to the broadcast. If you are so miserable, why waste your time? :?:

It's like the old Woody Allen joke about the two retirees in the Poconos:

Retiree 1: "Oh, the food at this restaurant is absolutely lousy -- it's inedible!"
Retiree 2: "You are so right! And they give you such small portions!"

Crestani
08-06-2013, 03:07 PM
as a novel departure the sox should try playing nine consecutive innings of competent baseball.

+1

eriqjaffe
08-06-2013, 03:09 PM
Hawk just might come up with something we haven't heard a thousand times before.So you just want him to come up with new catchphrases?

Goose
08-06-2013, 03:50 PM
You could put on Ed Farmer and DJ, then watch the game with the TV volume off. Good alternative.

This, I would argue, is an even worse alternative, if that is at all possible.

Domeshot17
08-06-2013, 04:25 PM
The sad thing is I would seriously bet Hawk is costing the Sox fans. He does not attract a youthful fan base, he does not make watching the games enjoyable. I know Sox fans who do not even watch anymore because they can't stand HIM. Hawk needs to move to team ambassador... He is great at events like Sox Fest, but on a daily basis, he is unbearable.

mahagga73
08-06-2013, 05:25 PM
I like Farmer and DJ . Don't see why they are so maligned on here.

SI1020
08-06-2013, 05:57 PM
I like Farmer and DJ . Don't see why they are so maligned on here. Just like some people love Hawk and others can't stand him. The long term trend is in favor of the bland boring blow dried guys and gals in the image of ESPN. Farmer and DJ are not one of my favorite radio teams. I really liked Rooney, probably my all time favorite Sox radio announcer.

DSpivack
08-06-2013, 08:23 PM
I like Farmer and DJ . Don't see why they are so maligned on here.

Farmer is one of the worst announcers I have ever heard. You're on radio, you're supposed to paint a picture of the game and give play-by-play. He does neither of those things.

soxfanreggie
08-06-2013, 11:12 PM

I agree. If we got Rooney back, I'd listen more. I cringe when I have to hop in the car and listen to Farmer/DJ.

DrCrawdad
08-06-2013, 11:16 PM
I'm with LittleNell. I'm a Sox fan, Hawk fan.