PDA

View Full Version : *Official* Avisail Garcia Has Been Called Up Thread

sunofgold
08-05-2013, 08:51 AM
No reason to wait. Maybe he can be a spark. If not, we still get him more MLB abs. Caspar doesn't need to be on our roster.

And play Garcia everyday. Have a 10 game homestand here. Might as well introduce Garcia to the fans and let him become more familiar with his new home field.

Senerch23
08-05-2013, 10:08 AM
I disagree, keep him away from a clubhouse that has to be toxic at this point. This team doesn't need a spark at this point, they aren't going anywhere.

sunofgold
08-05-2013, 10:33 AM
I respectfully disagree. Need to shake this offense up. Any change would be welcome. Try to find anything positive at the end of this year.

Do you want to NOT even call him up in September?

Why continue to give this current set of underperforming hitters a free ride?

dickallen15
08-05-2013, 10:43 AM
I think the Sox need to call him up so if he falls flat on his face and never develops we can all complain the Sox rush their players.

SephClone89
08-05-2013, 10:50 AM
I think the Sox need to call him up so if he falls flat on his face and never develops we can all complain the Sox rush their players.

It's widely believed that he's topped out at AAA at this point.

dickallen15
08-05-2013, 10:51 AM
It's widely believed that he's topped out at AAA at this point.
No it is not.

Rocky Soprano
08-05-2013, 10:51 AM
There is no reason to bring him up prior to the September call ups.
This season is over so no need for a "spark." I want them to get the best possible draft pick possible. The only thing I am looking forward to is the waiver trade deadline. Leave Garcia in the minors.

DumpJerry
08-05-2013, 11:42 AM
No reason to wait. Maybe he can be a spark. If not, we still get him more MLB abs. Caspar doesn't need to be on our roster.

And play Garcia everyday. Have a 10 game homestand here. Might as well introduce Garcia to the fans and let him become more familiar with his new home field.
Why? It's not like the Sox are in the hunt for the Wild Card, so what would bringing him up accomplish? He needs to get his tendency to strikeout down.

mahagga73
08-05-2013, 11:46 AM

He has absolutely nothing else to prove in the minors , this team and it's fans need something to provide a spark , a reason to watch or come to the games. I think this concept of a toxic clubhouse effecting him are extremely far fetched.

eriqjaffe
08-05-2013, 11:54 AM
He has absolutely nothing else to prove in the minors , this team and it's fans need something to provide a spark , a reason to watch or come to the games. I think this concept of a toxic clubhouse effecting him are extremely far fetched.There may be financial reasons to leave him in AAA for a while. I don't know what his service time is, but it may be to the Sox benefit to delay his arbitration clock as long as possible.

Play for the best draft slot you can get, deal with the future next year.

Rocky Soprano
08-05-2013, 12:03 PM
He has absolutely nothing else to prove in the minors , this team and it's fans need something to provide a spark , a reason to watch or come to the games. I think this concept of a toxic clubhouse effecting him are extremely far fetched.

This team is done, no spark is going to save the season.
He has plenty to work on in the minors. He is NOT a can't miss prospect!

They probably will call him up in September or if they move Rios.
No need to bring him up now, none at all.

thomas35forever
08-05-2013, 12:12 PM
Bring him up in September. No need to rush this.

TaylorStSox
08-05-2013, 12:15 PM
If he does come up, it has to be at the expense of Konerko. The choice is to bring the kid up or give Konerko his farewell tour.

PorkChopExpress
08-05-2013, 12:18 PM
I think this concept of a toxic clubhouse affecting him are extremely far fetched.

Frank Thomas doesn't. He was talking about this just a couple of days ago. Plus he mentioned that they shouldn't bring him up to be a spark, or a "savior" as that can put a lot of pressure on him and can mess him up if he doesn't perform. I agree with him. Who knows, we might finally have someone who is not so mentally fragile, but why risk it. Let him come up in September with a bunch of other guys. He won't be labeled as the savior, and hopefully multiple call-ups will dilute the toxicity in the clubhouse.

TaylorStSox
08-05-2013, 12:23 PM
How is the clubhouse "toxic?" There haven't been any indications of problems in the clubhouse.

DumpJerry
08-05-2013, 12:45 PM
Some people (http://www.suntimes.com/sports/21724668-761/sox-prospect-garcia-likely-to-be-in-majors-sooner-than-later.html) want him up here now.

Paulwny
08-05-2013, 01:11 PM
How is the clubhouse "toxic?" There haven't been any indications of problems in the clubhouse.

Toxic may not be the correct word. I also Heard Frank's comments on the post game show. He talked about the atmosphere in the dugout, players having their heads down, not much enthusiasm, etc. He felt this would be a bad situation to bring in a young prospect, feeling that Sept. was the better option.

TaylorStSox
08-05-2013, 01:14 PM
Toxic may not be the correct word. I also Heard Frank's comments on the post game show. He talked about the atmosphere in the dugout, players having their heads down, not much enthusiasm, etc. He felt this would be a bad situation to bring in a young prospect, feeling that Sept. was the better option.

I heard Frank as well. I would call it apathetic, but certainly not toxic. These guys seem to like each other. They're just bad and feeling sorry for themselves.

Huisj
08-05-2013, 01:21 PM

Nothing to prove, except maybe strikezone judgement and patience, which is something big. And maybe the ability to be productive when his BABIP drops to something reasonable (it's .442 at AAA this year).

September call up? Sure. If they moved Rios? Sure. But what's the point in bringing him up now with no spot to play? He's got plenty to continue to work on at AAA.

PorkChopExpress
08-05-2013, 01:30 PM

Toxic as in harmful to those who encounter it. Not that there are problems between players or coaches. Just that everyone is aware of their level of suckiness leading to doubt, expectation of failure, lack of luck, etc., which can become a self-fulfilling prophecy, and hence continue the downward spiral, and as Frank said, it is infectious. You don't want to infect prospects with that attitude.

Bobby Thigpen
08-05-2013, 02:11 PM
Leave him down. No reason to expose him to the likes of Rios and some of the rampant laziness/stupidity that some of these guys display.

Barry Bonds in his roided up prime couldn't spark this team, lineup or fanbase. Let the kid develop and hopefully keep away from this craphole of a team.

Zisk77
08-05-2013, 02:40 PM
It would be silly to bring up Garcia now. Garcia needs to play everyday. Our current OF is Viciedo, DeAza, & Rios. If we bring up Garcia we must bench one of those guys. We are trying to TRADE at least one of those guys. Benching them would hurt there value. Therefore, Garcia tears up AAA until we trade one of those cats. or Sept. 1st. Whichever came first.

LITTLE NELL
08-05-2013, 02:44 PM
It would be silly to bring up Garcia now. Garcia needs to play everyday. Our current OF is Viciedo, DeAza, & Rios. If we bring up Garcia we must bench one of those guys. We are trying to TRADE at least one of those guys. Benching them would hurt there value. Therefore, Garcia tears up AAA until we trade one of those cats. or Sept. 1st. Whichever came first.

I think he will be here before the September call-ups if we can find someone to take Dunn or Rios off our hands in a waiver deal.

Zisk77
08-05-2013, 02:54 PM
I think he will be here before the September call-ups if we can find someone to take Dunn or Rios off our hands in a waiver deal.

/agree

TaylorStSox
08-05-2013, 03:24 PM

Or, you bench Konerko and move Viciedo to 1B/DH. I don't really see a reason to bring him up though.

Rocky Soprano
08-05-2013, 03:48 PM
Or, you bench Konerko and move Viciedo to 1B/DH. I don't really see a reason to bring him up though.

You would be willing to movie Viciedo to 1B, a position he has never played in middle of the season?

doublem23
08-05-2013, 03:52 PM
You would be willing to movie Viciedo to 1B, a position he has never played in middle of the season?

He has played 1B in the minors.

soltrain21
08-05-2013, 04:04 PM

Who the hell cares at this point? Better now then at the beginning of next year when winning or losing actually matters.

cards press box
08-05-2013, 04:13 PM
Bring him up in September. No need to rush this.

+1. And, if the Sox are able to deal Rios and/or Alexei Ramirex in August waiver deals, the Sox may have several players (i.e., Brandon Jacobs, Avasail Garcia, and maybe some prospects obtained in deals involving Rios, Ramirez and Crain) to bring up in September.

LITTLE NELL
08-05-2013, 04:13 PM
Who the hell cares at this point? Better now then at the beginning of next year when winning or losing actually matters.

Agree, he is eventually going to end up there or at DH, so lets see how he handles it.

samurai_sox
08-05-2013, 04:16 PM
Call him up in September, getting a possible number 1 pick would be huge for the future. We must continue to suck, as messed up as that sounds.

KRS1
08-05-2013, 04:21 PM
I'd rather he stay in Charlotte, keep his confidence high and make the jump with a fresh start squad next season. As some have said, it's not like there aren't things for him to work on down there and this is a sunken clubhouse in Chicago.

RockJock07
08-05-2013, 04:29 PM
I'm torn on this. Here is what I believe to be fact....

1. Garcia's clock has already started so there really isn't any financial reason to leave him at AAA.

2. No spark is needed other then for the fans who will either be watching or attending games the rest of the season.

3. Rios can play CF, Garcia can play RF, DeAza can sit for the rest of the season as far as I'm concerned.

TheVulture
08-05-2013, 06:21 PM

1. Garcia's clock has already started so there really isn't any financial reason to leave him at AAA.

2. No spark is needed other then for the fans who will either be watching or attending games the rest of the season.

3. Rios can play CF, Garcia can play RF, DeAza can sit for the rest of the season as far as I'm concerned.

1. No it isn't. He has to be on a major league roster to accrue major league service time.

3. Garcia is going to be playing CF. He's been playing center in Erie, Toledo and now Charlotte and from what I understand he's better than anyone the Sox currently have there.

SI1020
08-05-2013, 08:20 PM
1. No it isn't. He has to be on a major league roster to accrue major league service time.

3. Garcia is going to be playing CF. He's been playing center in Erie, Toledo and now Charlotte and from what I understand he's better than anyone the Sox currently have there. That wouldn't be hard. As for Garcia I hope he is one of those quietly confident guys. The first time he strikes out with the game on the line, or goes in an 0 for 41 slump will result in predictions of failure. I don't know about a toxic clubhouse but it must be hell for the players right now. I hope Garcia is immune to the negativity which will surely be there.

RockJock07
08-05-2013, 08:40 PM

3. Garcia is going to be playing CF. He's been playing center in Erie, Toledo and now Charlotte and from what I understand he's better than anyone the Sox currently have there.

Garcia already has 130+ PA's on a ML roster. If I'm not mistaken his arbitration and FA year have already been determined.

I can see both sides to this whole thing but despite needing to refine his approach he's been successful at every level he's been at.

Shoeless
08-05-2013, 10:39 PM
Garcia already has 130+ PA's on a ML roster. If I'm not mistaken his arbitration and FA year have already been determined.

I can see both sides to this whole thing but despite needing to refine his approach he's been successful at every level he's been at.

This. Sorry his slash numbers in AAA are just too good to pass up and the clock is ticking. I don't care who has to sit. This kid knows he's the future and the clubhouse won't change that.

mahagga73
08-05-2013, 10:46 PM

The Rangers might just need one of our guys now.

RockJock07
08-06-2013, 12:10 AM
Looking up his stats since the trade he's continued to rake. 7-18, 1 HR, 7 RBI, 6 runs scored.

Tragg
08-06-2013, 12:24 AM
The Rangers might just need one of our guys now.
Wouldn't that be nice.

doublem23
08-06-2013, 12:30 AM

No, arbitration is dependent on the player accruing service time on the MLB roster...

Q: When does a player become eligible for salary arbitration?
A: A player with three or more years of service, but less than six years, may file for salary arbitration. In addition, a player can be classified as a "Super Two" and be eligible for arbitration with less than three years of service. A player with at least two but less than three years of Major League service shall be eligible for salary arbitration if he has accumulated at least 86 days of service during the immediately preceding season and he ranks in the top 22 percent (increased from 17 percent in previous agreements) in total service in the class of Players who have at least two but less than three years of Major League service, however accumulated, but with at least 86 days of service accumulated during the immediately preceding season.

From the MLBPA: http://mlb.mlb.com/pa/info/faq.jsp#agency

russ99
08-06-2013, 06:58 AM
No, arbitration is dependent on the player accruing service time on the MLB roster...

From the MLBPA: http://mlb.mlb.com/pa/info/faq.jsp#agency

The question is if he has enough service time with the Tigers so that he'd fall within super-two in the 2015 offseason if he played with the Sox the rest of this year, and all next year.

It's murky.

He's had 53 big league regular season games, so I'd estimate 60 or so days. Add another 12 playoff games (not sure if they count for service time) and we're around 73 days. Add the days left in the Sox season (53) and he could hit super-two, accelerating his first FA offseason by a year.

doublem23
08-06-2013, 08:14 AM
The question is if he has enough service time with the Tigers so that he'd fall within super-two in the 2015 offseason if he played with the Sox the rest of this year, and all next year.

It's murky.

He's had 53 big league regular season games, so I'd estimate 60 or so days. Add another 12 playoff games (not sure if they count for service time) and we're around 73 days. Add the days left in the Sox season (53) and he could hit super-two, accelerating his first FA offseason by a year.

They don't

mcm3312
08-06-2013, 10:03 AM
Why is everybody so down on De Aza? Do they not understand he's one of the most consistent/best position players we've got?

Sit Konerko before you sit De Aza.

Beckham 2b
Ramirez SS
De Aza LF
Rios RF
Dunn DH
Garcia CF
Viciedo 1B
Phegley C
Keppinger 3B

Bobby Thigpen
08-06-2013, 10:04 AM
Why is everybody so down on De Aza? Do they not understand he's one of the most consistent/best position players we've got?
I think the sad reality of that statement is the point of why people are down on him.

DeadMoney
08-06-2013, 10:20 AM
I think the sad reality of that statement is the point of why people are down on him.

That and the constant base-running blunders, missteps in CF, and high amount of Ks.

De Aza probably would've been fairly valuable to another team as a 4th OF down the stretch (plus reasonable salary control for the next few years). The fact that he wasn't dealt lends me to believe that he's in the team's plans moving forward (probably as the LF).

Foulke You
08-06-2013, 10:28 AM
I think a lot of the angst is centered around his terrible decisions and instincts as a baseball player this year. He has made 9 terrible outs on the basepaths (so far) which is inexcusable for an MLB player. He gets picked off, takes off running when he shouldn't, etc. The mistakes are exasperating to anyone watching a team like ours that is starved for runs. He also has been sub-par in the outfield this season.

dickallen15
08-06-2013, 10:30 AM
I think a lot of the angst is centered around his terrible decisions and instincts as a baseball player this year. He has made 9 terrible outs on the basepaths (so far) which is inexcusable for an MLB player. He gets picked off, takes off running when he shouldn't, etc. This mistakes are exasperating to anyone watching a team like ours that is starved for runs. He also has been sub-par in the outfield this season.
Yeah, but that's not his fault. It's Ventura's. With the proper coaching and managing, just about everyone is an All Star. This team is at least 15 games better with a decent manager. Every parent should keep that in mind when junior wants to be a star player in a selected sport. Make sure you pay up for really good coaching. He or she will be can't miss and it will more than pay off in the end.

mcm3312
08-06-2013, 10:30 AM
It's scary how close De Aza's numbers are to Rios (Though slightly better actually). Who cares is he strikes out alot? The reason people care is because we've got him at leadoff when in reality he's not a leadoff hitter, thats not his mentality. I'd way rather have him up at the plate over Konerko, Viciedo, Dunn, Phegley, Keppinger.

TomBradley72
08-06-2013, 10:37 AM
No reason to rish Garcia- September is fine with me.

De Aza could be a nice 4th/5th OF to have around- but I'm tired of dumb baseball- the little league mistake of not tagging up on Sunday should have led to a release- to send a signal to the organization.

Foulke You
08-06-2013, 10:38 AM

I'd like to see Garcia up with the big club not for the fans, but for his progression as an MLB player. Most scouting reports say he isn't being challenged by minor league pitching anymore. Therefore, getting as many rips and experience at the MLB level this season will give him a head start on next year. An extra 50 games to get used to American League pitching, get a feel for playing outfield at The Cell, and get valuable experience that he can't get in Charlotte. As others have said though, perhaps financial considerations are at play which could be why he is staying put for now.

hawkjt
08-06-2013, 12:25 PM
Tank's thumb injury is a good excuse to get Garcia up here now.
Give Tank a few days off,and play DeAza in left,with Garcia in center.

Rios could be waivered to the Rangers by the end of the week,and Garcia stays up.

I want a reason to watch the last 50 games,and Garcia is a reason.

mahagga73
08-06-2013, 05:28 PM

Sit Konerko before you sit De Aza.

Beckham 2b
Ramirez SS
De Aza LF
Rios RF
Dunn DH
Garcia CF
Viciedo 1B
Phegley C
Keppinger 3B
His baserunning mistakes are practically unprecedented . He's a good 2 or 3 hitter though. Problem is , his OBP is not good , and the Sox have a lot of those type of guys , that's why they never score.

sunofgold
08-06-2013, 05:34 PM
B&B agree with me and they invented baseball. They also don't understand why Caspar Wells is on the active roster. Lol

kittle42
08-06-2013, 05:39 PM
Yeah, but that's not his fault. It's Ventura's. With the proper coaching and managing, just about everyone is an All Star. This team is at least 15 games better with a decent manager. Every parent should keep that in mind when junior wants to be a star player in a selected sport. Make sure you pay up for really good coaching. He or she will be can't miss and it will more than pay off in the end.

Welcome to the world of arguing against an argument no one has made. But nice passion.

BainesHOF
08-06-2013, 05:48 PM
It's a sad commentary on the organization that Garcia is not up and starting everyday.

sunofgold
08-08-2013, 08:43 PM
Caspar David Wells.... He gone
Seems like a good time to bring up Avisail Freddy Garcia.

The clubhouse has the aura of confidence after sweep of the Yanks. Some more fans might want to catch this show and see TAG play.

kittle42
08-08-2013, 09:12 PM
Some more fans might want to catch this show and see TAG play.

Probably not, as the vast, vast majority of people who go to games have no idea who he is. Might as well as Blake Tekotte.

#1swisher
08-09-2013, 01:37 PM
Paul Sullivan ‏ (https://twitter.com/PWSullivan)
Hahn says Garcia en route to South Side will be here for Game 2 tonight.

Chicago White Sox ‏ (https://twitter.com/whitesox)
[/URL][URL="https://twitter.com/whitesox/status/365913425181806592"] (https://twitter.com/whitesox) .@AvisailGarcia34 (https://twitter.com/AvisailGarcia34) made his major-league debut on August 31, 2012 vs. the #WhiteSox (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23WhiteSox&src=hash). He will wear uniform No. 26.

Brian26
08-09-2013, 08:22 PM
Avi is in the house and is supposed to play in the game. Just showed some video of him on the golf cart in the tunnel bringing in a Tigers bag.

slavko
08-09-2013, 10:52 PM
He just might be another buck-fifty hitter.

Soxman219
08-09-2013, 11:09 PM
Bust

MountainCur
08-10-2013, 01:09 AM
damn - i see now why tigers' fans gave him that nickname. he could pass for cabrera's little brother.

kenfinan
08-10-2013, 03:36 AM
No batting practice, jet-lag, and probably overwhelmed by the media. I wasn't surprised, but now that hes gotten those jitters out of the way I am really excited to see what he does tomorrow.

KingXerxes
08-10-2013, 09:14 AM
Every parent should keep that in mind when junior wants to be a star player in a selected sport. Make sure you pay up for really good coaching. He or she will be can't miss and it will more than pay off in the end.

Shouldn't this be in teal?

balke
08-10-2013, 06:45 PM
I watched more of today's game than any game this season. There were feelings of curiosity, and enjoyment. I am pleased with the new White Sox. Good team or bad, I dig it.

LITTLE NELL
08-11-2013, 07:02 PM
At this point I would like to see how Garcia would handle batting third. Having Dunn behind him might give him some better pitches to see instead of batting 6th with Gillaspie or Keppinger behind him. I think the kid can handle the pressure, if there is any pressure with a last place team 28 games under .500.

blandman
08-12-2013, 07:06 AM
He just might be another buck-fifty hitter.

He's a 40 hitter who projects to a 45. They didn't get him because he was going to hit .280. They got him because of the 65 power that projects higher. As long as he hits .250, he'll be a stud.

At this point I would like to see how Garcia would handle batting third. Having Dunn behind him might give him some better pitches to see instead of batting 6th with Gillaspie or Keppinger behind him. I think the kid can handle the pressure, if there is any pressure with a last place team 28 games under .500.

That's probably a mismatch. Garcia's never going to be an on-base or hit machine. He's more in the 5/6 mold.

Foulke You
08-12-2013, 10:22 AM
I agree with you there. Also, I feel like we can better take advantage of his speed by putting him behind De Aza and Alexei. If Paulie or Dunn get on base, Garcia's speed is going to be a bit stifled. Perhaps Robin doesn't want to put too much pressure on the kid by dropping him into the 3 hole?

blandman
08-12-2013, 10:33 AM
Between body type, speed, and hitting style, does anyone else think Garcia seems like a young Sammy Sosa?

doublem23
08-12-2013, 10:35 AM
Between body type, speed, and hitting style, does anyone else think Garcia seems like a young Sammy Sosa?

Sosa was a no-power twig when he was Garcia's age

blandman
08-12-2013, 10:37 AM

He had solid 30 homer potential I thought?

Well, he looks more like young "good" Sosa, though in Sosa's case that had to do with "vitamins". I think he could play like him though, low average big power and really good outfield tools.

cws05champ
08-12-2013, 10:44 AM
It's not like Garcia is a power hitter right now. He has the body...therefore the projection to have power. But he is a gap to gap and singles hitter right now in the majors. I really hope everyone doesn't expect this kid to be the savior of the franchise offensively. He seem like he has a chance to be a good contributor to a team for a good amount of time.....but lets not anoint him to be the next great power hitter when he has 140 AB's in the Majors. Kid has a good arm, nice wheels and has a chance to be a decent hitter but he still has some issues to work on.

kittle42
08-12-2013, 11:06 AM

He's missing the Soul Glo hair.

slavko
08-12-2013, 11:28 AM
Ditto. Sammy was a skinny kid when he was here. https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSkSg4Sl4Q1VYXPCeY9dSL6TytnS7Kw4 sStLEUOKecRVtiT9gRh

JB98
08-12-2013, 01:44 PM
I agree with you there. Also, I feel like we can better take advantage of his speed by putting him behind De Aza and Alexei. If Paulie or Dunn get on base, Garcia's speed is going to be a bit stifled. Perhaps Robin doesn't want to put too much pressure on the kid by dropping him into the 3 hole?

I think that's exactly it. The manager quite rightfully wants to put the brakes on some of the high expectations being put on this kid. As fan base, we are starving for anything positive to take away from this awful season. We'd all like to see Garcia show up and rake, but it's probably a little unfair to expect that from him at this stage of his development. Robin will do what he can to keep expectations in line with what is fair and reasonable.

tstrike2000
08-12-2013, 02:12 PM
Ditto. Sammy was a skinny kid when he was here. https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSkSg4Sl4Q1VYXPCeY9dSL6TytnS7Kw4 sStLEUOKecRVtiT9gRh

Don't mean to hijack, but I don't want to leave out Shammy's pal.

http://snowbrains.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/steroids2.jpg

TaylorStSox
08-12-2013, 03:05 PM
I want Garcia hitting 7th to work on his approach and pitch recognition without a lot of pressure. I want Ramirez hitting 3rd to start turning on more balls and raise his power numbers to try to raise his trade value.

If I was to compare Garcia to a recent Sox player probably be Dye with a little smaller hit tool, but bigger power tool.

blandman
08-12-2013, 04:31 PM
Joking aside, before the 1998 roidsplosion Sosa was a 25-40 homer guy with contact issues but still a really good player (especially defensively). He was that way from basically 1993 - 1997. When I see Garcia, that's the player I'm looking at. Which would be pretty awesome.

#1swisher
08-13-2013, 07:09 PM
Chicago White Sox ‏@whitesox (https://twitter.com/whitesox) 3h (https://twitter.com/whitesox/status/367379552617893888)

Avisail Garcia poses for his official #WhiteSox (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23WhiteSox&src=hash) team photo. http://instagram.com/p/c92icKFseT/ (http://t.co/oiX1mu1EmF)