PDA

View Full Version : *Official* 8/4 Put Bags On Your Heads Postgame Thread

thomas35forever
08-04-2013, 04:46 PM
10 games. Wow.

soxfanreggie
08-04-2013, 04:48 PM
Horrible stretch here highlighted by many quality starts and no resemblance of a fighting offense. We have had some decent individual performances but cannot put anything together.

When September call-ups happen, I hope those guys play most of the time.

MtGrnwdSoxFan
08-04-2013, 04:49 PM
At least we're not making it easy on Houston.

smac38
08-04-2013, 04:50 PM
Yet another game that ends with a "first time in franchise history," moment. Setting new lows and doing in historic fashion. Why do I keep watching.

Axelrod is pretty much a guaranteed L when he comes in now, which is sad to see. The guy battled his butt of in the first half, but looks to have completely lost it all.

amsteel
08-04-2013, 04:51 PM
It sucks less when you know it's gonna happen.

joegraz
08-04-2013, 04:52 PM
Funny bad. Oddly enough, I'm not disgusted anymore. It's like watching your kid's really bad little league team. Oh well, we're only 3-5 years away.

Patrick134
08-04-2013, 04:52 PM
Yet another game that ends with a "first time in franchise history," moment. Setting new lows and doing in historic fashion. Why do I keep watching.

Axelrod is pretty much a guaranteed L when he comes in now, which is sad to see. The guy battled his butt of in the first half, but looks to have completely lost it all.

In defense of all the pitchers, it's gotta be rough pitching when you know your club isn't going to score any runs anyway.

amsteel
08-04-2013, 04:53 PM
Any chance the Sox already know who RV's replacement is and can Ventura come Sept 1 in order to give the new guy some time to learn the expanded roster.

Unlikely, I know. But in my mind he's already a lame duck.

Soxman219
08-04-2013, 04:54 PM
First 10-game losing streak in over 35 years. Wow. :anon:

smac38
08-04-2013, 04:57 PM
In defense of all the pitchers, it's gotta be rough pitching when you know your club isn't going to score any runs anyway.

I agree, I don't know how how go out there every day, knowing if you give up a run, you stand about an 80% chance of taking the loss.

Soxman219
08-04-2013, 05:03 PM
Only this team can have a 10 game losing streak while the pitchers post a ERA below 2.70. If this team even resembled a decent offense they would have won more games.

Only reason I'm watching tomorrow is the A-Rod circus.

SouthSideMike
08-04-2013, 05:07 PM
First winless road trip in franchise history. Bar just keeps getting lowered each week. Hard to believe it could get any lower.

Fastball23
08-04-2013, 05:08 PM
Only this team can have a 10 game losing streak while the pitchers post a ERA below 2.70. If this team even resembled a decent offense they would have won more games.

Mariano Rivera is another reason to watch the Sox this week

Soxman219
08-04-2013, 05:23 PM
Mariano Rivera is another reason to watch the Sox this week

Why? Each game will be a blowout for the Yanks. We won't see him pitch. I wonder what the Sox will give him as a present though.

SouthSideMike
08-04-2013, 05:31 PM
I'm not sure it's ever appropriate for a fan to actually despise the team they root for, but this team sure makes a compelling case for it.

DirtySox
08-04-2013, 06:12 PM
I'm okay with the losing. Solidify that 2nd pick in the draft. It's going to be an important one.

LITTLE NELL
08-04-2013, 06:14 PM
I'm okay with the losing. Solidify that 2nd pick in the draft. It's going to be an important one.

Don't count the chickens before they hatch, it might be a first pick.

QCIASOXFAN
08-04-2013, 06:16 PM
100 loses seems likely.

waldo_the_wolf
08-04-2013, 06:20 PM
On a semi-positive note, a FOUR-HIT game for Adam Dunn. I'm too lazy to look it up, but I wonder if that's the first time that's happened since he joined the Sox. I say semi-positive because the one at-bat he failed to get a hit was the one they needed a hit the most.

anewman35
08-04-2013, 06:21 PM
Why? Each game will be a blowout for the Yanks. We won't see him pitch. I wonder what the Sox will give him as a present though.

I'm not so sure. I mean, obviously the White Sox are going to lose, but they are losing most of these games lately by few enough runs to get a save. Tomorrow might be interesting too, to see if A-Rod gets to play (and the reaction he gets).

soxfanreggie
08-04-2013, 06:47 PM

We're getting some great pitching but our only offense seems to be one-off hitting performances like Dunn had today. Maybe he can have a few more 4-hit days and a waiver deal could entice a team needing a hot hitter.

roylestillman
08-04-2013, 07:02 PM
On a semi-positive note, a FOUR-HIT game for Adam Dunn. I'm too lazy to look it up, but I wonder if that's the first time that's happened since he joined the Sox. I say semi-positive because the one at-bat he failed to get a hit was the one they needed a hit the most.
Except this is so typical of Dunn. As soon as the team he is playing on falls out of contention he starts putting up numbers.

tstrike2000
08-04-2013, 08:07 PM
We're getting some great pitching but our only offense seems to be one-off hitting performances like Dunn had today. Maybe he can have a few more 4-hit days and a waiver deal could entice a team needing a hot hitter.

Except that teams will see he's never won, anywhere.

SouthSideMike
08-04-2013, 08:34 PM

I would think Rios might be a better bet for a waiver deal. He's equally overpaid, but hasn't flirted with the Mendoza line the past 3 seasons and actually has some positional value on the field.

I can't see anyone being interested in Dunn at this point. I think we're better off seeing if someone's interested in the offseason. Even then it will probably be tough to move him.

StillMissOzzie
08-04-2013, 09:49 PM

I thought some folks here were unfairly dumping on Axelrod as a 5th starter, but since he has been coming out of the bullpen, I agree, he is a loss waiting to happen.

And welcome to WSI!

I would think Rios might be a better bet for a waiver deal. He's equally overpaid, but hasn't flirted with the Mendoza line the past 3 seasons and actually has some positional value on the field.

I can't see anyone being interested in Dunn at this point. I think we're better off seeing if someone's interested in the offseason. Even then it will probably be tough to move him.

Well, that is how the Sox got Rios, so maybe some other team will be desperate enough in the stretch drive to take him off our hands. One can hope. I'd feel better if they took Dun off our hands, though.

SMO
:gulp:

DSpivack
08-04-2013, 10:42 PM

Ye of little faith, we can be #1! :bandance:

And only a few more games until we have the franchise record for consecutive losses!

(Assuming an earlier poster was right that it's 13)

JB98
08-05-2013, 12:30 AM

Nonsense. Why would you think the Yankees are going to blow out the Sox? The Sox have lost 10 games in a row, but only one of them has been a blowout. This team loses 3-2 or 2-1 almost every day.

Detroit has a much better offensive club than New York. Yet Sox pitching held the Tigers to eight runs in a three-game set. That's a solid job. The pitching won't allow the Sox to get blown out of too many games.

The Sox lose every day because these position players are clueless in all aspects -- hitting, defense and baserunning.

Tragg
08-05-2013, 01:25 AM
Rios is paid a lot but he isn't substantially overpaid compared to what others of his genre are paid.
I think the problem is going to be what quality team wants to risk bringing his nonchalant attitude onto their team. Especially as the 2 likely candidates are continuing to win.

Zakath
08-05-2013, 06:45 AM

Not even the first one this season. He had 4 hits on June 10 in a win over Toronto.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/gl.cgi?id=dunnad01&t=b&year=2013

BigKlu59
08-05-2013, 02:26 PM

Ugg... I hope it pans out better than the year the Sox had the 1st pick, and took a pitcher "I Can Not Recall" and the likes of Brett, Rice and Schmidt went way lower... The way this dark cloud season is going,I dread a first pick band aid may not be big enough to treat a sucking chest wound..

BK59

Hitmen77
08-05-2013, 02:44 PM
Ugg... I hope it pans out better than the year the Sox had the 1st pick, and took a pitcher "I Can Not Recall" and the likes of Brett, Rice and Schmidt went way lower... The way this dark cloud season is going,I dread a first pick band aid may not be big enough to treat a sucking chest wound..

BK59

If I'm not mistaken, the last time the Sox had the #1 overall draft pick, they drafted Harold Baines with that pick.

But, it sounds like you are referring to the 1971 #1 pick:
http://www.baseball-reference.com/draft/index.cgi?draft_round=1&year_ID=1971&draft_type=junreg&query_type=year_round
Ugh. That looks like a brutal pick.

BigKlu59
08-05-2013, 02:47 PM
If I'm not mistaken, the last time the Sox had the #1 overall draft pick, they drafted Harold Baines with that pick.

But, it sounds like you are referring to the 1971 #1 pick:
http://www.baseball-reference.com/draft/index.cgi?draft_round=1&year_ID=1971&draft_type=junreg&query_type=year_round
Ugh. That looks like a brutal pick.

You're right... I should have prefaced the similarity to the 70 Sox in reference to that post... It was a brutal pick...

BK59

doublem23
08-05-2013, 03:23 PM
You're right... I should have prefaced the similarity to the 70 Sox in reference to that post... It was a brutal pick...

BK59

Even moreso because Goodwin didn't even sign with the Sox, he went to college instead and wound up getting picked first overall by the Angels again in 1975 which is where he launched his remarkably unspectacular career.