PDA

View Full Version : Sox should hire Dave Martinez

Fastball23
08-03-2013, 02:41 PM
He needs to be our manager going into next season. I believe he is the next great mgr.

tstrike2000
08-03-2013, 02:48 PM
He was supposed to be a hot managerial commodity after the '11 season. If so, how come he hasn't been hired by someone else by now? Besides, I highly doubt Robin is going anywhere.

dickallen15
08-03-2013, 04:01 PM
If you don't like Robin's demeanor, you will hate Dave Martinez. Robin is like Ozzie compared to him.

asindc
08-03-2013, 04:23 PM
I'm thinking that there must be something not generally known to the public about Martinez that has prevented him from getting a manager's position. I can't blame Sox management if that is in fact the case.

kittle42
08-03-2013, 04:59 PM
Whomever they hire, he *must* have played for the Sox. That is apparently a major qualification to coach here.

DSpivack
08-03-2013, 05:00 PM
Whomever they hire, he *must* have played for the Sox. That is apparently a major qualification to coach here.

Next manager: Mike LaValliere! Who better to manage players that need a kick in the rear other than a guy named Spanky?

kittle42
08-03-2013, 05:16 PM
Next manager: Mike LaValliere! Who better to manage players that need a kick in the rear other than a guy named Spanky?

Let's put together a list of candidates who ever played for the Sox but have never coached more than a little league team. You know, save the Sox some time.

LITTLE NELL
08-03-2013, 05:20 PM
I watch most of the Rays games and he never leaves Maddon's side, if any of Maddon's managing prowess rubs off on Martinez, I don't know. Let the Rays keep Martinez and lets take Maddon off their hands.

DSpivack
08-03-2013, 05:20 PM
Let's put together a list of candidates who ever played for the Sox but have never coached more than a little league team. You know, save the Sox some time.

Maybe they can bring back the Cubs college of coaches, except for only former players.

KyWhiSoxFan
08-03-2013, 05:42 PM
Maybe the Sox should hire Tino Martinez as the manager so he can insult, curse, and berate all the hitters.

SoxFanCPA
08-03-2013, 06:04 PM
Ron Karkovice.

soltrain21
08-03-2013, 06:06 PM
Tony Phillips or bust.

Mr. Jinx
08-03-2013, 06:11 PM

Paco Martin!!

mahagga73
08-03-2013, 06:20 PM
Maybe the Sox should hire Tino Martinez as the manager so he can insult, curse, and berate all the hitters.
I heard that might not be an accurate account of events there.

TaylorStSox
08-03-2013, 07:07 PM
I'm thinking that there must be something not generally known to the public about Martinez that has prevented him from getting a manager's position. I can't blame Sox management if that is in fact the case.

I've always had those suspicions myself.

sullythered
08-03-2013, 07:58 PM
He was supposed to be a hot managerial commodity after the '11 season. If so, how come he hasn't been hired by someone else by now? Besides, I highly doubt Robin is going anywhere.

I don't put ANY stock in the "why didn't somebody hire him sooner" argument after what Thibs has done with the Bulls.

eriqjaffe
08-03-2013, 08:11 PM
Whomever they hire, he *must* have played for the Sox. That is apparently a major qualification to coach here.Well, Dave Martinez fits that bill.

ZombieRob
08-03-2013, 08:19 PM
I loved him very underrated player and a good choice

Brian26
08-03-2013, 09:11 PM

I heard that might not be an accurate account of events there.

I'm going to take Tino's side on that one too.

Shoeless
08-03-2013, 09:55 PM

Lyle Mouton. Done.

Mr. Jinx
08-03-2013, 10:06 PM
Lyle Mouton. Done.

He was way too lazy. Carlos Lee is a much better choice.

WhiteSox5187
08-03-2013, 10:42 PM

I hear Mike Huff has done some great things at those Bulls-Sox Academies.

bestkosher
08-03-2013, 11:03 PM
I am thinking of Mike Caruso and Herbert Perry for hitting coach

soltrain21
08-03-2013, 11:14 PM
What is Ben Davis up to?

tstrike2000
08-03-2013, 11:47 PM
Jose Paniagua.

lpneck
08-04-2013, 12:05 AM
I hear Mike Huff has done some great things at those Bulls-Sox Academies.

Remember him doing some television broadcasting?

sunofgold
08-04-2013, 12:21 AM
Konerko or Thome

SBSoxFan
08-04-2013, 05:06 AM

Then Mike Squires could be the bench coach.

gosox41
08-04-2013, 07:20 AM

Ron Hassey. Didn't the team like him so much, they traded for him 2-3 times in the '80's?

KingXerxes
08-04-2013, 07:47 AM
maybe they can bring back the cubs college of coaches, except for only former players.

lol!

lpneck
08-04-2013, 08:47 AM
I'll be honest- I would like the Sox to consider hiring Ryne Sandberg, and think they should have done it two years ago when he got jilted by the Cubs.

He has paid the dues that Robin never did in the minors (and has had success coaching in both the Cubs and Phillies organizations.)

I think his record shows he's going to be good, and I think he has a chip on his shoulder towards the Cubs and will want to stick it to them any way he possibly can- to me that's a pretty good set of traits for the White Sox manager to have.

That being said I think there's a good chance Charlie Manuel leaves after this year and he gets the Phillies job.

Fastball23
08-04-2013, 08:49 AM
I'll be honest- I would like the Sox to consider hiring Ryne Sandberg, and think they should have done it two years ago when he got jilted by the Cubs.

He has paid the dues that Robin never did in the minors (and has had success coaching in both the Cubs and Phillies organizations.)

I think his record shows he's going to be good, and I think he has a chip on his shoulder towards the Cubs and will want to stick it to them any way he possibly can- to me that's a pretty good set of traits for the White Sox manager to have.

That being said I think there's a good chance Charlie Manuel leaves after this year and he gets the Phillies job.

Sandberg would be my 2nd choice behind Dave Martinez. I'm totally shocked that these 2 men aren't Mgrs by now.

dickallen15
08-04-2013, 09:01 AM
Remember him doing some television broadcasting?

Oh my gosh.

jdm2662
08-04-2013, 09:13 AM

I would've been ok to hiring him because he paid his dues in the minors and had success. If I'm worried about sticking it up to the Cubs, I would hire their former mascot Kerry Wood. I don't really care about the Cubs. I only care about the White Sox winning.

I also think Manuel will be stepping down soon, and Sandberg will be in line to replace him.

Medford Bobby
08-09-2013, 05:35 PM
The Milkman!! :cool:

shes
08-10-2013, 09:51 AM
I don't put ANY stock in the "why didn't somebody hire him sooner" argument after what Thibs has done with the Bulls.

I was about to post the same. Like Martinez, Thibs had a great rep around the league and was a hot coaching candidate. Like Martinez, no one hired him when he first threw his hat in the ring (the Bulls, in their infinite wisdom, wanted both VDN and Collins ahead of Thibs).

I don't think Martinez will ever be as good a manager as Thibs is a coach, but there are some interesting parallels there.

Mr. Jinx
08-10-2013, 10:07 AM
I was about to post the same. Like Martinez, Thibs had a great rep around the league and was a hot coaching candidate. Like Martinez, no one hired him when he first threw his hat in the ring (the Bulls, in their infinite wisdom, wanted both VDN and Collins ahead of Thibs).

I don't think Martinez will ever be as good a manager as Thibs is a coach, but there are some interesting parallels there.

Maybe Martinez will have Sale throw 150 pitches a game and play all the regular starting lineup 160 games too.

34rancher
08-10-2013, 11:01 AM
All joking aside, whenever AJ is ready to manage hire him. He would be a great manager IMO.

pythons007
08-10-2013, 10:06 PM
Royce Clayton as head coach Carl Everett as hitting coach Jamie Navarro as pitching coach and Jose Valentin as bench coach.

skobabe8
08-11-2013, 10:06 AM
Royce Clayton as head coach Carl Everett as hitting coach Jamie Navarro as pitching coach and Jose Valentin as bench coach.

What a clubhouse that would be.

kittle42
08-16-2013, 01:15 PM
From the wires:

CBS Sports' Danny Knobler reports that Ryne Sandberg will replace Charlie Manuel as the Phillies' manager.

It's the logical move, as Sandberg managed the Phillies' Triple-A affiliate from 2011-12 before taking over as the third base coach for the big league club this season.

Now this is how you hire a manager - seasoned, progressed through the system. Not by picking a name out of a hat of fan favorites who never coached.

Tragg
08-16-2013, 01:19 PM
Meh

With all that experience, would he have the wisdom to sacrifice bunt in the 9th with 2 on, down 2, to get the bat in the hands of Danks the younger?

dickallen15
08-16-2013, 01:34 PM
From the wires:

CBS Sports' Danny Knobler reports that Ryne Sandberg will replace Charlie Manuel as the Phillies' manager.

It's the logical move, as Sandberg managed the Phillies' Triple-A affiliate from 2011-12 before taking over as the third base coach for the big league club this season.

Now this is how you hire a manager - seasoned, progressed through the system. Not by picking a name out of a hat of fan favorites who never coached.

The Sox did it the way you like. Terry Bevington was a fine manager.

dickallen15
08-16-2013, 01:34 PM
Meh

With all that experience, would he have the wisdom to sacrifice bunt in the 9th with 2 on, down 2, to get the bat in the hands of Danks the younger?

Considering you don't have any experience, I don't see how you could judge. Apparently, without any managerial experience people know nothing about baseball.

kittle42
08-16-2013, 01:42 PM
The Sox did it the way you like. Terry Bevington was a fine manager.

Considering you don't have any experience, I don't see how you could judge. Apparently, without any managerial experience people know nothing about baseball.

I would bet my life savings that managers who have experience as Sandberg does have fared better over time than those with none, just like in the rest of the working world. I'd love to get an interview with your company, please.

LITTLE NELL
08-16-2013, 01:58 PM
From the wires:

The better way to do it is to steal a guy like Maddon from TB. That worked very well with a guy named Al Lopez when we stole him from the Indians in 1957.

dickallen15
08-16-2013, 02:01 PM
I would bet my life savings that managers who have experience as Sandberg does have fared better over time than those with none, just like in the rest of the working world. I'd love to get an interview with your company, please.

It's baseball, not real life. There are hundreds of thousands of people who could manage a baseball team based on moves that are considered "the book". The other stuff where your precious "experience" is required is knowing how to handle people and the ins and outs of a major league baseball clubhouse, for which Ventura's 15 year playing career, and history of a team leader make him quite qualified.

I do agree though, Mike Matheny needs to be replaced by Dave Martinez. They shouldn't even interview him. Just give him the job. He stands next to Joe Maddon every game, that should be good enough to figure he will be a great manager.

The Sox aren't in last place because of the manager.

SCCWS
08-16-2013, 02:02 PM

I understand and agree with your comparison to the business world. I also know that even with experience, some people make great number 2's but then fail as a number 1. We hear the term that a person was over=promoted.
But sports does not always follow that. Besides Robin who I think will go ( or at least Manto), Jason Kidd is another one who went directly from player to coach. Mark Jackson also went from TV to coaching. Strange but maybe the transition in Sports is easier. But I agree that guys with little or no experience have probably had a poor success rate

kittle42
08-16-2013, 02:05 PM
It's baseball, not real life. There are hundreds of thousands of people who could manage a baseball team based on moves that are considered "the book". The other stuff where your precious "experience" is required is knowing how to handle people and the ins and outs of a major league baseball clubhouse, for which Ventura's 15 year playing career, and history of a team leader make him quite qualified.

I do agree though, Mike Matheny needs to be replaced by Dave Martinez. They shouldn't even interview him. Just give him the job. He stands next to Joe Maddon every game, that should be good enough to figure he will be a great manager.

The Sox aren't in last place because of the manager.

Man, your post is all over the place, hinging your POV on a number of examples I can count on one hand, saying that jobs in sports (or at least baseball) are nothing like real life (a manager of people is a manager of people), and then saying I'm implying the Sox are in last place because of the manager.

But go ahead and pile on! My precious "experience"....ha!

dickallen15
08-16-2013, 02:15 PM
Man, your post is all over the place, hinging your POV on a number of examples I can count on one hand, saying that jobs in sports (or at least baseball) are nothing like real life (a manager of people is a manager of people), and then saying I'm implying the Sox are in last place because of the manager.

But go ahead and pile on! My precious "experience"....ha!

Tony LaRussa had about 1/2 a season as a major league coach and about 1 year as a minor league manager when he became a manager. Comparing being a MLB manager with a job in the regular world doesn't make sense. The Sox hired guys who had "paid their dues". People with zero experience said all their moves were incorrect as well. It's great to use as an excuse when you want to complain about Ventura, but chances are, whoever the manager is, people aren't going to like them either. Ozzie had plenty of critics, Manuel had plenty of critics, Bevington had critics, so did Lamont and Torborg and Fregosi and LaRussa, and Kessinger and Doby and Lemon and Richards and Tanner etc.

Again, I am assuming you have less experience than Ventura. If it is so vital, how are you able to tell what he is doing is wrong? If his lack of experience makes him dumb, and not understand the game, what does it say about all of us on this website?

Tragg
08-16-2013, 02:17 PM
I'll credit Manto with at least one thing: Beckham and maybe even Rios.
And have we seen any hitter in these parts improve much over the past 5 years?

dickallen15
08-16-2013, 02:20 PM
I'll credit Manto with at least one thing: Beckham and maybe even Rios.
And have we seen any hitter in these parts improve much over the past 5 years?

I still maintain the problem isn't the hitting coach over the years, even when Walker was here. If it was, guys would leave, work with another hitting coach and be successful. The only guy who really did that was Nick Swisher, and one of the reasons the Sox got rid of him was because he didn't work with the hitting coach when he was struggling.

kittle42
08-16-2013, 02:24 PM
Tony LaRussa had about 1/2 a season as a major league coach and about 1 year as a minor league manager when he became a manager.

1/2 season + 1 season >>>> zero-point-zero seasons.

Again, I am assuming you have less experience than Ventura. If it is so vital, how are you able to tell what he is doing is wrong? If his lack of experience makes him dumb, and not understand the game, what does it say about all of us on this website?

One of my favorite lines of argument - those who have never played shouldn't be able to comment. We comment because we enjoy the sport and are fans - I don't think many of us think we can manage a game or a team (some do, but they're deluded). For MLB managers, it's a job. For us, it's entertainment.

dickallen15
08-16-2013, 02:32 PM
1/2 season + 1 season >>>> zero-point-zero seasons.

One of my favorite lines of argument - those who have never played shouldn't be able to comment. We comment because we enjoy the sport and are fans - I don't think many of us think we can manage a game or a team (some do, but they're deluded). For MLB managers, it's a job. For us, it's entertainment.

If experience is required and you have none, your opinion, using your own criteria, is uninformed. You obviously cannot know what you are talking about. If Robin's "inexperience" causes him to make stupid decisions, how do the rest of us with zero experience even know his decisions are incorrect? How come playing for 15 years in the major leagues and being a team leader for the vast majority of those seasons, counts as zero experience anyways?

Besides, he now has almost 2 years of managerial experience. The lack of experience argument needs to go away.

Crestani
08-16-2013, 03:58 PM

Jose can also be the fileding coach..!!:D: