PDA

View Full Version : *Official* Halfway down the toilet bowl 8/2 Postgame Thread

tstrike2000
08-02-2013, 08:29 PM
Ehh, another typical Sox loss.

LITTLE NELL
08-02-2013, 08:34 PM
Will the Sox win another game this year?

Paulwny
08-02-2013, 08:37 PM
Will the Sox win another game this year?

Only if our starters pitch shutouts.

SoxSpeed22
08-02-2013, 08:40 PM
Same old ****. If Benoit keeps pitching like that, the Tigers might have their biggest issue solved.

Noneck
08-02-2013, 08:44 PM
This appears to be the most painful team in my lifetime. This team may not end up with 106 losses like the 1970 team but it is so much worse in my eyes. At least the 70 team had likable players and quite a few young position players with a future. In my over 50 years of baseball this is the 1st team I would not go to see now, no matter if the seat was free or where it was located.

Patrick134
08-02-2013, 08:46 PM
This appears to be the most painful team in my lifetime. This team may not end up with 106 losses like the 1970 team but it is so much worse in my eyes. At least the 70 team had likable players and quite a few young position players with a future. In my over 50 years of baseball this is the 1st team I would not go to see now, no matter if the seat was free or where it was located.

Ehh, most painful would be a team that should be doing better having actual tough luck losses. The Sox have painfully earned their current spot, and deserve to be there.

Noneck
08-02-2013, 08:47 PM
Ehh, most painful would be a team that should be doing better having actual tough luck losses. The Sox have painfully earned their current spot, and deserve to be there.

Nah tough losses I can deal with. There is always hope the next day with a tough loss.

RCWHITESOX
08-02-2013, 08:57 PM
Ehh, another typical Sox loss.

This team isn't half way down the toilet; it is all the way down the toilet and headed at top speed for the sewer.

Brian26
08-02-2013, 08:57 PM

A bit dramatic though. Am I crazy that I can go watch a bad baseball team and still enjoy myself? You have to treat each day independently of the rest of the season. The Sox aren't in the race, that's no secret. It would be a shame to neglect going out to the park on a nice day and watching a major league game. Beats living in Alaska.

roylestillman
08-02-2013, 08:58 PM
The first time the Sox have been 27 games under .500 since 1976...and that occurred on September 22. They ended up 33 games under that year. We are staring down historic bad here, and aside from the starting rotation, it couldn't happen to a more deserving group.

Noneck
08-02-2013, 09:03 PM
A bit dramatic though. Am I crazy that I can go watch a bad baseball team and still enjoy myself? You have to treat each day independently of the rest of the season. The Sox aren't in the race, that's no secret. It would be a shame to neglect going out to the park on a nice day and watching a major league game. Beats living in Alaska.

Im really not acting dramatic. I am telling all how I feel. This is the first time I have felt this way. I would rather sit on my porch and watch lighting bugs than go see this bunch.

I went to august and even september 1970 games, they were totally cooked then but I still enjoyed it because I liked a lot of players and as I said I saw young position players that had a future in my young eyes.

TaylorStSox
08-02-2013, 09:15 PM
I'm the same way. At this point, I'm rooting for individual players and I like the pitching.

CoopaLoop
08-02-2013, 10:16 PM
Aside from enjoying Chris Sale and possibly seeing what Andre Rienzo has to offer, there isn't much to watch on the field.

The Peavy trade got me invested again, but now it's all about what Hahn can do to rebuild what was left in ruin by the previous GM.

soxnut67
08-02-2013, 10:32 PM
After the first couple of months I was having fits about this team. But I'm not mad anymore. I'd still like to go to one more game this year, just to enjoy the park. And if I go in September, hopefully Garcia will be up and I'd like to see how he does.

Trying to look in the bright side, the Sox have some pretty good starting pitching and they are young. If the team had average hitting and average defense, who knows where they would be? How many close games have there been this year? I don't have the stats, but it seems like they were in alot of games, just because of their pitching. What a waste.....

LoveYourSuit
08-02-2013, 10:35 PM

I'm on the fence for this. Heading to the Dells with the kids in two weeks and was thinking about driving further west 2-3 hours for a day and taking on a Sox game at Target Field.

Not sure if it's worth my time, money, and drive.

ChicagoHoosier
08-02-2013, 10:37 PM
As painful as this season has been, I have to be optimistic about our pitching. I love Sale, Quintana, Santiago, and some of the prospects. If Danks finds some way to become 75% of what we had hoped when we extended him, then we've got a very solid pitching staff. Reed... still not so sure, but has promise too.

Funny how we used to score so many runs and lose 8-7. Now it's the opposite.

slavko
08-02-2013, 10:55 PM
Im really not acting dramatic. I am telling all how I feel. This is the first time I have felt this way. I would rather sit on my porch and watch lighting bugs than go see this bunch.

I went to august and even september 1970 games, they were totally cooked then but I still enjoyed it because I liked a lot of players and as I said I saw young position players that had a future in my young eyes.

And by '72 Dick Allen was here and they were fixed. So chin up and think about the mosquitos carrying the West Nile virus mixed in with the lightning bugs.:smile:

hoosiersoxfan
08-02-2013, 11:12 PM
As painful as this season has been, I have to be optimistic about our pitching. I love Sale, Quintana, Santiago, and some of the prospects. If Danks finds some way to become 75% of what we had hoped when we extended him, then we've got a very solid pitching staff. Reed... still not so sure, but has promise too.

Funny how we used to score so many runs and lose 8-7. Now it's the opposite.

Exactly what I was thinking. Scoring never seemed to be the problem. The complaints were always the team was always station to station with no speed but at least there were plenty of home runs and therefor runs scored.

Now if only we could match this years pitching staff with the power hitting lineups of the past.

Noneck
08-02-2013, 11:46 PM
And by '72 Dick Allen was here and they were fixed. So chin up and think about the mosquitos carrying the West Nile virus mixed in with the lightning bugs.:smile:

Hope springs eternal

chisox59
08-02-2013, 11:49 PM
I totally agree with this. I've never felt so disconnected to a team in my life as I have the 2013 White Sox. The 1970 team had Ed Herrmann, Bill Melton and Gail Hopkins as well as some long time favorites in Luis Aparicio, Ken Berry, Joel Horlen and Tommy John. You knew Herrmann and Melton were going to be good and Hopkins brought us Pat Kelly when he was traded to the Royals after the season. The 1976 team was an abomination as well but at least Bill Veeck made it fun.

Noneck
08-03-2013, 12:14 AM
I totally agree with this. I've never felt so disconnected to a team in my life as I have the 2013 White Sox. The 1970 team had Ed Herrmann, Bill Melton and Gail Hopkins as well as some long time favorites in Luis Aparicio, Ken Berry, Joel Horlen and Tommy John. You knew Herrmann and Melton were going to be good and Hopkins brought us Pat Kelly when he was traded to the Royals after the season. The 1976 team was an abomination as well but at least Bill Veeck made it fun.

You also had Carlos May and of course Walter Williams, fan favorites.

StillMissOzzie
08-03-2013, 12:47 AM
You also had Carlos May and of course Walter Williams, fan favorites.

Wait a minute...you're saying Walt Williams was one of your favorite players? I never would have guessed it!

SMO
:tongue:

Noneck
08-03-2013, 01:04 AM
Wait a minute...you're saying Walt Williams was one of your favorite players? I never would have guessed it!

SMO
:tongue:

Yea He kinda was.:redface:

soxfanreggie
08-03-2013, 01:10 AM
We may set a record for most quality starts lost in a season.

KingXerxes
08-03-2013, 02:37 AM
I for one am getting sick of being clubbed over the head with constant pre-game, in-game and post-game references to "the young left handed rotation".

I'll be the first one to tell you the White Sox starting staff is their strength going forward, but I won't tell you over and over and over again. This is clearly some sort or quasi marketing effort by the White Sox in that all the broadcasters (TV and radio), the GM and everybody else connected with the club keeps constantly parroting the same talking points.

Fans aren't stupid. They can see where this team is strong and where it's weak. Right now the White Sox are holding up the AL Central, so there are a multitude of weaknesses outweighing the strengths. Yet for the past week or so all we keep hearing is "what a young staff full of promise we have". OK - we get it. Now how do the problems get fixed?

I'm waiting for Einhorn to reappear saying, "We've got the best starting staff in the history of baseball".

TomBradley72
08-03-2013, 08:43 AM
Out of 113 White Sox seasons in their history- this team ranks 108th.

Ahead of only the 1931, 1934, 1970, 1948 and 1932 teams.

Last 3 months:

June- 8-19
July- 8-18
August- 0-2

.271 winning percentage over that span, projects to 44 wins over a full season.

2nd Half Overall 3-12

Dead, lifeless team lead by a manager in over his head. (I thought he could do it- I was wrong)

SI1020
08-03-2013, 08:46 AM
Dead, lifeless team lead by a manager in over his head. (I thought he could do it- I was wrong) I felt the same way.

nsolo
08-03-2013, 09:39 AM
So do you have season tickets that need to be used or sold to get a return on your investment, or do you just buy tickets as needed? If your buying your tickets individually, your pain threshold is greater than mine. It may qualify as a major league game, but the reality is that except for our pitching, many minor league teams are performing at a higher level.

I've already turned down free tickets. My thought process is why financially support such a crappy product? Even with free tickets, parking, food and beer still puts money in JR's pocket. Yes, I know I don't have to eat or drink, but watching this team without beer is akin to getting teeth pulled without novocaine.

Glad your enjoying your time at the park, but if I really wanted to follow the this years team, I'd enjoy it on the radio sitting on my patio with a tasty adult beverage. Its still a summer night, and the food and beer are cheaper.

Brian26
08-03-2013, 09:50 AM

Luis Aparicio on the '70 team was the equivalent of what Konerko is today, right? Was this after he came back from his stint in Baltimore?

Brian26
08-03-2013, 09:54 AM
So do you have season tickets that need to be used or sold to get a return on your investment, or do you just buy tickets as needed? If your buying your tickets individually, your pain threshold is greater than mine. It may qualify as a major league game, but the reality is that except for our pitching, many minor league teams are performing at a higher level.

I've already turned down free tickets. My thought process is why financially support such a crappy product? Even with free tickets, parking, food and beer still puts money in JR's pocket. Yes, I know I don't have to eat or drink, but watching this team without beer is akin to getting teeth pulled without novocaine.

Glad your enjoying your time at the park, but if I really wanted to follow the this years team, I'd enjoy it on the radio sitting on my patio with a tasty adult beverage. Its still a summer night, and the food and beer are cheaper.

Tickets are already purchased here, plus I have some vouchers for free games, so your point is well taken. It is tempting not to go, but I can't let the tickets go to waste. I can tell you that I'm not dropping $100 on food or parking by any means. CTA and bringing food in. Still beats living in Alaska. I do like listening to Ed and DJ in the backyard while doing work.

Zakath
08-03-2013, 10:31 AM
We're one of only two teams in MLB that hasn't scored 400 runs yet (the Marlins are the other). It's a tribute to the pitching that we're only -83 in run differential at the moment.

The Red Sox have scored 167 more runs than the White Sox. Peavy and Thornton won't know how to pitch with run support.

We're also one of only three MLB teams that hasn't won 20 games on the road yet. And, of course, only the Astros have a poorer record.

We're setting new recent highs in low.

SI1020
08-03-2013, 10:39 AM
Luis Aparicio on the '70 team was the equivalent of what Konerko is today, right? Was this after he came back from his stint in Baltimore? Aparacio was traded back to the White Sox in November of 67 after spending 5 years with the Orioles, and picking up a WS ring in 66. He rejuvenated his career that was on the downside in 67 at Baltimore. In 1970 he hit .313, a career highest and posted his highest OWAR if you're into that. His fielding was still top notch, although by that time he wasn't stealing very many bases anymore. Louis was one of the bright spots in 1970. He was traded to Boston for Luis Alvarado and Mike Andrews in December of 1970. He spent 3 years on the Bosox before retiring.

TomBradley72
08-03-2013, 11:12 AM
Tickets are already purchased here, plus I have some vouchers for free games, so your point is well taken. It is tempting not to go, but I can't let the tickets go to waste. I can tell you that I'm not dropping $100 on food or parking by any means. CTA and bringing food in. Still beats living in Alaska. I do like listening to Ed and DJ in the backyard while doing work.

I'll head down for one more game in September to see Paulie play one more time- that will put me at 4 Sox games on the year- the fewest Ive ever had while living in the Chicago area-

PalehosePlanet
08-03-2013, 11:34 AM
Out of 113 White Sox seasons in their history- this team ranks 108th.

Ahead of only the 1931, 1934, 1970, 1948 and 1932 teams.

Last 3 months:

June- 8-19
July- 8-18
August- 0-2

.271 winning percentage over that span, projects to 44 wins over a full season.

2nd Half Overall 3-12

Dead, lifeless team lead by a manager in over his head. (I thought he could do it- I was wrong)

Wow...yeah I was thinking this morning that this has to be one of our worst teams in our 113 year history. You proved my suspicions.

Since being 24-24 in late May we've gone 16-43. I've been following the team since I was a child in the 70's and I'm guessing that none of those teams ever had a streak where we lost 43 of 59 games.

hawkjt
08-03-2013, 11:44 AM
Wow...yeah I was thinking this morning that this has to be one of our worst teams in our 113 year history. You proved my suspicions.

Since being 24-24 in late May we've gone 16-43. I've been following the team since I was a child in the 70's and I'm guessing that none of those teams ever had a streak where we lost 43 of 59 games.

That is an amazingly bad stretch for a pro baseball team.

I am numb to the losing now,and am watching to see the pitchers,and how Gordo keeps hitting, Phegley, PK, Gilaspie, and Tank.

I hope Garcia is up soon so I can watch him also.

It sucks,but I still love baseball,and watching young prospects is still fun to me.

JB98
08-03-2013, 01:04 PM
That is an amazingly bad stretch for a pro baseball team.

I am numb to the losing now,and am watching to see the pitchers,and how Gordo keeps hitting, Phegley, PK, Gilaspie, and Tank.

I hope Garcia is up soon so I can watch him also.

It sucks,but I still love baseball,and watching young prospects is still fun to me.

Me too. He's 3-for-6 with a HR, two singles, a walk and four RBIs his first two games in Charlotte. I don't think he's really being challenged by AAA pitching at this point in his development.

SoxSpeed22
08-03-2013, 01:43 PM
Me too. He's 3-for-6 with a HR, two singles, a walk and four RBIs his first two games in Charlotte. I don't think he's really being challenged by AAA pitching at this point in his development.The Home Run he hit was an impressive showing of opposite field power, but it was off of a rolling curveball. The problem is AAA pitchers just aren't good enough to capitalize off of Garcias weaknesses. They don't have the go-to pitch, or deceptive ability to throw him off.
This was the same case with Mike Moustakas, who put up some very impressive numbers in the minors, despite not drawing that many walks. Once he got up to the majors, and pitchers got to know him, he has regressed every season with the Royals, compounded with a .238 BABIP this year.
A lot of it is on Garcia to develop more as a player, but I also doubt that being in AAA is doing him that much good. The good news is it's only for August and then he will be here in September.