PDA

View Full Version : Robin's Place In Sox History

shingo10
08-01-2013, 11:28 PM
Robin was one of the most adored Sox players and had a really good "legacy" for lack of better team with the South Side.

Now that things have gone so completely bad under his watch as manager I was wondering how or if his place in Sox history has been affected by it in the eyes of the fans.

Personally I hope he sticks around. I don't think there is a manager in the league that could have done much with the group of guys this year.

But if he doesn't come back next year, how has this stint as manager affected your opinion of him?

DSpivack
08-01-2013, 11:52 PM
Unchanged. My fond memories of him were as as a 3B for the Sox. While I don't think he has shown much as manager, I don't really blame him, either. The roster is the problem this season.

LITTLE NELL
08-02-2013, 05:19 AM
Even going back to last year I have always had the feeling that his heart is really not in the job of managing. He might be better suited down the road as a GM or some other kind of Front Office job.

Railsplitter
08-02-2013, 07:50 AM
Good player, not so good manager.

Milw
08-02-2013, 02:38 PM
Even going back to last year I have always had the feeling that his heart is really not in the job of managing. He might be better suited down the road as a GM or some other kind of Front Office job.
I've felt the same way. He doesn't look like he's really enjoying himself. I understand it's hard to enjoy managing one of the worst teams in baseball, but even last year when the Sox were in first place, it almost seemed like he had a detached indifference. I'm honestly surprised he's said he wants to come back next year, unless he's just saying that because he doesn't want to quit midseason and be a lame duck.

His heart just doesn't seem to be in it. I don't mean that as criticism, just that not everybody is going to find every job fulfilling.

Noneck
08-02-2013, 04:21 PM
My take on Ventura is this. He was given a once in lifetime opportunity the easy way. He didnt have to coach first and didnt have to work his way up through the minors. Being a manager may not have been on his wish list but he figured this was his chance to see it was for him. He got the job and didnt really enjoy it and the money he is being paid is nothing to a man of his means. But he is a man of his word and would never quit something he started.

Everyone knows how difficult it is to work at a job they really dont like.

amsteel
08-02-2013, 05:56 PM
Great player, bad manager who failed at a job that was given to him (that he may not have even wanted) for all the wrong reasons.

voodoochile
08-02-2013, 06:06 PM
I can separate the two careers and misunderstood the question. I voted for negative because my opinion of him as a manager has declined in the last year. Nothing will ever make me think less of him as a player or his place in team history due to that time. Even though I think he's not a very good manager I don't hold it against him. He was given a chance, but not everyone can be a manager and he pretty much got thrown to the wolves.

insp
08-04-2013, 02:20 AM
Unchanged.

He still has another year to go. Wait until end of next season to pass judgment on him.

gosox41
08-04-2013, 07:38 AM
Robin was one of the most adored Sox players and had a really good "legacy" for lack of better team with the South Side.

Now that things have gone so completely bad under his watch as manager I was wondering how or if his place in Sox history has been affected by it in the eyes of the fans.

Personally I hope he sticks around. I don't think there is a manager in the league that could have done much with the group of guys this year.

But if he doesn't come back next year, how has this stint as manager affected your opinion of him?

I can seperate his playing and managing career. And Robin was an above average third basemen who I enjoyed wathcing, especially with that sweet swing.

But I'll be honest (and will probably get ripped on) I always thought Robin, with his credentials, sweet swing, mental toughness should have been a HOF talent. It didn't pan out. Still an above average player though.

One other thing I'll note. Maybe I have selective memory, but it wasn't until Robin left that I felt fans really had this love fest with him. I don't remember as much of that when he was here. I think people loved him more after he came back from that grusome injury, but I don't recall as much love for Robin until after he was gone.

Bob

voodoochile
08-04-2013, 09:15 AM
I will give him credit for Rios' turnaround. Alex has been on fire and playing like we expect him to since the benching.

Hitmen77
08-04-2013, 02:33 PM
Unchanged. My fond memories of him were as as a 3B for the Sox. While I don't think he has shown much as manager, I don't really blame him, either. The roster is the problem this season.

"Unchanged" and "I can separate...." are essentially the same answer IMO and that's how I feel about Robin.

Just because KW & Co. hired him out of the blue with zero qualifications to manage a team and organization that is very thin on talent doesn't change how I feel/felt about Ventura as a player.

My answer would be different if he acted like a total ass while floundering as manager. But that's not his style. Perhaps the Sox hired him because they knew he could be classy while taking his lumps as the team implodes (from lack of organizational talent) and begins a slow rebuild process.