PDA

View Full Version : Hahn on 670thescore

#1swisher
08-01-2013, 10:17 AM
Jay Zawaski ‏@JayZawaski670 (https://twitter.com/JayZawaski670)
[/URL] Sox GM Rick Hahn scheduled to join @MattSpiegel670 (https://twitter.com/JayZawaski670/status/362936362174918656) and @BenFinfer (https://twitter.com/BenFinfer) in the 1st segment (9am) of today's show.

LISTEN
[url]http://betaplayer.radio.com/player/670-the-score

Bernstein:
By the end of this season, we should see a team incrementally closer to winning another World Series.
http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2013/07/31/bernstein-smarter-sox-done-fooling-fans/

aryzner
08-01-2013, 10:23 AM
I didn't hear the whole thing but did I hear him say something about some of the Peavy money going towards international signings? Correct me if I'm wrong. I'll have to listen to the whole recording later when it's up.

EMachine10
08-01-2013, 10:34 AM
I didn't hear the whole thing but did I hear him say something about some of the Peavy money going towards international signings? Correct me if I'm wrong. I'll have to listen to the whole recording later when it's up.
He did. He said it will go towards the international signings, draft (bad season, good pick, more money allotted), and potentially some signings.

rdivaldi
08-01-2013, 10:39 AM
Rick said all the right things, very good interview. Now he has to back up his words with some actions.

Stanley
08-01-2013, 10:45 AM
Any other "right things" that Hahn said? Don't have time to listen. "Incrementally closer to a world series", though -- That got me.

:bliss::sunshine:

rdivaldi
08-01-2013, 10:57 AM
Any other "right things" that Hahn said? Don't have time to listen. "Incrementally closer to a world series", though -- That got me.

"We're going to spend money on international and supplemental drafts"
"We're not going to sacrifice our long term goals of building a consistent winner"
"We're going to be active with free agents"

Nothing really ground breaking.

jamokes
08-01-2013, 11:22 AM
Seems like a nice guy, but do you TRUST him? Tell him to keep Kenny Williams out of the office too.

MtGrnwdSoxFan
08-01-2013, 11:52 AM
Seems like a nice guy, but do you TRUST him? Tell him to keep Kenny Williams out of the office too.

Do we have any reason not to trust Hahn?

tstrike2000
08-01-2013, 12:03 PM
Rick said all the right things, very good interview. Now he has to back up his words with some actions.

Agreed. Hahn and Kenny have always been great talkers, it's just a matter now of seeing how this changing of the guard organizationally works out.

#1swisher
08-01-2013, 01:03 PM
Dan Hayes

ďIt isnít always available to the media, to the fans, which is unfortunate because they donít see the anger, they donít see the high energy, they donít see the confrontations and communication with the players,Ē Hahn said. ďAnd I think to Robin and his staffís credit, that stays behind closed doors, where the players and the staff would prefer that to take place.Ē

http://www.csnchicago.com/white-sox-talk/hahn-backs-effort-ventura-coaches

Moses_Scurry
08-01-2013, 01:32 PM

Is "incrementally close" good or bad?

It seems hard to believe that they could be FARTHER away from a world series in 2014 than this stinker of a year.

dickallen15
08-01-2013, 01:34 PM

That was Bernstein who wrote that. Hahn didn't say it.

Noneck
08-01-2013, 01:50 PM
Tell him to keep Kenny Williams out of the office too.

He might be able to keep Williams out of his office but he wont be able to keep the guy out that signs his checks.That I believe will be his problem.

SouthSideMike
08-01-2013, 02:57 PM
He also mentioned the possibility of using the waiver process to unload some players that didn't get moved at the deadline.

It also sounded like he's not anxious to make a change at manager; said they don't anticipate making changes "in the near term", though he obviously didn't say specifically what kind of timeframe "near term" implies.

Obviously they could still part ways, or Ventura himself could decide not to come back.

BainesHOF
08-01-2013, 11:25 PM
Hahn dismissed any thought that Venutra wasn't a problem. His main point was that Ventura is addressing problems behind the scenes. Of course, that misses the point completely. Whatever Ventura's doing, the team has crashed and burned under him to an unprecedented extent in my lifetime. I don't expect Hahn to throw Ventura under the bus, but his riff on Ventura seemed like he genuinely believed what he was saying. That's extremely disturbing, and bodes badly for Hahn's ability to see and address problems.

ChicagoG19
08-01-2013, 11:49 PM
Hahn dismissed any thought that Venutra wasn't a problem. His main point was that Ventura is addressing problems behind the scenes. Of course, that misses the point completely. Whatever Ventura's doing, the team has crashed and burned under him to an unprecedented extent in my lifetime. I don't expect Hahn to throw Ventura under the bus, but his riff on Ventura seemed like he genuinely believed what he was saying. That's extremely disturbing, and bodes badly for Hahn's ability to see and address problems.

I personally don't think Ventura is a problem. The team was in contention last year until September. The players are just playing like crap this year and I don't that's on him.

BainesHOF
08-02-2013, 01:18 AM
I personally don't think Ventura is a problem. The team was in contention last year until September.

Yes, and September was one of the biggest collapses in team history. Ventura's handling of the pitching was atrocious last year, especially down the stretch.

rdivaldi
08-02-2013, 01:29 AM
but his riff on Ventura seemed like he genuinely believed what he was saying. That's extremely disturbing, and bodes badly for Hahn's ability to see and address problems.

I doubt that anyone could possibly get into Hahn's mind on this, especially going off a radio interview. I think we'll find out this fall what he's really thinking.

StillMissOzzie
08-02-2013, 02:28 AM
Do we have any reason not to trust Hahn?

I don't know if "trust" is the right word here, but Hahn did tell us that Flowers' defense, saving runs, would more than make up for the decrease in offense from AJ's departure. I don't know if he believed that himself, or was simply parroting the party line in support of a decision that was made above his pay grade.

The sad thing is, he was right about the bad part and wrong about the good part. That is, he was right about the decrease in offense, and wrong about the improved defense saving runs.

SMO
:gulp:

sullythered
08-02-2013, 04:42 AM
He might be able to keep Williams out of his office but he wont be able to keep the guy out that signs his checks.That I believe will be his problem.

Did Jerry Reinsdorf insult your mother, or something?

Foulke You
08-02-2013, 06:03 PM
Yes, and September was one of the biggest collapses in team history. Ventura's handling of the pitching was atrocious last year, especially down the stretch.
Ehhh, I don't know...our collapse down the stretch last year had more to do with a team wide offensive slump for the last few weeks of the season. All of our veterans broke down physically or slumped in the last 2 weeks. Youk's knee was shot and he lost all of his power. Dunn couldn't really play through that oblique strain. Paulie's wrist killed his second half. De Aza was increasingly unavailable which forced Wise into the lineup more than he should have been, etc. etc. If you are going to critique Robin on 2012, I'd point to riding his starters a bit too hard but to be fair, he didn't have much of a bench to work with.

TDog
08-02-2013, 10:24 PM
Is "incrementally close" good or bad?

It seems hard to believe that they could be FARTHER away from a world series in 2014 than this stinker of a year.

How close were the Tigers to the World Series in 2003? Without the benefit of hindsight, were they one year farther away from the White Sox in 2003? And how close were the White Sox to the World Series in 2003 or 2004. What was the consensus in the WSI Clubhouse? Were the 2006 Tigers don't count because their postseason run was preceded by what could have been considered a historic collapse. Maybe the White Sox don't count because of their historic collapse that you used to hear about that didn't stop them from leading their division wire-to-wire and finishing with the best record in the American League.

For that matter, how close were the White Sox to the World Series in 1967 or the Cubs in 1969 or 1984 when Leon Durham said to reporters after not making a play on that final Sunday afternoon in San Diego that it was OK because they would be back next year. And how many years away were the Cubs to the World Series in 2003? We may never know.

It is ridiculous to look at teams that are having bad years and say they couldn't be farther away from the World Series.

Brian26
08-02-2013, 11:04 PM
How close were the Tigers to the World Series in 2003? Without the benefit of hindsight, were they one year farther away from the White Sox in 2003? And how close were the White Sox to the World Series in 2003 or 2004. What was the consensus in the WSI Clubhouse?.

I think they were fairly close. In 2003, they were one stinkin' 5th starter away from the playoffs. In 2004, if Mags and Frank don't go down, you never know. They probably would have given the Red Sox a run in the ALCS. The other problem with that 2004 scenario is that if Mags doesn't go down, then the Sox don't win the World Series in 2005.