07-31-2013, 10:33 PM
Suck it, Miami, we're worse!

24thStFan
07-31-2013, 10:36 PM
Go Astros...
I want that number 1 pick. :bandance:

WhiteSox5187
07-31-2013, 10:36 PM
This team is absolutely awful. It's not a question of if they will lose but how they will lose.

SoxSpeed22
07-31-2013, 10:39 PM
For ****s sake

cv sox fan
07-31-2013, 10:40 PM
2013 chicago whitesox inventing new ways to lose

rpmorri
07-31-2013, 10:41 PM
This team can go to hell, thanks. Oh, wait...they're already there.

kittle42
07-31-2013, 10:42 PM
Seriously, the number one pick is more important than wins this season. Keep losing, I say.

Corlose 15
07-31-2013, 10:43 PM
A good starting pitching staff doesn't go very far when you have a ****ty lineup and a ****ty bullpen.

Soxman219
07-31-2013, 10:44 PM
Worst team in baseball. At least the Astros and Marlins are already rebuilding. This is a team full of veterans playing like crap. What a ****ing mess.

samurai_sox
07-31-2013, 10:44 PM
We better draft the next face of the franchise with that high pic, I'm going to have HUGE expectations for whoever they get.

kittle42
07-31-2013, 10:45 PM
Worst team in baseball. At least the Astros and Marlins are already rebuilding. This is a team full of veterans playing like crap. What a ****ing mess.

Hey, it's saving me money.

Brian26
07-31-2013, 10:49 PM
this team can go to hell, thanks. Oh, wait...they're already there.

LOL, nice!

SoxSpeed22
07-31-2013, 10:52 PM
It was asked in the thread why Danks and Wells were here instead of Garcia. To which I say, keep Garcia the hell away from this ridiculous cluster****.

steviestayfresh
07-31-2013, 11:00 PM
Wish Rick would have moved Rios today so we could atleast see Garcia.
Why is Reed so frustrating???

voodoochile
07-31-2013, 11:02 PM
Garcia won't get enough at bats with the big club. Bring him up in September when it won't matter.

steviestayfresh
07-31-2013, 11:03 PM
Garcia won't get enough at bats with the big club. Bring him up in September when it won't matter.

Wait, it matters right now?

BainesHOF
07-31-2013, 11:05 PM
The screwed-up rundown in the first inning was one of the worst rundown attempts I've seen.

It sucks that Rios and Ramirez are still on the team. While the Peavy trade was great, Hahn only did half the job.

captain54
07-31-2013, 11:14 PM
Hawk intimated that Reed isn't sharp cause he doesn't have much of a chance to close, suggesting that the miserable offense hasn't put us in many leading-at the-top-of-the-ninth situations.. that's a valid point.

Iron Dragon2
07-31-2013, 11:14 PM
This team has to be the worst fielding Sox team I've seen. I replayed the rundown in the 1st....Holy crap. They look like my son's little league team. And this isn't the first time they've reminded me of them.

tstrike2000
07-31-2013, 11:15 PM
At least Wimpy got to see a highlight of himself hitting an RBI single from '83.

captain54
07-31-2013, 11:16 PM
It sucks that Rios and Ramirez are still on the team. .

It sucks that every guy that isn't named Sale is on the team..

LoveYourSuit
07-31-2013, 11:16 PM
Hawk intimated that Reed isn't sharp cause he doesn't have much of a chance to close, suggesting that the miserable offense hasn't put us in many leading-at the-top-of-the-ninth situations.. that's a valid point.

Maybe more to do that Reed sucks too.

shingo10
07-31-2013, 11:22 PM
Every closer seems to have a team that they just can't put away...

For Jenks it was Baltimore, for Reed it seems to be Cleveland.

I said it last night but it truly feels like this team will never win again. It has felt like the longest calendar year of baseball in my life. The collapse that never ends.

DrCrawdad
07-31-2013, 11:24 PM
This team is absolutely awful. It's not a question of if they will lose but how they will lose.

For whatever folks think of the "Quality Start" stat, the Sox apparently lead MLB in that but with terrible offense and defense they eliminate the benefit of the Quality Starts.

The screwed-up rundown in the first inning was one of the worst rundown attempts I've seen.

It sucks that Rios and Ramirez are still on the team. While the Peavy trade was great, Hahn only did half the job.

That rundown was embarrassing. Then to see Swisher laughing made it all the worse.

Pathetic team this year. Rios, Ramirez? Fine if they go but if please spare me anymore Matt Lindstrom. Robin, you need to wear this sucky team as well as the person who hired Robin as an MLB manager with no MLB (and IIRC no minor league) coaching experience.

MtGrnwdSoxFan
07-31-2013, 11:29 PM
For whatever folks think of the "Quality Start" stat, the Sox apparently lead MLB in that but with terrible offense and defense they eliminate the benefit of the Quality Starts.

Makes sense. The Sox have great starting pitching, but their offense, defense, and relief pitching are barely junior-college quality.

Just read that Quintana leads MLB with 14 no-decisions. Yikes.

JermaineDye05
07-31-2013, 11:30 PM
Add Nick Swisher to the list of mediocre-to-bad hitters we have put on intentionally.

mahagga73
07-31-2013, 11:37 PM
Seriously, the number one pick is more important than wins this season. Keep losing, I say.

They will miraculously go on a run at the end of the year and lose out on a real good top pick. That's typical Sox and my prediction .

mahagga73
07-31-2013, 11:38 PM
Add Nick Swisher to the list of mediocre-to-bad hitters we have put on intentionally.

Yeah, he got a real nice contract for 35 RBI at this point in the year.

ZombieRob
07-31-2013, 11:38 PM
Trea Turner, Tyler Beade, Carlos Rodon we'll for sure have to choose from.

doublem23
07-31-2013, 11:40 PM
They will miraculously go on a run at the end of the year and lose out on a real good top pick. That's typical Sox and my prediction .

Luckily in baseball the correlation between higher draft pick and historical output is relatively low

kittle42
07-31-2013, 11:43 PM
Luckily in baseball the correlation between higher draft pick and historical output is relatively low

Historically, sure - but a lot of great ones in the pretty recent past:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_first_overall_Major_League_Baseball_draft_ picks

Brian26
07-31-2013, 11:45 PM

Right. This isn't the NBA where you lose out on LeBron if you drop to #2. If the Sox are in the top five and do their homework, they should do just fine.

doublem23
07-31-2013, 11:49 PM
Historically, sure - but a lot of great ones in the pretty recent past:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_first_overall_Major_League_Baseball_draft_ picks

The #1 and #2 draft pick have the highest outputs but after that, it is anarchy

amsteel
07-31-2013, 11:50 PM
In reality it's our fault for, despite the circumstance, thinking they'd actually win a game.

Will the Sox be favored in any game from here on out that Sale isn't starting?

DrCrawdad
07-31-2013, 11:52 PM
They will miraculously go on a run at the end of the year and lose out on a real good top pick. That's typical Sox and my prediction.

I don't doubt that.

Yeah, he got a real nice contract for 35 RBI at this point in the year.

And then there is Swisher clowning the Sox and laughing his rear end off at the Sox expense.

In reality it's our fault for, despite the circumstance, thinking they'd actually win a game.

Will the Sox be favored in any game from here on out that Sale isn't starting?

I don't have any confidence they'll win when Sale starts.

DrCrawdad
07-31-2013, 11:54 PM
Makes sense. The Sox have great starting pitching, but their offense, defense, and relief pitching are barely junior-college quality.

Just read that Quintana leads MLB with 14 no-decisions. Yikes.

Embarrassing, embarrassing.

TaylorStSox
08-01-2013, 12:06 AM
Realistically, the only way to get Garcia big league AB's is to bench Konerko and move Viciedo to DH. That might improve the team though. I'm not sure we want that.

Boondock Saint
08-01-2013, 12:13 AM
I don't have anything to add as far as the game goes, but I wanted to say that the thread title is super clever.

soxfanreggie
08-01-2013, 12:27 AM
It sucks that every guy that isn't named Sale is on the team..

I disagree - I like having Quintana, Santiago, and now Rienzo. At least we have a bright future with starting pitching. Who would have thought that list wouldn't include Danks and Floyd a few years ago.

WLL1855
08-01-2013, 12:38 AM

Yeah, I hate the idea we could be paying someone real dollars to be the closer for this team instead of having Reed for the job.

slavko
08-01-2013, 12:40 AM
The blame for the rundown's on the coaching. One throw's all you need to close it out. So blame the manager and you're not far off. Reed usually has trouble with the last out. Today it started with the first batter. Jones has got it back. He might be the 2014 closer.

They'll win again, put the sharp objects away.

JB98
08-01-2013, 12:41 AM
This team is 2-10 against Cleveland. My goodness. The Sox are keeping the Indians in the race almost all by themselves.

For whatever reason, Cleveland owns Reed. As soon as Brantley doubled to start the ninth, you just knew he was going to blow it.

I hated the decision to walk Swisher in the ninth. He has fewer RBIs than washed-up Paul Konerko this year. He's no one to fear. Strike that fool out, then put Kipnis on and take your chance with Cabrera.

MtGrnwdSoxFan
08-01-2013, 12:42 AM
I disagree - I like having Quintana, Santiago, and now Rienzo. At least we have a bright future with starting pitching. Who would have thought that list wouldn't include Danks and Floyd a few years ago.

I'm not going to throw Danks under the bus yet. I want to give him this year to shake off the post-injury rust, then see what he does next season.

Also, I'm not going to declare Rienzo a key pitcher of the future yet. He pitched well in his debut, but let's see how he does the rest of the season before we pencil him in as a starter.

ChicagoG19
08-01-2013, 12:48 AM
How the **** was this team .500 after 48 games? That is the bigger miracle imo.

SI1020
08-01-2013, 12:53 AM
How the **** was this team .500 after 48 games? That is the bigger miracle imo. They are 16-41 since then which translates to 45.47 wins in a season. Historically bad. I can't remember any Sox team playing so pathetically.

captain54
08-01-2013, 12:59 AM

Remarkably, he's ranked #2 in saves in the AL Central.. He had a horrible June and a slightly but not much better July...

He makes $500K.. He's not going anywhere..

WhiteSox5187
08-01-2013, 01:23 AM
Remarkably, he's ranked #2 in saves in the AL Central.. He had a horrible June and a slightly but not much better July...

I think I saw he has a 6.55 ERA since either July 1st or his last 11 outings. I know the ERA is correct but I am not sure the date that it has been accumulated since.

RockJock07
08-01-2013, 01:28 AM

No doubt, all Sox fans should want this team to be really bad. Getting the highest draft pick next year is paramount to this rebuilding job Hahn has in front of him.

ZombieRob
08-01-2013, 01:30 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DF8-ppw8Kpw This guy has what is an early projected draft rank and list

LoveYourSuit
08-01-2013, 08:40 AM

Not saying he should go anywhere. But this idea that we are set at closer for years to come IMO is way off.

Every position on this team should be open game next year other than #1 starter.

SCCWS
08-01-2013, 09:05 AM
Lost in all the trade talk the last few weeks is the manager and staff. Will Robin and/or Manto be retained???. Was Garcia sent to AAA for more Abs or to keep him away from Manto?? I think the status of both will be debated quite a bit as we move forward.

If the season ended today, Cleveland would be in the playoffs. Francona has done a good job with a club which seems pretty average on paper.

tstrike2000
08-01-2013, 09:07 AM
I think I saw he has a 6.55 ERA since either July 1st or his last 11 outings. I know the ERA is correct but I am not sure the date that it has been accumulated since.

Between Reed, Jones, and Veal, those are three guys who've all fallen off since last year.

SI1020
08-01-2013, 09:43 AM
Lost in all the trade talk the last few weeks is the manager and staff. Will Robin and/or Manto be retained???. Was Garcia sent to AAA for more Abs or to keep him away from Manto?? I think the status of both will be debated quite a bit as we move forward.

If the season ended today, Cleveland would be in the playoffs. Francona has done a good job with a club which seems pretty average on paper. I wish he was our manager.

captain54
08-01-2013, 10:06 AM
Not saying he should go anywhere. But this idea that we are set at closer for years to come IMO is way off.

I hear ya. But at his salary, and not eligible for arbitration until 2015 I think he'd have to really pull a choke job consistently for them to look elsewhere.

captain54
08-01-2013, 10:08 AM
Between Reed, Jones, and Veal, those are three guys who've all fallen off since last year.

which makes the "quality starts" stat damn near meaningless in the scheme of things..

voodoochile
08-01-2013, 10:09 AM
Wait, it matters right now?

No sorry was bad wording. What I meant is it won't matter how many bats he gets in September because he won't have another option, so even though he probably won't be playing every day it's all bonus at bats.

Harry Chappas
08-01-2013, 10:32 AM
For those that follow amateur baseball (I mean besides the Sox), is there an early consensus on who the top 3-4 picks are for next year? If so, who are they?

Now that the trade deadline has come and gone, I need something else to keep my interest...

Boondock Saint
08-01-2013, 10:40 AM
For those that follow amateur baseball (I mean besides the Sox), is there an early consensus on who the top 3-4 picks are for next year? If so, who are they?

Now that the trade deadline has come and gone, I need something else to keep my interest...

Somebody posted a YouTube video on here somewhere with some preliminary draft rankings, and from what I recall, based (only!) on those rankings the Sox will be either drafting a pitcher, a shortstop, or reaching for a catcher or OF.

slavko
08-01-2013, 10:40 AM

This theory bumps up against the theory that Danks has to be in the rotation because he makes $14M. Can both be true? Must either be true?

white sox bill
08-01-2013, 10:52 AM
I tuned in at bottom of 9th, when Tribe was starting to bat. Thought gee should I get my BP raised and watch a blown save or go to bed? I took the latter and spared myself. I could call myself a visionary. But I wont. Anyone could see that coming.

2 more months folks, 2 more months and we are out of our misery.

PaleHoser
08-01-2013, 11:28 AM
I hated the decision to walk Swisher in the ninth. He has fewer RBIs than washed-up Paul Konerko this year. He's no one to fear. Strike that fool out, then put Kipnis on and take your chance with Cabrera.

+1. I know Swisher beat us with a walk-off earlier in the season, but that d-bag can never come through in a tough spot. No question in my mind Swisher would look at strike three.

It's not like Reed's throws a lot of ground balls anyway. Doesn't make one bit of sense.

Chez
08-01-2013, 12:02 PM
I wish he was our manager.

The Sox haven't hired a manager with big-league managerial experience since 1989 -- Jeff Torborg!!

Lamont, Bevington, Manuel, Ozzie and Robin were all rookie managers.

kittle42
08-01-2013, 12:38 PM
The Sox haven't hired a manager with big-league managerial experience since 1989 -- Jeff Torborg!!

Wow - great point. At least the first four had coaching experience. Ventura is pretty much an unforgivable hire for that position.

hawkjt
08-01-2013, 01:34 PM

On that list linked here, the top 3 guys are pitchers,with 2 SS and 6 pitchers in the top 8.

Wish there was a Joe Mauer or A-Rod type hitter available....Sox find pitching,but hitting? Not so much.

harwar
08-01-2013, 01:57 PM
Yea, that's about all there is left to cheer for this season .. watching them lose game after game (and i watch almost every game) won't be so bad if there is a payoff at the end of this..

ZombieRob
08-01-2013, 04:21 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DF8-ppw8Kpw Here's that booard again. Carlos Rodon is the only one I know about. Maybe some of you more hard core fans can tell us about some of these guys and who the Sox should look at

mahagga73
08-01-2013, 10:15 PM
I don't doubt that.

And then there is Swisher clowning the Sox and laughing his rear end off at the Sox expense.

I don't have any confidence they'll win when Sale starts.
They never win even when Sale starts.

mahagga73
08-01-2013, 10:18 PM
I wish he was our manager.
Yeah, you knew the Tribe was going to be much better this year . They are a pitcher or two from serious title contention I think.

slavko
08-02-2013, 12:15 AM

Chuck Tanner led them out of the wilderness in 1970-1975 without big league experience but he had a ton of minor league experience. And the wilderness is where we are right now. Need a Dick Allen type in here.

DrCrawdad
08-02-2013, 12:32 AM

Amazing. I never thought about that. The difference with Ventura is that he has no coaching experience.